• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tamales Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vox-Pop said:
Anyone just get asked all the time if they want to buy tamales or champurrado? It happens everytime when I go to target, laundromat, or market.

I get asked all the time.

FWIW I've never bought tamales off a stranger in a parking lot.

I doubt they're trying to poison me, but who knows what kind of sanitation practices they followed while making them ?

Noshino

I love tamales, unfortunately just not the ones from Mexico...

For some reason Mexican food (and central american food) doesn't tend to be of my taste.

Best tamales I ever had were from Mala, a town south of Lima, Peru. Actually the food in that town was fucking bananas, really wish I could eat there every weekend... :lol

jett said:
I don't care for tamales, but I really like humitas.

Humitas? which country/kind?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Noshino said:

For some reason Mexican food (and central american food) doesn't tend to be of my taste.

fanscity.gif

Tamales are great but you really have to get them from a good restaurant.

If you're in the Bay Area I strongly recommend Tacubaya in Berkeley, get their Tamal. Holy shit, the mole sauce is just perfect.

So that's what tamales look like huh. Looks pretty disgusting.

Mexicans are pretty much non-existent here so I would never even see such a thing.

Chavelo said:
Chale, la neta no se... solamente se que valian verga y se emputo la chava por que no me gustaron...

Tal vez las pupusas de el salvador estan bien buenas.... y tambien las chavas :-3

Wow, way to rape your mother tongue.

itxaka

Defeatist
so tamales are kind of chinese rolls but filled with pork and some mexican sauce?

and they are typical christmas snacks? Holy fuck sign me up. Never heard of the, never had one but now I want them. Much better than those stupid nougat candy we get. Fuck turron give me pork motherfuckers.

CRS

Pork is just one of various fillings. The ones I've had are pork (various styles), chicken (various styles), chili+cheese, and pineapple.

They're far from snacks. Quite filling and very delicious. They're not exclusive to Christmas, just traditionally made during it.

Noshino said:
Best tamales I ever had were from Mala, a town south of Lima, Peru. Actually the food in that town was fucking bananas, really wish I could eat there every weekend... :lol
Yes, I love Peruvian tamales. Probably because I'm Peruvian. :lol

itxaka said:
There is a picture back there and they look like it. like a roll or something filled with pork. don't be an ass :lol
You mean something like this? What're in the US (in English) called "steamed buns"?

Because that'd be the same general idea, with tamale dough being made of nixtamalized corn instead of wheat.

"Chinese roll" in the US would bring to mind egg rolls and the like, which'd only be at most structurally similar, and to which other kinds of Mexican or Mexican/American food would be a lot closer.

itxaka

Defeatist
slidewinder said:
You mean something like this? What're in the US (in English) called "steamed buns"?

Because that'd be the same general idea, with tamale dough being made of nixtamalized corn instead of wheat.

"Chinese roll" in the US would bring to mind egg rolls and the like, which'd only be at most structurally similar.

Yes! That is what I meant. Thanks!

Now...I guess if Mexican restaurant in my area will have them...

Are they consumed the rest of the year or just for Christmas?

Chavelo

Rocket Punch said:
Wow, way to rape your mother tongue.
Mother tongue?

That's the spanish dialect I grew up, man. Downtown Guadalajara.

Sorry for ruining your night, chicano studies undergraduate. :-/

itxaka said:
Yes! That is what I meant. Thanks!

Now...I guess if Mexican restaurant in my area will have them...

Are they consumed the rest of the year or just for Christmas?
Yeah, for special occasions, with Christmas being the big one by far. Are you in Europe somewhere? Mexican restaurants in the US will generally always have them on the menu, but they can often be very half-assed.

iFootball

carvasd said:
.. I just wanted to say that today, while in Mexico for the holidays, we had the best breakfast ever, which consisted of "Tamales verdes" (green salsa tamales) that we bought from a lady that sells them from a huge barrel that sits on the sidewalk, outside a traditional Mexican bakery from which we also bought the "bolillos", which are an essential part of any tamales meal!
... What a coincidence... right after my last post, I went to a traditional "Posada"... Tamales Verdes for dinner!, these were pretty good too, served along with "ponche" and "atole de nuez y cajeta"... And yes, there were at least two piñatas to break :D

itxaka

Defeatist
slidewinder said:
Yeah, for special occasions, with Christmas being the big one by far. Are you in Europe somewhere? Mexican restaurants in the US will generally always have them on the menu, but they can often be very half-assed.

Yep, I'm on Spain. We are not missing mexican people here, but the restaurants are kind of lacking the "real" food. They look like stereotype mexican bars(wrestling, sombreros, zapata :lol ) so I'm not sure if i'll be able to get one, but oh boy, I'm gonna look for them. They look delicious!

Lonely1 said:
Green Sauce Oaxaca style (banana leaf) chicken tamales is where is at. Corn leaf-style are better served inside a bolillo, for a guajolota. Mmm...
QFT. Also, Lonely1 seems to be the only one that has consistently shown true tamale knowledge in this thread. The rest should be ashamed.

And :lol at Colorado being Mexican Central.

None of you guys ever been to Pueblo? No, it's not the American "Mexico central" (whatever that would mean) but it's not exactly the heart of white-bread Gringoland, either. Great chiles around there in the fall.
itxaka said:
Yep, I'm on Spain. We are not missing mexican people here, but the restaurants are kind of lacking the "real" food. They look like stereotype mexican bars(wrestling, sombreros, zapata :lol ) so I'm not sure if i'll be able to get one, but oh boy, I'm gonna look for them. They look delicious!
Yeah, that's how many of the Mexican restaurants in the US are, too :lol Tamales freeze fairly well, so you can sometimes get some good ones in places that aren't all that great when it comes to their own cooking. Really, though, the best thing to do would be to research on the internet and cook your own.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm not even mad at the OP. I just feel sorry for him. He'll never know the deliciousness of a good tamale. =(

Gianny

Ummm soo good. I used to eat this like if they were cookies when I went to study Spanish in Antigua Guatemala

Just after finished cooking!!! With a lime and some bread :D

37hqjgv

3797379662_40e582474d.jpg

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Tamales are only but one of many different mexican dishes. No one is required to like them. I noticed that those who do not are usually of white decent, and don't like the corn, or masa that is used in tamales. I frankly don't give a shit who does and doesn't like them, so long as they leave me alone and not prevent me from eating them.

jett

D-Member
Noshino said:

Humitas? which country/kind?

Peruvian of course, my man. :p

thefit

Tamales are a very Mexican Christmas tradition, its like Thanksgiving dinner you kinda just have it once a year though technically you could eat it year round. Most Mexicans party on the 24th till midnight, open presents and reserve the 25th for church and visiting family to whom you give some tamales too.

I feel sorry for the pinche op tamales are the best. I'll be making tamales on the 25th and post some pics of my tamales.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
OP is fail.

Tamales at Christmas are one of my favorite things. All of my hispanic friends bring me Tamales made by their grandmother and I am in a pig and lard induced coma for weeks.

I love Tamales. And Mexican food in general. TexMex as well.

Basically, fuck you OP.

Verano

Azuran said:
Hell if I know. I blame my grandma for making the worst masa in history. They just don't taste the same anymore.

It's a curse man

I usually go with my mahs to a store called Amapola and buy our masa for tamales from there..check your local mexican store or ask where can you buy masa at. Just ask any old mexican.

Verano

Regulus Tera said:
Te paso los acentos y los signos de puntuación, pero no manches güey, eso ya es pura hueva. :lol

I know my accents (llanas, esdrujulas, etc) and punctuation...
I just don't have a mexican keyboard hermano.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Verano said:
I know my accents (llanas, esdrujulas, etc) and punctuation...
I just don't have a mexican keyboard hermano.

^^^Es "chingues", no "chinges". :p

Trip Warhawkins said:
Yeah sometimes it's frustrating for us Mexicans living in Mexico to see bastardized recipes presented as "the real thang"; I can get behind some adaptation for the American palate, but damn...'tho I will eat anything including the tamales tom cruz posted.

edit: Lonely1, tortas de tamal? really? uggghh...

At least you can taste the real thing over there. TexMex is so prevalent over here. I haven't had a good torta ahogada in years. :(

noire

Unconfirmed Member
KingOfKong said:
They're just tamales and they are not that good.

For real. Every once in awhile, I get them thinking 'maybe the ones I've had before just weren't good ones.' I guess the problem is that I expect more flavor than just corn meal, and that's why I'm always disappointed.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
MagicJackBauer said:
I'm surprised Taco Bell hasn't bastardized the tamale yet.

they are too busy making of foods that don't really exist and then bastardizing those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom