• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tantalus Media (Funky Barn) wants staff with Wii U experience for AAA Next-Gen title

WAIT! The comments are piecing together that it's Minecraft, that... actually fits and it was "rumored", fits the Tantalus label.

Why would they not go with 4J for that as they're doing all the other console versions?

It's not really from a top-notch publisher is it? I'm having trouble reconciling AAA and the Tantalus brand which seems to be mostly movie tie-ins or games with cartoon aesthetics. RPGs like Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia could fit the bill, but they would probably use the Straight Right core brand.

Just went through a list of 360 games and found no obvious picks, but here's some that almost kinda make sense:

Maybe TMNT Out of the Shadows? Star Ocean: The Last Hope? Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3? Enslaved: Oddysey to the West? Child of Eden? Beautiful Katamari? The IdolMaster? Something Namco Bandai?

Screw it, I'm just assuming it's a Telltale game. The Walking Dead it is.

Oh how I love the anticipation of waiting for these hints to be revealed as a game. What could it be? Final Fantasy 13-3? To fit nicely with that old miiverse leak.

WillyFive

Considering the continued goal of having all console versions of Minecraft have parity with one another, I don't see how having an entirely different developer will help that goal.

Oregano

Well with Deus Ex it seems Tantalus took the initiative and went to Square Enix so they could have done the same for Minecraft. 4J didn't seem interested in a Wii U version after all.

I am trying to think of other recent games it could be but I'm at a bit of a loss. Not core but AAA is a fairly narrow descriptor for PS3/360 games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wow, unexpected hints!
I'm not sure what could be. All I know is that I'm not sad about this, Minecraft and the other rumored third party exclusive partnership for Wii U
About this: I just hope it's a good game I haven't play yet. Let's see

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's really hard to predict this one. for many reasons.
Tantalus is really tight with Straight Right. Straight right worked on

Mass Effect 3, published by EA. EA is a top notch western publisher.
Deus Ex HR, published by SE, Japanes publisher, but under Eidos label western publisher)

Both are up-enanched-ports (espeically Deus-ex). Deus-ex is cited by these hints directly.

But:

both were AAA mature games. This one should be a AAA "T" or "E" rated game, labeled Tantalus and not Straight Right.

So, considering the publisher tidbits, could be a game from:

EA
Activision
Ubisoft
Eidos
Warner Bros

But it seems that Activision, Warner Bros and Ubisoft already have other studios handling Wii U projects (Tryarch, Vicarious vision, various Ubi teams, Human head), so it could really be an EA or an Eidos game.

From the comments, it seems a port of an old game, at least an already available game for PS360, imho. With heavy re-studies of the interface due to the GamePad, like Deus Ex.

Which could be the EA and/or Eidos games not rated M that would benefit from GamePad features?

I think that both the Minecraft and the Japanese-esclusive partnership rumores are separated to this one too.

nampad

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What if this is a PC game, not a console one? Something that can replace the mouse with the gamepad? I would surely love some strategy game on Wii U.

Oregano

After the performance of the recent late ports and multiplatform titles onthe Wii U, I am kind of surprised a publisher is still greenlighting such a project.
Didn't all of them fail commercially except Rayman Legends which started as a Wii U exclusive?

From the sounds of it Tantalus is approaching pubs with these ideas and I bet they are keeping budgets low. God knows how but I doubt Deus Ex would have been greenlit if it had a sizable budget.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
After the performance of the recent late ports and multiplatform titles onthe Wii U, I am kind of surprised a publisher is still greenlighting such a project.
Didn't all of them fail commercially except Rayman Legends which started as a Wii U exclusive?

If the ports are really doable with one-two people, maybe the Wii U ports were still profitable? If you then have an external dev to make the game, there would almost be no opportunity cost. I'm also really puzzled what this could be. Portal would be a good guess based on the discription, but does Valve count as a major publisher? Same for Sonic Generations.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Does Total War: Rome II count as AAA? (I like these speculation threads even if they end up in disappointment)

Top Bottom