• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tantalus Media (Funky Barn) wants staff with Wii U experience for AAA Next-Gen title

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this via Nintendo Life, and thought it could be worth mentioning (due to the very few third party titles announced for Wii U in 2014):

Wii U owners have had to endure plenty of game announcements that have skipped Wii U in recent months, so we're happy to jump on any news that suggests an upcoming project is destined for the Nintendo system alongside its new rivals in the market. It seems that a "new AAA Next-Gen title" from Tantalus Media, a studio based in Australia, will be including Wii U in its development that's scheduled to start this month.

A December job listing for Contract Engine Programmers cites "Nintendo Wii or Wii U development experience" as a desirable quality in candidates, with the similar development infrastructure between the systems likely meaning that those with experience on the Wii will at least have some groundwork to start on the HD system.

Added (as people have pointed out, may be a port by Straight Right):

For those that prefer a bit of optimism, Straight Right did post a practically identical job listing in September 2013, so perhaps there is a degree of cross-collaboration between the sister studios.
Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._with_wii_u_experience_for_new_triple_a_title

From Tantalus Media's site:

Contract Engine Programmers.
We are about to start a new AAA Next-Gen title in January 2014, and are looking to fill two positions. We are interviewing immediately:

Reports to the project Producer.

General Duties:

• Working closely with producers, game designers and artists to implement a next-generation game
  • Implementing, optimizing and maintaining core game engine systems
  • Modify, enhance and maintain asset pipelines and tools
  • Staying up-to-date with new technologies and architectures
  • Following Straight Right's standards and best practices
  • Assisting and mentoring other programmers in your areas of expertise
Skills, Abilities and Qualifications:

• Excellent C++ programming skills
  • Familiarity with large-scale C++ project development
  • Good grasp of and experience writing in assembler dialects (e.g. MIPS, PowerPC, X86)
  • Experience writing in shader languages (e.g. GLSL, HLSL)
  • Good familiarity with engine architectures
  • Excellent problem solving skills
  • Ability to write clear, robust, maintainable code
  • Demonstrated ability to create and deliver to deadlines
  • Ability to work as part of a team
  • Excellent written and verbal communication skills
  • Good interpersonal skills
  • A genuine enthusiasm and passion for the games industry
Desirable:

• Nintendo Wii or Wii U development experience
  • 3 years' professional software development experience
  • Experience with code optimization and profiling tools (i.e. VTune, PIX)
  • C# and/or a scripting language (e.g. Python)
  • Experience interfacing with 3D art applications (e.g. Maya)
  • A degree in a course such as Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics preferred. Self taught applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of competency with game related demo code
  • Must be eligible to work in Australia (we cannot sponsor working visas).

Tantalus's most recent project was Funky Barn, one of the launch titles for Wii U. They have developed a total of 41 titles, including:

• Pony Trails - iOS
  • Funky Barn 3D - 3DS
  • Ben 10: Galactic Racing - DS
  • Megamind - DS/PSP
  • Legend of the Guardians - DS
  • Drift Street International - DSi
  • Super Speed Machines - DS
  • MX vs ATV: Reflex - DS/PSP/PSP Go
  • Pony Friends 2 - DS/Wii/PC
  • Unreal 2 The Awakening - Xbox
  • Top Gear Rally - GBA
  • South Park Rally - Dreamcast/PC/PS/N64
  • Wipeout - Saturn

pig1riv7.png

You know fans are desperate when the best game that they can come up with for a developer that might possibly be developing a WiiU game is Funky Barn.

Oregano

Straight Right is a part of Tantalus as well though. They worked on Mass Effect 3 Wii U and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut.

I imagine if it's an AAA game then it's Straight Right doing a port.

Richie

Straight Right is a part of Tantalus as well though. They worked on Mass Effect 3 Wii U and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut.

I imagine if it's an AAA game then it's Straight Right doing a port.

This is what I was thinking too.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I misread Funky Barn as Barnyard brought back memories of this;

220px-Barnyard_(Music_from_the_Motion_Picture).jpg

Good times good time indeed.

But yeah while I am curious to see what they are working on, I don't expect to see anything amazing.

Effect

They could simply be partly coding another company's game and need more staff. Porting a game for another company or helping in part do that. Doesn't have to mean they themselves are making a game. I thought a lot of the smaller developers did this.

tebunker

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'd like to see Straight Right do an original Wii U game with a full budget. They've clearly shown they can handle the system right.

Son Of D

I'd probably go with a (late) port of Thief. It's cross-gen which means it's perfect for a Wii U port and SR and Eidos Montreal have already worked together on Deus Ex.

Seems likely. For some reason Tomb Raider keeps coming to mind as well. Although it could be something random like Remember Me or Metal Gear Rising.

Glass Rebel

I'd probably go with a (late) port of Thief. It's cross-gen which means it's perfect for a Wii U port and SR and Eidos Montreal have already worked together on Deus Ex.

Oh, I completely forgot that Thief is coming out on PS360. This could be it.

I want you to take me to, FUNKY BARN!

I want you to take me to, FUNKY BARN!

It's obvious that this is a 3rd Straight Right game for Wii U, they did say they were working on a new IP for Wii U, but it's been utter confusion if that was Funky Barn or not.

Not gonna lie, I'd like to see Straight Right do an original Wii U game with a full budget. They've clearly shown they can handle the system right.
That would be interesting. They're really good at incorporating the gamepad in traditional games without it being obtrusive. Nintendo should look into that, they need western 3rd party games.

That would be interesting. They're really good at incorporating the gamepad in traditional games without it being obtrusive. Nintendo should look into that, they need western 3rd party games.

If Retro and Next Level are anything to go by, Nintendo would probably just have them make the next Mario Party.

How about something unexpected? Dishonored would be really nice, but of course Bethesda really doesn't like Nintendo platforms it seems (when was the last time they ever put out a meaningful game on anything Nintendo?).

Or how about Saint's Row IV?

I do not see ANYTHING from EA or Take 2 being it, so no GTA V or Bioshock Infinite or Need For Speed Rivals, etc.

BTW, I'm actually preferable to late ports. Why? Because they can be much improved where as on-time games can risk being even under par. Mass Essect 3 suffered from being a launch title and such likely is why most of the DLC wasn't included (why would EA not allow it back then?), then again Most Wanted U didn't either and it was post-launch and was advertised as definitive. But I would think Straight Right would've loved to have put in everything if they could've.

How about Transformers: Fall of Cybertron? That would be fucking amazing, I think that's better than War for Cybertron isn't it? God I want to see that so badly.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So any guesses which game they'll port?

Got fingers cross for Bayonetta 1 port...

It won't be a Bayonetta 1 port. ;_;

TOMB RAIDER: NOT QUITE DEFINITIVE EDITION

I would buy it, if it turned out to be Tomb Raider.

If Retro and Next Level are anything to go by, Nintendo would probably just have them make the next Mario Party.

Nintendo let Next Level work on Punch Out Wii and Retro Studio wanted to work on Donkey Kong.

Stop acting like Nintendo is mean to them.

AAA huh? They must mean batteries.

41y5DXyqNDL._SL500_.jpg

Didn't those Tiger handheld take AA batteries?

Son Of D

I'm trying to think of third parties close to Nintendo (since they'll be more likely to want to put their games on Wii U).

Capcom - RE5 or 6. Ultra SFIV. UMvC3 (yeah right). DmC or DMC HD collection.
Namco - Soul Calibur 5? SC2HD? Ridge Racer Unbounded?
Tecmo Koei - Dynasty Warriors 8? Dead or Alive 5?
SE/Eidos - Lightning Returns, Thief, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs?
Sega - Sonic Generations, Bayonetta, Vanquish?

Nibel

Oh boy, I think Funky Barn 2 being exclusive will cause a huge bloodbath just like Bayonetta 2 did

"Stealing OUR animals"

I'm trying to think of third parties close to Nintendo (since they'll be more likely to want to put their games on Wii U).

Capcom - RE5 or 6. Ultra SFIV. UMvC3 (yeah right). DmC or DMC HD collection.
Namco - Soul Calibur 5? SC2HD? Ridge Racer Unbounded?
Tecmo Koei - Dynasty Warriors 8? Dead or Alive 5?
SE/Eidos - Lightning Returns, Thief, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs?
Sega - Sonic Generations, Bayonetta, Vanquish?

I just can't see Straight Right working with a Japanese game. Naturally Sonic Generations and Bayo 1 would be my top picks, but Platinum should be more than able to do that on their own. And Gens better not ever count as the 3rd Sonic game. A bonus, nothing more.

Top Bottom