• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tantalus Media (Funky Barn) wants staff with Wii U experience for AAA Next-Gen title

mclem

Oh boy, I think Funky Barn 2 being exclusive will cause a huge bloodbath just like Bayonetta 2 did

"Stealing OUR animals"

I believe the appropriate term is rustling.

55kFqKx.png

Regiruler

I just can't see Straight Right working with a Japanese game. Naturally Sonic Generations and Bayo 1 would be my top picks, but Platinum should be more than able to do that on their own. And Gens better not ever count as the 3rd Sonic game. A bonus, nothing more.

The 3 game deal was said to be all exclusives, no?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;95848684 said:
  • Pony Trails - iOS
  • Funky Barn 3D - 3DS
  • Ben 10: Galactic Racing - DS
  • Megamind - DS/PSP
  • Legend of the Guardians - DS
    [*]Drift Street International - DSi
  • Super Speed Machines - DS
  • MX vs ATV: Reflex - DS/PSP/PSP Go
  • Pony Friends 2 - DS/Wii/PC
  • Unreal 2 The Awakening - Xbox
  • Top Gear Rally - GBA
  • South Park Rally - Dreamcast/PC/PS/N64
  • Wipeout - Saturn
Actually it's 'Driift Street International', and it's quite a decent arcade racer on the DSiWare.

ed: ..or perhaps my memory is mix-n-matching again, and it's with a single 'i'.

ed2: yes, a WiiWare is 'Driift Mania', but the DSiWare is Drift Street International. My bad.

Eusis

Huh, Wipeout Saturn. Coming off of Wipeout XL on the PS1 I think that instilled a knee jerk reaction against lower FPSes in racers for me, but I don't think XL was 60 FPS on PS1 given the hardware and I don't RECALL it being as smooth as Tobal or newer games, so that leaves me wondering how damn low it was on Saturn.

It'll be funny if these people end up making one of the best damn games out there though given their trackrecord consists of ports, licensed games, and Funky Barn.

Rlan

Back in the day Tantalus did some pretty great porting stuff - Manx TT Superbike and House of the Dead for the Saturn, or did reasonable games on PSP and DS. Due to the changing climate of gaming (especially for Aussie developers, who had a super rough time in 2009 - 2011) they've gone more iOS and more basic - Funky Barn style.

Never judge a developer by the shitty cheap shit they have to do to stay alive.

Son Of D

I just can't see Straight Right working with a Japanese game. Naturally Sonic Generations and Bayo 1 would be my top picks, but Platinum should be more than able to do that on their own. And Gens better not ever count as the 3rd Sonic game. A bonus, nothing more.

Guess you have a good point, especially about Bayonetta. It's hard to think of a western third party title it could be. Eidos' games seem to be good choices. A game from Ubisoft could be it, although outside of AssCreed and Ghost Recon what is there in terms of port potential? Activision maybe?

Guess you have a good point, especially about Bayonetta. It's hard to think of a western third party title it could be. Eidos' games seem to be good choices. A game from Ubisoft could be it, although outside of AssCreed and Ghost Recon what is there in terms of port potential? Activision maybe?

I really wanted to see Ubi games like Far Cry 3, Ghost Recon Future Soldier make it over, as well as older games like Prince of Persia 2008.

As I said from Activision I'd adore Fall of Cybertron on Wii U, naturally we'll see a game based on the 4th TF film Age of Extinction (probably by High Moon again as they did the 3rd movie game on PS360), but also putting out a Fall of Cybertron port on Wii U could be a great idea.

Shame about Eurocom being dead, as I would've adored them redoing a port of Goldeneye Wii on Wii U (not based on Reloaded, but a proper Wii to Wii U port) as I heard there were issues on PS360 and they bizarrely used a new engine for Reloaded. I don't know if Straight Right can do it, but make it a PS360 port anyway, this was just something I only wanted Eurocom to do (would've taken this over Legends any day :( ). Looking at their list at GameFly, Activision barely did any native PS360 games last year or so at all, must've put most of that budget on COD.

If Ubisoft don't bring over The Division or The Crew, Straight Right can do that for 2015. Or Destiny if that doesn't come over by Activision.

L Thammy

I'm trying to think of third parties close to Nintendo (since they'll be more likely to want to put their games on Wii U).

Capcom - RE5 or 6. Ultra SFIV. UMvC3 (yeah right). DmC or DMC HD collection.
Namco - Soul Calibur 5? SC2HD? Ridge Racer Unbounded?

I'm kinda surprised that there aren't more HD collections on Wii U. Yakuza and nothing else. Don't those ports have teeny tiny teams working on them?

We are about to start a new AAA Next-Gen title in January 2014, and are looking to fill two positions. We are interviewing immediately:

If it starts in January 2014, we won't see it until at least mid-to-late 2015...even into 2016 or 2017. That's quite a long time to wait for a console whose future is uncertain.

Some Nobody

If it starts in January 2014, we won't see it until at least mid-to-late 2015...even into 2016 or 2017. That's quite a long time to wait for a console whose future is uncertain.

I was thinking the same thing, unless it's a port of an existing title. Well, I think we'll have a Wii U in 2016 though.

I'm kinda surprised that there aren't more HD collections on Wii U. Yakuza and nothing else. Don't those ports have teeny tiny teams working on them?

Now that you bold it, I forgot that DMC HD was by a western dev (Pipeworks of all people), Capcom could be a candidate as well.

Personally out of any of Capcom's PS360 games, I'd like to see the original Lost Planet (but actually I'd take that on 3DS instead, work that SSFIV magic again!). Devil May Cry 4 would be PERFECT to accompany Bayonetta 2. :)

sörine

Banned
I agree with the guesses for Tomb Raider or Thief. Both seem like natural picks after Deus Ex HR and SE/Eidos seemed pretty happy with Straight Right's work on it.

Ubisoft and Activision each have enough internal studio support and platform familiarity to handle any ports themselves. I can't really see any other western publishers that would be interested in further AAA ports except Warner or Disney and they both don't really have anything recent that makes sense. The major Japanese publishers don't seem like they'd outsource to the west for AAA ports unless it was for games already developed in the west and I can't think of any good candidates there either.

sörine

Banned
ME3 and DEHR were each finished in less than a year I believe. I wouldn't rule out something like an 8 month timeline for a port.

Oregano

Actually it's 'Driift Street International', and it's quite a decent arcade racer on the DSiWare.

ed: ..or perhaps my memory is mix-n-matching again, and it's with a single 'i'.

ed2: yes, a WiiWare is 'Driift Mania', but the DSiWare is Drift Street International. My bad.

Drift Street International is pretty good. It needed more content IMO but I loved the way it looked. Dem headlights. Would love a spiritual successor on the eShop, wonder if they would name it something to fit the acronym 3DS?

Sounds like all the likely port candidates are games I haven't played but am interested in. Guess they'll be taking my money.

Rösti;95848684 said:
Saw this via Nintendo Life, and thought it could be worth mentioning (due to the very few third party titles announced for Wii U in 2014):

Added (as people have pointed out, may be a port by Straight Right):

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._with_wii_u_experience_for_new_triple_a_title

From Tantalus Media's site:

Tantalus's most recent project was Funky Barn, one of the launch titles for Wii U. They have developed a total of 41 titles, including:

• Pony Trails - iOS
  • Funky Barn 3D - 3DS
  • Ben 10: Galactic Racing - DS
  • Megamind - DS/PSP
  • Legend of the Guardians - DS
  • Drift Street International - DSi
  • Super Speed Machines - DS
  • MX vs ATV: Reflex - DS/PSP/PSP Go
  • Pony Friends 2 - DS/Wii/PC
  • Unreal 2 The Awakening - Xbox
  • Top Gear Rally - GBA
  • South Park Rally - Dreamcast/PC/PS/N64
  • Wipeout - Saturn

pig1riv7.png

Crossing my fingers for Pony Friends 3

I picked up Funky Barn on Wii U for $9 new a few months ago. Its soundtrack is wonderful. Super chill, almost Animal Crossing-ish.

Back in the day Tantalus did some pretty great porting stuff - Manx TT Superbike and House of the Dead for the Saturn, or did reasonable games on PSP and DS. Due to the changing climate of gaming (especially for Aussie developers, who had a super rough time in 2009 - 2011) they've gone more iOS and more basic - Funky Barn style.

Never judge a developer by the shitty cheap shit they have to do to stay alive.

Yeah, Tantalus has done some good stuff. Heck, their GBA version of Top Gear Rally is one of the most impressive driving games on the system.

fred

Straight Right is a part of Tantalus as well though. They worked on Mass Effect 3 Wii U and Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut.

I imagine if it's an AAA game then it's Straight Right doing a port.

This ^^^

Straight Right have proven to be very competent developers on the Wii U so far, they're certainly an indie developer I'm keeping my eye on.

Tenki

It seems it's an enhanced port of a AAA game, like Deus Ex.

This quotes are from Joss Ellis, director of development:

It is a ‘port’ but more of a complete rework for the Wii U: a bit like the work we did on Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut.

I can’t say what the title is but it is very exciting and is for an absolute top notch publisher.

This game will be credited Tantalus … it’s not an MA / 18 or ‘hard core’ game which ME-3 and DX:HR are.

http://www.nintendonews.com/2014/01...i-u-title-is-a-port-from-top-notch-publisher/

popyea

This game will be credited Tantalus … it’s not an MA / 18 or ‘hard core’ game which ME-3 and DX:HR are.

Damn, so probably not Bayo 1. Would it have to be a game that already exists on/has been announced for ps3/360? Or something completely new?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying a more ambitious title, but AAA would be rather cocky of them to say if it wasn't a port.

The news of enhanced port is pretty neat. Wonder what the likely candidates are? How many "AAA" games that match Nintendo's audience rated T or less have come out on PS360 from a 3rd party? I'm guessing it's not an HD remaster so the options should be pretty limited.

From what I've heard Straight Right/Tantalus seems to do pretty good jobs. They seem to be becoming the go to Wii U port company. Also, nice of Tantalus to comment. Looks like it's Tantalus instead of Straight Right because they're reserving that label for their "core" M-rated and such games.

jmizzal

Damn, so probably not Bayo 1. Would it have to be a game that already exists on/has been announced for ps3/360? Or something completely new?

At this point it could be something announced or unnannounced, we just know its gonna be a port but take advantage of WiiU features like Mass Effect 3 and Deus ex HR did also will throw in Batman AC which they didnt do but was a good port using WiiU features.

Taker666

it’s not an MA / 18 or ‘hard core’ game which ME-3 and DX:HR are.

That's unusual..given that pretty much all AAA games these days from big publishers are MA/18/'hard core'....other than Nintendo's own games.

Maybe a Gamecube/Wii game given a Wii U makeover? It's hard to see what they'd port over from 360/PS3 that would follow that description.

WOW, that's fantastic that we got ACTUAL hints about it! :D

So it's a Tantalus port and not like the previous M-rated games, which actually makes sense, because Tantalus for all intents and purposes is a family company, Straight Right might be the hardcore label.

Don't know if Transformers: Fall of Cybertron fits in which, it's a T-rated game, and I THINK we've seen that from Tantalus before, actually leaning towards yes as they did MX vs ATV games on DS and PSP. Or those were rated E (Reflex was).

They didn't say it was a family game like Funky Barn, but something core-ish is my hope, I mean what could they bring? Top-tier Publisher? That helps narrow it down, so along the likes of Activision, not EA (lulz Wii U support), Ubisoft, the works.

Seriously I'm drawing a blank, they have good taste in games to bring over, so far two for two have been AAA indeed. But what aside from Transformers is AAA, on PS360 (they shouldn't be doing a Wii port I would assume), that is recent (like within 2 years) is another candidate?

WAIT! The comments are piecing together that it's Minecraft, that... actually fits and it was "rumored", fits the Tantalus label.

Why would they not go with 4J for that as they're doing all the other console versions?

Son Of D

Hmm... Transformers is a potential port. Rayman Origins came to mind but I doubt that's AAA (and may feel redundant to people since Legends features levels from Origins). The first Skylanders game also comes to mind but wasn't that ported to Wii U already in Japan? Doubt it's something like Rock Band or Guitar Hero either. I really have drawn a blank.

Riki

Minecraft is not from a top notch publisher and it's already outsourced to another company.
It's not Minecraft.

prag16

Banned
...That can sound like MineCraft, indeed.

How does "top notch publisher" fit with Minecraft?

Unless they're trying to be clever. But that'd be too obvious. Obvious to the point that I doubt that's what he was going for.

Glass Joe

I don't expect AAA from the developers of Funky Barn.

I expect BAA

LOL that was pretty good!

OP is misleading though. Tantalus is known for bringing very good ports of Mass Effect 3 and Dues Ex to the Wii U. If it's AAA, I doubt it's something they're doing on their own like Funky Barn.

Top Bottom