• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tantalus on Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

takriel

Couldn't finish TP HD. The visuals are nice and all, but it's just so brown and boring for the longest time. Worst 3D Zelda imo.

Servbot24

Banned
Time to fire everyone who agreed that the Cave of Shadows was a good idea.

Oh and Midna's Lament still gets interrupted by enemy music.

Oh and Wolf Link still cant finish off downed enemies.
Nothing gives the same sense of gamer power and satisfaction as laying waste to families because someone put a cave I didn't care for in my game

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Never played TPHD, but Deus ExHR is by far the best third party port on the Wii U; it just oozes quality especially with the added functionality. Hope they get another project for the switch.

They are currently working on Sonic Mania and RIME for the Switch, which Tantalus talks about in the interview later on.

atr0cious

They are currently working on Sonic Mania and RIME for the Switch, which Tantalus talks about in the interview later on.
I meant more of Nintendo's IP, but this is also good. Didn't other smaller Nintendo studios start off doing ports, maybe Arzest(?) or Next Level Games, or were they always doing small Nintendo projects? I really want Nintendo just to do more like Hyrule warriors and give the IP to someone else to make their own thing.

Clov

I meant more of Nintendo's IP, but this is also good. Didn't other smaller Nintendo studios start off doing ports, maybe Arzest(?) or Next Level Games, or were they always doing small Nintendo projects? I really want Nintendo just to do more like Hyrule warriors and give the IP to someone else to make their own thing.

Next Level started working with Nintendo with Mario Strikers, I'm pretty sure. Arzest formed after Artoon, but to the best of my memory they've always just done the same relatively low quality titles for Nintendo.

As for Tantalus, I'd love to see them bring over another Gamecube/Wii era title to the Switch. F-Zero GX would be great to have in HD.

atr0cious

Next Level started working with Nintendo with Mario Strikers, I'm pretty sure.
Just looked it up, they actually did a transformers port for the Wii along with 360 ports like Ghost Recon, Captain America, and Spider-man, then did Punchout Wii, and the rest is history.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I loved Twilight Princess HD as it made me realised that the game may be flawed but I still have fond memories of it hence why it's my third favorite Zelda title.

Plus the addition of switching between form on the pad meant I used Wolf Link a lot more.

I will tell you this. This was almost Skyward Sword HD.

I bet you that Skyward Sword HD is in the work and will release in 2018 for the Nintendo Switch.

-shadow-

I think the Deus Ex HR Wii U Director's Cut is honestly the best version of Human Revolution. The features it adds are easily worth the visual tradeoff vs. PCs, I found it much more playable. The great tragedy of the Wii U is that we didn't get more third party ports with added gamepad features.
I'm actually a bit worried about the game going forward. Yes CEMU will be able to play it I have no doubt about that. But the game was amazing with the gamepad and I'd hate to ever lose that part as it was.

ReitStuff

Is it really fair to say that Tantalus is to blame for some of the perceived shortcomings for TP:HD? Didn't every step of the process have to be green-lit by Aonuma? I always thought of it as Tantalus was simply following the guidelines that Nintendo provided regarding the visual fidelity of TP:HD and any other changes. If you think that TP:HD should have been done better, shouldn't you be upset more at Nintendo and Aonuma, not Tantalus?

FYI, I actually loved TP:HD and thought it was a great remaster. Definitive version of a great game.

OmegaFax

I can't help but think that the time zone difference between Tantalus and Nintendo was a major factor in their decision to go with them over another western studio in either Europe or North America. Nintendo's internal studios were either preoccupied with the transition from Wii U to Switch (either building tools or reassembling their workforce to get games out in the next year or two).

That's the one thing that's never mentioned in the snippets from the linked Nintendo Everything article vs. something from Retro Studios interviews I've read in the past. Odd hours for video conferencing and insanely long flights.

I guess keeping things faithful to Twilight Princess was the best way to go. Not nearly as impressive as the 8 or so months of work Nintendo did with Wind Waker HD or Grezzo's work with Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time.

It still would be interesting to know what kind of changes they proposed for Twilight Princess HD. Maybe Nintendo was reluctant to give Twilight HD a more significant overhaul to certain aspects of the game (like lighting ... btw, liked the bloom effect in Wind Waker HD) to differentiate from Breath of the Wild.

I've only played the beginning of Twilight HD on Wii U so I can't speak in droves about the work they did on this particular port but I did play through the GC and Wii versions when they came out (and largely preferred the standard control scheme of the GC version) so I feel like the Wii U game is worth a shot.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Nintendo developed it in-house. Takuhiro Dohta was the lead programmer. He was also the lead programmer of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. He's actually largely responsible for developing that lighting engine in Nintendo Land, Wind Waker HD, and BOTW.

Not even really. Nintendo outsourced most of the ground textures to Imagica-Digitalscape, and HexaDrive basically was the technical assistant converting ID's ground textures back to Nintendo.

How many years do you think Breath of the Wild took to develop considering the team was sidetracked so many times? It certainly wasn't in full time development since the famous E3 2011 demo was it?

On topic I'd love Tantalus to do Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD for Switch. It's a crime they've never been officially done in HD!

Top Bottom