• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Bolded is working perfectly in the YouTube app, but I think the Netflix app is bugged.

DV is indicated correctly, but it's so dark it's almost unwatchable. Even setting it to bright.

Stuff tagged as Ultra HD 4K does not give the HDR indicator, but it's bumping the BL up to 100 automatically, and looks stunning. Even at the Dark setting.

What content? Are you maybe watching one of the Marvel shows? Those just seem really dark regardless of SDR and HDR. I tried A and B-ing The Defenders using the PS4 app (only supports 4k) and Roku App (supports 4K/DV) and yes PS4 is slightly brighter but blacks just seem black and no real shadow detail regardless. I don't recall the back light getting bumped in SDR.

I also tried the same with Amazon Prime. Ps4 app (only supports 1080p...wtf) and Roku App (supports 4K but only HDR10 and no DV yet). Watched Manchest by the Sea. Check out the bar scene near the beginning of the movie. The roku HDR version was SUPER dark. Like the difference between if someone was in a nightclub bar versus like a dive bar where you can actually see people's faces.

I wish there was a way to toggle between HDR and SDR instead of it just being automatic.

As a side note, if you want to see some sharp 4K on Netflix check out The Blacklist. The Marvel shows have this purposely grainy quality to them. Kind of like with games I'm not really a fan of that grain aesthetic :\

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone can answer this question...

With this TV, when I select Full RGB on my PS4, it looks fine and get no visible black crush at all. On my Xbox One, I get very noticeable black crush when set to RGB full.

So does the TV support full RGB? Or is it the Xbox?

LogicStep

So I've been wanting to get a new TV. I have a 40in Vizio 1080p and the main thing that bothers me about it is the horrible ghosting. It's especially bad in dark scenes, makes the picture look like a blurry mess.

So I want 4k and HDR plus good handling of motion so I don't have to deal with ghosting. From what I'm reading here I need to look for a 120hz TV? So that would disqualify this tv? Any recommendations that are budget friendly?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I've been wanting to get a new TV. I have a 40in Vizio 1080p and the main thing that bothers me about it is the horrible ghosting. It's especially bad in dark scenes, makes the picture look like a blurry mess.

So I want 4k and HDR plus good handling of motion so I don't have to deal with ghosting. From what I'm reading here I need to look for a 120hz TV? So that would disqualify this tv? Any recommendations that are budget friendly?

What's budget territory for you? Any tv with a 120hz panel is likely going to be be outside of budget territory.

Pigs

How is the picture from a lower viewing angle? The only place I can put a TV in my living room is on my fireplace. The Rtings review only shows how it looks from a side angle.

funcojoe

How is the picture from a lower viewing angle? The only place I can put a TV in my living room is on my fireplace. The Rtings review only shows how it looks from a side angle.

I wouldn't use this set in that kind of situation.

This isn't a family living room set, this is really just a great gaming tv with 4k and hdr Dolby vision with great input lag.

My 2014 led curved 4k still puts out a better brighter picture, minus the better input lag and hdr.

You can get a mount that lets the TV move out and down like so:

mantelmount%2Bgadgetify.gif

I would recommend that no matter what TV you end up getting.

//ARCANUM

Hey all, got a question...

So I started playing Rise of the Tomb raider on my newly purchased PS4 PRO and TCL P607 and I'm getting a weird issue. I don't know what you call it, but when I'm playing in 4K mode on TR, I'm getting a weird kinda... ghosting (I don't know what to call it) of text and some objects and stuff that's kinda purple? Like if I'm in the relics screen and am moving an object around (surrounded by black) I see all sorts of this purple "ghosting".

I don't get this at all if I use the enhanced visuals or high frame rate modes. Any ideas what's going on here?

Edit - it's kinda purple and green. Maybe some sort of weird refresh thing? I played hellblade and didn't have this issue...

So I started playing Rise of the Tomb raider on my newly purchased PS4 PRO and TCL P607 and I'm getting a weird issue. I don't know what you call it, but when I'm playing in 4K mode on TR, I'm getting a weird kinda... ghosting (I don't know what to call it) of text and some objects and stuff that's kinda purple? Like if I'm in the relics screen and am moving an object around (surrounded by black) I see all sorts of this purple "ghosting".

I don't get this at all if I use the enhanced visuals or high frame rate modes. Any ideas what's going on here?
Disable noise reduction in the roku app expert settings.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well that's certainly odd. I did have that disabled before, but somehow it turned back on.

However, disabling it did not fix the problem. Any other ideas?

not sure what's causing your issue but noise reduction needs to be turned off for every individual hdmi input and video mode iirc. not to mention roku streaming video modes.

//ARCANUM

not sure what's causing your issue but noise reduction needs to be turned off for every individual hdmi input and video mode iirc. not to mention roku streaming video modes.

That's frustrating lol! I guess I'll have to do that on everything for the next while.

Dang, wish I could figure out what's causing that. :/

With it only being in the 4K mode, I'm wondering if it's just the game. :/

I've watched a bunch of UHD Blu Rays through the Xbox one s and haven't seen this issue.... so no idea what's up. :/

Karish

That's frustrating lol! I guess I'll have to do that on everything for the next while.

Dang, wish I could figure out what's causing that. :/

With it only being in the 4K mode, I'm wondering if it's just the game. :/

I've watched a bunch of UHD Blu Rays through the Xbox one s and haven't seen this issue.... so no idea what's up. :/

I personally think the per-input settings is genius actually.

Edit - it's kinda purple and green. Maybe some sort of weird refresh thing? I played hellblade and didn't have this issue...

Ya I get a weird effect on the falling snow in 4K mode if I'm not moving a he camera. Once I move the character or camera it goes back to normal. I believe it's the game and not the TV. If I turn on enhanced mode in the game it doesn't happen.

//ARCANUM

Ya I get a weird effect on the falling snow in 4K mode if I'm not moving a he camera. Once I move the character or camera it goes back to normal. I believe it's the game and not the TV. If I turn on enhanced mode in the game it doesn't happen.

Ok well glad I'm not alone. If you go into the menu to look at relics and select one and kinda spin it around, do you see the purple/green noise I'm talking about as it spins around (check the edges)?

RedAssedApe

Banned
So someone on AVS just posted that there's a new firmware update. Supposedly some fald related fixes.

One thing to keep in mind, the last update reset some people's settings so you might want to make sure you write those down

Karish

So someone on AVS just posted that there's a new firmware update. Supposedly some fald related fixes.

One thing to keep in mind, the last update reset some people's settings so you might want to make sure you write those down
Really hope it doesn't delete our settings. Someone brave let us know

Klocker

Updating now

All settings intact including Roku app expert

Ok well glad I'm not alone. If you go into the menu to look at relics and select one and kinda spin it around, do you see the purple/green noise I'm talking about as it spins around (check the edges)?

Yup same thing happens in the menu with the relics.

Uncharted Lost Legacy looks incredible on this TV.

Just when I was starting to get over the weaknesses of this set, I start playing another game where those things stick out to me :

Anyone playing uncharted: tll? The first night time level the dirty screen effect was annoying the heck out of me. This is me right now...albeit not the part about exchanging 5 tvs lol

http://www.gamesradar.com/i-went-through-five-tvs-four-months-name-gaming/#comment-jump

What settings are you using?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yup same thing happens in the menu with the relics.

Uncharted Lost Legacy looks incredible on this TV.

What settings are you using?

default settings with hdr dark except sharpness 0, game mode on, fald high, noise reduction off

the static image is excellent but when you start panning the camera... :|

Having a scare here

Just got a 605

My Xbox and Switch signal come in just fine but my PS4 Pro (plugged into HDMI 3) is going nuts. Pictures blacks out, comes back and green horizontal lines pop up.

Any ideas anyone?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Having a scare here

Just got a 605

My Xbox and Switch signal come in just fine but my PS4 Pro (plugged into HDMI 3) is going nuts. Pictures blacks out, comes back and green horizontal lines pop up.

Any ideas anyone?

make sure set to hdmi 2.0. if the and auto everything on the ps4 side. if its acting funny its probably the cable. try using the one that came with the pro if you aren't already using it

What are the changes in the update? Is the FALD algorithim any smoother?

sounds like fald related issues. an example: avs forum member claiming it fixes this

https://twitter.com/rtingsdotcom/status/895981918663127042

make sure set to hdmi 2.0. if the and auto everything on the ps4 side. if its acting funny its probably the cable. try using the one that came with the pro if you aren't already using it

sounds like fald related issues. an example: avs forum member claiming it fixes this

https://twitter.com/rtingsdotcom/status/895981918663127042

Thanks.

Turns out my console was trying to update to new firmware while tv was switching between hdmi signals to test all hdmi inputs. the switching of signals shut the ps4 off so i had to reboot in safe mode to reinstall the firmware which its doing now.

im lucky i did not brick my console.

Klocker

Why does it seem when I set local contrast to on at any setting low med high, it appears to dim the whole picture including the whites?

I thought the point was to maintain the whites but dim the dark areas?

RedAssedApe

Banned
At $600 that's really pushing it. I'm sure TCL will come out with a better TV that includes 120hz and other features at a more expensive price

i'm not aware of any sub $1000 sets that are 120hz. maybe come black friday where they start marketing stuff down since CES and announcement of new TVs are basically forthcoming

spyder_ur

Does anyone have issues with the TV turning on/waking up? Sometimes there is a very long delay, long enough that I don't know if it is turning on or not. There's very little indication from the LED or remote.

funcojoe

Does anyone have issues with the TV turning on/waking up? Sometimes there is a very long delay, long enough that I don't know if it is turning on or not. There's very little indication from the LED or remote.

I have had it since July and wonder the same thing.

funcojoe

I can't get the update to push through manually?

From avs : I just got an e-mail from TCL support. Looks like Roku is holding back the update for some reason. But there should be a new one soon.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can't get the update to push through manually?

From avs : I just got an e-mail from TCL support. Looks like Roku is holding back the update for some reason. But there should be a new one soon.

dude they are really bad at this lol. they did this for the last firmware too.

Top Bottom