• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Karish

PS4 Netflix app was updated with hdr10 support. Someone a and b versus Dolby vision. :)

One thing I noticed is that launching of the app triggers hdr10 immediately and even when watching sdr content it's using hdr10 picture modes.

I think Xbox one s owners complained about this too...
Wait, is some Netflix content normal HDR but not accessible via the built in Roku app

Yeah, I have this update (7.7.0 build 4111-50). What I'm looking to find out is if the version currently on tvupdate.roku.com is the one I already have, or 7.7.0 Build 4135-30 that showed up OTA 2 days ago, and was promptly removed. I don't want to do a factory reset if it's the same version I already have.

4111 is what I just installed from tvupdate.roku.com yesterday.

thatJohann

I keep getting tempted to get this TV but then I ask myself if I’ll have to play the display lottery with backlight issues etc. I don’t got time for that.

How’s everyone enjoying their set? And is the RTINGS picture settings the ones everyone using?

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem: In Game Mode, the audio lags behind the picture.

It's really obvious with lip syncing in PS4 games with a lot of talking like Until Dawn and Uncharted. With Game Mode off, everything lines up fine. But with it on, it's distracting when there's a talking face on screen because their voice doesn't quite line up.

I've tested both with my sound bar (a Sony HT-XT1) and the TV speakers; same behavior. If I'm in the PS4 main menu and I turn Game Mode off and on, there's a flash of black as the visual changes but there's no break in the audio at all, which you'd expect as the audio re-syncs up to the changed picture.

So in other words, it appears Game Mode is broken (at least in my case) because it only reduces visual input lag but keeps audio lag the same.

It's not a huge deal since outside of Game Mode the input lag is still passable, but that tiny input lag when it's on is so nice.

KageMaru

PS4 Netflix app was updated with hdr10 support. Someone a and b versus Dolby vision. :)

One thing I noticed is that launching of the app triggers hdr10 immediately and even when watching sdr content it's using hdr10 picture modes.

I think Xbox one s owners complained about this too...

Yeah I checked this out and the Netflix app is unusable now IMO. You can't just throw HDR on everything and have it look right. I'm assuming the people at Netflix didn't consider TVs that don't have an HDR toggle switch like ours.

Wait, is some Netflix content normal HDR but not accessible via the built in Roku app

Any HDR content in the built in app defaults to Dolby Vision.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem: In Game Mode, the audio lags behind the picture.

It's really obvious with lip syncing in PS4 games with a lot of talking like Until Dawn and Uncharted. With Game Mode off, everything lines up fine. But with it on, it's distracting when there's a talking face on screen because their voice doesn't quite line up.

I've tested both with my sound bar (a Sony HT-XT1) and the TV speakers; same behavior. If I'm in the PS4 main menu and I turn Game Mode off and on, there's a flash of black as the visual changes but there's no break in the audio at all, which you'd expect as the audio re-syncs up to the changed picture.

So in other words, it appears Game Mode is broken (at least in my case) because it only reduces visual input lag but keeps audio lags the same.

It's not a huge deal since outside of Game Mode the input lag is still passable, but that tiny input lag when it's on is so nice.

Hmmm I played through Uncharted when I first got this TV and didn't notice it. Maybe the last firmware broke game mode? I haven't played any games with cutscenes since the last update so I haven't noticed. I'll test when I get a chance later today and see if it's like that for me too.

Stiler

What is fald?

FALD = Full Array Local Dimming.

Basically it means that the tv has "zones" of leds on the back that turn on/off depending on what the picture is showing. This means that if you have say, a black sky or such that zone will turn the leds off so that the blacks are black and not gray or lit up from the lighting of other objects.

With many edge lit lcd tv's they can't do this so they usually end up having "flashlighting" where the light comes from the edge of the screen and you see bright corners or get blooming around objects that are bright against dark backgrounds.

That's why generally speaking, OLED's are at the top (can turn off each individual pixel so blacks are pure black) are considered the best tv's, then you have FALD tv's as second best (can't turn off each pixel but rather mapped to zones, usually higher # of zones = better), and then edge lit tv's round up the bottom, with blooming/flashlighting issues.

This isn't always 100% though, a few edge lit tv's are decent at dimming, like the 900e.

That's why this tv is hitting so much above it's belt for the price and is the best budget tv right now. It's fald keeps blacks dark, it supports Dolby Vision (which you generally won't find on any other tv unless it's $1,000+) and supports 4k/hdr on all hdmi ports along with really low input lag for gaming.

Klocker

So in other words, it appears Game Mode is broken (at least in my case) because it only reduces visual input lag but keeps audio lag the same.

Ahh I will have to test that. I was just wondering last night if there was a way to fix the audio lag. Didn't think it might be related to game mode

I have console running to receiver with optical direct to avoid the lag but I miss the DD+ I get through HDMI, where the lag is.

I keep getting tempted to get this TV but then I ask myself if I’ll have to play the display lottery with backlight issues etc. I don’t got time for that.

How’s everyone enjoying their set? And is the RTINGS picture settings the ones everyone using?

feature wise it is the best bang for the buck but , yeah, the bleeding is unfortunate and something i suspect is just common with a lot of these sets.

personally, i bought the 2 year geek squad warranty on it. TCL support can have someone sent to my home to service the tv which is a part of their 1 year warranty. I will be calling them up on monday. The bleeding isn't too distracting but if i can get improvement, i'll have TCL come out to fix it and if its a problem later on, i'll just replace it within 2 yrs.

MAX PAYMENT

feature wise it is the best bang for the buck but , yeah, the bleeding is unfortunate and something i suspect is just common with a lot of these sets.

personally, i bought the 2 year geek squad warranty on it. TCL support can have someone sent to my home to service the tv which is a part of their 1 year warranty. I will be calling them up on monday. The bleeding isn't too distracting but if i can get improvement, i'll have TCL come out to fix it and if its a problem later on, i'll just replace it within 2 yrs.

If there's nothing wrong with it can you get best buy to replace it on 2 years?

Klocker

ok I have tested...
It's about half a second behind with or without game mode on or off for me.

I was able to hear the delay clearly in real time when I hooked up headphones to Xbox controller for direct sound from console while having the speakers on through TV out to HDMI ARC.

Was clearly behind but turning game mode off did not reduce the delay to a noticeable amount for me. If it was faster it was not perceptible to my ear.

But changing to optical out on speakers from Xbox and it was almost in sync but the headphones direct Bluetooth was a millisecond ahead. Barely noticeable but there, so maybe it's my receiver adding delay?

Dealer A

Neo Member
I'm most likely going to buy this tv in a couple weeks.

What is it's biggest flaw?

The one negative that I am having trouble getting over is the color uniformity problem. I play a fair amount of retro games and whenever I have a screen with a solid lighter color there is noticeable visible splotches all over the screen. I was playing Mega Man 9 yesterday and it was really distracting. I'm not sure if all displays are like this though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
FALD = Full Array Local Dimming.

Basically it means that the tv has "zones" of leds on the back that turn on/off depending on what the picture is showing. This means that if you have say, a black sky or such that zone will turn the leds off so that the blacks are black and not gray or lit up from the lighting of other objects.

With many edge lit lcd tv's they can't do this so they usually end up having "flashlighting" where the light comes from the edge of the screen and you see bright corners or get blooming around objects that are bright against dark backgrounds.

That's why generally speaking, OLED's are at the top (can turn off each individual pixel so blacks are pure black) are considered the best tv's, then you have FALD tv's as second best (can't turn off each pixel but rather mapped to zones, usually higher # of zones = better), and then edge lit tv's round up the bottom, with blooming/flashlighting issues.

This isn't always 100% though, a few edge lit tv's are decent at dimming, like the 900e.

That's why this tv is hitting so much above it's belt for the price and is the best budget tv right now. It's fald keeps blacks dark, it supports Dolby Vision (which you generally won't find on any other tv unless it's $1,000+) and supports 4k/hdr on all hdmi ports along with really low input lag for gaming.

The 900E isn't edge lit. The 930E is and it is fabulous.

KageMaru

I honestly don't notice any audio lag at all. I've tried Horizon and BF1 campaign and don't see any delay with the audio. My screen also doesn't flash of black either.

Pigs

How do I install the update that give FALD with game mode on? I tried downloading the update from tvupdate.roku.com but I can't seem to get the tv to update from a USB stick. TCLs website say choose "can't connect to internet" option from the check for update menu, but I don't have that option. I tried doing it with my router turned off, but even then I don't get that option.

Spasm

How do I install the update that give FALD with game mode on? I tried downloading the update from tvupdate.roku.com but I can't seem to get the tv to update from a USB stick. TCLs website say choose "can't connect to internet" option from the check for update menu, but I don't have that option. I tried doing it with my router turned off, but even then I don't get that option.
That option is only available after a factory reset. :(

Sugarmonkey

Hi guys, hoping you can offer some help or suggestions here. SO I was playing BF1 on my PS4 Pro the other day, and halfway through the match, I saw the Dolby Vision icon come up in the right hand corner of the screen. I was surprised, and thought maybe it was a stealth patch, but couldn't find anything online obviously. I did notice that while the colors changed a bit, the IQ looked like shit,as if there was over-sharpening applied.

Fast forward to last night. I'm messing around on the dashboard, and as I'm going down the left hand side (menu items after holding down the PS button), each time i click down to the power option, the screen switches to "Dolby Vision", and the TV is all messed up. Like a purple screen, and it's flickering. I move the joystick up, and it goes back to normal. I reset my console and it hasn't happened since. My question is: has this happened to anyone else? Do you guys think it's an issue with my PS4 Pro or my TV? I'm not sure where to start, but I don't want to write it off to only have it get worse after they are both out of warranty.

Klocker

Ok did some more testing on this sound lag.

Apparently my receiver was adding a bit of lag on AV sync. so at 0 it was a little better.

But what I found that eliminated the lag immediately to be on par with sound direct from Xbox optical> receiver was changing from bitstream out on Xbox to stereo sound. Immediately got the same sound speed from xbox>HDMI >Arc TV as I got from Xbox> optical Receiver

No of course I don't want stereo for my games so I reverted to bitstream but now I wonder if the TV is adding delay in processing the bitstream signal and outputting or if it is the Xbox bitstream over HDMI?

Ashby

Sorry, so what firmware is the one that has local dimming in Game Mode? Seems like there's been some confusion and issues there.

thatJohann

Sorry, so what firmware is the one that has local dimming in Game Mode? Seems like there's been some confusion and issues there.

Shouldn't you always have the latest firmware? or does the latest firmware remove local dimming from game mode? Now I'm scared of buying this TV

RedAssedApe

Banned
tcl released firmware which allowed some of us to get it via auto update. then pulled it. the firmware(s) that allow fald over game mode aren't available via the auto-updater at the moment.

they likely pulled them for a reason. someone at avs explicitly stated tcl support telling them as much. if you absolutely must download it you can go to the tcl website and follow their instructions for creating a usb install and doing a factory reset to install new firmware.

i'd personally not recommend it if it got pulled. firmware often times can make things worse. look at the lg oled thread :p

Sugarmonkey

tcl released firmware which allowed some of us to get it via auto update. then pulled it. the firmware(s) that allow fald over game mode aren't available via the auto-updater at the moment.

they likely pulled them for a reason. someone at avs explicitly stated tcl support telling them as much. if you absolutely must download it you can go to the tcl website and follow their instructions for creating a usb install and doing a factory reset to install new firmware.

i'd personally not recommend it if it got pulled. firmware often times can make things worse. look at the lg oled thread :p

Hmm I'm wondering if that's why I'm getting the problems I have (a few posts up). I did see that my TV got updated to the newest version on it's own.

thatJohann

Ah thanks, good to know, i'm still holding off for a big sale on this TV before pulling the trigger.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hmm I'm wondering if that's why I'm getting the problems I have (a few posts up). I did see that my TV got updated to the newest version on it's own.

hmm...haven't seen anything like that where dv is being switched on for games. iirc unless its part of some firmware update, consoles don't support dv and only hdr10.

what firmware are you on? i know there was an issue in one of the earlier firmwares where if you switched from sdr to hdr mode it seemed to reset sharpening to some higher value. rtings confirmed this.

someone said that this was fixed in the most recent firmware. but the firmware apparently has been pulled from being available via auto-update.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you're ordering the 607 from Amazon you can enter this code to get $50 off:

TCLONKTLA

Makes it the same price as the 605 from BB but you get a better remote. Supposedly good until 9/4/17.

If anyone's interested, rtings put up a review of the c-series.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/c-series-2017-c807

as expected the p series is better in every way except for sound and aesthetics. the c series tv really shouldn't exist...i'm expecting they merge the two next year and just increase the price.

Looking at the pictures of the c series, idk, I don't see anything special about it. I would appreciate the built in soundbar because it would elevate the tv more so I could sit my better soundbar in front of it lol.

MetalDeer

Does anyone else notice when they turn the TV on, the local dimming isn't actually on, even if it shows that it is?

Like, every time I turn on my TV to play PS4 or something, I can tell the FALD isn't on because black screens look too bright, so I go into the settings to turn it off and on, and it works again. I updated to the latest firmware and it still does it. Kind of annoying having to do that every time I turn on the TV.

KageMaru

Does anyone else notice when they turn the TV on, the local dimming isn't actually on, even if it shows that it is?

Like, every time I turn on my TV to play PS4 or something, I can tell the FALD isn't on because black screens look too bright, so I go into the settings to turn it off and on, and it works again. I updated to the latest firmware and it still does it. Kind of annoying having to do that every time I turn on the TV.

Thankfully I haven't had this issue yet. Are you on the latest firmware?

I'm on the latest firmware, the one that got pulled, and I haven't had this issue. A black screen is still so black that it looks like the tv might be turned off. I went and tested with a totally black video loop on YouTube to be sure and FALD is definitely on.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I didn't really notice it before, but I noticed while watching Fate of the Furious some weird ghosting and in Uncharted Lost Legacy that I never noticed before the newest firmware.

It may just be me and I am noticing it more in those instances.

True 120Hz is really the only thing this TV is missing. It really comes in handy in scenes with fast motion and/or panning.

I would have easily paid an extra $100 for that feature.

Not a dealbreaker, but it was a feature my previous TV had and it's absence is noticeable.

If you're ordering the 607 from Amazon you can enter this code to get $50 off:

TCLONKTLA

Makes it the same price as the 605 from BB but you get a better remote. Supposedly good until 9/4/17.

Thank you! Was able to get credit for my order on 8/24. That's an extra game or two :)

MetalDeer

Thankfully I haven't had this issue yet. Are you on the latest firmware?

I'm on the latest firmware, the one that got pulled, and I haven't had this issue. A black screen is still so black that it looks like the tv might be turned off. I went and tested with a totally black video loop on YouTube to be sure and FALD is definitely on.

So I'm an idiot and didn't actually turn it off and on to see if it worked with the latest firmware, and it does indeed work. Well, that's my only annoyance with this TV gone, at least!

usp84

And of course this TV brand is nowhere to be found in my country.

Any alternatives at this price range?

I checked the Samsumg MU6300 what do you think?

JG5253

I didn't really notice it before, but I noticed while watching Fate of the Furious some weird ghosting and in Uncharted Lost Legacy that I never noticed before the newest firmware.

It may just be me and I am noticing it more in those instances.

True 120Hz is really the only thing this TV is missing. It really comes in handy in scenes with fast motion and/or panning.

I would have easily paid an extra $100 for that feature.

Not a dealbreaker, but it was a feature my previous TV had and it's absence is noticeable.
It was there before. I turned off noise reduction and changed sharpness to 0 which seemed to help to me

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was there before. I turned off noise reduction and changed sharpness to 0 which seemed to help to me

Holy hell.

My sharpness was set much higher than before and noise reduction was set to medium.

Fixed those back to where they were before and it's much better.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Count me amongst those who agree that Dolby Vision content works better when set to Bright.

Iron Fist on Netflix just doesn't work as well in Dark.

KageMaru

You really shouldn't have any sharpness on. I wish companies would stop including it as an option.

I agree that HDR bright does look better on Netflix. I think their Dolby Vision implementation is screwed up since Dolby Vision looks amazing on Vudu.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You really shouldn't have any sharpness on. I wish companies would stop including it as an option.

I agree that HDR bright does look better on Netflix. I think their Dolby Vision implementation is screwed up since Dolby Vision looks amazing on Vudu.

Normally I don't but for some reason the setting changed.

JG5253

These are exactly my thoughts as well. Vudus dolby vision does look amazing but netflix is a bit too dim

Top Bottom