• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Ashby

Doesn't Netflix put on HDR for all their content whether it is HDR content or not? That sounds like it would be bad.

thatJohann

If I wanted to have the best looking 4K HDR Netflix experience with this TV, should I use:
a) built in Roku app?
b) PS4 Pro
c) something else?

Thanks!

RedAssedApe

Banned
If I wanted to have the best looking 4K HDR Netflix experience with this TV, should I use:
a) built in Roku app?
b) PS4 Pro
c) something else?

Thanks!

Don't use the PS4 pro. It is borked. It engages hdr mode for everything even when the content doesn't support hdr. It also has that stupid auto preview clip when you're browsing the library.

OK, so my TV now has like a ghosting shadow effect - there is a shadow of everything to the right, on all inputs. I just tried factory resetting the image settings, no luck... how screwed am I?

Edit: Completely factory resetting it seems to have fixed it for now. This... is inconvenient.

Klocker

What's a good 65" replacement? The 2017 65" Vizio M?

Yep it doesn't have as low an input lag as this but it is still pretty low compared to what else is out there and The Price is Right for 65.

it would have been the one I got if I didn't get this one and wanted 65.

how does this compare to the TCL S405?

Well worth the extra $200. The S405 is an okay set if you're just looking for 4K (especially at that price), but doesn't do proper HDR or have the wide color gamut. The P605 also handles motion a bit better, which makes it better for sports and gaming.

Ashby

Should I calibrate this or is that just for crazy people and I can just plug the thing in and start using it normally? I don't even know what "calibrate" means really.

funcojoe

Should I calibrate this or is that just for crazy people and I can just plug the thing in and start using it normally? I don't even know what "calibrate" means really.

Just use rtings calibration, it's very simple.

Then in hdr modes bump the color up a few notches from their reccomendation and make sure you have the hdr mode set to dark, and Dolby vision to bright.

Wag

Yep it doesn't have as low an input lag as this but it is still pretty low compared to what else is out there and The Price is Right for 65.

it would have been the one I got if I didn't get this one and wanted 65.

It's too bad the 65" isn't coming out. The only other 65" TV that's in its the $1k range is the Hisense 65H9D, and while a true 120Hz panel, it's not FALD.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's too bad the 65" isn't coming out. The only other 65" TV that's in its the $1k range is the Hisense 65H9D, and while a true 120Hz panel, it's not FALD.

vizio m series is in that price range for 65inch and seems close to this tv in specs

KageMaru

Just use rtings calibration, it's very simple.

Then in hdr modes bump the color up a few notches from their reccomendation and make sure you have the hdr mode set to dark, and Dolby vision to bright.

I'll have to try out bumping up the color a bit to see how that looks.

Regarding Dolby Vision, I'd suggest HDR bright for Netflix but HDR Dark for anything else using that format. HDR Dark looks fantastic on Vudu.

Klocker

For Netflix Dolby Vision I ended up using Normal and changing the color space to warm, looks like Bright but with better highlights in some darker scenes.

Apparently the major differences between those modes is color space all else being equal.

Also using 2.0 gamma

A little irritated

Ordered this but Amazon itself hasnt restocked but they are saying in stock from third party sellers at the same price

Damnit Amazon just send me one of those

RedAssedApe

Banned
You are correct. I thought it was the P. I wonder why they went C on this one. At 12 ft away, will I notice any difference between the P and the C ?

C is edge lit and doesn't have local dimming so I'd say you'd notice that from any distance. Also it doesn't seem to get as bright in general so that'll affect HDR.

I'd personally recommend the Vizio M series if you want the TCL P series but need to go bigger than 55. Seems to be the closest in performance/price to the P series. Rtings has short summaries at the end of their reviews where they compare the TV being reviewed with other TVs they consider comparable not to mention the aggregate ratings you can compare for several categories.

Justinh

Glad this thread popped up today. I impulse bought an S405 on Amazon this morning, but was able to cancel after reading some replies in this thread.

I'd have to wait for after Christmas season, but I'd be kinda peeved if I bought a tv and wanted to replace it for something better so quickly after I got it. Sounds like it's worth it to pay the little extra for the additional HDR modes (or whatever it is that makes this one the better buy. I need to read more into this HDR standard stuff...)

Ashby

Question about HDR: It's not "Always On" right? Like say I rent Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tonight through Google Play and it is SDR, the tv won't attempt to put a HDR sheen to it and make it look all weird?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Question about HDR: It's not "Always On" right? Like say I rent Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tonight through Google Play and it is SDR, the tv won't attempt to put a HDR sheen to it and make it look all weird?

yes. the tv shows pop-up notifications if the content is using HDR or Dolby Vision.

deadlast

C is edge lit and doesn't have local dimming so I'd say you'd notice that from any distance. Also it doesn't seem to get as bright in general so that'll affect HDR.

I'd personally recommend the Vizio M series if you want the TCL P series but need to go bigger than 55. Seems to be the closest in performance/price to the P series. Rtings has short summaries at the end of their reviews where they compare the TV being reviewed with other TVs they consider comparable not to mention the aggregate ratings you can compare for several categories.

Thanks. Planning our home theater out and am trying to look at all possible options.

Ashby

I followed Rtings guide but didn't touch the color space or white balance.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607/settings

Basically:

Picture mode: movie
TV brightness: normal for SD, brightest for HDR
Picture size: auto
Local contrast: high
Backlight: 20 for SDR, 100 for HDR
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45
Tint: 0
Color temperature: warm

Under 'Expert picture settings' in the smartphone Roku app I have noise reduction turned off and gamma around 2.2.

Really happy with how everything looks at these settings. Almost everything will switch automatically, so you will have to calibrate for separate settings when watching in SDR and HDR. The only setting I change manually when viewing SDR or HDR content is TV brightness between normal (SDR content) and brightest (HDR content).

Hope that helps.
So I followed Kage's setting guide here and it looks like there's a piss filter watching cable tv. Normal looks a lot better to my untrained eyes. Am I missing something?

Ashby

Alright so Kage's setting are indeed the ones to follow as far as getting as close to "picture perfect" and I should just take the time to adjust? I'm okay with doing that so long as I know I'm getting the best picture possible out of this set.

EDIT: And now my PS4 is saying my TV doesn't support HDR when I try to turn on HDR in the PS4 settings

RedAssedApe

Banned
Alright so Kage's setting are indeed the ones to follow as far as getting as close to "picture perfect" and I should just take the time to adjust? I'm okay with doing that so long as I know I'm getting the best picture possible out of this set.

EDIT: And now my PS4 is saying my TV doesn't support HDR when I try to turn on HDR in the PS4 settings

make sure tv is set to hdmi 2.0 in the tv settings. i have every video related setting on my ps4 pro set to auto

if still not working. might be a cable issue.

Ashby

make sure tv is set to hdmi 2.0 in the tv settings. i have every video related setting on my ps4 pro set to auto

if still not working. might be a cable issue.

That fixed the HDR issue on PS4, thank you. So what's the rationale behind setting Color Temp. to "Warm" instead of "Normal"?

Klocker

That fixed the HDR issue on PS4, thank you. So what's the rationale behind setting Color Temp. to "Warm" instead of "Normal"?

Warm is more accurate to real life lighting and colors. At least as close as we can get with screens right now.

Short answer: once you get used t it there is no going back, normal will look horrible to you, too cold, blue. But the warm color adds brightness to picture, believe it or not.

Took me about a week of stopping myself from goin back and forth trying to not see the piss. That was about 5 years ago and will never go back

Ashby

Warm is more accurate to real life lighting and colors. At least as close as we can get with screens right now.

Short answer: once you get used t it there is no going back, normal will look horrible to you, too cold, blue. But the warm color adds brightness to picture, believe it or not.

Took me about a week of stopping myself from goin back and forth trying to not see the piss. That was about 5 years ago and will never go back

Yeah, just watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I'm already way into it. This thread has been super helpful! Should I keep the same settings for video games?

Klocker

Yeah, just watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and I'm already way into it. This thread has been super helpful! Should I keep the same settings for video games?

Absolutely. In time you will start to see the games looking richer in warm. As they were meant to be seen

I was saving my $440 in Best Buy gift cards from the trade in shenanigans few months ago for XOX, but I think I'll get the S605 with it. Just got a contract work extension for work until at least end of the year so I can spurge a bit.

EDIT: But of course... Sold out at all Best Buy within 250 miles...

Norse

To those asking about the 65" Vizio M series. Imo it's pretty much the only TV in the category of the tcl p605/607 at 65 inches. Cost performance ratio is right there. It's the TV rtings would suggest at 55" if the tcl p series didn't exist.

Oh, Best buy currently has $100 off the 50" Hisense h8c 4k HDR TV. For a gaming tv, $399 is dirt cheap. Some gaf members seem to like it's performance.

I was saving my $440 in Best Buy gift cards from the trade in shenanigans few months ago for XOX, but I think I'll get the S605 with it. Just got a contract work extension for work until at least end of the year so I can spurge a bit.

Yeah I ordered mine last week on Amazon and I'm still waiting on a restock

I really hope they can get it to me within the next couple weeks

Is delivery an option? That's what I did when the tv launched and Best Buy delivery was really solid. If there's an issue with the tv they will come and pick it up and also deliver a replacement.

Just got this TV a few days ago after looking at much more expensive sets. The input lag ultimately won me over. Even without game mode on, it has such a low input lag, and the picture quality is blowing me away. I can't believe I only spent $600 on this tv.

If you have a ps4 pro or are planning to get an xbox one x, and you don't have a 4k tv, this is a solid buy if you're not looking to spend a ton. 4K HDR is the real deal.

Karish

Just got this TV a few days ago after looking at much more expensive sets. The input lag ultimately won me over. Even without game mode on, it has such a low input lag, and the picture quality is blowing me away. I can't believe I only spent $600 on this tv.

If you have a ps4 pro or are planning to get an xbox one x, and you don't have a 4k tv, this is a solid buy if you're not looking to spend a ton. 4K HDR is the real deal.
Do you find picture is noticeably better without game mode?

KageMaru

Couldn't agree more with this. It a couple days to get used to warm but I'm a fan of it now.

Yup, Guardians of the galaxy 2 on Vudu looked amazing after calibrating. Are you using Movie for the picture mode? When using normal (I think that's what it's called) picture mode, warm looked too yellow, but movie mode really balanced it out for me.

Glad you're enjoying the TV, it's amazing for the price. If you have a PS4 Pro, you have to check out Horizon Zero Dawn.

Do you find picture is noticeably better without game mode?

The only major difference I noticed was when FALD used to be disabled in game mode. With that fixed now I really don't see any difference, though admittedly I haven't done much testing here. Even if I noticed scenarios where game mode looked worse, I'd still have it on. Better controller response > better picture quality any day of the week for me.

Ashby

Couldn't agree more with this. It a couple days to get used to warm but I'm a fan of it now.

Yup, Guardians of the galaxy 2 on Vudu looked amazing after calibrating. Are you using Movie for the picture mode? When using normal (I think that's what it's called) picture mode, warm looked too yellow, but movie mode really balanced it out for me.

Glad you're enjoying the TV, it's amazing for the price. If you have a PS4 Pro, you have to check out Horizon Zero Dawn.

The only major difference I noticed was when FALD used to be disabled in game mode. With that fixed now I really don't see any difference, though admittedly I haven't done much testing here. Even if I noticed scenarios where game mode looked worse, I'd still have it on. Better controller response > better picture quality any day of the week for me.

Yup, I followed your settings to the letter, including being on Movie mode.

//ARCANUM

Did TCL/Roku ever re-release the firmware that got pulled? I downloaded it before it got pulled and I have noticed that the FALD algorithim has definitely improved. I just watched all of 10 Cloverfield Lane on Amazon prime and it only "flickered" once (and I think that was actually because the stream resolution might have dropped for a moment). Whereas before it would probably flicker once every 15 mins or so. (By flicker I mean FALD late adjusting to the shot.)

Spasm

Did TCL/Roku ever re-release the firmware that got pulled? I downloaded it before it got pulled and I have noticed that the FALD algorithim has definitely improved. I just watched all of 10 Cloverfield Lane on Amazon prime and it only "flickered" once (and I think that was actually because the stream resolution might have dropped for a moment). Whereas before it would probably flicker once every 15 mins or so. (By flicker I mean FALD late adjusting to the shot.)

Nope. They've pulled the last 2 firmwares from live updating, in fact. 7.7.0 build 4111-50 and now 7.7.0 build 4135-30 were only available on tvupdate.roku.com after a very brief period of availability on live update.

Anyhow, I bit the bullet yesterday, and did the manual update. I can confirm it is indeed 7.7.0 build 4135-30 on tvupdate.roku.com. If anyone wants to go through the hassle...

DL the update (model 7103X) to a fat32 USB drive
Perform a factory reset on the TV
Pull the network cable (if applicable)
Go through the initial setup again, leave the network cable unplugged and don't set up a wireless connection
When checking for updates, choose - I can't connect to the internet
Update from the USB stick
Set up everything again from god-damned scratch

Ashby

Yeah. Sorry guys but I just can't abide Movie mode. I'm with you on warm color temp. but Normal is so much better. Mario + Rabbids looks so friggin' dull on Movie mode. For now I'm pretty satisfied with this setting from CNET:

Bright room settings:

TV Brightness: Brighter
Picture mode: Normal
Picture size: Direct

Advanced picture settings:

Picture mode: Normal
Local contrast: Off
Backlight: 60
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 45