• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 - Scream Fortress 7 Halloween Update announced

Bluth54

Valve has announced the seventh annual Scream Fortress Halloween event for Team Fortress 2 today.

bg_01.jpg

The event features a new comic, 19 new Halloween cosmetic items, 4 community made Halloween maps, new taunts, Mann Power mode moving out of beta with a new map called Hellfire and new powerups, new Halloween themed taunts, and new contracts for fighting previous Halloween bosses to earn cases.

Edit:
The actual patch notes for the update:

Scream Fortress VII has arrived!
Comic and additional information available on the website (http://www.teamfortress.com/screamfortress7)
Featuring 4 community maps: Gorge Event, Sinshine, Moonshine Event, and Hellstone
Added the Gargoyle Case which contains 19 community made cosmetics
Added two new community-made taunts to the Mann Co Store: Soldier's Requiem and Zoomin' Broom
Collect the souls of dead players for your Gargoyle by killing enemies, doing map objectives, or collecting the Soul Gargoyles that spawn in the maps
Scream Fortress VII runs through November 11th, 2015

During Scream Fortress VII
All players who launch the game will receive a Gargoyle
Gives access to Merasmissions and Halloween item transmutations
Tracks Merasmissions completed and souls collected
Added Merasmissions
A new Merasmission will be available daily up to a total of 13
Completing a Merasmission will give players a classic Halloween item and a chance of the Gargoyle Case
Added Halloween Transmuting
Transmuting can be accessed by clicking the Gargoyle in your backpack and selecting Halloween Transmute from the context menu
Players can transmute 3 qualifying items to receive a non-tradable classic Halloween item. A bonus item will be given for every 10th transmute.
Mann Co Supply Crates will have a chance for a classic Halloween Unusual effect

General
Added inspect animations for the Batsaber and the Giger Counter
Fixed an idle animation bug for the Wrangler
Lowered the speed penalty for getting stunned by a ghost from 50% to 25%
Lowered damage of the "bats" spell from 60 to 40
HHH's axe has dulled a bit and no longer guarantees death, but is still very lethal
Fixed an exploit related to picking up The Widowmaker
Fixed the Batsaber not showing the Killstreak sheen
Fixed a scoreboard stat reset bug in Mann vs. Machine
Optimized texture memory usage
Fix some cases of random hitching experienced by some players
Fixed overhead icons stacking on top of each other and now appear side-by-side
Added "Sort by Date" to the backpack. Newest acquired or altered items are sorted to the front.
Cosmetics that have Rarity and are part of a collection no longer show a cosmetic item level
Fixed the buildcubemaps command failing to update cubemaps for maps that already have cubemaps
Fixed a case where running the game with -buildcubemaps would generate all black cubemaps
Updated cp_powerhouse to fix a couple places where players could stand on top of doorways
Updated The Infernal Impaler, L'homme Burglerre, The Spooky Shoes, The Spooky Sleeves, Cuban Bristle Crisis, The Grimm Hatt, Medi-Mask, The Bearded Bombardier, The Colonel's Coat, The Killer's Kit, The Vascular Vestment, The Physician's Protector, The Cold Killer, The Courtier's Collar, The Physician's Procedure Mask, The War Pig, Respectless Robo-Glove, Insulated Inventor, The Dry Gulch Gulp and The Minsk Beef with the latest changes from the authors
Updated koth_probed
Improved optimization of map (especially on mid)
Fixed clipping issues (thanks Muselk!)
Fixed Engineer imbalance on mid (thanks Uncle Dane!)
Added in missing explosion sound effect on aliens
Fixed a few prop/ material issues
Reduced prop usage

PASS Time update

Fixed viewmodel/worldmodel when tf_passtime_ball_model is set
Added convar: tf_passtime_ball_sphere_collision
Added entity: tf_logic_on_holiday

Mannpower update
No longer in Beta
Added new map: Hellfire
Three new powerups: King, Plague, Supernova
Grappling hook changes
Reduced max rope distance
Reduced grapple dismount jump height
30% hook movement speed penalty for Heavyweapons
Flag rule changes
Flags can no longer be returned by touching them
When dropped, flags return after a timeout. This timeout does NOT reset if the flag is picked up again before it returns or is captured
25% hook movement speed penalty for powered up flag carriers (with the exception of Agility)
Small health regeneration for non-powered up flag carriers
Flags and capture zones are disabled for 30 seconds after a capture
Powerup rule changes
When killed, your powerup will drop as the enemy team color. Deliberately dropped powerups are neutral colored
You cannot pick up enemy colored powerups
Team colored powerups will attempt to respawn in that team's base if not picked up in time
Other changes
Overhead powerup icons are now team colored
Warlock powerup renamed to Reflect
Reduced Knockout max health bonus for demos carrying swords and shields
Haste now increases huntsman firing speed
Bug fixes
Reflect damage no longer occurs after death (Pyro afterburn)

Bluth54

Yea pretty much. I just find it weird that this is overlapping with the Invasion event.

The Invasion update was supposed to launch earlier then it did, it got delayed twice, once because Valve was having issues getting Watergate to work correctly and a second time because some people that were working on Invasion were unhappy with the revenue split from the Invasion passes.

KarmaCow

The Invasion update was supposed to launch earlier then it did, it got delayed twice, once because Valve was having issues getting Watergate to work correctly and a second time because some people that were working on Invasion were unhappy with the revenue split from the Invasion passes.

Ah okay that makes more sense.

Bluth54

Weren't they supposed to be adding competitive matchmaking to this game? Did anything happen with that?

They haven't actually added that yet, though the TF2 did mention they were working on it still in a recent blog post.

They have also been adding code to the game for comp matchmaking occasionally and there is actually a matchmaking lobby that's in the game, but can't be accessed via the default hud and if you do have a custom hud that allows you to access the menu it doesn't do anything yet.

Edit: Some more matchmaking code was added in this update, this is what the matchmaking screen looks like right now:

Miker

Imagine taking some lines out of those patch notes and showing them to TF2 players in, say, 2008. The reactions would be hilarious.

KarmaCow

Anyone actually manage to get the Gargoyle item that enables contracts? I can connect to the item server every so often (some crates dropped) but still haven't got the item itself.

Bluth54

Anyone actually manage to get the Gargoyle item that enables contracts? I can connect to the item server every so often (some crates dropped) but still haven't got the item itself.

I was able to get one. The item server is having problems, it always happens after a big TF2 update since more people are playing the game then normally do.

KarmaCow

I was able to get one. The item server is having problems, it always happens after a big TF2 update since more people are playing the game then normally do.

Yea I figured the item servers would be borked but I wasn't sure if anyone was able to get it.

woodland

I dunno Valve's plans for Dota 2 - I would love for us to get Halloween updates again. So far they haven't communicated any plans of theres (TF2's were announced weeks ago) and there's definitely no community event.

Enjoy it! Might get back on myself, I missed last year mostly but I love Halloween events the most.

Bluth54

Yea I figured the item servers would be borked but I wasn't sure if anyone was able to get it.

Yeah even though I got my Gargoyle it wasn't working right for me, it wasn't counting kills and I don't think it was actually spawning gifts for me even though it said it was.

It's pretty broken. First it was the item server, then the contracts won't work on Valve servers. Hopefully, a fix arrives tomorrow but otherwise it's nice.

Bluth54

It's pretty broken. First it was the item server, then the contracts won't work on Valve servers. Hopefully, a fix arrives tomorrow but otherwise it's nice.

Apparently the contracts don't work on Valve's Virginia servers but they do work on other Valve servers.

deleted

I love these updates. The comic is amazing again.

Maybe I'll break the game out again and try it out with the Steam Controller..

Was thinking about reinstalling. Last one I played had a giant eye ball floating around the map and a nether world. It's such a huge install now and people seem kinda down on it. Not sure I will bother.

Top Bottom