• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 game has broken its concurrent player count record: 253k+

Spyxos

Gold Member

5bDQQaN.png

I used to spend countless hours on this game, nice to see that so many people are still playing it. I think there were almost no updates for it for a long time.

Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Summer 2023!

• Featuring 14 new community maps: Sharkbay, Rotunda, Phoenix, Cashworks, Venice, Reckoner, Sulfur, Hardwood, Pelican Peak, Selbyen, VSH Tiny Rock, VSH Distillery, VSH Skirmish, and VSH Nucleus
  • Added the Summer 2023 Cosmetic Case
    • Contains 25 new community-contributed items
  • Added 6 new community-contributed taunts to the Mann Co. Store
    • Taunt: Killer Joke
    • Taunt: Star-Spangled Strategy
    • Taunt: The Head Doctor
    • Taunt: Tuefort Tango
    • Taunt: The Road Rager
    • Taunt: The Killer Signature
  • Added 20 new community-created Unusual effects
    • 12 new effects for Unusual hats
    • 8 new effects for Unusual taunts
  • Added the Summer 2023 War Paint Case
    • Contains 10 new community-created War Paints that make-up the Summer 2023 Collection
    • Has a chance to give a taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item
  • All cosmetic and taunt cases will grant Summer 2023 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the Summer event. This does not include crates.
  • The Summer event runs through September 15th, 2023
team fortress 2 pyro GIF

Last edited:

dorkimoe

is this the only game that 100k+ people are still playing 15 years after release?

even GTA V is only 10 years old.
I mean counter strike. I know people think csgo is different but it’s the same game.
source i played cs 1.0 all the way to csgo

phant0m

I mean counter strike. I know people think csgo is different but it’s the same game.
i consider 1.6, CSS and CSGO to all be different games.

yes the core gameplay is the same but there are different engines, new maps, complete visual overhaul and mechanical differences in the shooting.

AFAIK TF2 is still the exact same shit as 2007 but with the class balance changes that happened over time, cosmetics and community maps.

MiguelItUp

I love TF2 so much, when it was brand new it was all I played for several years. I guess it's time to start playing regularly again, especially with this update.

I'd love to see TF2 get some kind of visual treatment. Because I doubt we'll ever get an actual successor. But man I would love that.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Uses to play on a 4chan server back in the day. Used to be fucking AMAZING. Maybe I should return... To the game, not the server it's long gone.

Sojiro

Such a damn good game. Last time I checked, I had over 1600 hours in it, and no that isn't an inflated number with hundreds of hours afk in a hat server. Crazy to see it still pulling so many players considering how old it is.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Such a damn good game. Last time I checked, I had over 1600 hours in it, and no that isn't an inflated number with hundreds of hours afk in a hat server. Crazy to see it still pulling so many players considering how old it is.
I probably have about as much play time. But I started tf2 when Steam didn't track the game time at all. I'm only seeing 340 hours of playtime.

KaiserBecks

I wish they would bring this back to consoles. Had an amazing time with the vanilla version on Xbox 360 back in 2007. Even though it had less player slots (and less....everything, compared to the current version), TF2 might be the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game.

Holammer

Pretty amazing considering the nature of the update, it's not a *real* update. No new missions or weapons, "only" lots of new maps and cosmetics.
Because Valve is a hippie community where people do whatever they please, only one brave soul or two actually work on the game at one time. A normal company would have built a small studio exclusively to maintain and update the game, especially as it usually draws around 120k players even in maintenance mode. Instead they sink time and money on failures like Artifact and Underlords.

Had I been Gaben I would earmark the game for a Source 2 overhaul once CS2 ships (which is soon). Unravel the source spaghetti with an engine change & add new high poly models. That's all it needs to keep on trucking for another 16 years.
Slap a cart racing mode in there while they're at it!

Last edited:
The power of good game play and community.
And Overwatch, Splitgate, and other hero shooters slowly dying. There's not really any game to challenge Team Fortress 2 right now at what it does, the same way there's no 4 player zombie game(other than a mode in CoD) that's able to challenge Left 4 Dead 1/2 at what it does.

It's quite something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mental, and good on it for getting there. Wild to think this game was released half my life ago. Very fond memories of the beta and play non-stop for the first month, getting all the achievements (10 sentry kills in one life being the toughest which seems pretty tame these days).

Nah that's dumb. Completely different mechanics. They are different games. GO to CS2 I will maybe give you. That's like saying each new cod is the same game.

Sojiro

I probably have about as much play time. But I started tf2 when Steam didn't track the game time at all. I'm only seeing 340 hours of playtime.
Ah nice. I actually didn't really get into the game until around 2009 ish I believe, so by then steam was definitely tracking hours played. I know it had been out for a bit before I came across it. At the time Quake Wars (the game I had been playing before hand) was really starting to bleed players and I was looking for another objective based FPS with different classes and came across TF2. Used to be part of a great community server (was called the Honk server) and even played a bit of competitive in low and mid tier of the Cevo 6v6 TF2 leagues. Loads of great memories with the game and the many people I met through the honk server, some of which I still keep in touch with today.

Top Bottom