• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Smissmass Update OR: Not the Pyro Update

The only big problem with the changes they made is the map vote at the end just seems to be 2 random maps that people playing the current match have selected (along with the current map) so you may be playing a payload match and get a CTF map and a Passtime map along with the current map. They really should change it so it's only maps for the same mode (or in the case of the alternate game modes options from the alternate list).

They still haven't added the ability to join a friend's casual game then automatically queue up with them after the match is over, you still need to queue up with them before playing.

CSGO also recently got a feature where you can queue up with people in the same steam group, it's a bit disappointing they didn't add that to TF2 in this update.

They're really trying to avoid rolling back all the changes they made in MYM.

People still play TF2 because it's a free to play game on Steam that isn't total garbage.

When I say it's dead, I don't mean nobody's playing it. I mean nobody's thinking about it anymore. Nobody takes it seriously anymore. Nobody really gives a shit about it these days, it's old news.

You can say it's still popular because it has like 60,000 players or whatever, but consider this: Counter-Strike Global Offensive ISN'T free-to-play, and it has 10 times as many players as TF2.

Bluth54

When I say it's dead, I don't mean nobody's playing it. I mean nobody's thinking about it anymore. Nobody takes it seriously anymore. Nobody really gives a shit about it these days, it's old news.

Except for the millions of people who play it every month.

Except for the millions of people who play it every month.

There are half a million people playing CSGO right now TODAY, and 800,000 people playing Dota. I don't find TF2's numbers impressive when a $15 game and an insanely difficult-to-learn game can pull in orders of magnitude more players every day than a F2P game can.

My friends list on Steam is enormous and it used to be dominated by people playing Team Fortress 2. Now it's all CSGO and Dota, with some GTA V, H1Z1 and random other games sprinkled in for good measure.

It has been on the decline for years now.

MaKTaiL

I don't get why they didn't release this game for consoles yet. It would be a clear win-win for both sides.

There are half a million people playing CSGO right now TODAY, and 800,000 people playing Dota. I don't find TF2's numbers impressive when a $15 game and an insanely difficult-to-learn game can pull in orders of magnitude more players every day than a F2P game can.

My friends list on Steam is enormous and it used to be dominated by people playing Team Fortress 2. Now it's all CSGO and Dota, with some GTA V, H1Z1 and random other games sprinkled in for good measure.

It has been on the decline for years now.

CS:GO and DotA2 are literally the only two games on Steam with higher playerbases than TF2, lmao. I guess every other multiplayer game is dead too.

Permanently A

Honestly its been nearly a decade of updates at this point. I don't think anyone, not Valve or the playerbase, are happy with the current running on fumes updates. It seems like they'll do their best to fix matchmaking, drop the pyro update and then say they're done with TF2.

Puruzi

Banned
Overwatch is a shitty replacement for TF2. There's nothing advanced in it at all. It's a shitty boring game, and TF2 is much better.

Bluth54

Honestly its been nearly a decade of updates at this point. I don't think anyone, not Valve or the playerbase, are happy with the current running on fumes updates. It seems like they'll do their best to fix matchmaking, drop the pyro update and then say they're done with TF2.

Valve has already confirmed they're working on a heavy update, along with a Jungle themed update. Not only that they are working towards growing competitive TF2.
Besides all that announced content you can't just drop support for a game that has an in game economy, especially when that in game economy links to your other games with in game economies.

TF2 makes WAYYYYYY too much money for them to drop it any time soon. Plus they have update plans for next year and want to grow TF2 competitive.

Bluth54

The game is 10 years old, people are going to get burned out on it. Even a few years from now the games your friends are playing aren't going to be the same, some will have moved on from CSGO and DOTA2. That's just something that's going to happen with a game as a service.

The game is 10 years old, people are going to get burned out on it. Even a few years from now the games your friends are playing aren't going to be the same, some will have moved on from CSGO and DOTA2. That's just something that's going to happen with a game as a service.

Counter-Strike has been basically the same since its inception in 1999 and it's still incredibly popular.

Valve has been treating TF2 like garbage for a while now and people realized this and left.

I will gift you a game of your choice on Steam if competitive TF2 ever takes off.

Serious question - there's an XP system now? I've been gone way too long.

I reinstalled TF2 the other weekend after years of not playing and it feels so different now, there's matchmaking and a ranking up system, you can still server browse thankfully.

Top Bottom