• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve teases Team Fortress 2 update

Holammer

In a dew fresh blog post on the Team Fortress site Valve teases "a full-on update-sized update — with items, maps, taunts, unusual effects, war paints and who knows what else".
The last proper content update was Jungle Inferno back in October 2017, so it's been awhile. TF2 is counterintuitively the game that lived. Despite getting very little attention from Valve, the playerbase is still growing and it is consistently one of the top 10 most played games on Steam.

PXttEYl.jpg

Yes, the text is cringe, but it's on-brand.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly the fact this game is one of valve's most played games consistantly on steam despite them not updating really shows how long good community server gaming can last a game.

Good to hear for the players, I quit long ago when they added loot boxes.

Last edited:

nikos

Are they asking the community to create and release content that they'll also release as part of an update?

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Wow, that's a game I haven't heard about in a long time. I think I have something over 1500 hours playtime. Too bad that all my items were stolen. New maps I have to try in any case.

Holammer

my god the sex update is real

(for anyone that missed the joke)

Are they asking the community to create and release content that they'll also release as part of an update?
Yes, that's standard for Valve's multiplayer games. They have Steam Workshop support where users can submit and vote on creations. CS:GO and DOTA2 updates are similarly 99% user generated assets. There are almost 35k items on the TF2 page.

tkscz

Most of the people I used to game with in TF2 quit long ago and now my son plays it. If this update fixes the bot issues I'll jump back in.

wipeout364

I wish they would release a proper sequel that strips back the game to its basics and brings it back towards the feel of the original quake mod. I personally kind of lost interest when they introduced all the variant weapons and payload became the de facto mode, the game is also too chaotic now.

Team fortress is one of my favorite games of all time so not dumping on it, it has just morphed into something I don’t really care for.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
TF2 always has people playing it that’s true I kinda think its strengths are easy to use controls basically.

Team Fortress 2 Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

nikos

(for anyone that missed the joke)

Yes, that's standard for Valve's multiplayer games. They have Steam Workshop support where users can submit and vote on creations. CS:GO and DOTA2 updates are similarly 99% user generated assets. There are almost 35k items on the TF2 page.

Anything published would already be available, but I guess this brings more attention to the creations they include.

MiguelItUp

I really wish we could get like... a TF2 updo, remake, or something. (Or a TF3, lmao) The game is absolutely amazing, and it deserves even more attention. I love that a LOT people are STILL playing it. I revisited it a year or so ago and man, it was great. I'll definitely go back in when this happens.

Holammer

I really wish we could get like... a TF2 updo, remake, or something. (Or a TF3, lmao) The game is absolutely amazing, and it deserves even more attention. I love that a LOT people are STILL playing it. I revisited it a year or so ago and man, it was great. I'll definitely go back in when this happens.
Port it to Source 2, bump up polycounts on the player models... aaaaand you're done.
Imagine what sort of unholy creation a full sequel would become in "current year". Overwatch basically.

A port would remove all the old spaghetti code, give new options to mappers and keep the SFM artists sane.

MiguelItUp

Port it to Source 2, bump up polycounts on the player models... aaaaand you're done.
Imagine what sort of unholy creation a full sequel would become in "current year". Overwatch basically.

A port would remove all the old spaghetti code, give new options to mappers and keep the SFM artists sane.
Exactly! It's honestly something that's LONG overdue at this point.

VN1X

Banned
Yeah I'd love a proper re-imagining of TF2. I'll even take an overhaul like what Respawn is doing with Apex Legends later this month. Or hell, I wouldn't even be mad with an Overwatch 2 situation.

I'd just love for it to go back to basics but with updated QoL features.

flying_sq

I rewatched all the class videos recently, they're actually pretty damn funny. Would be neat to see them do a big update, reinvigorate the hat based economy

Kikorin

Last time I played Team Fortress 2 I was a teenager and I went to school. Glad to hear is still alive and going strong, I thought it was dead by now.

Mokus

I used to play a lot TF2 in the early days up until 2013-14. Also it was the main reason I got used to Steam.

Unfortunately after they switched to a new (and "friendlier") menu system where players are dropped on random servers automatically instead joining by choice, the quality of the matches dropped hard. Now I haw no idea whit whom I'm playing and how to play with them again if I wish.

Holammer

Is this game still good after every controversial update/addition? I've always wanted to play it.
It is, but the experience varies wildly. The server might have a bunch of conga dancing friendlies or a pile of sweaty tryhards with 1000's of hours in the game. Guys that know all the angles and tricks.

I rewatched all the class videos recently, they're actually pretty damn funny. Would be neat to see them do a big update, reinvigorate the hat based economy
You watched the classic class videos, but have you seen... Lazy Purple?

KaiserBecks

Played the shit out of vanilla TF2 shortly after Orange Box came out for Xbox 360, Great memories. I was hoping for a PS5/Xbox port....oh well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Amazing news, I wish we could get a rerelease for next gen consoles, 360/PS3 never got updated past Vanilla TF2.
Given a toaster could run this game these days I don't think it could be much of an issue to try to get even a low end door stop PC recovered from the streets of Haiti to run this game.

YCoCg

I sometimes jump back into TF2 from time to time just to remind myself how much fun mindless chaos can be, very few games managed that.

Top Bottom