• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Sniper Update Info, Pyro Megaton

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Ambassador looks bad ass.

Damn it, when it's the Soldiers turn we better get this:

24dpiz7.png

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The best thing about these updates is that it won't change how well you play Spy. A shit Spy will forever remain a shit Spy, regardless of new toys that you get to play with. It takes a lot less effort to nullify Spies as a Pyro than it does to be an excellent Spy.. granted there are some incredibly shitty Pyros out there who don't even spycheck.

Needless to say, I'm going to have a lot of fun over the coming weeks with Pyro.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
speedpop said:
The best thing about these updates is that it won't change how well you play Spy. A shit Spy will forever remain a shit Spy, regardless of new toys that you get to play with. It takes a lot less effort to nullify Spies as a Pyro than it does to be an excellent Spy.. granted there are some incredibly shitty Pyros out there who don't even spycheck.

Needless to say, I'm going to have a lot of fun over the coming weeks with Pyro.
More spies will shoot people. Thus they will be better.

Also I'll probably be playing scout for the update, hopefully won't get body-shot too many times.
I've switched back the scattergun as well, screw the FAN :lol

speedpop

Yeah I've been brushing up on my Scout skills as well. I never enjoyed the backpush from the FAN and always thought the Scattergun was much better, especially against fellow Scouts.

jasonng

My favorite still is the Valve Corporate Achievement. I seriously wasn't expecting them to have such a great sense of humor about the whole thing.

Rur0ni

jasonng said:
My favorite still is the Valve Corporate Achievement. I seriously wasn't expecting them to have such a great sense of humor about the whole thing.
When the source code to your mega million dollar game leaks, a paltry video is nothing. :lol

firex

I still think it's badass that the spy gets what is basically the Handcannon from RE4 as his unlockable. except it looks even cooler. now I might actually play one instead of spoiling the party by playing pyro.

Ramenman

Blizzard said:
Imagine it -- you run out somewhere, stand still so you have permanent invisibility, and then headshot someone halfway across the map (or however long the range is). Then you either instantly recloak for more permanent invisibility, depending on how the watch works, or you disguise/cloak/run away, to camp somewhere else. The person who shot you might not even get to see where you're going if you can recloak.

That's not possible. When you're cloaked and try to use weapons it doesn't uncloak you, you have to manually uncloak before you can use any of them.
And don't forget, uncloaking takes time. It means that you're totally visible for 1 second before you can actually shoot.

Now Hiring!
May 19, 2009 - Zoid

It's been an interesting week for us here on the Left 4 Dead team. This Monday, for instance, somebody accidentally told Robin Walker he had the power to fire people. In other interesting news, the Left 4 Dead team has all been fired.

Lucky for me, Robin's fired everyone at alphabetical order, and doesn't seem to realize there's a letter after "Y". (Don't tell him.) . Since then it's been pretty quiet. Every hour or so Robin gets on a horse and chases some Greek kid around.

So for now I'm safe, and trying to reassemble the team. Without anyone else to help, I just have this crossword puzzle created by the fine folks at tf2maps.net. So this will have to work as a job application. If you can get this done, that probably means you can spell, which is a good start..

Haha oh god :lol

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
<3 Valve.. This whole leak incident is hilarious. One of the many reasons I love the company so much.

speedpop

Tons of Spies and Snipers around the servers tonight in preparation for the incoming patch. In some cases 4 Snipers and 4 Spies to a single team on a few matches.

It's going to be like hell for the next 2 weeks if you're not a Pyro or Scout.

Lumine

Hey I've been getting into TF2 lately. Got it with that $10 Orange Box deal. The game didn't really click with me at first by wanting to play as a single class in arena. After I started playing payload and control point maps and picking the class the team needs most it did click. Now that I'm used to how most classes play I'm having a blast with this game.

Except for the Spy. I can't seem to figure out how to do backstabs. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I'm standing behind the enemy, as close as possible, wham the attack button, but nothing happens. I know the animation is supposed to change, but this only happened like once or twice out of 10-20 or more tries. Most of the time I end up not attacking at all or doing normal knife slashes and get myself killed. So what am I missing? Am I too close to the enemy? Am I forgetting to press a certain button? Do I need to be cloaked/uncloaked? Am I not allowed to press the attack button before the animation changes? I've tried these things, but I still can't figure it out. I'm probably just overlooking some silly mechanic here, but it's frustrating and causes me not to play a spy at all. Which is a shame, because it seems like a lot of fun. :(

Sorry about the derail, but I just had to ask. Thanks in advance. :)

speedpop said:
Tons of Spies and Snipers around the servers tonight in preparation for the incoming patch. In some cases 4 Snipers and 4 Spies to a single team on a few matches.

No, you just have to not suck. I plan to play engineer.

fresquito

You can't attack while cloacked. So, probably it's the two seconds period of uncloacking that is preventing you from attacking. The best way to backstab is being dressed up and pretendi9ng you're part of the enemy team. Besides, you have to find proper victims and stuff like that. Snipers are the best class to learn how to backstab. Search for them. Besides, you can side-stab, you just have to aim for their back, even when they are sideways.

Lumine said:
Hey I've been getting into TF2 lately. Got it with that $10 Orange Box deal. The game didn't really click with me at first by wanting to play as a single class in arena. After I started playing payload and control point maps and picking the class the team needs most it did click. Now that I'm used to how most classes play I'm having a blast with this game.

Except for the Spy. I can't seem to figure out how to do backstabs. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I'm standing behind the enemy, as close as possible, wham the attack button, but nothing happens. I know the animation is supposed to change, but this only happened like once or twice out of 10-20 or more tries. Most of the time I end up not attacking at all or doing normal knife slashes and get myself killed. So what am I missing? Am I too close to the enemy? Am I forgetting to press a certain button? Do I need to be cloaked/uncloaked? Am I not allowed to press the attack button before the animation changes? I've tried these things, but I still can't figure it out. I'm probably just overlooking some silly mechanic here, but it's frustrating and causes me not to play a spy at all. Which is a shame, because it seems like a lot of fun. :(

Sorry about the derail, but I just had to ask. Thanks in advance. :)
It's no derail buddy, you just have to practice I guess. Maybe you're playing on a very laggy server and the hits aren't corresponding to your player's position. Try and sync up with the character and run with him/her. Then stab.

Practice on some noob servers if you have to. You'll probably find lots of idiot snipers.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
speedpop said:

Oh god its hell for me as I often play Heavy and Spies and Snipers are my bane.

Lumine

Ah so you can't backstab while being cloaked at all? Haha that might be a good reason why it's failed so many times. So I guess the general tactic is to cloak to get behind enemy lines and then try to backstab/sap uncloaked but with an enemy disguise on, right? :)

MNC

Ramenman said:
That's not possible. When you're cloaked and try to use weapons it doesn't uncloak you, you have to manually uncloak before you can use any of them.
And don't forget, uncloaking takes time. It means that you're totally visible for 1 second before you can actually shoot.

Haha oh god :lol
:lol :lol Oh my

fresquito

Lumine said:
Ah so you can't backstab while being cloaked at all? Haha that might be a good reason why it's failed so many times. So I guess the general tactic is to cloak to get behind enemy lines and then try to backstab/sap uncloaked but with an enemy disguise on, right? :)
Yeah, but keep in mind the "acting" is very important. You have to look like a teammate more, and be aware of pyros, they spycheck everything (until they are dumb, which you shouldn't put your hopes on). Calling for a medic from time to time is a good tactic to trick some people.

Playing as a Spy is very tricky. I would recomend you practicing in payload maps, as you can get behind the enemy lines quite easily and kill some people that come from spawn and are only thinking in getting to the battlefield the sooner they can.

BTW, remember that ammo reloads your cloacking device.

Ramenman

fresquito said:
Yeah, but keep in mind the "acting" is very important. You have to look like a teammate more, and be aware of pyros, they spycheck everything (until they are dumb, which you shouldn't put your hopes on). Calling for a medic from time to time is a good tactic to trick some people.

Playing as a Spy is very tricky. I would recomend you practicing in payload maps, as you can get behind the enemy lines quite easily and kill some people that come from spawn and are only thinking in getting to the battlefield the sooner they can.

BTW, remember that ammo reloads your cloacking device.

That's why being a spy is really hard.

This is how I play as a spy, turn into the enemy, cloak, run to a safe area behind them, uncloak, zap things and get shot while doing so :lol sometimes I get lucky and stab a few people and if I see a doctor I aim for them first because nothing is better then ruining a uber charge.

Tomorrow i'm not going to jump right into spy or sniper, think I will ruin the party for people and play pyro or demo to piss off those snipers on 2fort.

Blizzard

Banned
Ramenman said:

You're (presumably) right, and that's a good point. I thought cloaking/uncloaking took less than a second, but hopefully that's still enough to make things more obvious to enemies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TheOneGuy said:
Steal ammo from other players. O:
Engi's would really hate that.

"Okay I'll just grab this crate here... Aw shit the snip--"
*headshot*

Blizzard

Banned
I can't really figure out any way for the sniper to be overpowered now. =( The bow will probably be underpowered compared to the original gun, and no sniper in his right mind will want to get CLOSER to enemies since there's no defense or health boost, and snipers are still really fragile.

The shield removes what little firepower the SMG had, only affects one class, and makes snipers even SLOWER. The only place I can see using it is for camping on the 2Fort balcony, and I guess that will make some snipers happy.

The only possible thing Valve could do now to redeem themselves is to provide a boomerang alternative for the machete/kukri that DECAPITATES enemy players. Otherwise I'll be selling all my Valve games and quitting gaming 4evar! :D

artist

Banned
MNC said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cmvaO0WgJs

I still like this streak :D
It's very old and I have improved since, because there are so many things wrong what I did in that vid.
Yeah, clearly you were owning noobs in that video. :lol

I've been playing on a server with really really good players and once I go to some random server, I'm always at the top. So for the players who are starting out, once you get the hang of the game should switch to servers with really good players. The (2fort) server I'm regular on have some great players like JLove, TheGovnah, Rottentreats etc.

Also as a spy, its best to uncloak in a corner where no one can see you during this phase. If you're midst of an enemy rally, then the best spot is to retreat to the back of the group, uncloak and unleash a set of backstabs. The greatest test of being a spy is patience, its a class with least window of action/oppurtunity so you have to make that window count or it'll get frustating very quickly. Another thing is that you may die often during the start of the round as you measure up the strategy of the opposing team but once you figured out their general strategy, you can pick you plan of attack.

Blizzard said:
I can't really figure out any way for the sniper to be overpowered now. =( The bow will probably be underpowered compared to the original gun, and no sniper in his right mind will want to get CLOSER to enemies since there's no defense or health boost, and snipers are still really fragile.

The shield removes what little firepower the SMG had, only affects one class, and makes snipers even SLOWER. The only place I can see using it is for camping on the 2Fort balcony, and I guess that will make some snipers happy.

The only possible thing Valve could do now to redeem themselves is to provide a boomerang alternative for the machete/kukri that DECAPITATES enemy players. Otherwise I'll be selling all my Valve games and quitting gaming 4evar! :D
Gee, there are other classes you know .. you remind of some players who constantly play the same class (snipers) and camp in the same spots.

jaundicejuice said:
The spy update is going to go a looonnng way in helping me get that maximum burn damage achievement as a pyro.
You mean Pyromancer? I have about 20+ hours as a pyro and have only 360k :( It'll take a lot to get 1 million. The same kind of achievement for medic, I feel is easier. I've 10+ hrs as a medic and have 400k in heal points.

Twig

Banned
Halycon said:
Engi's would really hate that.

"Okay I'll just grab this crate here... Aw shit the snip--"
*headshot*
No I mean like Zelda style where you hit people with the boomerang and get some of their ammo!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe this will help me to finally unlock something in the game. I love playing a Sniper, so hopefully I'll get one of those, but all the Snipers and Spies running around will help a lot with hitting those Pyro achievements.

Blizzard

Banned
irfan said:
Gee, there are other classes you know .. you remind of some players who constantly play the same class (snipers) and camp in the same spots.

I know, and I was being silly. But I am a little sad that they give so many boosts to a class like spy (which is already decent in the right hands), and don't really help some other classes, like sniper. Heavy wasn't really improved much, as other people mentioned, but with the right setup (two heavies and two medics, with a pyro spychecking), heavies can still do decent damage even with default weapons.

artist

Banned
Blizzard said:
I know, and I was being silly. But I am a little sad that they give so many boosts to a class like spy (which is already decent in the right hands), and don't really help some other classes, like sniper. Heavy wasn't really improved much, as other people mentioned, but with the right setup (two heavies and two medics, with a pyro spychecking), heavies can still do decent damage even with default weapons.
If the sniper unlockables dont help the Sniper, then Valve will de-nerf them. :p I'm really confident in Valve's ability of listening to feedback from the community. See demoman stickies, scout sandman and other weapons that were balanced by Valve after release.

Dougald

Blizzard said:

Sniper doesn't really need any help, TBH. As Valve have already mentioned, he can kill without being in any danger at all (apart from someone getting up behind him). The only real vulnerability they have from standing way at the back of the lines in from spies (or some other class managing to sneak around, which is far less frequent), and the razorback addresses that. It will be interesting to see what effect that has on gameplay, I'm looking forward to it!

Top Bottom