• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

Shin-Ra

v1.02 - not sure how big.

22969183740_c848b2b42c_o.png
Hopefully it fixes the stutter when syncing stuff online with tearaway.me

Tried this yesterday. What a wonderful game. My 5 year old daughter loves it as well.

Bought it today alongside Journey, Nathan Drake Collection and until Dawn for £73. Happy days.

Raw64life

I'm enjoying this game well enough to keep playing it but it reminds me of all the bad parts of Super Mario Sunshine. I'm constantly fighting the camera, and this completely optional parkour platforming sidequest I just played should have been half the game instead of an one-off sidequest.

But at least SMS was glitch free. I've had to reset the game several times already because either a gopher fell through the world and never came back or a fan just doesn't blow no matter what I do it. Both times I had to look up a video walkthrough on YouTube just to confirm that I wasn't missing something and the game did in fact just glitch out.

I'm in the wendigo fissure now. The game continues to be an absolute delight in almost every way, and is quite a bit longer than I thought it was going to be, although I spend a lot of time exploring each zone.

I can pick this up for £15 - worth it as someone who was two trophies away from the platinum on the Vita version? Is there enough to differentiate it from the original or will I be bored playing it again?

Agent X

I can pick this up for £15 - worth it as someone who was two trophies away from the platinum on the Vita version? Is there enough to differentiate it from the original or will I be bored playing it again?

There are numerous additions and changes to make this worth considering a distinct game in its own right. Right from the beginning, you will notice some significant differences.

why is walk speed so slow? can you speed it up somehow or do you need some kind of power?

There's an ability you can earn that will give you an alternate method of movement, which can be faster in certain situations.

There are numerous additions and changes to make this worth considering a distinct game in its own right. Right from the beginning, you will notice some significant differences.

I have been wondering the same thing as I have the platinum trophy on the Vita. I thought that version was amazing. £14.99 for the messenger version is very tempting and after reading this, I think I am going to take the plunge.

This game is a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. I expected like a 4-5 hour game but it's going to take me at least double that. Ony getting about 70 - 80% completion per stage too. I think I'm in the last third of the game though, after two fake out endings.

How difficult are the controls in this game? From what age do you think a child could play it?

It introduces mechanics really slowly and is pretty easy for the most part with long stretches of adventuring and creating rather than platforming. There are some tricky platforming/puzzle solving moments though. I'd say a pretty young kid could handle it, although they might need help every once and a while.

Omg just beat it. Was not expexting it to get so existential and trippy towards the end. Such a fantastic game, and charming as hell. Probably my second favorite game this year after Bloodborne.

well fuck this game. restarted the long ass chapter and still the same shit. they probably won't patch anything, so this will be the first game i'll throw away this gen. congrats.

The horrible camera is sucking all enjoyment I was having from this game. I don't remember it being this bad on the vita at all.

The horrible camera is sucking all enjoyment I was having from this game. I don't remember it being this bad on the vita at all.

It was frequently wonky or auto-locked on Vita as well, but the way the stages are designed in this version seems to increase the occasions that things get stuck or interfere.

There are a lot of problems with this version in the sense that increasing the game's size has inflated many of it's fundamental flaws rather than simply increasing the amount of content. What was enjoyable tends to be just as enjoyable, but the parts that felt clunky now feel padded as well.

The Vita version successfully walked a fine line between collectathon and physics puzzler, this crosses that line into open world pointlessness at certain parts.

It's a shame because I feel it generally plays better, the IQ is insane, the worldbuilding is wonderful, and the DS4 is an inherently more sensible piece of hardware - except the soul of the game still lies in papercraft, something which felt more at place in your hands and made the entire concept more believable. This sometimes feels detached and aimless in ways the Vita version never did.

Everything is telling me the PS4 version is a better game, but the pacing is making me enjoy it less.

Just finished this. Thought it was pretty good. The art direction was really insane and creative, and some of the levels were really cool.

The pacing was a -little- iffy and I couldn't get into all of the drawing stuff. However, this game has pure charm, and I get the vibe that MM definitely stuck to their vision without feeling like a compromise was made. Worth the $20 I paid for it.

btw, i cleared that part i mentioned above by plugging in my arcade stick. not sure why some mechanics don't work with my 1st gen pad in this game. the platforms also wouldn't come out properly in that lab parcour too. saw some screens of others having the same prob. anway, i finished this game. glad i'm done with these glitches.

It was frequently wonky or auto-locked on Vita as well, but the way the stages are designed in this version seems to increase the occasions that things get stuck or interfere.

There are a lot of problems with this version in the sense that increasing the game's size has inflated many of it's fundamental flaws rather than simply increasing the amount of content. What was enjoyable tends to be just as enjoyable, but the parts that felt clunky now feel padded as well.

The Vita version successfully walked a fine line between collectathon and physics puzzler, this crosses that line into open world pointlessness at certain parts.

It's a shame because I feel it generally plays better, the IQ is insane, the worldbuilding is wonderful, and the DS4 is an inherently more sensible piece of hardware - except the soul of the game still lies in papercraft, something which felt more at place in your hands and made the entire concept more believable. This sometimes feels detached and aimless in ways the Vita version never did.

Everything is telling me the PS4 version is a better game, but the pacing is making me enjoy it less.

I agree completely, unfortunately, and noticed all of the stuff you listed during my time playing it. I'm now having trouble finding motivation to finish it out after getting about 60% of the way through.

They did a decent enough job with the content they added in, but overall I feel like it took the perfect length of the original game and dragged it out way longer than it needs to be. The re-worked conceit I'm also far less sold on. It's understandable, of course, since making the face-in-the-sun work with the PS4 camera would likely be an exercise in hilarity - not to mention that there's no guarantee that the player has one. It just falls so flat in Unfolded, though, and there's no connection or spark of interest for me.

The papercrafting works as well as can be expected using the relatively microscopic DS4 touchpad - and I'd even go so far as to say I got pretty good with it - but the original version is so steeped in Vita hardware functionality usage that it's just no comparison.

I'm disappointed overall, but I'm glad that more people will be exposed to the game in any form. I'll probably just go back to the Vita version :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I agree completely, unfortunately, and noticed all of the stuff you listed during my time playing it. I'm now having trouble finding motivation to finish it out after getting about 60% of the way through.

They did a decent enough job with the content they added in, but overall I feel like it took the perfect length of the original game and dragged it out way longer than it needs to be.

I wish I could compare with the Vita version, because I agree completely on Unfolded: it's stretched way too thin. I was ready for the game to end after the first world, but it kept going and going. I liked the Between the Pages level, because it finally had the platforming I was looking for. Maybe I was looking for the wrong things in this game, because I was very disappointed with it and did not have fun most of the time. I love the artstyle, aesthetic and soundtrack, but it's a shame the game is a complete drag to play most of the time.

I wish I could compare with the Vita version, because I agree completely on Unfolded: it's stretched way too thin. I was ready for the game to end after the first world, but it kept going and going. I liked the Between the Pages level, because it finally had the platforming I was looking for. Maybe I was looking for the wrong things in this game, because I was very disappointed with it and did not have fun most of the time. I love the artstyle, aesthetic and soundtrack, but it's a shame the game is a complete drag to play most of the time.

Amusingly, after making that post and slogging through the first half of the game, I got to Sogport, which is a stage I actually like more in this than in the Vita version.

I found the Vita version suffered from pretty anemic platforming until The Lab as well, but the tighter pacing gave the game a more tangible structure and didn't have patches that felt like wasted space before you got there.

Really, both games are intended to be three distinct acts, with both suffering in the gameplay department until the final act due to a lack of any discernable challenge. But this has been a good example of how important pacing really is and how it can assist a game that has some thin parts.

It's a real shame too because there is a lot of new stuff here, much of it a real improvement in the worldbuilding department, some of it even more creative than the Vita version. But just like the Vita version, there's simply not enough mixing of gameplay elements outside of scrap attacks until Act 3, only in this version it's made more apparent.

It's very sad to have something that had so much work go into it both from an artistic and performance standpoint end up commiting the worst sin of all: it's sometimes just plain boring.

Still, maybe I'm being too hard on it and misremembering the Vita version, or maybe the lack of that immersion that the Vita hardware gave is playing a bigger part than I'm giving credit for.

Raw64life

I just finished this game. About 2/3 through the game I dropped it but came back a couple of weeks later to finish the game and I'm glad I did. The last 1/3 of the game is easily the best. Although the camera stays shitty throughout, it had the platforming I was looking for. Good game overall, but the glitches and god awful camera keep it from being great.

Yeah the camera was one of the worst I've used, sadly, and I'm someone who thinks Souls games camera is fine. Didn't keep me from loving the game though.

Just finished the first part (I guess you can call it that) and I don't care if I continue playing or not. It's just a boring game to me. I really wanted it to be over but once I saw another slide of bookmarks appear, I almost shed a tear in pain. I'll list a few of my annoyances and be gone, so here they are: The world seems bland and there is a lot of walking. By I mean by that, is that there are times where you can keep walking and nothing of interest is around. This has to be a hidden loading screen right? Also, the NPC's or the characters you see throughout are seriously just a waste of time...unless they have that blue mark. Most of them don't have anything to say and those that do say stuff keep mentioning the crows for the hundred time. And what's up with being stopped every now and then by a character speaking? It happens way too often and afterwords I have to find my place again. Meaning, where the hell am I, cause the camera takes a spin.

I would talk more about my dislikes but I don't have the time. I feel really disappointed with this game considering how many people have praised it.

Just finished the first part (I guess you can call it that) and I don't care if I continue playing or not. It's just a boring game to me. I really wanted it to be over but once I saw another slide of bookmarks appear, I almost shed a tear in pain. I'll list a few of my annoyances and be gone, so here they are: The world seems bland and there is a lot of walking. By I mean by that, is that there are times where you can keep walking and nothing of interest is around. This has to be a hidden loading screen right? Also, the NPC's or the characters you see throughout are seriously just a waste of time...unless they have that blue mark. Most of them don't have anything to say and those that do say stuff keep mentioning the crows for the hundred time. And what's up with being stopped every now and then by a character speaking? It happens way too often and afterwords I have to find my place again. Meaning, where the hell am I, cause the camera takes a spin.

I would talk more about my dislikes but I don't have the time. I feel really disappointed with this game considering how many people have praised it.
At least play it until you have the jumping ability. The first level is pretty lackluster, but the game gets a lot better once you gain the ability to jump.

At least play it until you have the jumping ability. The first level is pretty lackluster, but the game gets a lot better once you gain the ability to jump.

I guess I should be more clear. I've made it past the part where you climb the mountain and then the women narrator says there's needs to be a twist. I'm assuming this is the halfway point in the game.

Speaking of that, they should have made jumping available from the start.

I guess I should be more clear. I've made it past the part where you climb the mountain and then the women narrator says there's needs to be a twist. I'm assuming this is the halfway point in the game.

Speaking of that, they should have made jumping available from the start.

That's about 1/3 of the way through. The 2nd third is a bit better. The final 3rd feels like a totally different game. It's really bizarre and unfortunate because that 1/3 is a very unique and engaging experience not entirely like any other in the medium right now.

dangeROSS

I bought this game a while ago, but just started it the other night. I didn't expect the visuals to impress me as much as they did. It's a very beautiful game. I'm only a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I don't mind the running speed much, it's kind of nice to have a slower paced almost relaxing vibe to the game. The lack of a jump button was kinda odd for the beginning segment however.

I do love the fact that the game uses features of the Controller in interesting ways. It sort of reminds me of when Ape Escape came out for the PS1 and the control mechanics of that game blew my mind because they were so neat. And I also am thankful they didn't force you to use the Playstation camera if you wanted to take upload photos and such. I just downloaded the Playstation app and use my phone for uploading images. Which is good fun.

I imagine I still have a bit of a ways to go before I finish the game, but I am very happy with it so far and am glad Sony put the effort in to bring this to the PS4. More original fun, interesting games like this are exactly what I've been looking forward to playing.

vHydqxMl.jpg

AyPpq11l.jpg

njND5bK.gif

Qwyjibo

I started this game last night as well and it has already frustrated me with a bug.

At the very beginning when those box enemies first appear, there is a sequence where you have two friendlies stuck on a pillar. I was honestly stuck here for 20 minutes trying to figure out what I was missing. I thought "This is just Tearaway, I can't possibly suck at video games THIS much!".

Today I resorted to a walkthrough and found out that my game glitched. There are supposed to be two enemies slamming against the pillars. I only had one and it looked like he was coming out of the ground. I couldn't even guide him using the light to do anything. I thought this was just part of the game.

I absolutely love the look and feel of this game but please, no more confusing bugs!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Anybody know how to get your pictures to stick to the intended blank surfaces and not the surrounding ground sheets?

dangeROSS

I was finally able to finish this the other day. Great overall experience. And surprisingly longer then I expected it to be. I never played the Vita version, so I don't know what content was additional compared to the original, but I felt the variety of levels and overall length was just right. One part I enjoyed in particular was a optional challenge mission that had you using all the features of the Dual Shock 4 for some creative platforming. I wish there had been some more of that in the game. It really made for some interesting gameplay. Loved the soundtrack and the graphics to me are some really amazing stuff. The addition of being able to export photos and .Gifs was also a genius idea.

ArCjFkX.gif

oqkaysR.gif

osQubzz.gif

hUNgJtU.gif

I've just got to the labs and I'm heading to meet the chief scientist. I'm only a couple of chapters from the end, aren't I? Have the Platinum on the Vita version but it's a couple of years since I've played it. I've had this in my backlog since launch and I'm kind of powering through so I can finish and put it aside.

Reached Between the Pages last night; I just need to finish up tonight. My enjoyment has been up and down - it's still a great game and it has incredible amounts of charm, but it has some weird pacing issues and I've encountered probably half a dozen minor but nonetheless annoying glitches. I may return in a few months to try for the Platty, but right now I've had my fill of the game and I'm looking to just finish up and move on.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played through this over the weekend. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot, but I liked the Vita version better.

The pacing is off with many of the additions, and the game overstayed it's welcome a bit in general. The ending section was very odd too--neat gameplay ideas, but the tone didn't really fit the rest of the game.

Still a solid 8/10 game. Just not up to the 9/10 level of the Vita game with the pacing issues and missing some of the charm from the Vita features (camera, rear touch finger poking etc.).

Top Bottom