• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown has been released without an inverted controls option, in 2023.

Do you use inverted controls?

• No. Up is up and down is down, just like when I'm moving my eyes around to see.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Yes. Forward looks down and backward looks up, just like when I'm moving my head around to see.

Votes: 51 45.1%
  • I can generally play either way.

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
I looked forward to playing this all day, and when I finally can, I can't.

Sad Disappointment GIF by Angry Birds

I'm honestly disappointed that Sony would even allow certification without an inverted controls option. A few words about the situation taken from reddit:

I was in contact with the dev on their discord this morning:

I posted: The channel shows mention this morning that they’re “looking at adding inverted control settings” for console versions. So I don’t need to ask if it’s a hidden but available option, or if they know they flubbed this. I would like to ask for a forecast time frame. Is this something you think you could get into a patch in the next week or is this the sort of thing that I might as well just uninstall until 2024?

Danny replied: Sorry, I can't tell you exactly when this will be implemented but it's a high priority issue.

Puscifer

If you're not flying a plane, why? Why would anyone use this?
Red Dead Revolver was probably the only game I can think of where I used that control scheme and for some reason that game seemingly demanded it so I was cool with it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you're not flying a plane, why? Why would anyone use this?
Why is it used when flying a plane? Anyway for me it was Jedi Knight where what is now 'inverted' was 'normal'.
On a similar note, did they fix this in Quake 2 when playing splitscreen on PC?

Last edited:
I've seen this happen in one game before. Can't remember what. I can play with either but non-invert is baby vomit.
had to drop my attempted replay of wind waker because of this (don't ask how i played it twice before - i've obviously lost my versatility)...

BlackTron

somethings wrong with your head and neck, get a checkup asap!

Something is wrong with your reputation, get it checked. If you were incapable of conceptualizing what I said before replying, you should have tried it in real life.

Look up at the ceiling. What direction does your head move? Oh, backwards. Now, do it at the same time as pressing down on a control stick. Seriously, do this in real life right now. Certainly before you post something like that again.

N30RYU

Something is wrong with your reputation, get it checked. If you were incapable of conceptualizing what I said before replying, you should have tried it in real life.

Look up at the ceiling. What direction does your head move? Oh, backwards. Now, do it at the same time as pressing down on a control stick. Seriously, do this in real life right now. Certainly before you post something like that again.
An when you look at your right the back of you head moves left...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Your eyes is looking up when you are looking up.

The camera is your eyes ,not just your alien head.

Broooooooo

Last edited:

BlackTron

An when you look at your right the back of you head moves left...

You guys are insufferable. Your entire head arches forward or backward to look up or down with a corresponding shift in your weight distribution/center of gravity. Looking left or right is just a pivot with no such sensation .Stop already.

I would like you to go talk to a real life airline pilot and tell them that left/right should be inverted in addition to up/down for one of these reasons you pulled out of your ass.

For the record I can play both and have, but it's nonsense for anyone to have to adapt or rewire themselves for even 30 seconds to shift between games when the game should do the rewiring. "Why would anyone ever do that" is just apologizing for lacking a basic feature you didn't want.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s sabre interactive so that explains a lot.

Anyway. Who to uses I vetted in fps games. That’s some demonic shit.

edit: of course I am joking. How can there be no good control settings wtf

Last edited:

skit_data

Playing with inverted look/camera controls is something that truly fascinates me because I never do that myself, but I can also kind of see exactly why that option is so important when I play a game where they have "non inverted" controls in a flying/swimming section (In those I really really need inverted Y axis because otherwise it feels so damn wierd).

Last edited:

BlackTron

This isn't about trying to prove that inverted is right and inverted is wrong, it's about trying to prove that if you actually think inverted is wrong you have a problem.

You like non-inverted, I have no problem with you. I have a problem with being told inverted is somehow messed up. It isn't.

We get used to what we're trained on. Old schoolers so happened to be trained on something that aligns with how our bodies and real aircraft work (I wonder why that is, btw). So get off our fucking case.

People who play inverted started with Goldeneye 007, which means everyone else’s opinion is invalid.

Inverted forever.
this natural way of things has been reinforced in games since playing Goldeneye, and changing it is like switching hands.
I knew you guys would mention Goldeneye lol. I almost became an inverted player as well due to playing a bit of Goldeneye and Starfox 64 at a very young age. Thankfully I had moved on to GameCube shortly after playing both.

I feel like the N64 incidentally made a bunch of people grow up being used to inverted controls. It made sense for that controller and that controller only.

Codes 208

And nothing of value was lost. I havent used inverted since that was the default back in the n64 days.
Idk, normal people?

If you look up in real life, you pull your head back. If you look down in real life, you push your head forward. For some, this natural way of things has been reinforced in games since playing Goldeneye, and changing it is like switching hands.
Do you move your cursor up by moving your mouse forwards or back?

BlackTron

I knew you guys would mention Goldeneye lol. I almost became an inverted player as well due to playing a bit of Goldeneye and Starfox 64 at a very young age. Thankfully I had moved on to GameCube shortly after playing both.

I feel like the N64 incidentally made a bunch of people grow up being used to inverted controls. It made sense for that controller and that controller only.

Here's the thing. I too played all the same N64 games, but when I moved on to Gamecube, flying games like Rogue Squadron 2 were still inverted, as they should be. I don't even remember what happened with FPS games because I merely dabbled in console FPS post-64 and started using a mouse like most sane people.

This is a different conversation but the 64 still had the best FPS controls. The modern dual analog thing is a dystopian future for FPS games. I would still play the genre on TV once in a while if the industry had done better, but just completely gave up after trying to like Halo 2 and never looked back.

Doesn't mean I never have to aim in a console game though. Ie Ratchet & Clank.

Crayon

And nothing of value was lost. I havent used inverted since that was the default back in the n64 days.

That's why i don't like it. Pushing the cursor around is lame. I want to pilot my head.

DragonNCM

I'm playing inverted controls because damn Ace combat 1 on PS 1
On serious note people who use more their left side of the brain in combination with Occipital back lower part of the brain, (Interprets vision color, light, movement) tend to use inverted controls.

BlackTron

It's getting hard to tell whether you guys are serious or being intentionally disingenuous to be annoying.

No I don't invert the mouse. It's a different input method. A control stick is like a lever. If you can imagine the lever under the stick kept going, it would pull up when you push it down. The same way, if you push down on a gun's stock near your chest, the muzzle will aim up. A mouse has nothing in common with this and is just using the same 1:1 point and click we do in Windows in a game.

BlackTron

Push your head forward. It goes down. Pull your head back. It goes up.

The stick on the controller rotates the same way as your head atop your neck. It's not like a mouse on a flat plane.

Inverted is objectively correct.

I think there are good arguments for why inverted is a "natural" option, but I'm not trying to force it on anyone.

Just trying to get non-inverted folk to stop calling it a disability option. Losers.

ByWatterson

I think there are good arguments for why inverted is a "natural" option, but I'm not trying to force it on anyone.

Just trying to get non-inverted folk to stop calling it a disability option. Losers.

Yeah, same.

I don't care what people want to do, but the smugness on such a trivial topic from the other side is off-putting.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I played for many, many years inverted. Then I started sharing games and some profiles with the kids and they woukd whine like babies that I inverted the controls. So about 3 years I switched, it was surprising how fast my brain adapted.

How about we accept that some people prefer to control a game certain ways, stop being cunts about it, and go back to shitting on a dev who thought it's okay to render the game virtually unplayable to a significant portion of the audience.

Kadve

I hope you know what you have unleashed OP...

Anyway. Got this thing a birthday present back in the day and it also only had the "wrong" analog movement. Played it anyway though (no, its not very good. I was a kid though and didn't have that many games) and i think my muscle memory regarding inverted/non-inverted is messed up ever since.

Bujingai_cover.jpg

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Is there not a standard options template that every dev uses? Missing this off is bad.
Idk, normal people?

If you look up in real life, you pull your head back. If you look down in real life, you push your head forward. For some, this natural way of things has been reinforced in games since playing Goldeneye, and changing it is like switching hands.

You guys are insufferable. Your entire head arches forward or backward to look up or down with a corresponding shift in your weight distribution/center of gravity. Looking left or right is just a pivot with no such sensation .Stop already.

I would like you to go talk to a real life airline pilot and tell them that left/right should be inverted in addition to up/down for one of these reasons you pulled out of your ass.

For the record I can play both and have, but it's nonsense for anyone to have to adapt or rewire themselves for even 30 seconds to shift between games when the game should do the rewiring. "Why would anyone ever do that" is just apologizing for lacking a basic feature you didn't want.
Listen, BlackWrong. I knew someone was going to go with this argument before I even clicked it, and it might have been you the last time it came up.

I grew up on N64's inverted FPSs too. I used to prefer it but now I can't stand it.

When you move your muscles, you aren't consciously choosing to contract muscle groups that affect the body part you want to move, you just do it. When you or the character need to look up, you look up. You don't think about pulling down first. This isn't QWOP where you control each limb on its own. Most act as if they are the character, not as if the right stick controls a puppet's head from a top down perspective. That puppet - the external control, is why aircraft controls aren't the same as character control for those that invert there alone. We all know that it's a conscious movement to push or pull a flight stick, or whatever the proper name is.

Logically it doesn't hold up past up/down, either. Turning left of right doesn't move your neck infinite degrees, but it does in a game. Therefore the camera/look stick is not a neck control, it's a direct control of where you want to look independent of any specific muscular group.

Then you move onto third person cameras where there could be more arguments either way, but it gets even less consistent. Intuitive controls and consistency are key, which is why non-inverted as become standard across the board. It's still absurd that this game doesn't have the option though, even inverted X should be there despite how ridiculous that is.

It's obvious you disagree, but the way you are doing it isn't helping your case.

Top Bottom