• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teardown has been released without an inverted controls option, in 2023.

Do you use inverted controls?

• No. Up is up and down is down, just like when I'm moving my eyes around to see.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • Yes. Forward looks down and backward looks up, just like when I'm moving my head around to see.

Votes: 51 45.1%
  • I can generally play either way.

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Imagine a big fuck-off thumbstick attached to the top of your head.

What way would somebody need to move it to make you look up and down? There’s your answer!

Inverted is the only natural way to play.
This. I can't understand why folks would play any other way.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I walked into this thread thinking equality of preferences for everyone, but I'm staggered by how lobotomizing the conduct is of the pro-non-inverted crowd. It's a massive steaming pile of logical fallacies and bad faith arguments.

Certainly, you left triggered emojis on enough posts to have clearly had the opportunity to know these points were already covered in the thread.

Mario Odyssey doesn't even have aiming so I assume there is some sort of intentional non-equivalence going on there.

As for the "head stick", in fact that would require the ability to literally pivot/rotate the stick to create some sort of equivalent effect.

Whether Miyamoto is the final word or not, fact is that's how he made his games, even Ocarina of Time, so we know his opinion on it. But of course, let's change that to the question of whether he gets the final word (a strawman fallacy).

Guys I don't want to tear down your bad faith arguments and fallacies all day. Fact is, it's a preference that goes all the way back to Shigeru Miyamoto. Anyone should be able to respect that preference one way or another. All this effort to prove the other camp "wrong" (mostly non-inverted types having a problem) points to some sort of petty mental illness that you need to get over. Indeed, despite the fact that I see non-inverted becoming default as a symptom of the dumbification of gaming, I have no issue with it and just let people play however they want. I don't care. I take issue with non-inverted types having no respect for another's preference and calling it a "you problem" or "sickos". Fucking kids.

I'm astonished by how many people here I would have thought were adults are actually kids. I'm going to have to start treating GAF like it's Tiktok. I mean like even start swearing less often. It's not appropriate around you kiddos
I was going to leave you to cry in peace, but I think it's time to put you out of your misery.

The truth is that you're the only one that actually cares. This whole thread is banter, nothing more than faux-tribalism over something we all know has absolutely zero stakes. But here you are bitching and moaning that everyone else is a child when you're the only one being so laughably childish and throwing tantrums over something that no one gives a shit about. Do you really think people view inverted Y axis users as disabled* or want them to burn at the stake?

You told me not to patronise you, but here I am having to explain the obvious joke to just you.

*I do not speak for Spukc Spukc
To the naysayers:

Pretend for a moment that the top of your head is a thumb stick.

Place your thumb on the top of your head and push forward; where does your face point?

Now, pull back on the top of your head; where does your face point?

You’re welcome.
Why does the Y axis control the neck muscles specifically but the X axis rotates the entire body? Or are you part owl?

stan against evil GIF by IFC

I stay naying when I'm saying

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The people calling others 'freaks' for liking inverted are the same type of people who drip dry their dicks then wet their pants at urinals

Just straight savages.

Real men choose inverted and use cubicles to paper dry their manhood. Refined Gents :messenger_sunglasses:

Remember this the next time you've put it away at your luddite splash trays and the overspill warms your legs, savage.

Gudji

I once had a teammate lose his mind while watching me play CS at a lan tournament "how the fuck do you hit so many headshots while playing like that" 😱

Rockondevil

I'm genuinely surprised by the results of the poll as I don't actually know anyone who plays inverted outside of flight controls.

BlackTron

I was going to leave you to cry in peace, but I think it's time to put you out of your misery.

The truth is that you're the only one that actually cares. This whole thread is banter, nothing more than faux-tribalism over something we all know has absolutely zero stakes.

If you're going to use that, then really every topic on the whole gaming forum is an equal opportunity for bad behavior because it's all meaningless (it's gaming).

People get banned for console warring, they don't get to say "bro it's just banter I'll never have any impact on the real console wars" after treating people like shit over it. It's just another example of trying to weasel out.

There is also too much (attempted) logical discussion by inverted players to deconstruct why inverted is "wrong". It's not funny, sassy, or banter, it's just straight up smooth-brain nonsense like "airplanes only do it because of G-forces". Right, I'm sure people who come up with that stuff are just bantering faux-tribalism for fun and "don't care".

This really hit critical mass for me when someone said to OP "this is a you problem". Fact is, this is a dev problem, and that comment only became "faux-tribalism for fun" when your camp began suffering too many blows.

BlackTron

I'm genuinely surprised by the results of the poll as I don't actually know anyone who plays inverted outside of flight controls.

I imagine most people will stick to default unless they're already used to inverted (which used to be default), so I'd be pretty fascinated to know the age distribution in the results. Were your friends gaming in the 90s?

Rockondevil

I imagine most people will stick to default unless they're already used to inverted (which used to be default), so I'd be pretty fascinated to know the age distribution in the results. Were your friends gaming in the 90s?
Yeah we’re all mid to late 80’s born so gaming in 90’s was the thing to do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

How the fuck is this topic 4 pages already?

Do many people really use inverse controls?

I use an inverse grip when i fap but that is as far as i go in term of quirkiness :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
This thread man

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

I do think it’s odd that the game doesn’t have an invert option. I personally don’t play inverted (cause I’m not a sociopath) RELAX, it’s a joke.

Can you not invert the whole OS though on the system settings, I think OT needs to have a word with themselves creating a whole thread about this 😂. It is very entertaining though.

I can understand being stuck with one method or the other, but people able to do both... wow.

With a few weeks training certainly everything goes, but back and forth would drive me mad.

I'm not like...INTO playing inverted. I just learned that way I guess and re-training myself seems pointless when virtually every game has the option.

But thanks to this thread I'm now hip to Teardown and this game looks fucking cool! Anyone have any impressions?

BlackTron

I can understand being stuck with one method or the other, but people able to do both... wow.

With a few weeks training certainly everything goes, but back and forth would drive me mad.

The only situation I really can't do both is flight controls. In Lego Star Wars, I used the default on-foot controls (non-inverted) but when I got to a flying section I was completely stymied. I didn't realize there was an option to invert just the flight controls at first, so I did a whole flight level with the default controls because the game is easy, but I had to put myself in a trance like I wasn't piloting a ship and was doing some other task. Eventually, I inverted flight controls, but then I needed to "switch back" when I returned to on-foot. Not that bad, but a little annoying.

Back on N64 I played probably hundreds of hours of Star Fox and Rogue Squadron. Which of course had inverted controls. But back then when you switched to 007 or Zelda on-foot. It was still inverted, further reinforcing it. And I still play those games semi-regularly. With non-invert, you feel you are just controlling a reticle or camera, which is fine. Back then, it created the sensation you were controlling the characters body and holding the instrument, like a lever, and reinforced it in many titles. You can 100% do both, but you need to create the right context in your brain for it.

Edit: Talking about Star Wars reminds me. If you watch the scene where Han and Luke are using the Falcon's gunner turrets in ANH to shoot down the TIE fighters, they have inverted controls. When they push down on the handles, the turret swings up and vice-versa. And they aren't flying, they're manning a stationary turret. You wouldn't think anything of it watching it, because it seems like the natural way the device would work in real life. There's a reason Nintendo did this back in the day. When they made OOT, they actually wanted "realism" in the new trailblazing 3D. There are completely different goals today.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned
To the naysayers:

Pretend for a moment that the top of your head is a thumb stick.

Place your thumb on the top of your head and push forward; where does your face point?

Now, pull back on the top of your head; where does your face point?

You’re welcome.
There is no stick in normal people's heads and they don't need to imagine a stick up their ass either

KungFucius

King Snowflake
For the record I can play both and have, but it's nonsense for anyone to have to adapt or rewire themselves for even 30 seconds to shift between games when the game should do the rewiring. "Why would anyone ever do that" is just apologizing for lacking a basic feature you didn't want.
Right. We shouldn't have to deal with switching between Nintendo Button meanings and everyone else either. Right button = cancel, not confirm.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Is there not a standard options template that every dev uses? Missing this off is bad.

Listen, BlackWrong. I knew someone was going to go with this argument before I even clicked it, and it might have been you the last time it came up.

I grew up on N64's inverted FPSs too. I used to prefer it but now I can't stand it.

When you move your muscles, you aren't consciously choosing to contract muscle groups that affect the body part you want to move, you just do it. When you or the character need to look up, you look up. You don't think about pulling down first. This isn't QWOP where you control each limb on its own. Most act as if they are the character, not as if the right stick controls a puppet's head from a top down perspective. That puppet - the external control, is why aircraft controls aren't the same as character control for those that invert there alone. We all know that it's a conscious movement to push or pull a flight stick, or whatever the proper name is.

Logically it doesn't hold up past up/down, either. Turning left of right doesn't move your neck infinite degrees, but it does in a game. Therefore the camera/look stick is not a neck control, it's a direct control of where you want to look independent of any specific muscular group.

Then you move onto third person cameras where there could be more arguments either way, but it gets even less consistent. Intuitive controls and consistency are key, which is why non-inverted as become standard across the board. It's still absurd that this game doesn't have the option though, even inverted X should be there despite how ridiculous that is.

It's obvious you disagree, but the way you are doing it isn't helping your case.

You know the thread is heading for disaster/hilarity when QWOP enters the picture! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BlackTron

Right. We shouldn't have to deal with switching between Nintendo Button meanings and everyone else either. Right button = cancel, not confirm.

Meh. Nintendo has the same button layout they have used since 1991, and Sony's controller has shared DNA with it from back when the PS was a Nintendo device. In the interest of having unique conventions and "trade dress", the other platforms changed.

Tams

The people calling others 'freaks' for liking inverted are the same type of people who drip dry their dicks then wet their pants at urinals

Just straight savages.

Real men choose inverted and use cubicles to paper dry their manhood. Refined Gents :messenger_sunglasses:

Remember this the next time you've put it away at your luddite splash trays and the overspill warms your legs, savage.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Never going to stop blokes putting their wet schlong back in their pants, don't matter how much they shake :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anti inverted heathens.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's really bizarre for me to learn that many people play videogames by imagining they are a third party controlling the character like a little marionette instead of just being the character.
Doesn't really matter. Sticks go left and right and forward and backwards. There is no up and down so it's all about how you convert forwards and backwards into up and down and most of us learned by playing a game where the default controls were one way or the other, for me Jedi Knight which defaulted to the forward equals down, it's just post-hoc rationalizing.

Something is wrong with your reputation, get it checked. If you were incapable of conceptualizing what I said before replying, you should have tried it in real life.

Look up at the ceiling. What direction does your head move? Oh, backwards. Now, do it at the same time as pressing down on a control stick. Seriously, do this in real life right now. Certainly before you post something like that again.

your head move backwards but your eyes move up, if you move your head backwards but move your eyes down you wont look up at the ceiling, the eyes movement is more important than your head movement in fact if you dont need to face directly at the ceiling, just a bit, you dont need to move your head at all only your eyes, you only move your head or your chest if you are 80's batman, when you need to move the area your eyes see

Last edited:
Let me add this:
If you play inverted on a controller you are normal and my family.

If you play inverted on a mouse you are some inbred distant cousin to me who I don't want to be associated with.

bro come GIF

Last edited:

user1337

Downloaded it, started it...15 seconds into the game checked settings, didn't see the option to invert. Deleted the game.

Will wait for a patch that adds that option in.

Top Bottom