• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech-Support: How do I transfer an email account from one computer to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai3345

Banned
Hey GAF,
My parents have recently gotten a new computer and they wish to transfer their email from the old computer (which is probably riddled with viruses and trojans and the like). They're not using Gmail or anything like that, they're using their Outlook Express account.

Anyway they've hired me to transfer their email over to the new computer, the only problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone help me?

giga

Outlook Express is just the client. Who's the original email provider? (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.)

Should be as simple as just syncing an IMAP/POP account.

kai3345 said:
Hey GAF,
My parents have recently gotten a new computer and they wish to transfer their email from the old computer (which is probably riddled with viruses and trojans and the like). They're not using Gmail or anything like that, they're using their Outlook Express account.

Anyway they've hired me to transfer their email over to the new computer, the only problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone help me?

It is still an internet email? Is it just a hotmail account? You just reenter the email address into the email client... The new one is called windows live mail that replace outlook express.

Archive the email in OE into a PST file and put it on a thumb drive. Open Outlook on the new computer, and open the PST. It's all menu driven through OE, but I'm sure you could find it by looking through the menu.

kai3345

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It is still an internet email? Is it just a hotmail account? You just reenter the email address into the email client... The new one is called windows live mail that replace outlook express.
the email is @austin.rr.com

I'm guessing the RR is Road Runner?

kai3345 said:
the email is @austin.rr.com

I'm guessing the RR is Road Runner?

Probably, I'm assuming that's their provider? How much do you want to transfer? Like is there calender stuff they setup in the email or just straight up email? If it's just email it should have synced all this time with their email so you just have to reenter the email info with the wizard that pops up after you install windows live mail.

kai3345

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Probably, I'm assuming that's their provider? How much do you want to transfer? Like is there calender stuff they setup in the email or just straight up email? If it's just email it should have synced all this time with their email so you just have to reenter the email info with the wizard that pops up after you install windows live mail.
They said they want to keep their Inbox of emails and stuff, so I guess I'm going to have to plug the old computer back up and put it all in a pst like Chocobo said and transfer it over?

kai3345 said:
They said they want to keep their Inbox of emails and stuff, so I guess I'm going to have to plug the old computer back up and put it all in a pst like Chocobo said and transfer it over?
You shouldn't, if it's just emails then it has to link with the server for the roadrunner email so it should all be saved. You can try just adding the account to the new computer and then just removing it if stuff is missing and moving over the .pst file. Save you a lot of headache if they're just typing emails.

kai3345

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You shouldn't, if it's just emails then it has to link with the server for the roadrunner email so it should all be saved. You can try just adding the account to the new computer and then just removing it if stuff is missing and moving over the .pst file. Save you a lot of headache if they're just typing emails.
How would I do that? I went to Outlook 07 on the new comp, and I clicked Import and Export, but it looks like that only imports from the same computer

kai3345 said:
How would I do that? I went to Outlook 07 on the new comp, and I clicked Import and Export, but it looks like that only imports from the same computer
There's not prompt to add a new email? You wouldn't be importing you would be adding an account to outlook. Do you have another email already in? It should have Outlook 2007 startup when you start it up with no email.

kai3345

Banned
Almighty_Chocobo said:
tools>options>data files. Iirc..
I did that, Add New Email

But I put in all of the account's info except for Incoming and Outgoing mail server and I left Account type at default because I had no idea what those were.

I went to detect my account and it couldn't find it.
V7Glk.png

kai3345 said:
I did that, Add New Email

But I put in all of the account's info except for Incoming and Outgoing mail server and I left Account type at default because I had no idea what those were.

I went to detect my account and it couldn't find it.
V7Glk.png

It won't automatically detect your account. You need to find the incoming and outgoing addresses for Road Runner's mail server. You can probably find them on Google.

Edit:

Texas (Austin)
incoming mail server: pop-server.austin.rr.com
outgoing mail server: smtp-server.austin.rr.com

kai3345

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You have to input the mail server addresses. You can get that information from the old computer or contact your internet provider for the info.

http://www.sc.rr.com/rrhelp/email.htm

Try the outgoing and incoming from that site.
Ok got that and I got a "Congrats you have made a new account" screen. Now is there any way I can transfer the emails from their Inbox on the old computer over to this new one?

kai3345 said:
Ok got that and I got a "Congrats you have made a new account" screen. Now is there any way I can transfer the emails from their Inbox on the old computer over to this new one?

You try send and receive at the top? If that doesn't bring the emails then you will need the .PST file.

kai3345 said:

Did you use Road Runner's South Carolina email server for your Austin email address?

kai3345

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You try send and receive at the top? If that doesn't bring the emails then you will need the .PST file.
Lol shit. Duh.

Well that worked. Thanks both of you for your help and putting up with my stupidity when it comes to stuff like this :D

Major bro-rep to both of you.

kai3345

Banned
Almighty_Chocobo said:
Did you use Road Runner's South Carolina email server for your Austin email address?
No I quoted his post before he edited it, I googled for the Austin ones and used those

Almighty_Chocobo said:

Whoops that's my bad, you should change the server info.

kai3345 said:
No I quoted his post before he edited it, I googled for the Austin ones and used those

Ah, cool. I missed that it said south carolina when I posted the link.

kai3345

Banned
Well, fuck.

All of my emails transferred over, but now about every 5 minutes a screen pops up prompting me to put in my username and password. I'll check the "Remember me" box but it will still pop up.

kai3345 said:
Well, fuck.

All of my emails transferred over, but now about every 5 minutes a screen pops up prompting me to put in my username and password. I'll check the "Remember me" box but it will still pop up.

You didn't tick the box that says require login SPA in the screenshot posted did you?

Vyer

If the email came in but you are getting prompted it's likely a problem with the outgoing server. Either RR in your area uses a different server, a different port, or something.

Vyer said:
If the email came in but you are getting prompted it's likely a problem with the outgoing server. Either RR in your area uses a different server, a different port, or something.

Actually, I believe there is an option somewhere in the account settings to disable authentication for the outgoing server. Try looking at the account settings where you set it up in the first place. May be under Server settings or something..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom