• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TECHRADAR (on XBSX): Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

Ten_Fold

Microsoft got a 40m base on the Xbox one. Sure it’s not 100+m that Sony has with the ps4, but they would but stupid it ignore that base. Just like this gen and last gen, we will see a lot of cross gen games for about 2 years, till the overall base hits about 15-20m or more.

INC

And many of the games shown were impressive. To say the opposite is simply lying. Bright Memory Infinite is technically impressive, no matter what we may think of it overall. Is it an X factor? No and neither was Shadowfall.

Shadowfall was a first party game, showcasing the console, MS doesnt have any first party games to show case the extra teraflops, just 3rd party pc trailers

Theres a difference

pawel86ck

Banned
The generational gap was clear in 2013, at least as clear as it was between PS2 and PS360... You can't mistake a ps4 game for a ps3 game.
The graphics gap between PS3 vs PS4 was there. but I would never compare it to PS2 vs PS3.

GTA San Andreas build with PS2 running on PC vs GTA 5 PS3/x360
eKiPaM6.jpg

PS3 / PS4 version

Screenshot-2014-06-13-09.12.14.png

nHldKHa.jpg

Graphics improvement was there on PS4 (especially in certain places with vegetation), but it was more like PS3.5 IMHO. There were even cryengine 3 games running on PS3.

And now lets look at Xbox One vs XSX

large.jpg

3664198-491495eaa1d608140e6.78434262-acv_iconicengland_evening_female.jpg

120fps? Orphan is running in all it's 4K 120fps glory but graphics fidelity isnt impressive.

4k-120fps-game-xbox-series-x.jpg

Last edited:

NT80

They've already showed off the new machine with Hellblade 2. Not every game will look like that but we had a taste of what the machine can do.
And before anyone says it wasn't gameplay, neither was Sony's first Driveclub demo. And I don't remember too many complaints about it, even when the actual game came out downgraded.
We don't know what Hellblade 2 will actually look like in game yet or when it'll come out. Xone had Ryse and PS4 had Shadowfall and shortly after Infamous Second Son.

Dory16

Banned
Ryse is not a 1st party title, nor is

Sure, many do, but not all need for speed on yhe ps4

PC_001.bmp.jpg

or games that barely work in their previous gen versions like battlefield 4

maxresdefault.jpg

It exists on the ps360, but this is not the same thing.
Man I lived through the launch of those consoles. It wasn't impressive. A lot of people was disappointed by the weak jaguar cpus that didn't make 60 fps even remotely possible except in very few games. We're speaking of 120 fps in launch titles now. What is mitigating the gap is the mid-gen refreshes that have already made 4k frequent in console games. Now we're mainly speaking about ultra settings and 60 fps. That's the jump.

Journey

Banned
He does have a point about focusing too much on "cross-gen" games though.

The Witcher 3 could've looked current gen had it not been on the Nintendo Switch. Damn the Nintendo Switch, looking at The Witcher 3 on Xbox One X and high end PC, I just knew something was missing and it all makes sense now.

The Alien

Banned
Disappointed by Xbox's gameplay showcase? Join the club. Regardless, the article is bullshit.

I was expecting less from a game jouranlist website...but they continually underdeliver. 🤪

NT80

The Witcher 3 could've looked current gen had it not been on the Nintendo Switch. Damn the Nintendo Switch, looking at The Witcher 3 on Xbox One X and high end PC, I just knew something was missing and it all makes sense now.

Although it had nothing to do with the Switch The Witcher 3 did get downgraded from when they first revealed the game and consoles had something to do with that.

INC

Nice goal post move

How?

We were talking release titles, hellblade is not a release title.

Isn't he moving the goal posts by comparing a release title, to a title that's had extra time in development

Last edited:

vkbest

Microsoft is intelligent here, new consoles will have to deal issues with distribution, production and economical recession because coronavirus. Sony probably will lose money with PS5 launch exclusives, and I don’t think they will sell more units because it

more people will buy this new consoles for playing cross gen games with better framerate and graphics than exclusive games

Last edited:

Zannrebel

How?

We were talking release titles, hellblade is not a release title.

Isn't he moving the goal posts by comparing a release title, to a title that's had extra time in development
Nah, you said "MS doesnt have any first party games to show case the extra teraflops" Hellbade 2 proved you wrong. You didn't mention launch titles.

Last edited:

INC

Shadowfall was brought up as a showcase for the new consoles, to demo their potential.
Shadowfall is a release game

Hellblade was used as a comparison, 'hellblade says you're wrong'

hellblade isnt it a release game, therefore not a showcase for the console potential (like ryse did for the Xbox), and that's still a trailer, shadowfall was a full game at release.

See the difference, or am I moving the goal posts still

Last edited:
Top Bottom