• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Cruz is drafting legislation to strip FCC's ability to write net neutrality rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. The news is from two days ago, but I couldn't find a thread.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is looking to strip the Federal Communications Commission of its ability to write new net neutrality rules.

The senator is currently circulating draft legislation that would undercut the commission’s legal authority to write new regulations governing the way that Internet service providers treat different streams of traffic online.

Cruz “has serious concerns about the course the FCC is pursuing on net neutrality and on the questionable authority on which it’s relying,” spokeswoman Catherine Frazier said in an email to The Hill. “He is exploring legislative options to preserve the freedom of the Internet to remain an engine for jobs, growth and opportunity, and we have been in touch with other offices to that end.”

A federal appeals court earlier this year ruled that the FCC’s existing net neutrality rules were not justified under current law. At the same time, the court opened the door for the commission to write new rules under Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act, which gives it the power to encourage and regulate broadband infrastructure.

A draft version of Cruz’s bill obtained by The Hill would eliminate from current law provisions that allow the FCC to “promote competition in the local telecommunications market” and remove “barriers to infrastructure investment.”

Instead, the law would be changed to focus on “pursuing regulatory forbearance.”

The effort comes as the FCC is considering a controversial proposal that would ensure Internet service providers allow a baseline level of access to all websites but also permit deals with certain companies to boost their users’ Web speeds.

The proposal from FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler has come under fire from lawmakers and critics on both sides of the aisle. While Democrats have worried that it would create a “two-tiered” Internet with different levels of service, Republicans object to the notion of government intrusion on the Web.

On Tuesday evening, Sens. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) and Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said that Congress, not the FCC, should take the lead on regulating the Web.

“The FCC should respect its regulatory limits and Congress should do its job to address these concerns,” the two said in a joint statement. “In the meantime, any policy adopted by the FCC should continue to respect the ‘light touch’ regime that has led to industry investment and a thriving Internet ecosystem.”

In addition to the Section 706 authority, Wheeler is also considering reclassifying the Internet so that it could be regulated like a telephone company.

Reclassifying broadband service would be a radical step and congressional Republicans on Tuesday sent letters warning the commission not to go that far.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and other GOP Senate leaders told Wheeler in a letter that reclassifying broadband Internet would “create tremendous legal and marketplace uncertainty and would undermine your ability to effectively lead the FCC.”

Republican leaders of the House Energy and Commerce Committee issued a similar warning in a separate letter.

Cruz statement:

"The FCC's latest adventure in 'net neutrality' would stifle innovation and subject the Internet to nanny-state regulation from Washington. Internet freedom has produced robust free speech for billions and a wide-open incubator for entrepreneurs to generate jobs and expand opportunity. A 5-member panel at the FCC should not be dictating how Internet services will be provided to millions of Americans. I will be introducing legislation that would remove the claimed authority for the FCC to take such actions, specifically the Commission's nebulous Sec. 706 authority. More than $1 trillion has already been invested in broadband infrastructure, which has led to an explosion of new content, applications, and Internet accessibility. Congress, not an unelected commission, should take the lead on modernizing our telecommunications laws. The FCC should not endanger future investments by stifling growth in the online sector, which remains a much-needed bright spot in our struggling economy."

Cyan

Banned
He is exploring legislative options to preserve the freedom of the Internet...
Ugh, this kind of legislative double-speak is so damn irritating. Like, obviously you aren't going to just come right out and admit that you want to kill net neutrality and ruin the internet, but come the fuck on.

Paches

Like they fucking innovate anyways

I think they are referring to companies innovating, not the FCC innovating.

Edit: A further commentary on his statement, it reads pretty much like he would rather be the one receiving the checks from the telecom lobby so he can vote whichever way the wind blows.

akira28

so was this the plan all along? Buffalo the FCC into making a set of bad decisions, make it a looming threat, then kill net neutrality reform or put it on hold indefinitely, while corporations outmaneuver the unchanged rules?

Deku Tree

Tea Party legislators again drafting pointless legislation that has no chance of ever passing.
I say keep pushing even harder, Tea Party.
Hopefully the rest of the country will wake up to your extreme radicalism as a result...

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Well the fcc is terrible so that'd be great if something else was put up to place in the "old" rules which doesn't seem to be the case.

WedgeX

Banned
A 5-member panel at the FCC should not be dictating how Internet services will be provided to millions of Americans

Yep, five independent commissioners sure is worse than three companies.

Like they fucking innovate anyways

I think the "innovations" that are being referred to are future start up companies that won't be able to thrive under such conditions.

Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc etc wouldn't be as popular as it is today if it were created under such rules because the traffic to those sites would be throttled in favor of Yahoo, msn, etc etc.

Eusis

Sometimes I wish the rest of the nation could vote to remove politicians in other parts of the country with the caveat they HAVE to actually have an effect on the national stage.

Of course, I imagine in this possible scenario a lot of people wouldn't actually vote to kick him out and it's easily a double edged sword anyway, but man fuck that guy.

sangreal

Ted Cruz in stopped clock mode.

You're suggesting that he is right? That net neutrality means regulating the internet (as opposed to providers)? Or do you think he is doing this because he opposes the proposed rule to legitimize the already-legal "fast lane"?

jtb

Banned
can someone just tell me if this is good or bad for net neutrality. the title confuses me (not the titles fault, my fault for not knowing the context)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
can someone just tell me if this is good or bad for net neutrality. the title confuses me (not the titles fault, my fault for not knowing the context)

It's bad.

The way to preserve net neutrality is simply by legalizing the previous stance on the issue before the Supreme Court threw it down.

Now you will have congress regulating the internet instead of the FCC and we know how much better that's going to be.

Blader

It's mostly bad and a little good but essentially boils down to bad being framed as good.

The good is that this would kill the FCC's recent proposal that suggests allowing internet fast lanes, a two-tiered system, etc. The bad is that it kills the FCC's ability to regulate at all, and with net neutrality already slated to end in 2017, that would mean ISPs will have free reign in three years and FCC would be toothless to do anything about it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Ted Cruz is bad for net neutrality, but then again, so is the FCC.

linkboy

If Ted Cruz is behind something, its probably a bad thing.

Removing the FCC's ability regulate broadband companies will basically give those companies free reign to do whatever the fuck they want. I'm willing to bet that all the cable companies will be in full support of this bill and Cruz's bank account got a little bigger as a result of him proposing this.

The only reason Cruz is drafting this is because Wheeler was appointed by the president and the Tea Party hates everything the president does with seething passion. He doesn't care about the freedom of the internet, all he cares about is scoring victory points against the president.

If the FCC can tell folks how the internet is run does that mean every one who uses Blogger will have to apply for a FCC license now?

sangreal

If the FCC can tell folks how the internet is run does that mean every one who uses Blogger will have to apply for a FCC license now?

No, because the FCC has nothing to do with the content on the internet. The question is whether they can regulate internet providers -- that is the power Cruz wants to remove, so that the FCC can't reclassify ISPs as common carriers.

No, because the FCC has nothing to do with the content on the internet. The question is whether they can regulate internet providers -- that is the power Cruz wants to remove, so they can't reclassify them as common carriers.

I know sarcasm is hard to convey on the internets /s. I personally think tech has surpassed the FCC mandate. ISP's are not broadcasting broadband over the air. I know cellphones have to meet FCC frequency requirements but do cell companies have to have a broadcast license?

linkboy

This seems a weird way to go about it...

Not really, it actually fits their beliefs perfectly (no government).

Under Cruz's "plan", there would be no regulation. ISP's would be able to do whatever the fuck they want, because that's the "free market" at work.

Wheeler's plan, while fucking stupid, still at least gives the illusion that the government still regulate the internet (let's face it, we all know the FCC won't do shit).

You really want to see the internet go to shit, let Cruz's plan get approved. Since there wouldn't be any regulation (Congress won't waste their time with the internet, they've got more important things to deal with, like trying to repeal the Affordable Health Care Act for the 17,000 time or Benghazi), Comcast could tell Netflix that they won't allow them to stream over their network. Who's going to tell them otherwise, that was the FCC's job.

The Internet and its providers need to be regulated like utility companies if this is going to pass as currently constructed. Then, it might suck less.

ramuh

The FCC is doing a fine job not enforcing net neutrality without Ted Cruz

Haha. Ya true.

To me regulation of any industry has to find a balance. Too much regulation can lead to lack of investments and innovation, or too little can lead to exploitation and corruption.

Madness

So where does Ted Cruz stand on this? Which is the better option? I don't follow this guy much. Ashamed to say he's Canadian, I didn't know people not born on US soil could be presidential hopefuls.

Slavik81

Haha. Ya true.

To me regulation of any industry has to find a balance. Too much regulation can lead to lack of investments and innovation, or too little can lead to exploitation and corruption.
I agree, but let's be clear about where we are right now. Investment is already down because US internet companies are finding it more profitable to abuse their regional monopolies than to improve their services. They have so little competition that they do not need to provide good service.

You need carefully designed regulation to ensure they don't abuse their natural monopoly. These guys are basically utilities and should be treated as such.

linkboy

So where does Ted Cruz stand on this? Which is the better option? I don't follow this guy much. Ashamed to say he's Canadian, I didn't know people not born on US soil could be presidential hopefuls.

His mother is a natural US citizen, so he's a natural US citizen because of that, which is why he (sadly) is eligible.

As for his stance, he thinks the FCC shouldn't regulate the internet, but that the free market should self-regulate it (pretty much let Comcast and their buddies call the shots in the name of free enterprise).

However, let's not kid ourselves as to why he's wasting all of our time with this (it won't make it past the senate). Tom Wheeler was appointed by President Obama and is a Democrat. Cruz and the rest of his ilk can't stand the Democrats.

He's not doing it for the good of the internet, he's doing it score political points with his base

Volimar

Ugh, this kind of legislative double-speak is so damn irritating. Like, obviously you aren't going to just come right out and admit that you want to kill net neutrality and ruin the internet, but come the fuck on.

qLV6Paa.jpg

linkboy

if this goes through United States of Corporation wins again

If Wheeler's plan goes through, the United States of Corporation will win as well.

The only way to keep that from happening is for them to be classified as Common Carriers, which will only happen if there is enough public outcry and even that might not be enough.

This is just a trojan horse for this line:

A draft version of Cruz’s bill obtained by The Hill would eliminate from current law provisions that allow the FCC to “promote competition in the local telecommunications market”

I doubt he cares about net neutrality

Anion

I feel like everyone is a liar
His mother is a natural US citizen, so he's a natural US citizen because of that, which is why he (sadly) is eligible.

As for his stance, he thinks the FCC shouldn't regulate the internet, but that the free market should self-regulate it (pretty much let Comcast and their buddies call the shots in the name of free enterprise).

However, let's not kid ourselves as to why he's wasting all of our time with this (it won't make it past the senate). Tom Wheeler was appointed by President Obama and is a Democrat. Cruz and the rest of his ilk can't stand the Democrats.

He's not doing it for the good of the internet, he's doing it score political points with his base
Ah makes sense.
F this Cruz guy and the FCC

Madness

I hate that shit. They know perfectly well the "free market" would never want this. I also did not know that all you needed was a born in US parent to be President. Then it would have made no difference if Obama was born in Kenya and yet these pricks brought it up as if it was a illegal scandal. Such hypocrisy. Obama being born in Hawaii and part of the US is an uproar, but Cruz being born in Canada can be overlooked.

So all this time I thought you had to be born within the boundaries of the US or US territory to be considered President, I was always mistaken.

They are all trying to line their pockets and some of them are stupid as well (see Ted Cruz). Fuck all these damn assholes. Someone needs to drop a nuke on these asshats for we'd be better off without the lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom