• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ted Cruz is drafting legislation to strip FCC's ability to write net neutrality rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
qLV6Paa.jpg

wat

The FCC's proposed rules are impressive in that they have managed to successfully piss everyone off.

Though in Cruz's case it's still probably the Obama being president thing that's the driver. Just 2 more years, Ted! You can make it!

linkboy

The FCC's proposed rules are impressive in that they have managed to successfully piss everyone off.

Though in Cruz's case it's still probably the Obama being president thing that's the driver. Just 2 more years, Ted! You can make it!

Not probably, is.

The man's entire political career is based off of hating President Obama. I'm willing to be if he gets a hangnail, it's the president's fault.

Drakeon

Ted Cruz seeks attention, news at 11.

And of course he wants them to "self-regulate", as if they would do such a thing.

alstein

the right wants no regulation period (except to ban government from doing it better themselves) , the left wants full regulation under title II.

I got a feeling this is going to end up an issue where we have to make noise in 2016 (too late for 2014), and that means going after Hillary over this.

For now: this is our best bet http://consumerist.com/2014/05/15/h...think-about-the-proposed-net-neutrality-rule/ though I'm skeptical- hearing some in the FCC at the lower levels are on the side of the public, but who knows how much they can do.

At this point, I'd rather see the Republicans win and screw things up, then have another appeasing Dem like Obama who golfs with Comcast's CEO. It's time to insist on progressives.

linkboy

the right wants no regulation period (except to ban government from doing it better themselves) , the left wants full regulation under title II.

I got a feeling this is going to end up an issue where we have to make noise in 2016 (too late for 2014), and that means going after Hillary over this.

Even if Hillary gets into office, the Republicans are still going to do the same thing they've been doing. The only thing that will change will be that Hillary is a Democrat and a women, not a democrat and a black man (not being racist, but that's how a lot of hardcore conservatives view the president).

Nothing's going to change for them until the person in the White House has a little R next to his name.

Waiting until 2016 might be to late, once Comcast and their buddies get that power, it's going to be damn near impossible to wrestle it away from them.

alstein

I'm sick of this defeatist attitude. Sometimes you gotta be willing to tar and feather folks to make shit happen.

If there was some online pledge form: I'd love to create one just to create a pledge for registered Democrats to state they will not vote at all, even in the general election, for any Democrat who won't insist on title II for the internet and to overrule state bans on municipal broadband.

May not do much, but if 100,000 folks signed it, it would probably make some folks give pause, and might embolden some more progressive Dems to do something about it.

This becomes a political issue if we show we're willing to let a Dem lose over it, and at this point I am. They need to stop taking our votes for granted.

I'm actually considering a run for the state legislature in two years ,even if GAF will be used against me (sure of it, I'm way too left for my state)

danwarb

Doing the right thing in the wrong way

I'm pretty sure this would be the wrong thing, and far worse for net neutrality than what the FCC is already doing. It's the worst case scenario.

I'm also pretty sure that the proposed FCC rules would improve on the situation we have now (with ISPs already throttling/threatening businesses), but they make too many compromises. You know it would only get worse.

10 bucks says they try to tie this with "job creation".

*edit* just read it. God damnit.

What bugs me the most about shit like this is half the people on congress probably don't even go on the internet. They're still operating like this is the 60s. It's really difficult to think any of these people have our best interests in mind when they're really just playing political theater with anything that Obama has anything to do with.

Link

The Autumn Wind
At this point, I'd rather see the Republicans win and screw things up, then have another appeasing Dem like Obama who golfs with Comcast's CEO. It's time to insist on progressives.
This is the stupidest logic I've read in a while, and I just read a Ted Cruz proposal.

Do people just not like Cruz because he's from Texas?

The FCC is basically controlled by older CEOs/chairman/executive of cable/internet companies that obviously have some motive/agenda on net neutrality.

I'm actually with Cruz on this one. F the FCC

danwarb

The FCC is basically controlled by older CEOs/chairman/executive of cable/internet companies that obviously have some motive/agenda on net neutrality.

If you're with Ted Cruz you're actually against net neutrality, not just the half assed compromised net neutrality the FCC is proposing.

sangreal

If you think that is why people hate Cruz, you're probably not in a position to be commenting on political issues. Please bear in mind that Cruz is not trying to fix the problems with FCC regulation -- he wants to eliminate it so providers can do whatever they want.

I could not care less where Cruz is from (Canada), but I do care that he plays games with national interests because he wants to run for President. For example, he led the cause to stop paying "non-essential" Government employees and close their offices/parks until the Affordable Care Act was repealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom