• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen dies after being unable to exit locked car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Given how retarded most people are at the mall, in a restaurant or on the highway, I should not be surprised at how many people are jumping in to blame the brother.

TheRedMan

Banned
I'm basing this on my own high school experience...

Some people may have parked like ten minutes after them?
Some people may not have class at the same time, (eg they could be off first period) so they may arrive later or leave early?
Some people may leave school in their cars at lunch?
Some people may hang out by their cars when they have breaks?

And cars are not so soundproof that people can't hear someone knocking/banging on a window.
You're underestimating how quickly you can get fatigued from dehydration in a boiling hot car when you're fighting for your life to break out of it. There really isn't a large window of time from her waking up, struggling to get out, and eventually passing out from dehydration. And when she did pass out, it was in the back seat so people walking by wouldn't have seen her, not to mention the car's windows are tinted.

Given how retarded most people are at the mall, in a restaurant or on the highway, I should not be surprised at how many people are jumping in to blame the brother.

It's just a freakish accident. Even if you leave someone in the car you don't assume they will die, especially when it wasnt that especially hot on that day.

big_z

Awful story. Find it odd that she wasn't able to crack the glass though. My sister broke a window in our apartment easily out of anger without intending to, I just assumed glass breaks easily.

Glass used for windows is extremely weak and easy to break. I broke a double pane window with a small nerf material ball. I think it's odd home glass is made so weak. It also razer sharp. Car widows are stronger to avoid breaking during lower speed collisions or random rocks. It also breaks in a way that greatly reduces the chance of cutting you.

If car windows were made from house window glass it would likely be the leading cause of vehicle deaths.

netBuff

If they broke the window, couldn't they just push the Unlock button?
Or, if they were really determined, just knock all the glass out and climb through the window.

I don't know, I've just never seen a car where its front doors did that. But then, I'm not exactly an automobile connoisseur.

Sounds like child lock to me.

The unlock button doesn't work in these cases (locked from the outside via remote) no matter how often you push/pull it, has nothing to do with child safety locks. If you've never seen a car displaying that behaviour, you probably haven't tried all that many. It's very common.

Quite a lot, car glass is mighty strong, a grown man could punch through but will break a few bones trying.

Using your legs and kicking through (heel first) + adrenaline = escape.

Seems like she probably died while asleep, though, so she couldn't really have done that. It's too bad a freak occurrence like this took place.

Jedi2016

And one more reason why I keep one of those quick-escape emergency tools in the car. Bye-bye window.

That, and my car has manual windows and locks, so it's not really an issue, but still.

netBuff

And one more reason why I keep one of those quick-escape emergency tools in the car. Bye-bye window.

That, and my car has manual windows and locks, so it's not really an issue, but still.

I think these kinds of electronic doors and windows that won't open when closed from the outside are terrible - people are forgetful and accidentally lock other people in all the time. Car manufacturers really should allow doors to be opened at all times.

An emergency hammer is a very essential tool in today's automobile world, even with regular use the electronics might malfunction.

The unlock button doesn't work in these cases (locked from the outside via remote) no matter how often you push/pull it, has nothing to do with child safety locks. If you've never seen a car displaying that behaviour, you probably haven't tried all that many. It's very common.

I've had this feature on most of my cars. It's unfortunately in this case, called Deadlock. It's to prevent someone from smashing the window and simply opening the door. You can usually set it with an extra press of the lock button on the remote.

oatmeal

Banned
Entered thinking this would reflect poorly on the teen...but that sounds awful.

As I read, I was like "Yeah but..." and then see that that wouldn't have worked.

Seriously crazy.

Persona7

Banned
Y46kV9Q.jpg

Is the gatorade some kind of sick joke?

Some cultures will leave items that the deceased enjoyed at the altar. Things like drinks, candy, sweets, pastries.

They also will have items that the person enjoyed for the people who are visiting to take.

Why is he an idiot?

He locked her sister in his car and walked away an entire day.

It's not like she locked herself up by herself.

Unless I misunderstood how it all went.

Before blaming the car's design, we should blame who is really responsible here.

And even then, it's just an incredibly unfortunate series of events.

slit

Nope. Watch the videos.

Which video? The video on the first page didn't show anyone using their legs and even if it did I'm sure it's a reenactment so it's not exactly the same thing.

Before blaming the car's design, we should blame who is really responsible here.

You just made a complete leap there. It doesn't say he locked the doors and even if he did, he may not have known it wouldn't open for her.

netBuff

I thought most back seats still open up to the trunk and that newer cars had those safety pulls to open up trunks?

This is actually a viable (but obscure) method of escaping with most cars.

Is the gatorade some kind of sick joke?

There is no set way for "correct" grieving. She probably enjoyed Gatorarde very much and they are paying tribute to her personality this way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Which video? The video on the first page didn't show anyone using their legs and even if it did I'm sure it's a reenactment so it's not exactly the same thing.
Grown man couldn't do it until he was thought where exactly to kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuZgSQZJ9g&t=2m5s

I'd imagine a 14yo girl might have not been all that strong in the first place.

Fantastic advice in this thread with the headrest jamming into the window slit, I had no idea about that.

Desi

BMW have been using power windows since the 80's so she would have had to bash through. I have a e34 ('94) and it still confuses folks that you have to pull the handle twice to open the door if it is locked. The issue with her brothers car (maybe a e46) seems to be a mechanical failure as my friend owns a m3 from that era and I never read about it on any bimmer forums but I may be wrong.

slit

Grown man couldn't do it until he was thought where exactly to kick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZuZgSQZJ9g&t=2m5s

I'd imagine a 14yo girl might have not been all that strong in the first place.

Fantastic advice in this thread with the headrest jamming into the window slit, I had no idea about that.

Well sorry that video doesn't load for me but it's still just a reenactment, when your life is on the line it's different but it doesn't say how long she had been sleeping so don't know what her strength level was although the mother said she was completely healthy girl.

Maybe she was afraid of getting in trouble for breaking a window so she didnt do it and just thought she would wait untill some one opens the car for her?

knkng

Well sorry that video doesn't load for me but it's still just a reenactment, when your life is on the line it's different but it doesn't say how long she had been sleeping so don't know what her strength level was although the mother said she was completely healthy.

I know it's from a movie, but here's Ryan Dunn (a full grown man) legitimately kicking the shit out of a car window. He seems closer to breaking the door off the hinge than breaking the window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t9mKbSMcILY#t=50s

On that note, most cars have back seats that go down and give you access to the trunk. If I was her I would have tried getting into the trunk and looking for an inside safety release.

bremon

Yup. Kick the edge of the window and feel as though your life is in jeopardy to the point where adrenaline starts pumping. I watched the videos. Doesn't change anything.
Well, she was a 14 year old girl. If she was conscious and struggled with it, I'm not sure adrenaline would be enough, especially if said girl was panicking. 14 year old girls aren't the model of muscular strength. I doubt most people would even know to kick at the corner instead of the middle. Luckily, if you should ever find yourself in this position, you'll know how to react.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
On that note, most cars have back seats that go down and give you access to the trunk. If I was her I would have tried getting into the trunk and looking for an inside safety release.
I don't think most people even know about that trunk safety release, especially unless they're more experienced drivers/car owners. I certainly had no clue about it when I was 14. I was just reading that it was only mandatory on US cars after the year 2002, so this car may not even have it.

Well, she was a 14 year old girl. If she was conscious and struggled with it, I'm not sure adrenaline would be enough, especially if said girl was panicking. 14 year old girls aren't the model of muscular strength. I doubt most people would even know to kick at the corner instead of the middle. Luckily, if you should ever find yourself in this position, you'll know how to react.

For sure. I was just speaking generally about how to get out of a situation like that. A 14 year-old boy OR girl amped on adrenaline could certainly break a car window unless they were unnaturally frail, but it's probable this girl wasn't really aware how much danger she was actually in so her adrenal glands probably wouldn't have pumped that Superman kool aid at all. Thing is, if tried and failed to break through, she probably gave up too early and thus didn't push her mind/body to those limits. That's understandable, though. I'm sure plenty of people young and old would give up on that plan of escape if it didn't work the first few times.

some cars autolock after X number of minutes ( X = depends on make of car). mine does this

if she fell asleep and didn't use the doors for a while they might have locked on their own

mrmickfran

I saw a tip where you can easily break car windows with the spikes at the bottom of a detachable headrest

Yup, we were already having a discussion about it:

Tragic, but there is an easy way to break car windows from the inside even if you're not particularly strong and have no tools. If you have standard head rests that can be removed, wedge one prong of the headrest firmly in the seam between the window and the door and then begin to pull hard. You should be able to shatter the glass. Here's a tiny Japanese woman doing the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZTa8Nh0VlE

bremon

For sure. I was just speaking generally about how to get out of a situation like that. A 14 year-old boy OR girl amped on adrenaline could certainly break a car window unless they were unnaturally frail, but it's probable this girl wasn't really aware how much danger she was actually in so her adrenal glands probably wouldn't have pumped that Superman kool aid at all. Thing is, if tried and failed to break through, she probably gave up too early and thus didn't push her mind/body to those limits. That's understandable, though. I'm sure plenty of people young and old would give up on that plan of escape if it didn't work the first few times.
Yeah, I can see your point. Adrenaline lets people do pretty crazy things. Though, if you're at the point of heat exhaustion, or, as you said, don't realize the extent of the danger you're in, you're definitely in trouble.

ascii42

Better than dying How about kicking? If she had shoes with thick soles like boots or platforms, she could kick them. And she was on the back seat so there was more room.

Also that's an old car, should the windows roll down by a mechanical device? Why nobody see her asking for help?

I'm guessing when she woke up, she was so dehydrated she could barely more or speak, it's the only explanation.

Old car? Power windows have been around since the 40s (took a couple decades for them to become common though).

gdt

My BMW only has one button to unlock all the doors, in the center console. I have no idea what the car is like when its locked and the alarm is active..... I'll try it out tomorrow

Horrible story.

GRIP

I'm basing this on my own high school experience...

Some people may have parked like ten minutes after them?
Some people may not have class at the same time, (eg they could be off first period) so they may arrive later or leave early?
Some people may leave school in their cars at lunch?
Some people may hang out by their cars when they have breaks?

And cars are not so soundproof that people can't hear someone knocking/banging on a window.

1) I think it says that her classes didn't start until an hour after she had arrived and wanted to sleep a little longer, so showing up ten minutes later wouldn't have done a whole lot to prevent this.

2) Even if people have different class times, they usually don't leave the school to go to their cars.

3) A lot of schools do not allow students to leave school property once they are there. Again, this goes back to the whole, "no reason others would go to their cars during the school day".

4) Most high schools don't have breaks between classes that would give students enough time to just chill in the parking lot. You usually get a few minutes to get your stuff together before you have to go to your next class. It's not like college where you might have a class at 9am and then have another at 1pm.

I don't really see why this is so baffling to some here as to why there was no one around to help her.

Also, it probably wasn't all that hot out in the morning when she decided to stay in the car. Obviously she didn't expect to be trapped so the windows being up and the doors locked doesn't seem all that weird to me. Just a really freak and tragic accident.

Jesus Christ, there is nothing wrong with locking a 14 year old girl in a car. In literally every other situation besides a car being defective the girl could walk out of the car anytime she wanted to.

Literally the only people to blame are the ones that made the car. They're the ones responsible.

Despera

Banned
What kind of idiotic design choice is this?
I have a '06 Holden Lumina, and locking the car goes like this...

Clicking the lock button one the remote once: doors are locked, but can still be opened from the inside.

Clicking twice: doors are locked, and the locks won't budge unless I unlock with the car keys.

strata8

I have a '06 Holden Lumina, and locking the car goes like this...

Clicking the lock button one the remote once: doors are locked, but can still be opened from the inside.

Clicking twice: doors are locked, and the locks won't budge unless I unlock with the car keys.

That sounds silly. In what situation would you need the second option?

Despera

Banned
Well, my car has the same feature, which is why I'm extra cautious and always check if I'm leaving anyone behind.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Sounds like child lock to me.

Child lock doesn't work on the driver side, I think she would at least attempt to open from other doors. Unless she pass out in the middle due to exhaustion or some kind of security feature in the car that broke down.

tarheel91

Quite a lot, car glass is mighty strong, a grown man could punch through but will break a few bones trying.

The front windshield is attached via glue. Bonds like glue, while strong in shear, are extremely weak to pealing forces (like pushing the window out). I doesn't take much strength to kick a windshield out.

FyreWulff

Awful story. Find it odd that she wasn't able to crack the glass though. My sister broke a window in our apartment easily out of anger without intending to, I just assumed glass breaks easily.

The glass for house/apartment windows is not the same glass in car windows.

The front windshield is attached via glue. Bonds like glue, while strong in shear, are extremely weak to pealing forces (like pushing the window out). I doesn't take much strength to kick a windshield out.

It's like people are willingly ignoring the girl was inside a raging hot car. Everything from her strength to her cognition would have been severely hampered by the time she woke up.

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

car5.jpg

I don't know the details. But, in general, this is horror movie shit. The thought of being locked in a car, in broad daylight, in a public space, unable to escape and slowly succumbing to heat, dehydration, and exhaustion... holy fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom