• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three Dogs Die After Being Left In Hot Car During Heatwave

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In 2019, people are still this retarded. RIP to the puppies.

REMEMBER SINGLE CELL BRAINLETS, DO NOT LOCK YOUR DOGS IN THE CAR WHEN THE SHIT IS HOT OUT!

We smash car windows ourselves here in the dirty.

You would think everyone in the world would know by 2019 that you shouldn't leave dogs in hot cars, never mind dog owners. Yet, every year, defenceless pooches perish after being trapped in hot cars by their negligent owners.

Just yesterday (Sunday), three dogs were left to die in a car in the USA amid scorching heatwave temperatures.

4c9ceeb05d361bdf4b19d209f1591231.jpg

Police in Jamestown, Rhode Island, responded to reports of the dogs being found unresponsive in a car outside a grocery store at around 4pm.

The dogs were a grey Keeshond, a four-year-old black Labrador and a seven-month-old black Labrador.

Police said they were taken to an animal hospital but couldn't be revived. The force said they had been left in the vehicle for 'an extended period of time' with the windows rolled up, while the air conditioning didn't seem to be working - though it is unclear whether or not it malfunctioned.

The dogs' owner, 65-year-old Ann Garnett from Jamestown, has been charged with three counts of unnecessary cruelty to an animal and three counts of confinement of an animal in a motor vehicle.

Unnecessary animal cruelty is a felony charge that carries a potential penalty of five years in prison and a $1,000 (£801) fine for each count, while confinement is a misdemeanour, according to NBC Boston.

Police chief, Edward Mello, said the owner's decision to leave the dogs in the car for an extended period of time was 'clearly unacceptable'.

According to ABC15, he said: "The Jamestown Fire Department removed those dogs from the vehicle. They attempted to resuscitate them.

"[The dogs] were transported to the Newport Animal Hospital and a short time later they were determined to be deceased.

"I think any temperature, regardless of whether the air conditioner was on, the windows were down, to be in a vehicle for that extended period of time is clearly unacceptable."

94143c435d361bdf4b199825d0307267.jpg

Temperatures in Jamestown on Sunday reached a peak of 35C, though it felt as high as 43C.

Meanwhile, in the UK, temperatures could reach 37C this week. So people - PLEASE DON'T LEAVE YOUR DOG IN THE CAR.

You may not want to leave the window down to stop them getting out, but you can't just leave the air con on, because it could break and the consequences could be tragic.

It’s crazy that people are this stupid. If my dog is with me I leave the truck running with the remote start function. If you can’t do something like that don’t leave them in the car. Take them home.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I know that there are laws about being able to smash windows if you see kids or animals in a hot car, but I'm not sure what states don't consider it a crime.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know that there are laws about being able to smash windows if you see kids or animals in a hot car, but I'm not sure what states don't consider it a crime.

While 28 states have enacted laws that specifically prohibit leaving dogs in hot cars, most prohibit good Samaritans from taking measures to free a trapped dog. Only 11 states have granted legal right to citizens to use any means necessary (yes, that includes smashing a window) to save a distressed dog.

Those 11 states are: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Tennessee, Vermont, and Wisconsin.

Interestingly, while Indiana allows citizens to rescue dying dogs from hot cars, they are the only state that requires the person rescuing the dog to pay the vehicle owner or lessee an amount equal to half of the cost of damages incurred by the forced entry. (i.e.: half the cost of replacing a broken window)

People still do it in the south, regardless of the laws.

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah. this sort of thing is insane. Last year some trained police dogs died because the dude in charge didn't think to let them out of the van.

lock2k

Banned
This pisses me off to no end.

I think I would smash the window and the head of the owner...

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I like my dog quite a bit. I'd never leave her in a hot car. I'm not sure this should amount to a felony charge, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I like my dog quite a bit. I'd never leave her in a hot car. I'm not sure this should amount to a felony charge, though.

Would you second guess felony charges if it were a human child?

Also, all 50 states now have domestic animal cruelty felony charges.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is where a supremacy mindset is developed. Thinking you are above another, cause (inserts reasons they are lesser than you). I think they call it speciesism(?).

I would also not say any human. I would value an obedient and loyal dog's life over any pedo, rapist, murderer, etc..

Soltype

That is where a supremacy mindset is developed. Thinking you are above another, cause (inserts reasons they are lesser than you). I think they call it speciesism(?).

I would also not say any human. I would value an obedient and loyal dog's life over any pedo, rapist, murderer, etc..
It's just potential, human potential is greater than any other being on the planet, granted it is neither good or bad.

iconmaster

Banned

I don't think you really believe that even a criminal isn't of a higher order of being than a tsetse fly. I'm not sure from what premise you could arrive at a total human-animal equality anyway. Either you're an evolutionist, in which case some species are definitely "fitter" and superior to others; or you're a creationist and only one species bears the divine image.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's just potential, human potential is greater than any other being on the planet, granted it is neither good or bad.

Potentially to destroy every environment, ecosystem, etc., as we have, sure.

I don't think you really believe that even a criminal isn't of a higher order of being than a tsetse fly. I'm not sure from what premise you could arrive at a total human-animal equality anyway. Either you're an evolutionist, in which case some species are definitely "fitter" and superior to others; or you're a creationist and only one species bears the divine image.

We went from dogs to flies?

Yes, I feel humans, who have the ability to reason right from wrong and decide to act on those decisions to cause harm and death to fellow man, woman or child, are less than man's best friend, or most animals rather who still operate in the circle of balance without cognitive ill intent, instead of outside of it.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned

Well, I wonder how you're sorting all these species if flies aren't the same level as dogs and humans.

Yes, I feel humans, who have the ability to reason right from wrong and decide to act on those decisions to cause harm and death to fellow man, woman or child, are less than man's best friend, or most animals rather who still operate in the circle of balance without cognitive ill intent, instead of outside of it.

"Capacity for harm" would put a lot of animals lower on your list than you might like. Look at this sweet hippo!

tenor.gif

lock2k

Banned
I don't know or care about most people's stance in regards to humans and animals but I would kill if someone messed with my dog. She is family to me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, I wonder how you're sorting all these species if flies aren't the same level as dogs and humans.

"Capacity for harm" would put a lot of animals lower on your list than you might like. Look at this sweet hippo!

tenor.gif

I don't go out of my way to harm flies, if that is what you are asking.

giphy.gif

Patrick S.

Banned
Potentially to destroy every environment, ecosystem, etc., as we have, sure.

Ok, Agent Smith.

cryptoadam

Banned
Fuck these people.

You would think that you know dogs have fur coats would tip them off that maybe leaving dogs in excessive heat is not the smartest idea.

bronk

Banned
I keep A/C at a cool tempature for my cats at home when I'm working haha. A/C went out while I was at work and I was trippin big time. I get home and its only slightly warm......long story short id smash a window to let the doggos out and leg sweep that old hag of an owner for good measure.

Such a fucking cruel and stupid thing to do.

JBat

Child and animal abuse/neglect are two things guaranteed to make me see red. I can't imagine being that careless

Yesterday I was driving past a parked car on the highway and the door opened wide and stayed open. I had to change lanes in the knick of time. Old 70-something woman of course.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I keep A/C at a cool tempature for my cats at home when I'm working haha. A/C went out while I was at work and I was trippin big time. I get home and its only slightly warm.
Cats are usually not really susceptible to warmth as their body temperature averages at about 39 C, compared to the 36 C of a human. Unless you live in a small place without proper ventilation and the heat is buring down on it, like in the car story above, you usually don't need to climatize your apartment for cats. The air conditioning might even dry out their mucosa, and cats are notoriously bad in drinking.
Overall they prefer warmth over cold any day. Obviously, If you have the feeling the day is going to be a record summer day then slight air conditioning is better than taking a risk.

Tesseract

Banned
ya i keep the a/c on for my cat too, goddamn spoiled mudda fucka

tho he goes out a lot, killed a squirrel last night, ate that son of a bitch alive

Falcs

Banned
Every fucking year.
This happens with kids too, though I don't think as often.
How are people so fucking stupid?

bronk

Banned
Cats are usually not really susceptible to warmth as their body temperature averages at about 39 C, compared to the 36 C of a human. Unless you live in a small place without proper ventilation and the heat is buring down on it, like in the car story above, you usually don't need to climatize your apartment for cats. The air conditioning might even dry out their mucosa, and cats are notoriously bad in drinking.
Overall they prefer warmth over cold any day. Obviously, If you have the feeling the day is going to be a record summer day then slight air conditioning is better than taking a risk.
Thank you for the info. I didnt know any of that.

MetalAlien

Banned
If you read the story it sounds like the AC was on but failed while she was inside. Still shouldn't have left them there that long.

Weilthain

Banned
I’m part time dog owner (I look after my sisters dog while she is at work since I’m able to have the dog at my work)

It’s a little French bulldog and I’m doing everything I can to keep her cool while we are are here at work which is boiling. She’s got a fan on her blowing cold air so she is fine.

Getting home I will try to get a ride else will have to stick to the shadows, bus is way too hot.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Thank you for the info. I didnt know any of that.
You’re welcome.
Obviously you didnt do anything wrong. Depending how hot it was where you live it might have been for the best.
However, many people are extreme with their AC settings, putting temperatures that are even chilly for humans, and therefore much more so for cats.

bati

What a tragedy. I only had to transport my pup in a hot summer car a few times and I was so worried about him that I blasted the AC on max for 20 minutes before we even departed and then made a stop after 15 mins (whole trip was like 30) so he could cool off in the river quickly (while the car continued to blast the AC lol). And I kept him on the front passenger seat so I could see if he'd start having issues. Maybe I'm just over protective of my dog but it blows my mind that some other people have so little regard for their animals.

Top Bottom