• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teen driver arrested after live-streaming crash that killed her sister.

Hydrus

I just want to start by saying if Mods feel this thread should be locked, then lock it. I searched and didn't find a similar thread. I'm not trying to post this to shock people or post gory stories. This has been blowing up my feed, and has been all over the news today. This isn't that far from where some of my family lives.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hat-killed-her-sister/?utm_term=.5363e8d5a044
Obdulia Sanchez aimed the camera phone at her face as she rapped along to the song blaring over the radio and tried to control the car she was driving on a road in California's Central Valley.

Then came tragedy, live-streamed in a horrifying Instagram video.

The California Highway Patrol told Fox affiliate KTXL that 18-year-old Sanchez lost control of her 2003 Buick, drove off the edge of the road and then over-corrected. The car crashed into a barbed-wire fence and flipped over in a field, according to ABC affiliate KFSN.

Sanchez's 14-year-old sister, Jacqueline, and another teen girl — who were in the back seat and were not wearing seat belts — were ejected from the tumbling car.

Moments later, Obdulia Sanchez was on Instagram Live again, explaining what happened — and growing increasingly hysterical.

”Hey, everybody, if I go to f—— jail for life, you already know why," she began, adjusting the camera so that it showed her younger sister, motionless and bleeding from the head.

”My sister is f—— dying. Look, I f—— love my sister to death. I don't give a f—. Man, we about to die. This is the last thing I wanted to happen to us, but it just did. Jacqueline, please wake up."

Another girl screamed in the background.

”I don't f—— care though," Sanchez continued. ”I'm a hold it down. I love you, rest in peace, sweetie. If you don't survive, baby, I am so f—— sorry. I did not mean to kill you, sweetie. Sweetie, I am f—— sorry. Sweetie, please, wake up!"

Jacqueline was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Obdulia Sanchez was in Merced County Jail on Monday, accused of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and gross vehicular manslaughter.

This is now the second incident ( The first being the Florida teens incident ) in two weeks in which teens have used/ caused horrible, tragic deaths to get some attention on social media. I have never in my life seen anything like this. The video is on youtube and is linked in the article (NSFW -WATCH AT YOUR OWN RISK ) and it is one of the most heartless, disgusting things I have ever seen in my life. I guess I just have a bunch of questions running thru my mind, like what the hell can be done to stop this stuff from getting out of hand? Should social media companies get some blame for these types of things?

I'm not excusing what she did, but how are you getting that she used social media to get attention for causing death? More like she is a dumb teenager who was trying live stream herself singing and driving and got into an awful accident. Clearly she's going to live with these consequences for the rest of her life and that will include time in prison.

whitehawk

Banned
The biggest thing that pops out to me is that the two girls in the back weren't wearing seatbelts.

Parents need to drill it into their kids heads more to wear seatbelts. It's so instinctual for me I don't even think a out it. My mom would always make sure everyone was wearing seatbelts before driving. I do the same. The crash not have been preventable, but their lives could have been saved.

RS4-

Anyone should be jailed and lose their license for doing this shit while driving or operating any kind of vehicle.

This story just makes it worse.

Fuck these people.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The video is fucked up.

What a horrible fucking situation.

Girl is clearly in super extreme shock, she wasn't acting right.

Hydrus

I'm not excusing what she did, but how are you getting that she used social media to get attention for causing death? More like she is a dumb teenager who was trying live stream herself singing and driving and got into an awful accident. Clearly she's going to live with these consequences for the rest of her life and that will include time in prison.

She lived streamed her sister dying, while shaking her body and looking directly into the camera.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was watching the video of it as it happened and honestly the most disturbing thing is she kept fucking streaming everything well after the crash. She was sitting beside her dying sister still streaming. Put the fucking phone away already and stop broadcasting that to the entire world. Why would you stream your sibling dying?

Alucrid

Banned

i imagine it's because after the crash she restarted the instagram live feed and recorded her dead sister?

Absolutely disgraceful. I can't imagine it.

Why? WHY are you livestreaming while operating a vehicle?!?!
Not that I'm saying you're wrong, but if I got into an accident for livestreaming myself singing, the last, the very very last thing I would do is continue to record myself and show my siblings in such a state. I'm tearing up thinking about it right now.

NoRéN

I was watching the video of it as it happened and honestly the most disturbing thing is she kept fucking streaming everything well after the crash. She was sitting beside her dying sister still streaming. Put the fucking phone away already and stop broadcasting that to the entire world. Why would you stream your sibling dying?

Nah, man! Gotta get them views/likes/thumbs up.

Hydrus

Wow, do you know this girl?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Keep reading.

kunonabi

If she really loved her sister she wouldn't have been driving like an idiot and would have made sure she was wearing her damn seatbelt. This entire story makes my blood boil.

She lived streamed her sister dying, while shaking her body and looking directly into the camera.

I understand that, but your initial wording was that she had gotten into an accident on purpose to look cool on social media. Clearly she was live streaming to look cool while she's singing a long and it happened to lead this awful accident.

Look she fucked up bad, real bad. But I don't think she's close to the monster you're trying to make her out to be. I don't think she got into the car saying "oh Wait till I purposefully get into a car accident this is gonna get a lot of views".

More like, "oh I'm a dumb teenager wait until I record my self singing along while I drive its gonn be soooo cool"

Edit: this is all my commentary without watching the video though. I can't bring myself to do that so I'll concede you probably have a better idea by seeing it.

HStallion

I understand that, but your initial wording was that she had gotten into an accident on purpose to look cool on social media. Clearly she was live streaming to look cool while she's singing a long and it happened to lead this awful accident.

Look she fucked up bad, real bad. But I don't think she's close to the monster you're trying to make her out to be. I don't think she got into the car saying "oh Wait till I purposefully get into a car accident this is gonna get a lot of views".

More like, "oh I'm a dumb teenager wait until I record my self singing along while I drive its gonn be soooo cool"

She was streaming well after the crash had happened and as she sat their next to her dying sister. Was that really needed?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

is she instagram famous or something?

i saw this story earlier and was dumbfounded that she streamed her sisters dying moments

She was streaming well after the crash was happening and as she sat their next to her dying sister. Was that really needed?

It sounds like she was drunk and on drugs. That and the belief you just killed your sibling in front of the whole world to see probably prevented her from being super rational.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Innocent lives lost cause of this shithead's obsession with social media and the need to livestream yourself driving. A colossal fuck up like this beyond repair is one needed lesson she'll take with her to her grave.
R.I.P to the victims.

Fuck the ME-generation and their dumbass obsession with live-streaming every fucking thing.

That's the most disturbing part of the story. Why the hell would she stream her sister dying and not try to aid her sister in anyway, or just call 911?
Christ, what an avoidable tragedy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I don't think anyone is saying she did it intentionally but there is something really wrong with a generation of kids growing up fixated on televising their lives at any and all possible opportunities.

HStallion

It sounds like she was drunk and on drugs. That and the belief you just killed your sibling in front of the whole world to see probably prevented her from being super rational.

Well nevermind then, I didn't realize she was drunk and on drugs. That makes all the difference!

louiedog

I've seen articles on at least two other people who live streamed crashes, which probably occurred as a result of that distraction. People are stupid. I wish they would at least be stupid in a way that wouldn't harm others.

very graphic video.

distracted driving
DUI
no seatbelts

recipe for disaster.

I don't get it. Why do people need to stream while driving???

Ashhong

I read she was on a ton of xanax which would explain her crazy as shit behavior after the crash. Sad stuff.

I don't think anyone is saying she did it intentionally but there is something really wrong with a generation of kids growing up fixated on televising their lives at any and all possible opportunities.

It's because of all the successful streamers and dumbass vloggers. All these kids want to get that viral video or be cool on social media and blow up. It's dumb as hell

Ponn

Banned
Absolutely disgraceful. I can't imagine it.

Why? WHY are you livestreaming while operating a vehicle?!?!

I've seen so many videos of people posting a 20 minute plus video where they are talking about a subject or a situation while driving and i just shake my head. Your ass is not possibly that busy that the only time you have to make a video to post on social media or youtube is specifically while driving a fucking car. It's some kind of trend like periscoping where its cool for some reason to be doing your video while driving a car. I guess like how everyone takes selfies or profile pics while in a car.

This shit right here is a whole other level. Thats your sister and your first thought is to pick up your fucking phone and stream her death. And all the while everything you are saying is making her dying right there in front of you all about yourself. Its beyond fucking disgusting.

NoRéN

What do you get out of defending this idiot piece of shit?

You already barged in here giving your opinion while being completely ignorant to the facts, as you stated yourself above.

This girl can rot away from society and nothing of value will be lost.

BriGuy

Jesus.

I don't know what else to say. It's scary to think that as safe or good a driver you or your loved ones may be, some dipshit fucking around with their phone can trigger a fatal accident.

Top Bottom