• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja... oh fuck you, Ubi Soft. FUCK YOU!

TMNT Smash Up's been released early in some retailers. Here's the roster. It's probably complete. There are 16 characters. Ubi Soft promised 20 characters on the official site.

Leo, Don, Mike, Raph, April, Casey, Foot Ninja, Fugitoid, Karai, Shredder, Splinter, Utrominator, Nightwatcher, Rabbid, Another Rabbid, MORE MOTHERFUCKING RABBID!

WHAT THE FUCK? Of the 16 available characters, three slots are Rabbids. This is their way of celebrating the 25th anniversary of the TMNT.

Online works better than Brawl so far. I don't have the game, but I've been stalking this board for information: http://www.turtledojo.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Ok, some more information. These are all stolen from thetechnodrome.com or turtle dojo.

Pre-Order Bonus.
3929842798_ee9c946717.jpg

Gameplay Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4Y3ptUgB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F31fi83MtTw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ4Y3ptUgB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvS79CC2kU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RlpsMfxuUU&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmx...573A176E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=21

Online Play Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-1puG-514&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T25xtGKZ6w&feature=player_embedded

Stage Pictures:

256skti.jpg

Utrominator is NOT Krang. The Utrominator is a brand new character from the 2003 show from the episode Same As It Never Was. See the episode link below and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOLM9lMDZNE

Known Release Dates:

* North America: September 22, 2009
* Europe: September 25, 2009 (possibly pushed back to October)

Controllers:

* Wii Remote
* Wii Remote plus Nunchaku
* Classic Controller
* Gamecube Controller

Features:

* Story mode written by TMNT co-creator Peter Laird, and comic cut-scenes drawn by Jim Lawson.
* Unlockable comic book covers and various other artwork.
* Eliminate players by reducing their life bars to 0 or by tossing them out of the ring.
* Interactive stages.
* Characters can cling to walls, run up them, and launch themselves off the walls to attack long distances.
* Items take the form of Ninja Powers that will occasionally appear on the stage and can be picked up. They include:
o Fire -- Your arm acts as a flame-thrower so you can torch anyone in front of you.
o Lightning -- Surrounds you with a soft shield, meaning that anyone can pass through it, but it damages anyone who tries.
o Kunai -- Throwing knives that can be... thrown. Nice projectile to discourage your opponents from camping.
o 3-way Kunai -- Kunai that attack in 3 directions at once.
o Byakko -- They look like claw marks that ripped open time and space. Great for setting up traps, they damage any opponent who touches them.
o Tornado -- Improves your attacks and speed.
* Tag-team battles -- Characters can be swapped out at any time and even during certain attacks to perform tag-team combos.
* Online play for Wii version.
* Character glow around each character -- Color can be customized, or the glow can be turned off completely.
* Minigames which include:
o Kunai-dodging
o Grab as many pizzas as possible before time runs out
o Wall-jumping challenges

Reviews:

This is the first review I found from a very weird source. How much you trust this review is up to you. They liked it a lot though.

World's Finest DVD Report Review: http://www.wfdvdreport.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=1095

Overall, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up for the Wii is not the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game 25 years in the making" as advertisements claim it to be, but it's still a great game that comes Highly Recommended. It's just fun and entertaining from the get-go. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans should definitely rush out to pick up this game, though casual fans may want to rent the title before purchasing it. Ubisoft has done a very admirable job with the game, even taken into account some of the missteps listed above. The game is quick to pick up and incredibly addictive, and with a host of different modes and unlockables along with a great online mode, it is sure to keep fans playing for quite some time to come. I'm positive that if you give it a chance, like me, you'll definitely become hooked to the rip-roarin' fun of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up!

Nicktals

Banned
Sweet, love the turtles and love the rabbids...What are the variations on the rabbids? They aren't all the same, right?

Ok, there's a Splinter Cell Rabbid. Assassin (Ninja?) Rabbid. I have no idea what's the last one.

No Archie Characters. Well, I figured as much seeing as how Laird hates the show.

Peff

Nicktals said:
Sweet, love the turtles and love the rabbids...What are the variations on the rabbids? They aren't all the same, right?

Nope, Splinter Rabbid, Regular Rabbid and Turtle Rabbid.

I'm still interested in the game since 13 TMNT characters is not such a bad number for a first installment and there is a decent and varied amount of stages, so I hope the online works really well.

Cow Mengde said:
No idea. I'm browsing the forums for info as we speak.

Oh yeah, here's the commercial. At least it's pretty damn cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBkRxztlZ3o

Why would they pick a song like that? It doesn't make any sense regarding the action.

I also don't like how... wrinkly and gross and gritty everybody appears. I don't remember them looking like that in screenshots, but for some reason they chose that style for the CGI.

Haunted

No Bebop or Rocksteady? Shame.

And what the fuck did they do to the Huey Smith song in that ad. Terrible cover.

Sega1991 said:
Why would they pick a song like that? It doesn't make any sense regarding the action. I also don't like how... wrinkly and gross and gritty everybody appears. I don't remember them looking like that in screenshots, but for some reason they chose that style for the CGI.
The CGI style is taken directly from the latest Turtle movie.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Cow Mengde said:
TMNT Smash Up's been released early in some retailers. Here's the rooster. It's probably complete. There are 16 characters.

Leo, Don, Mike, Raph, April, Casey, Foot Ninja, Fugitoid, Karai, Shredder, Splinter, Utrominator, Nightwatcher, Rabbid, Another Rabbid, MORE MOTHERFUCKING RABBID!

WHAT THE FUCK? Of the 16 available characters, three slots are Rabbids.

Online works better than Brawl so far. I don't have the game, but I've been stalking this board for information: http://www.turtledojo.com/viewforum.php?f=4

I've been a Ninja Turtles fan since age 4 but I don't know who any of the bolded characters are.

hold on, wait, they put Rabbids, like from Rayman, in the Turtles game? WAT

P.S. where is Krang?

Danthrax said:
I've been a Ninja Turtles fan since age 4 but I don't know who any of the bolded characters are.

hold on, wait, they put Rabbids, like from Rayman, in the Turtles game? WAT

P.S. where is Krang?

By "Ninja Turtles fan", you must mean just the 80's cartoon, because I have a hard time believing you're a Turtles fan and you don't know who those characters are.

I'm not even that big of a Turtles fan and I know.

MisterHero

They go through the trouble of having a Technodrome stage but no Bebop or Rocksteady.

:lol :lol :lol

The game might play good and I'll probably get it, but the fanservice between games like this and Re-Shelled make you appreciate how much more authentic Ghostbusters was.

Here's to hoping it gets good reviews and sales. I want more of these Smash type games.

Unfortunately though, I haven't seen much buzz around the game, so sales might be lackluster. Just gotta hope Ubi pushes it.

Sega1991 said:
By "Ninja Turtles fan", you must mean just the 80's cartoon, because I have a hard time believing you're a Turtles fan and you don't know who those characters are.

*high fives Sega1991*

Leo decapitates The Shredder will forever be ingrained into my mind.

Whoever made this game is a giant cock.

Well, that explains everything.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sega1991 said:

well, yeah, a late-80s, early-90s Turtles fan. Watched the cartoon, read some comics, played a few video games, played with the action figures, saw the movies, own the movies, still have a trash can.

still don't know who those guys are. =\

vazel

Banned
I've recently gotten back into liking TMNT so I may get this in a couple months. But yea the Rabbids is lame.

I love how the OP goes from, "FUCK THIS GAME AND THE COMPANY THAT MADE IT!" to "oh, here are some videos and pre-order bonuses".

Sega1991 said:
Why would they pick a song like that? It doesn't make any sense regarding the action.

That the song was by the band Casey Jones. It's an obscure reference.

I love how the OP goes from, "FUCK THIS GAME AND THE COMPANY THAT MADE IT!" to "oh, here are some videos and pre-order bonuses".

I might as well use it to build some hype for the game. Most of GAF probably don't know or like the TMNT enough to care about the characters to share my frustration.

I'll keep updating with more info as I go along.

Peff

Danthrax said:
well, yeah, a late-80s, early-90s Turtles fan. Watched the cartoon, read some comics, played a few video games, played with the action figures, saw the movies, own the movies, still have a trash can.

still don't know who those guys are. =\

Karai is the second in comand of the Foot Clan, Fugitoid is a character from the comics who had his brain transported into a robot and helped the turtles, Nightwatcher is Raphael's vigilante identity in the 2007 film and I'm not exactly sure who Ultrominator is right now. The rabbids are from Rayman, yes.

I still find it odd that they didn't put the villains from the movie considering how much it influenced everything else...

Ubi Soft sucks at developing. They haven't showed improvement in years and I'm just venting because Re-Shelled fucking blew and I was hoping it didn't.

What a shit roster. I mean really poor. You had like 6 continuitys to pick from (Mirage comics, 80's cartoon, Archie comics, Live action Movies, 00's cartoon, CGI Movie's) and you just put shitty Rabbids in there? Thats just bizarre arrogance. On the fucking 25th anniversary, fans would be buying this for a full out Turtles nerdgasm. That is not what this has amounted to.

Very poor effort. I'm still reeling from them going with the utterly awful CGI movie designs and not these:

mbq0c8.png

Oh what could have been. Oh and this is Ultrominator:
256skti.jpg

I assume this is an attempt to appease 80's cartoon fans by positioning this as Krang but NO DICE.

vazel

Banned
red shoe paul said:
Ubi Soft sucks at developing. They haven't showed improvement in years and I'm just venting because Re-Shelled fucking blew and I was hoping it didn't.
Game Arts developed this one. Although we don't know how much Ubi mettled besides the obvious inclusion of Rabbids.

In other news, Beyond Good & Evil 2 remains in limbo.
I wonder if we can square off the Rabbids against Yellow & Blue Toad in NSMB Wii.

Hey game developers! How about you come up with some fricken creativity instead of meaingless palette swaps? Huh, you think you can muster that? I'm not sure you can.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As always, looks like a Brawl mod with watered down content. Sadly the Turtles fan in me will be suckered in for a purchase.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
SecretBonusPoint said:
Oh what could have been. Oh and this is Ultrominator:
256skti.jpg

I assume this is an attempt to appease 80's cartoon fans by positioning this as Krang but NO DICE.

WTF is that?!?! Why is Krang being called Ultrominator and why is his style all fucked up like that?

EatChildren said:
As always, looks like a Brawl mod with watered down content. Sadly the Turtles fan in me will be suckered in for a purchase.

Gameplay wise, it doesn't sound too bad. So far, the impressions are favorable from TMNT fans. This could be looked upon as biased, or you could think a bunch of snobby nerds are actually satisfied (gameplay wise).

Apparently, The Technodrome requires some pre-order cheat code to unlock... along with the Ninja Rabbid.

Danthrax said:
WTF is that?!?! Why is Krang being called Ultrominator and why is his style all fucked up like that?

Its when you focus on the weird lesser known Turtles stuff and try and use it to appease 80's cartoon fans. In the original comics, there is no Krang, but there are these little blob aliens called Ultroms. In the modern cartoon they go one step further and deal with the Ultroms a bit more and even one named Krang, and these Ultroms also go around in humanoid robot bodies in disguise on Earth. So to stretch all that into trying to appease comic, new cartoon and 80's cartoon fans you get this. Phew.

Cow Mengde said:
Apparently, The Technodrome requires some pre-order cheat code to unlock... along with the Ninja Rabbid.

Technodrome stage was the only thing that peaked my interest about this game at all. Not gonna touch it at all at this point.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Danthrax said:
Krang =/= Utrom

You really need to read the original Mirage comics. Go to you local comic shop and ask for TMNT Collected Book Volume One.

In fact, everyone who doesn't know who Fugitoid is or what the Utroms are need to read these collected books. You can't miss the first volume's distinctive cover:

mxmgu5

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I just looked over all the stage designs up there. Some of them look fun, but by and large, Game Arts' level designs are kinda boring. I make this determination between Smash Up here and Brawl.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Its when you focus on the weird lesser known Turtles stuff and try and use it to appease 80's cartoon fans. In the original comics, there is no Krang, but there are these little blob aliens called Ultroms. In the modern cartoon they go one step further and deal with the Ultroms a bit more and even one named Krang, and these Ultroms also go around in humanoid robot bodies in disguise on Earth. So to stretch all that into trying to appease comic, new cartoon and 80's cartoon fans you get this. Phew.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. My rage subsides.

Christopher

I don't know why they didn't do like they did in that upcoming special by just having the 2003 series vs the 1980 series of charactes now that would have been an itneresting game.

Sanjuro

Remember when I was hyped and throwing a million .gifs in the TMNT:TiT thread?

This game not so excited for. I think people getting up in arms about the characters are going a little overboard. The game intention was to be more of a anniversary type deal...which is does have some qualities of, they just didn't go into that much detail with it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Whimsical Phil said:
Krang =/= Utrom

You really need to read the original Mirage comics. Go to you local comic shop and ask for TMNT Collected Book Volume One.

In fact, everyone who doesn't know who Fugitoid is or what the Utroms are need to read these collected books. You can't miss the first volume's distinctive cover:

mxmgu5

You mean the collected books that have been out of print for years and command an insane premium price on the secondary market?

Have they been reprinted recently? Because otherwise these are way out of the price range of a curious casual fan.

demolitio

Wow, wasn't there numerous times where they mentioned 20 characters at least? I went to their forums and people are going nuts over it too. Looks like a good game, but seems to focus way too much on the newer TMNT stuff of no-names compared to the old, classic guys. Same for the costumes on Shredder and the FOOT ninja. :(

lol @ anyone who claims to be a TMNT fan and not know who Karai is. Even the most casual of TMNT fans should know who she is.

About that roster, I can understand Usagi Yojimbo being left out, but where are Leatherhead and Stockman?

operon

Damn I fucking love the thread title. Loved the teenage mutant hero turtles(as they were called in Uk and Ireland) but with those pics etc they've fucked up krang

Cow Mengde said:

WHAT THE FUCK? Of the 16 available characters, three slots are Rabbids.
Reminds me of the whole Landmaster thing. :lol

I'll be interested in trying this game, but I'm unfamiliar with the Turtles universe (despite having Turtles 1 and 3 on the NES since youth), so unless there was something special about the game, I don't know how much enjoyment I'd get out of it.

Sanjuro

I'm not an elitist enough fan to tell people who are fans or not. A large portion of the fanbase doesn't know who Karai or Utroms are.

Xeke

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm not an elitist enough fan to tell people who are fans or not. A large portion of the fanbase doesn't know who Karai or Utroms are.

I sure don't.:lol

I hate when people complain that obscure characters don't make games.

demolitio

Xeke said:
I sure don't.:lol

I hate when people complain that obscure characters don't make games.

I think most are complaining about the opposite right now. Some newer obscure characters are in, but the ones from older series that everyone knows aren't in.

Azure J

Why would you do that? said:
Reminds me of the whole Landmaster thing. :lol

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE MOTHERFUCKING LANDMASTERS IN MY MOTHERFUCKING SMASH BROS!

Ah, good times. :lol

As for Smash-Up, well it was really hard to think of it as anything more than a Turtles Reskin of Smash and while that originally sounded like quite a fun thing, they already killed half the fun of it with that stale looking roster.

Top Bottom