• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
SavZ2WF.png

Seriously, that is nightmare fuel.

Quick reminder that this isn't a Michael Bay movie, Michael Bay didn't write OR direct the movie, the director is Jonathan Liebesman, and the writers are Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, and Evan Daugherty.

Siegcram

Quick reminder that this isn't a Michael Bay movie, Michael Bay didn't write OR direct the movie, the director is Jonathan Liebesman, and the writers are Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, and Evan Daugherty.
Yet for some reason his name is all over this. It's the first name in the trailer ffs.

I just checked IMDB for those writers; Appelbaum and Nemec both wrote Mission Impossible 4 and seem to have quite the similar résumé. They clearly worked on the same thing more than once. I'm unfamiliar with most of their work. That said, I really liked M:I 4 so there's that.

Yet for some reason his name is all over this.

Marketing. Kinda like when Kojima's name was all over Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, even though he barely worked on it.

jett

D-Member
Those TV spots make me hopeful this could be decent at least.

Those character posters are awful though. Despite all the gizmos Donny looks the best there. He looks kinda not ugly, unlike the rest. I think all the turtles look fine within the movie, though.

TMNTurtles in a hyperrealistic environment such as a Michael Bay produced film NEED to have eyelids, nostrils and lips. Their cg models look AMAZING as far as just the cg goes (I also happen to like the designs) and having rounded snouts and flapping mouths would NOT cut it. This is the most human and likeable they can look before veering off into movie monster territory.

I can't help but think of this situation in real life where if you really saw Mikey, you'd be scared shitless. But once you got to know him and his morals and his personality, he becomes likeable and cute to an extent. Movies have too often given us this exact scenario but fail because the designs are usually cute/friendly to begin with (Beauty and the Beast, nerd girl in glasses in romantic comedy X, most itertions of TMNT etc...).

I've had a positive opinion about these designs since the leak which has brought me back into Turtle mode, but reading the visual history of the ninja turles solidifies my stance.

JB1981

Just watched trailer #2 for the first time. Looks charmless and violent with terrible steroid-pumped turtle designs. Yep it's a Michael Bay movie.

I can't read the above two opinions without reading their tags and snickering lol.

Charmless? The Batman voice gag, Mikey's lines, the way the turtles freeze when they realize they've been spotted after giving their ninjas as silent as shadows (or something) speech.... Great stuff.

G-Fex

TMNTurtles in a hyperrealistic environment such as a Michael Bay produced film NEED to have eyelids, nostrils and lips. Their cg models look AMAZING as far as just the cg goes (I also happen to like the designs) and having rounded snouts and flapping mouths would NOT cut it. This is the most human and likeable they can look before veering off into movie monster territory.

I can't help but think of this situation in real life where if you really saw Mikey, you'd be scared shitless. But once you got to know him and his morals and his personality, he becomes likeable and cute to an extent. Movies have too often given us this exact scenario but fail because the designs are usually cute/friendly to begin with (Beauty and the Beast, nerd girl in glasses in romantic comedy X, most itertions of TMNT etc...).

I've had a positive opinion about these designs since the leak which has brought me back into Turtle mode, but reading the visual history of the ninja turles solidifies my stance.

Exactly. Everyone hating on their looks are the reason they're afraid to come out of the sewers. You're all terrible.

Also how the hell can you guys like the ugly ass transformers but hate on this LOL.

He is a producer and it has all the hallmarks of a Bay film.

He's a producer along with

Ian Bryce
Andrew Form
Bradley Fuller
Scott Mednick
and Galen Walker

It's written by three people, produced by five, and directed by one. This is hardly an example of "auteur theory" in fucking action.

It looks like every other superhero movie made in the last 10 years. There's nothing unique about it besides the fact the computer generated heroes at its center aren't Spider-Man or The Hulk or Godzilla or whatever Andy Serkis has decided to mo-cap this week, they're some giant-ass turtles.

G-Fex

He's a producer along with

Ian Bryce
Andrew Form
Bradley Fuller
Scott Mednick
and Galen Walker

It's written by three people, produced by five, and directed by one. This is hardly an example of "auteur theory" in fucking action.

It looks like every other superhero movie made in the last 10 years. There's nothing unique about it besides the fact the computer generated heroes at its center aren't Spider-Man or The Hulk or Godzilla or whatever Andy Serkis has decided to mo-cap this week, they're some giant-ass turtles.

Bobby you know to the blu ray release day this shit will still be known as bay's ninja turtles movie.

it's drilled into their minds.

JB1981

Who fucking said bay was an auteur. Visuals are straight out of the Michael Bay school of photography. We have lame attempts at humor, a typical Michael Bay cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Transformers with big ugly green guys

Who fucking said bay was an auteur. Visuals are straight out of the Michael Bay school of photography. We have lame attempts at humor, a typical Michael Bay cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Transformers with big ugly green guys

Haha thanks. I now imagine a cynical society existing when the original comic came out acting just like this. It was designed as a satire on gritty comics of the time but didn't come off as straight up mockery and ended up holding its own. All of the visuals were straight out of the comic book school of art. We have lame attempts at humor, typical comic book cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Daredevil with little ugly green guys.

I'm going through this as well. I don't know if it's my love for the turtles or is it because it actually looks pretty cool. The designs and OMG BAYYYY NAME IS ON IT is not killing my buzz. Movie looks dope. Can't wait.

For me it's both. The Turtles are my childhood heroes, along with the Power Rangers. Seeing them in a movie that looks kickass just fills me with glee and joy.

The Batman voice gag, Mikey's lines, the way the turtles freeze when they realize they've been spotted after giving their ninjas as silent as shadows (or something) speech.... Great stuff.

Totally. This movie looks fun, which is exactly what a TMNT film needs to be. Can't fucking wait.

I'M SO PUMPED.

Nobody had to say it outright. Hell, this entire post of yours is essentially ARGUING THE POINT FOR ME. You were better off just saying "it doesn't help that his name is all over the marketing" because at least that wasn't contradictory. But trying to say "Nobody said he was an auteur" and then trying to ascribe every aspect of this film to him and him alone? C'mon man.

If that trailer said "From producer Ian Bryce" almost none of this shit would be called out as specifically as it is, because none of it is specific. It looks like a made-by-committee summer blockbuster based on a brand. Based solely on the marketing, the ONLY thing distinguishing it from any other superhero movie, visually, is that the heroes are turtles.

Of the five producers listed, he's one. Of the three writers and one director credited, he's none. He was making a shitass Transformers movie while this was being shot and post-produced.

This isn't a Michael Bay movie. His name is in the trailers because "From Producer Ian Bryce" doesn't sell any fuckin tickets.

v1lla21

I've only watched 1 trailer for the movie. I've been keeping away from everything because I want to go in with no expectations and come out happy.

I wouldn't agree. For the third film they basically swapped Transformers for Gobots.

Still better than the shrek-atized versions... :(

This is getting absurd.

It's my opinion, i think i'm entitled to it, they look better... it's worse than the previous ones in TMNT I and II... but at least they don't make you hide under your bed, every single person i've shown them to have had strong reactions to the way they look, and not in a positive way... they go like... ARRRGGHHH!!!... the turtles are supposed to look cute!!! (woman), and guys go like... WHOAHHH!!!... what did they do to them?, they look so ugly!!!

Not a single positive comment... NONE.

Still better than the shrek-atized versions... :(

It's my opinion, i think i'm entitled to it, they look better... it's worse than the previous ones in TMNT I and II... but at least they don't make you hide under your bed, every single person i've shown them to have had strong reactions to the way they look, and not in a positive way... they go like... ARRRGGHHH!!!... the turtles are supposed to look cute!!! (woman), and guys go like... WHOAHHH!!!... what did they do to them?, they look so ugly!!!

Not a single positive comment... NONE.
So they then look like what the turtles were always supposed to look like? Hideous mutants that made you gasp which made them stay in the sewers until they save you one night and you get to know them and realize "wow, these guys aint so bad afterall"?

But no. Everyone wanted smiley faced turtles because "childhood" or badass turtles because of entitlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom