• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) | OT | Hey Dude, This Is NO Cartoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who fucking said bay was an auteur. Visuals are straight out of the Michael Bay school of photography. We have lame attempts at humor, a typical Michael Bay cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Transformers with big ugly green guys

Do you know what auteur means?

A lot of people think "Auteur" is just a fancy word for "good director" because the way it's USUALLY used, the two could be synonymous.

But the quality of the movie isn't very important to whether or not its director can be slotted into auteur theory.

By the way, I love that a discussion on Auteur Theory has broken out in a TMNT thread :)

Permanently A

Damn, I thought this was a thread for Season 3 of the nick cartoon.

I'm probably still gonna see this since my little brother wants to.

Who fucking said bay was an auteur. Visuals are straight out of the Michael Bay school of photography. We have lame attempts at humor, a typical Michael Bay cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Transformers with big ugly green guys
I don't see how the humor is any different than the original movies or the recent cartoon. I mean, if you're not in to it, you probably don't really like the Ninja Turtles anyway so this movie was never going to be for you no matter who made it.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
All of the crossover marketing is making me feel very nostalgic!

A lot of people think "Auteur" is just a fancy word for "good director" because the way it's USUALLY used, the two could be synonymous.

But the quality of the movie isn't very important to whether or not its director can be slotted into auteur theory.

By the way, I love that a discussion on Auteur Theory has broken out in a TMNT thread :)

lol

It's pretty funny. I don't like how it has been turned into a buzz word.

Idk, it doesn't look that bad?

I might catch it on amazon rental someday. Could be a good dumb action movie. Those old movies were pretty shitty as well. Only difference is we were kids then.

oneHeero

Cant wait, day one. I'm a fan of tmnt since my childhood. And while the movie is way diff from every other appearances tmnt have made, I aint gonna hate. The trailers look fun.

Haters be damned, watch this movie be bad ass!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Idk, it doesn't look that bad?

I might catch it on amazon rental someday. Could be a good dumb action movie. Those old movies were pretty shitty as well. Only difference is we were kids then.
That is false. The first movie is a very solid film that an adult might enjoy.

Sequels sucked, tho.

JB1981

Haha thanks. I now imagine a cynical society existing when the original comic came out acting just like this. It was designed as a satire on gritty comics of the time but didn't come off as straight up mockery and ended up holding its own. All of the visuals were straight out of the comic book school of art. We have lame attempts at humor, typical comic book cast, and gaudy, overdesigned heroes and villains. It's Daredevil with little ugly green guys.

What do you actually think looks good about this movie, other than the fact that you are fan of the propety? Does the acting look good? Does the design look good? Does the action look good? Is the humor funny? Is the cast good?

Full disclosure: was a huge fan of the franchise as a kid, stood in line like millions of other kids to see the live action movie and watched it endlessly. This movie looks like garbage though.

Sanjuro

What do you actually think looks good about this movie, other than the fact that you are fan of the propety? Does the acting look good? Does the design look good? Does the action look good? Is the humor funny? Is the cast good?

I mean, nobody hear has really seen the film, and if I had to judge it alone by the glimpses I've seen it looks on par with some of the Marvel properties out there. If that is the case the film still can be fun despite let's say acting or design, which neither appear to be the primary focus of the film.

Full disclosure: was a huge fan of the franchise as a kid, stood in line like millions of other kids to see the live action movie and watched it endlessly. This movie looks like garbage though.

I'll answer this:

Does the acting look good?
Honestly haven't seen enough to determine this (from humans). The Turtles' acting have been perfectly fine though. Good even. Only "bad" instance I can think of is Megan Fox's delivery on the "Are they aliens?" exchange.

Does the design look good?
I don't think they're perfect (I think they could have made some of the faces a bit better), but I like them.

Does the action look good?
Haven't seen enough, but it looks fine so far.

Is the humor funny?
Again, like it so far. Pretty much every joke could have been lifted straight out of the new cartoon and people enjoy that (myself included) so I don't see the problem there.

Irobot82

N9MIanV.gif

I like the look of Donnie in this shot.

Good post.

I mean, nobody hear has really seen the film, and if I had to judge it alone by the glimpses I've seen it looks on par with some of the Marvel properties out there. If that is the case the film still can be fun despite let's say acting or design, which neither appear to be the primary focus of the film.

This.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So now people are arguing that Bay basically directed this while he was also working on Transformers. Oooooookkkkaaay. He was also producer on The Purge, does that make it his movie? He is the most famous name attached to the project, so the marketing is going to run with that. It's not a uncommon practice at all. If people won't know the director, use a producer, if they don't know them you can use a studio name.

The last movie Liebesman worked on before this was that Battle: Los Angeles or whatever, and this looks about in that range. It's not like his visual style suddenly changed to make it look more like a Bay directed film. Dudes are basically working out of the same wheelhouse.

I mean at this point, if people like it they will praise Liebesman but if they hate it they will blame Bay. Which is insane.

JdFoX187

Banned
Picked up one of the Raphael Playmate toys today for $10. Looks like it's decent quality. Might go back and pick up Leonardo tonight if I can get the same deal. Surprised NECA or someone similar isn't putting out some collectibles.

Platy

Picked up one of the Raphael Playmate toys today for $10. Looks like it's decent quality. Might go back and pick up Leonardo tonight if I can get the same deal. Surprised NECA or someone similar isn't putting out some collectibles.

Not sure if you saw, but revoltech just did a Nick TMNT one

RangersFan

Wait...

So I just read that they aren't gonna be aliens after all?

After the whole alien controversy last year I wrote this movie off and haven't bothered following any of the news. If it's true that they're mutants again I might be back on board. Especially with Raph looking swole as fuck.

.la1n

Wait...

After the whole alien controversy last year I wrote this movie off and haven't bothered following any of the news. If it's true that they're mutants again I might be back on board.

They aren't going to be aliens, there is a joke about it in the movie though.

Sanjuro

Wait...

After the whole alien controversy last year I wrote this movie off and haven't bothered following any of the news. If it's true that they're mutants again I might be back on board.

Well...

If you want to be technical, they are part alien.

The screenplay you're referring to was being passed around before this entire team came on board.

I stopped being a fan of TMNT around the time that live action show came out. Not because of it, mind you. Just grew out of it, if you will.

But the leaks of these turtle designs brought me back in. I went out and purchased the blu-ray 3 pack of the original films and even started watching the Nick series (which is the best iteration of the turtles I've ever experienced) and it destroyed any nostalgia I had for the original series (the original film is still great though). So with my newfound infatuation with the new series, I can appreciate something on the side without fear of it "destroying my childhood" since I ALREADY DID THAT ON PURPOSE HA!

I honestly think the movie designs are fantastic for the movie they are a part of. Would I want leaner designs and more Japanese influence sometime down the line? Sure, but I'm not going to nitpick what the movie isn't and instead, appreciate what it is. And what it is is a new TMNT film with some of the best CG I've ever seen and the humor and personalities are spot on. If you don't think so and instead choose to reminisce about "cowabunga" and "gnarly dude", that's on you.

I stopped being a fan of TMNT around the time that live action show came out. Not because of it, mind you. Just grew out of it, if you will.

But the leaks of these turtle designs brought me back in. I went out and purchased the blu-ray 3 pack of the original films and even started watching the Nick series (which is the best iteration of the turtles I've ever experienced) and it destroyed any nostalgia I had for the original series (the original film is still great though). So with my newfound infatuation with the new series, I can appreciate something on the side without fear of it "destroying my childhood" since I ALREADY DID THAT ON PURPOSE HA!

I honestly think the movie designs are fantastic for the movie they are a part of. Would I want leaner designs and more Japanese influence sometime down the line? Sure, but I'm not going to nitpick what the movie isn't and instead, appreciate what it is. And what it is is a new TMNT film with some of the best CG I've ever seen and the humor and personalities are spot on. If you don't think so and instead choose to reminisce about "cowabunga" and "gnarly dude", that's on you.

Very well said.

Is the Nick TMNT series really good ? I didn't pay much attention to it, but what I've seen seemed very much geared towards kids; c'est-à-dire: not for me. I'm open to the idea of changing opinion.

Sanjuro

Very well said.

Is the Nick TMNT series really good ? I didn't pay much attention to it, but what I've seen seemed very much geared towards kids; c'est-à-dire: not for me. I'm open to the idea of changing opinion.

It's much better than most would have expected.

.la1n

Very well said.

It's pretty entertaining, much better than I would have ever thought when we were looking at early information on it. It has lots of humor in it aimed at adult fans so at least give it a shot if you are a fan of TMNT in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom