• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge Reveal trailer

Ristifer

Made my ears bleed. Had to go next door and punch my neighbor's pet rat (sorry, Algernon) in anger.
Sounds like you need to break up with nostalgia. Things are much better when you leave that behind. Food tastes better, the air is fresher, etc.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It’s not the same devs, it’s the same publisher.
I see that now. Updated my post. Hopefully they recognized some of what made SoR4 work so well and helped guide this team.
Bill Murray Good Luck GIF by reactionseditor

SegaShack

Please. Everyone complaining about it would be upset if it was the exact same minus one note. Any change to it whatsoever and it would be deemed “shit” simply because of the one change.
It sounds like a youtuber trying too hard to be cool by covering the song. That's how the vocals come across to me.

Last edited:

NT80

I really hope it has an extensive list of attack moves/combos for each turtle. Attack/jump attack and special won't cut it these days.
That and decent enemy variety and bosses. Without those things these games can become very repetitive. I haven't played SOR4 yet but it seems like they did a good job updating the gameplay. I really enjoyed the original Turtles arcade game in the 90s but by the time I played Turtles in Time on SNES I found it just got so repetitive by the half way point.

BRZBlue

Honestly, would've preferred better high def art like SoR4. Old style pixel art was a fad in the ps3 Era. I was all excited until I actually saw the gameplay.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've seen so much talk of the intro music, but who gives a crap? Really? That's your reaction? That the guy singing the cartoon intro doesn't sound as good as the original or the animation isn't up to par?

It's all just a commercial for the game.

MeteorVII

I would like to see a gritty TMNT game based on the original Eastman and Laird comics. Give it a black and white filter as well. I think that would be cool. Probably to niche for the main TMNT audience though.
This.

The only way I’d ever get excited for anything TMNT related again would be if it’s based on the original Mirage Comics.

All this other crap has been done to death already. We already have 80s cartoon Turtles beat em ups. And they’re never ever gonna top Turtles in Time, so I wish they would just stop with this nostalgia-pandering...

Hnjohngalt

I would have like an updated look like SoR4 at least but this will do.

I'd love to see Double Dragon make a comeback too.
Double Dragon Neon was the comeback. Its awesome too. Its on steam, ps3, and xbox 360.

Cant wait for this new Turtles in time III

sn0man

Could be good, but won't hold a candle to TMNT: Rescue-Palooza! fan game.
I gotta try that thing. It looks so good.
Not sure what people mean about the graphics, they are very faithful to the orig game -

Snes

Arcade

Yeah I think it’s close enough

Imagine Arc System Works making a TMNT game...
A sequel to turtles tournament fighters by them would be epic.
Damn man . Sign me up and take my money . Shit looks amazing , love the art style they went with. Hope they do physical versions.
Yup. Same.
So... if they got the arcade game, a definitive Turtles in Time that meshed the 4-player and music from arcade with the additions from SNES, and an arcade made version of Manhattan project into one game I’d pay $70 instantly.

You have my sword.

And my Sai.
“A fellow chucker, eh!?” 🧡Sorry guys, what’d I miss?

sn0man

This might be obvious but I didn’t see it mentioned. I think the visual differences aren’t solely inability to recapture the 1990s cartoon. I’m assuming Nickelodeon has a current cartoon with the slightly child-like heads and art style. Because of the license I’m assuming the developer has to 8-bit-ify the new cartoon for this. Helps me get over it a bit personally but I understand people that arcade game and turtles in time are put off.

fersnake

love the ones from nes 1 and 2, on arcades love those also, but i have the IV (snes) on my heart so im kinda sad it's not the same art style from that. but i for sure gonna try it out.

Paperboy

In Streets of Rage 4 you could unlock the original sprites, it could very-well be something similar here for those who aren't too keen on the artstyle (I love it).

Madevil

This is actually quite tits. Holy fuck I loved the arcade cabinet and Turtles In Time on the SNES especially.

JSoup

Banned
I would like to see a gritty TMNT game based on the original Eastman and Laird comics. Give it a black and white filter as well. I think that would be cool. Probably to niche for the main TMNT audience though.

That's something I never thought of and never knew I wanted.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
This might be obvious but I didn’t see it mentioned. I think the visual differences aren’t solely inability to recapture the 1990s cartoon. I’m assuming Nickelodeon has a current cartoon with the slightly child-like heads and art style. Because of the license I’m assuming the developer has to 8-bit-ify the new cartoon for this. Helps me get over it a bit personally but I understand people that arcade game and turtles in time are put off.

I'm sure it's partially that.

But I also wonder if animators in Korea or wherever are even capable of replicating the 80s heavy shading style of animation? Can you get that retro hand drawn look from computers these days?

StormCell

Original doesn't come off as try hard as this one IMO.

The art is also a step back compared to the 1987 version.

I think it's a very fitting and somewhat modernized intro that pays tribute to the original. They really nailed it. Although I don't necessarily love the new vocals, I do appreciate the harder more modern take to the opening music.

Ozzie666

Okay confession time, the new theme is growing on me now, probably more than I'd like to admit. Actually I've come to accept it as it's pretty damn good.

Holammer

There's almost 1.2M views on the Dotemu page. Compare it with the SOR4 announcement video with 275k views in 10 months.
That's crazy good as most of the time IGN and others publish the video and siphon clicks off the original upload. Meaning, everyone and their dog shared the link on forums, twitter, discord and all sorts of social media. Whomever handled the reveal at Dotemu should pat himself on the back.
With the subject matter? Of course it would trend, but I still find it fascinating to look at the numbers.

Ballthyrm

So a French video game website just interviewed the boss of DotEmu and we got a couple of Info about the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Game.
Here are the broad lines for folks who don't speak French.

• They are polishing a new announcement trailer that detailed what they are going for in the next few days (probably next Monday, but as soon as they are happy with it)

• They had to remake the original song because of rights issues as they are really complicated and couldn't be sorted out.
  • The title song was kept and it will only be in English as they don't have the funds to pay for every language (French, German, Etc. )
  • They have picked a main composer and it will be announced who it is soon (in a few weeks), they are the one who composed the first track we can hear in the trailer

• They are going for a more Arcade Fun in multiplayer feel in contrast with the more methodical approach they had in SoR4, they want first and foremost the nail the basic controls down before adding depth
  • They want the game to be more about crowd control than perfect combo execution, less organized, more fun chaos (faster pace than SoR4 & easier to learn)

• They are doing the game with nickelodeon direct support so they are very hopeful for a killer physical edition (Maybe classic TMNT toys, etc, they had good partnership so far)
  • They haven't started on what they will be doing with the physical edition yet, but they see nothing that will stop them from doing one.
  • They want all the Turtles to feel different (different animation set, etc) and give you a different experience at each run
  • They used the classic 2D sprites as a template as they were given access to them which made the game dev easier (but not really)

• There was Another team that also pitch the same project to nickelodeon but it's their partnership with Tribute game that allowed them to win the deal

Last edited:
Top Bottom