• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 - Lucky Chloe revealed

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Too much salt in this thread to handle. At least it motivated me to main her and enjoy your tears.

You're like the tenth person in this thread to have said that.

it was by far the worst tekken right up there with 6

I really don't get what people have against Tekken 6, besides the long load times and the even longer home-release time.

4 was broken, but stuff like JFLS can be patched and tweaked nowadays. It really felt quite daring otherwise. I think 5 is a brilliant game and it was needed, but 6 shouldn't have tried to ape it so closely. I think because we had two revisions of T5, its T3/TTT based gameplay felt a bit old when we got to T6.

I guess, but developers are getting terrified of releasing anything that might be even slightly broken, or angering of the fans. Especially Tekken, a series that is pretty well past it's heyday and has yet to recapture it's old popularity, despite extremely solid titles like Tekken Tag Tournament 2. That even had the nostalgia factor going for it.

Xpliskin

Daaaamn and I thought GAF was the place to be for Japanese culture experts.

Tekken has always had ridiculous characters.

They might as well introduce a Xenomorph into the mix, it'll still be Tekken.

Korigama

Well yeah, if people think something looks stupid or ugly, they are offended by it. That's not really what "SJW" implies.
Of course not. The majority of complaints have had nothing to do with that. The very idea that any sort of SJW crowd makes up a significant portion of the whiners was an odd suggestion to begin with.

Mengetsu

Lucky Chloe is up there in best Engrish characters such as Terry Bogard and Blue Mary.
She needs to be in this game
AU7Amsc.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I really don't get what people have against Tekken 6, besides the long load times and the even longer home-release time.

I hated the bound system, the horrible emphasis on having lars as a main guy, even introducing him really, having azazel, that terrible abomination as an end boss, as well as what they did to the actually kinda followable story they started from 3 ending with 5.

Creaking

Oh yeah, the story was pretty stupid and I remember being really angry at Lars and Alisa back then for taking the whole limelight when they were brand-brand new and looked so stupid. I've since conditioned myself to stop caring about the Tekken story though. 4 was probably the peak, and they're never going to go back.

Azazel was a chump, true, although cheesing him with Devil Jin was fun, and I did once score a satisfying perfect as Miguel.

Bound seems to be a very subjective thing. I personally liked it, and aside from that, the rest of the game's offerings were enough to satisfy me, even after that horrible 4 year wait. The only things that really bothered me were the load times.

edit: and the game could have used more stages.

The being against cute things makes me feel uncomfortable here a lot...

Well, I'm not very into the new design that much. And it's too sexualized for me. Leo is still my favourite character. But I think I like her design more than Nina's and lots of other characters.

I always wanted Tekken to have more cute and anime style characters. So I think it's great to have a little bit more cute character. I don't much.. um... like her outfit, though..
I wish she really a loli like some people are saying. Like I would really like a flat chested character in Tekken.

Bakoery

Speaking of load times, you would think now with the unreal engine 4 the load times would drastically reduce right? right??

Creaking

Like I would really like a flat chested character in Tekken.
Jun has a pretty flat chest.

As for Chloe, I guess it's a personal thing, but I consider cuteness to be a near worthless trait--especially in regards to fighting games--and that's all I see in Chloe's design and character. Plus, I see her as another in a long line of extra reverence given to the cute characters that stems from Lili's introduction and subsequent popularity, but those thoughts are better explained elsewhere.

Speaking of load times, you would think now with the unreal engine 4 the load times would drastically reduce right? right??

Hard to say anything until the game's final version is out.

As for Chloe, I guess it's a personal thing, but I consider cuteness to be a near worthless trait--especially in regards to fighting games--and that's all I see in Chloe's design and character.
Cuteness is one of my two favourite things in life, so I like cuteness everywhere.

I don't like violent things very much. I like heartwarming things, and violence is disturbing. But in most fighting games it feels more like a friendly sport where no one really gets hurt. But just showing how strong they are. Like sparring. It feels playful, especially in games like Gem Fighter.

And I like feeling empower or things I like feeling empowered. So I like seeing cute characters in fighting games because I like seeing them empowered. I feel like cuteness can be very empowering, it's very empowering for me. It just feels so wonderful seeing cute characters being really incredibly strong and empowered.

When cute and moe characters are empowered, it feels like I'm empowered.

Creaking

Cuteness is one of my two favourite things in life, so I like cuteness everywhere.

I don't like violent things very much. I like heartwarming things, and violence is disturbing. But in most fighting games it feels more like a friendly sport where no one really gets hurt. But just showing how strong they are. Like sparring. It feels playful, especially in games like Gem Fighter.

And I like feeling empower or things I like feeling empowered. So I like seeing cute characters in fighting games because I like seeing them empowered. I feel like cuteness can be very empowering, it's very empowering for me. It just feels so wonderful seeing cute characters being really incredibly strong and empowered.

Like I said, it's a personal thing. And it's not that I hate cuteness, and that cuteness slapped on top of a well developed character ruins the whole thing. I just think that cuteness in and of itself is worthless, and often times manipulative. Feel sorry for this thing because it's cute. Adore this thing because it's cute. To me, being cute goes no further than being pleasant to look at, and even that is subjective.

To me, Lucky Chloe looks like a generic mishmash of a Japanese pop idol and a fake cat girl (another concept that I find bizarre, especially considering it's prevalence). I don't see any creativity in the design, only the source of inspiration. I see it as something we've already got in droves, and something that's probably fairly re-creatable with Xiaoyu or Lili's customizations.

In short, besides my personal distaste for the design, I don't believe that the character is adding anything to Tekken.

I guess so...

I like Japanese pop idols and catgirls. I've been a fan of Hello!Project since I was a teenager. And I like catgirls. And I would like to see Jpop be as popular worldwide as American pop.

I like her cat paws and I like twintails. But I don't like her top so much. And her skirt is a little bit short...

abadguy

Banned

Get used to it. All the pointless bitching and moaning over this one character will draw more attention to her and make her more popular. Get ready to fight a lot of Lucky Chloes online!

I just think that cuteness in and of itself is worthless, and often times manipulative. Feel sorry for this thing because it's cute. Adore this thing because it's cute. To me, being cute goes no further than being pleasant to look at, and even that is subjective.
Well, along with being one of my two favourite things in life, to me cuteness is like a kind of femininity that I like to express. It's something that I like and want to be like. I don't like using that word, because I don't like gender very much. I even used to identify as agender before I decided to identify as female. Or I guess I mean that I didn't have a gender identity and didn't like gender in any way...

And I worry that calling things feminine and masculine reinforces gender roles. When nothing should be "feminine" or "masculine". But I feel like cuteness is a part of many feminine gender roles.

When I hear people talking about having diversity, and feminists talking saying things like "feminine doesn't equal weak", I think of cuteness. To me, cuteness is a part of that. I think cuteness is a kind of femininity I like and want to be like.

And so it's something that makes me see empowered. It's kind of seeing the type of femininity I like and want to be and present as empowered. Though I'm not sure that Lucky Chloe is very empowering to that...

Astery

HolyBaikal
Japanese Culture Expert

i loled.

In short, besides my personal distaste for the design, I don't believe that the character is adding anything to Tekken.

Not everything has to add something to a game, why can't people just chill and have fun with a cheesy fighting game? it's a Japanese game not known to be all realistic and serious since forever, and whining about Japanese games have Japanese DNA in them is just ridiculous.

Creaking

Well, along with being one of my two favourite things in life, to me cuteness is like a kind of femininity that I like to express. It's something that I like and want to be like. I don't like using that word, because I don't like gender very much. I even used to identify as agender before I decided to identify as female. Or I guess I mean that I didn't have a gender identity and didn't like gender in any way...

And I worry that calling things feminine and masculine reinforces gender roles. When nothing should be "feminine" or "masculine". But I feel like cuteness is a part of many feminine gender roles.

When I hear people talking about having diversity, and feminists talking saying things like "feminine doesn't equal weak", I think of cuteness. To me, cuteness is a part of that. I think cuteness is a kind of femininity I like and want to be like.

And so it's something that makes me see empowered. It's kind of seeing the type of femininity I like and want to be and present as empowered. Though I'm not sure that Lucky Chloe is very empowering to that...

Well, I guess it's just a difference of core philosophies then. Or core interests. Something like that. I'm glad you like the character.

What is an example of adding something to Tekken then?

A fresh fighting style. Someone of a culture or from a country that hasn't been represented yet (someone African, maybe?) An age range that hasn't been represented yet (why are all of the females either teenagers or in their twenties?). A personality type that hasn't been represented yet (Xiaoyu has been doing bubbly cuteness since 3, and her Tekken Tag 2 gang only furthers that). Someone who draws the plot in a new direction. Someone that presents something that we haven't seen before.

And I'm not defending all the muscly men, and certainly not the Mishimas, but I'm looking at the future right now. What's done is done. I know that we aren't going to magically get a different character in Chloe's place. I'm just expressing my disappointment with the character in the hopes that the future of the franchise can move in a different direction.

Not everything has to add something to a game, why can't people just chill and have fun with a cheesy fighting game? it's a Japanese game not known to be all realistic and serious since forever, and whining about Japanese games have Japanese DNA in them is just ridiculous.

Maybe not, but I think it would make for a better, more worthwhile character. And I'm perfectly chilled, I'm just annoyed. I haven't called names, I haven't sent Harada angry tweets, and I haven't declared that I'm quitting Tekken forever, or even not buying Tekken 7 (because of course I'm buying it). I'm just expressing my opinion on the character and elaborating upon why I hold that opinion. My qualms have never been that the character is not realistic or outlandish (Yoshimitsu, Kuma, and Roger Jr. are some of my most-played characters), and I think it's disingenuous to say that I don't like her because of how she appeals to some of the Japanese audience.

I don't like her because I believe that many of characters we already have in the game are similar enough to her that her inclusion is almost pointless. If this were Tag Tournament 2, I wouldn't mind. Throw everyone in. But Harada is very likely cutting the roster down big time for Tekken 7, and I feel that everyone who is to be included ought to bring something worthwhile to the game. At the very least the new characters should. I recall reading that the Tekken Team wanted to have a more "well rounded" roster, but when Alisa, Lili, Xiaoyu, Asuka, and Lucky Chloe make up 70% of the female cast, it starts to seem oblong.

Astery

Maybe not, but I think it would make for a better, more worthwhile character. And I'm perfectly chilled, I'm just annoyed. I haven't called names, I haven't sent Harada angry tweets, and I haven't declared that I'm quitting Tekken forever, or even not buying Tekken 7 (because of course I'm buying it). I'm just expressing my opinion on the character and elaborating upon why I hold that opinion. My qualms have never been that the character is not realistic or outlandish (Yoshimitsu, Kuma, and Roger Jr. are some of my most-played characters), and I think it's disingenuous to say that I don't like her because of how she appeals to some of the Japanese audience.

I don't like her because I believe that many of characters we already have in the game are similar enough to her that her inclusion is almost pointless. If this were Tag Tournament 2, I wouldn't mind. Throw everyone in. But Harada is very likely cutting the roster down big time for Tekken 7, and I feel that everyone who is to be included ought to bring something worthwhile to the game. At the very least the new characters should. I recall reading that the Tekken Team wanted to have a more "well rounded" roster, but when Alisa, Lili, Xiaoyu, Asuka, and Lucky Chloe make up 70% of the female cast, it starts to seem oblong.

Yes I can see your point and you are not those extremist, fair point, but *shrugs, I think it's fair to respect the devs to do whatever they prefer to appeal to different people, even if it seems pointless to some others. There are different audience appeals for Alisa, Lili, Xiaoyu, Asuka, Lucky Chloe if you think about it, tho you might have to be an expert in Japanese culture like HolyBaikal to understand the difference.

And that, in point, wouldn't stop the team to introduce more diverse characters.

Don't be sad, I totally understand what you're saying, even if it's not a popular mindset, especially in the west.

Yes I can see your point and you are not those extremist, fair point, but *shrugs, I think it's fair to respect the devs to do whatever they prefer to appeal to different people, even if it seems pointless to some others. There are different audience appeals for Alisa, Lili, Xiaoyu, Asuka, Lucky Chloe if you think about it, tho you might have to be an expert in Japanese culture like HolyBaikal to understand the difference.

I think the concerning part is that Namco has been introducing more of these anime "audience appeals" in the last couple games. Chloe is just the most overt (and uncreative) attempt at this. While I do have aesthetic problems with that, the concern for me in this case is that they are increasingly dedicating a larger portion of their character roster to appeal to Japanese tastes, and considering this is a console title and Japan doesn't care about consoles anymore, that seems like an odd balance to strike. (I imagine Tekken is more popular in Japan arcades, but what's the revenue share between that and console sales?)

I want Tekken to continue to do well, but inwardly focusing on Japanese tastes when the bigger share of revenue comes from international markets seems short-sighted. I do think Chloe will overall be received negatively when taking into account the worldwide Tekken fanbase, and that's bad because new Tekken characters should give reasons for people to buy new Tekken titles, not avoid them.

Astery

I think the concerning part is that Namco has been introducing more of these anime "audience appeals" in the last couple games. Chloe is just the most overt (and uncreative) attempt at this. While I do have aesthetic problems with that, the concern for me in this case is that they are increasingly dedicating a larger portion of their character roster to appeal to Japanese tastes, and considering this is a console title and Japan doesn't care about consoles anymore, that seems like an odd balance to strike. (I imagine Tekken is more popular in Japan arcades, but what's the revenue share between that and console sales?)

I want Tekken to continue to do well, but inwardly focusing on Japanese tastes when the bigger share of revenue comes from international markets seems short-sighted. I do think Chloe will overall be received negatively when taking into account the worldwide Tekken fanbase, and that's bad because new Tekken characters should give reasons for people to buy new Tekken titles, not avoid them.

From how I look at it, Japanese players cares about console as much as you and I care about them. For a long time they just don't get what they like (not necessary everything moe..just in case you might have that idea) due to most publishers just went their way to handhelds for more profits, or trying to attract western players with western taste in mind (and most ended in failure on that account), or went to smartphones like most on NeoGaf are not happy with IPs they loved that went f2p mobile garbage. That doesn't mean we do not care therefore games went mobile either does it?

k3rn3ll

Neo Member
Honestly little late to this since I just got done working 24 hours str8, but I don't mind em. And I'm nOT the kind of person that normally goes for this kinda stuff, but I think it's a decent model and look good. Don't quite see why it has been necessary for sitiuation tO blow up this far. But Hey if your still reading the thread Harada San

Im 28 Year Old white Male Who Is From Kentucky, that's right kentucky. Don't really care for cute Japanese female models one way or the other. It's your game you can do what you what. But please don't let a small vocal minority decide where you put characters out at. Anyone who wants to let one character announcement affect they're overall decision of wether a game is worth it or not. Just do you man.
Ps: would appreciate it if you didn't throw a bunch of skinhead MMA Tapout models in tho. We see enough of them just going in public in NA. :)

/shieldup

Well, I guess it's just a difference of core philosophies then. Or core interests. Something like that. I'm glad you like the character.
Well, I guess so..

My philosophy I guess would be something like epicureanism or hedonism... and utilitarianism. It seems like most people believe in utilitarianism, though.

I think that deep down, everyone wants to be happy. That they want to have fun rather than be in pain. Some people say they don't... but I think maybe that's a way of coping with suffering they're sadly going through.

And I guess with being a Hedonist and a Utilitarian, I'm a Determinist, a Feminist, a Transhumanist and I'm sure some other things.

I think that while I'm a utilitarian... ethical hedonism probably explains my philosophical beliefs the best.

Though I guess that's a little bit off topic..

I want to not just do and enjoy what makes me happy. I think that everyone ought to be able to have that. Though... I guess since not everyone likes the same things, so I guess not everyone can all be happy in the same ways.. since some people some people like different things. I'm really empathetic and I value empathy.. but.. I think I have to be good to myself and do what makes me happy and support what makes me happy. Even if other people don't like it.

Part of my raison d'être is liking things like cuteness and androgyny.

Maybe it seems silly. Like it should be more intellectual or have more meaning or something like that.. ? I don't know why those things make me so happy, but there's no reason to worry about it. As long as it doesn't hurt others and it makes me happy then that's a good thing.

I guess what it means is that life doesn't have any meaning. But it doesn't have to have one. I've made my own meaning. And my meaning is feel good and to keep living.

I'm not very good at philosophy, but people like the Cyrenaics are really inspirational and influential to me. I liked their ideas. Epicureanism a little bit less so.

I think that both working hard to do amazing things and improve yourself or make life better for other people, and having simple pleasures are good, too. I think that the hard work and intellectual things are good because we have to work hard to be healthy and enjoy simple pleasures. Like if we don't work hard at science, we can't save everyone and life forever. We have to save the universe and become posthuman, I believe. Or we can't have those simple pleasures and life forever. But I think that feeling good is always the goal we should have for everyone, as much as we can, for now and eternity.

I think that passion and desire are good things. Unlike a lot of Buddhist and other philosophies. Maybe I'm an Extropianist Hedonist? I don't know... I'm not good at philosophy..

Anyway, I think that as long as you're empathetic and you want to help others and share your happiness with them, then it's good to do what makes you happy, no matter what it is. And for me it's things like cuteness. And I love cuteness so that's what I enjoy and support.

I think that anything that makes you enjoy life and doesn't hurt others is a good thing. Because it makes you want to live and enjoy life. It gives you motivation and positive energy. It gives you vitality, I think we should all want to become like unstoppable burning flames of passion that will never let themselves be put out. We were born as anti-entropic energy, and so for us, entropy is a tragic. I think that it's important that we value ourselves and our passions. I think the basic desires which give us happiness is the base that we will build on to save the universe and expand into the infinite multiverse.

I often say that I want to live forever and I think some people misunderstand me. Like I'm not happy now or I'm waiting for something. That's not true. I want to live forever because the feeling of infinite potential and happiness makes me happy. That life is good and is only getting better. That there is always hope. I don't want to ever die because I enjoy life and I don't want these feelings to end. I don't want to stop feeling good.

Oh... wow.. I kind of got off topic... didn't I.. ? I'm sorry...

Anyway... I guess what it means is that I've learned the basic things which make me happy to be alive. Why I enjoy all things I do and why they make me happy. And doing things which makes me happy and supporting them so that they're more popular and supported and prominent is the energy inside my heart the motivates me to wake up in the morning and be healthy and keep live. It's what motivates me to work and try hard.

I'm not going to give that up for anything. So I'm always going to support cute things and moe and things like that. That's my raison d'être, it's the inner fire of my existence.

So if other people don't like moe or cute things, well that makes me really sad, because that's something from the inner, deepest part of my heart. But I'm not going to let them stop me, or stop supporting them.

So I guess something like core interests and philosophies... or something like that...

Um... anyway.. about the character design... I'm actually not that big of a fan. I like her voice and the way she behaves. I want to be cute like that. Though I'm not sure I like her facial design as much.

I still like Leo the best. And Ling Xiaoyu is my second favourite character.

In Tekken 2, my favourite character was Kunimitsu. She was really cute in Tekken 2. And in Tekken 3 my favourite character was Ling Xiaoyu. And she was my favourite character until Leo Kliesen in Tekken 6.

I don't like what they did with Kunimitsu in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

By the way, I think that someone from another culture and other martial arts would be great. You know... I really like moe and cuteness.. but there's not enough black girls in anime and Japanese things... Iris from Pokemon is great. I love how she's cute and strong. But there's not many others. There's Ayukawa Miyuki... but she's needlessly sexualized. And there's nothing wrong with sexualization... but I wish we could have more characters a little more like Iris instead...

I'd love to have an anime about a character like Ayukawa Miyuki... but without all the sexualization. There's no reason that she had to have huge breasts and that they had to show them all the time, too. :/ And in video games, too. I'd love it if fighting games or Japanese RPGs or other Japanese games had characters like her.

I'd love to play a Japanese RPG starring a moe black girl. There's Ayukawa Miyuki and Iris and Elena, and there's lot of black characters in Michiko to Hatchin...

:<

It would also be neat to have some stories that are about and have things from African culture, and not just Europe and Asia. I'd love to see more stories about African characters and their culture that's empowering. And in fighting games, too. Black girls can be just as moe as white girls and Asian girls. And black boys... too..

I think that there should also be more body types. We have a fat male.. but no fat females. Or much older female characters. It would also be really nice to have really muscular female characters. There are so many characters with large breasts, why can't one of them have pecs?

I just think that Lucky Chloe is kind of fun and I like her better than a lot of other characters. I don't like her top, but Nina and Anna are sexualized, too. I like her a lot better. Nina and Anna have always been some of my least favourite characters in Tekken, actually.

i dont understand why the hate? can anyone elaborate ?

i quite like it personally :p

Some people don't like her design, they find her voice annoying, and stated that she doesn't fit into Tekken. Its probably the same people who doesn't like Lili, Alisa, and Lars design. To be honest, I'm not bothered by her addition to Tekken 7.

i dont understand why the hate? can anyone elaborate ?

i quite like it personally :p
For me, it's just another reminder that Tekken is lacking in the character design and aesthetic department. The character herself could have been cool... along with Alisa (maybe her alt as her main?) and Lars (didn't everyone like his partner?)

But seeing her design ingame, it shows how ugly Tekken has been despite updated hardware. They rely on texture-starved, jokey customizations to add "personality" to the characters to the point of the cast looking stale year after year, game after game of seeing the same design. Why not just patch and update the last Tekken if design doesn't matter?

ChuggaCC

Neo Member
At some points, I can see where people are coming from, and at some points, I just have to shake my head. I'd certainly enjoy seeing wildly original and creative character designs, but I don't understand why people don't like Lucky Chloe's design this much. She seems fairly interesting, and I'd very much like to see her play a fast style full of dodges and mixups. In all honesty, I need a lean, muscular, deep voiced woman in her late eighties as a boxer or muay-thai fighter, but nobody ever gets their true desires.

Some people don't like her design, they find her voice annoying, and stated that she doesn't fit into Tekken. Its probably the same people who doesn't like Lili, Alisa, and Lars design. To be honest, I'm not bothered by her addition to Tekken 7.
How does she not fit? This is a series that has had a boxing Kangaroo, a boxing Raptor, a bear, a panda, and jaguar masked wrestler. Anybody who's taking this franchise THAT serious seriously needs to get an operation to remove that stick from up their asses, pronto!

Honestly i'm a bit taken aback..
frankly ttt2 roster was:
59 characters, and even removing clone char//reskin with minor change the final number is.. 30 to 40, and that's with me considering angel, devil, devil jin as one chara, kazuya and heiachi as one, forest and marshal law as one chara, etc..
tekken 7 will have 27..
now applying the same criteria the roster and crossing out whoever is included even in a sort of "cloned" form, we're left without

Alex // Roger Jr.
Ancient Ogre // Ogre
Anna Williams // Nina Williams
Bruce Irvin
Bob // Slim Bob
Craig Marduk
Dr. Bosconovitch c
Eddy Gordo //Tiger Jackson // Christie Monteiro
Ganryu
Jaycee
Jinpachi Mishima
Kuma // Panda
Kunimitsu
Lee Chaolan
Lei Wulong
Michelle Chang
Miguel
Raven
Sebastian
Unknown // Mokujin // Combot
Violet
Wang Jinrei
Zafina

sighhhhh ;_;
no raven? no zafina? no michelle nor julia? no frigging lei???? no eddy or eddy alike?? no eddy or any capoeira char???
sighhh

Top Bottom