• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 7 ships over 2 million copies

Neoxon

Sales usually don't drive what gets picked up in fighting game eSports, at least in a major way.

Otherwise it would be Smash followed by Netherrealm fighters with everything else far behind.
Smash does enjoy a solid amount of esports success, but you're generally right.

Sales usually don't drive what gets picked up in fighting game eSports, at least in a major way.

Otherwise it would be Smash followed by Netherrealm fighters with everything else far behind.

tbf, Smash is the second (and third) most popular fighter in the tourney scene behind Street Fighter.

Pepin

Am I right in thinking Harada once made comments about bringing T7 to Switch?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

True though Smash is actually the top fighting game at EVO by entries if you combine both entries since melee will never die.

NEO0MJ

What's wrong with the PS4 version?

The worst loading times and input latency in the history of fighting games,

I'd like to add framerate drops/stuttering if you're not on the Pro.

When is Geese arriving?

I think they said December?

Considering how bad it performs on current consoles the Switch can probably only handle it at 600p or so, docked.

Neoxon

The worst loading times and input latency in the history of fighting games,
While the former could be argued as being a UE4 problem, the latter was definitely a UE4 problem, one that Epic recently fixed in the latest build of UE4. The problem is that the likes of Capcom, Bandai Namco, & Arc System Works (for DBFZ, not GGXrd) would have to go back & port everything over to the latest build just to decrease the input delay.

BigEmil

I'd like to add framerate drops/stuttering if you're not on the Pro.
I play it on OG PS4 and never experienced drops or stuttering when and where do you encounter this? Also it being tournament standard I'm sure they wouldn't let this happen

Neoxon

I don't recall any similar quotes (if someone could link me to one, that'd be greatly appreciated). But considering that Tekken 7 can't even hit 1080p on the base PS4, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Draga

DAfQmQ4XkAA-cMP.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't recall any similar quotes (if someone could link me to one, that'd be greatly appreciated). But considering that Tekken 7 can't even hit 1080p on the base PS4, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I mean they custom port for the 3DS. Where there's a will there's a way. I just highly doubt there's a will.

mas8705

Is there any chance T7 or DBFZ (if similarly successful) could become Evo main event? Does Capcom have too much influence?

Considering that Tekken 7 was already featured on Sunday, I think it would be safe to assume that it has already achieved being a "Main Event" game. Meanwhile depending on just how much hype that is generated for DBFZ, it could easily be on Sunday's Lineup too while forcing GG or BB to fight for that other slot on Saturday.

Now... If we are talking about THE! Main Event, I'll say, "Don't hold your breath." Nothing against those games of course, but considering the turnout that Street Fighter Games get at EVO, it goes without saying that it does close out EVO for a reason (and not just because of Capcom's influence). Mind you that if we were to see a case where one game somehow got many more entries than SF, that would be interesting to see what would happen there. However, it is still the night of SF when we get ready for the last game.

---

On topic, kudos to Harada and his team on this joyous milestone. All that hard work getting Tekken 7 has paid off for them. ^_^

NEO0MJ

For me at least, that only lasted for a short while after a patch introduced it, but the next patch fixed it for me too.

I play it on OG PS4 and never experienced drops or stuttering when and where do you encounter this? Also it being tournament standard I'm sure they wouldn't let this happen

It was a long time ago. I actually play it on PC but for convenience I had my friend bring it a couple of months ago when we were sitting in my house and sometimes I felt that there was something wrong with the framerate. If they fixed it now that's great.

Audioserf

Man I wonder how they manage to front the production budget for the game, plus advertising, and then put on the Tekken World Tour events, put up the prize pools, pay commentators, organize the equipment for twitch streams etc etc.

I mean, it can't all be from event sponsors. I really wish these games had a bigger audience. Thankfully what the FGC lacks in size, it makes up for with crazy dedication and passion.

Bakercat

Glad to hear it doing good. I rented it for a few days and played a little and I enjoyed it very much. I'll wait until it goes down to $20 though cause I don't play online and just causally play fighting games every once and awhile.

There's indeed a slight chance of Harada telling us overall numbers, but I'll take it from him instead of assuming it is, especially when asked only about consoles.

Till then, it's 2M+ on consoles and 300,000+ on PC.

cordy

Banned
Capcom runs the FGC. Doesn't matter how popular other games get, doesn't matter how many sales other games get, doesn't matter if Capcom releases a bad fighter, the FGC will always support them regardless. It's like an abused girlfriend always going back to the dude. Yeah there's options but people love that stuff.

lupinko

What's wrong with the PS4 version?

PS4 is fine unless you want to play it in 4K native.

If it was really that terrible then it would not be used in tournaments.

And the game has always had input lag, even the arcade version does, it's just that arcade players just stopped giving a shit. With regards to home versions it's the issue with various pcbs on joysticks and whatnot.

Technical wise the game is a rock solid 60fps, you can watch digital foundry for that. PS4 amateur and Xbone run less than 1080p, Pro runs at 1080p, PC can go up to 4K.

As someone who has played and continues to play the arcade version (because imo all the home versions pc included are ass for various reasons), it's fine.

Just think about it, if it was really that bad, then they wouldn't be using it in official sponsored tourneys with cash prizes. They could have Pros setup or PC towers, but guess what, they don't!

Neoxon

Good for them! Now Namco needs to announce a Switch version or ill be forced to get a PS4 again.
As mentioned earlier, the game can’t hit 1080p on the regular PS4. A Switch port would have to make a shit-ton of sacrifices (maybe even be sub-HD docked) for it to work.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The PSP also sold 80 million units.

Took them forever to bring T7 to consoles so who knows if they see a handheld port as worth it these days.
The 3DS also got a port when it was nowhere near that amount. It's not about amount of consoles sold.

I thought tekken was 8 too?
~7.2 frames

How are the issues with the PS4 version? Are they exaggerated here or are they negligible for the most part?
Depends on how "hardcore" you are. If you just want a game to press buttons and fuck around, it's perfectly fine.

But if you're more "hardcore" then the input delay and the long loading times certainly hamper the experience if you want to play online a lot.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I was very surprised it wasn't announced for Switch from the start until I saw how poorly it ran on Xbox One and PS4.
I think that was a case of Namco chasing heavily after graphical fidelity. I doubt the initial Arcade versions were that intensive as there was quite a substantial upgrade.

I think that was a case of Namco chasing heavily after graphical fidelity. I doubt the initial Arcade versions were that intensive as there was quite a substantial upgrade.

Yeah. I'm not saying that a Switch port will never come. I'd personally welcome it (and would probably buy an absurd third copy of the game). But I'm just saying when the Xbox One and PS4 seemed to be struggling with the port, coupled with the fact that Tag 2 on the Wii U sold something in the neighborhood of 10 copies worldwide (yes, that's hyperbole, but the game's sales were awful) probably made not initially targeting Switch an easy call.

~7.2 frames

Depends on how "hardcore" you are. If you just want a game to press buttons and fuck around, it's perfectly fine.

But if you're more "hardcore" then the input delay and the long loading times certainly hamper the experience if you want to play online a lot.
Thanks.

I just plan to fuck around online and get the plat. Sounds like I'm in the clear.

Top Bottom