• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

MrFlooD

Hi Guys,

Im a very happy owner of a B6 and have managed to tune 'Game' mode to my liking, however Im struggling with 'HDR Game'.

Basically I have set HDR Game to the recommended settings (Via Digital Foundry), however when I switch back and forth between 'HDR Game' and 'HDR Bright' (with a game like HZD on the screen) the difference is massive. HDR Game looks muddy by comparison.

Within HDR Bright I have all the artificial settings turned off and really don't notice any lag at all. Anyone else NOT using the HDR Game mode, or have found a way to get the picture to look acceptable?

The latest B6 firmware broke HDR in game mode. You can try rolling back tke previous to fix. Lots of threads of AVSForums about it.

Bustanen

I thought the B6 didn't have the dim game mode bug? I don't see any difference in brightness between HDR game and bright modes.. I think it might be the games themselves. No issues in FFXV, NMS, Resogun, Deus Ex or FH3.

Newest firmware downloaded from LG EU site.

MrFlooD

I thought the B6 didn't have the dim game mode bug? I don't see any difference in brightness between HDR game and bright modes.. I think it might be the games themselves. No issues in FFXV, NMS, Resogun, Deus Ex or FH3.

Newest firmware downloaded from LG site.

Don't think it's about being DIM, think it's using the incorrect colour space while in HDR.

Nope. Stop worrying :p

Why?

I don't understand why uncharted 4 - before modification to support hdr - looked wrong, unless I disable hdmi ultra-deep color.
Also don't understand why it's a setting that is off by default. If it's off, does HDR on the PS4 get suppressed by default? Then I bet a lot of people won't realise they aren't getting hdr.

Why isn't it negotiated under Auto?

Don't think it's about being DIM, think it's using the incorrect colour space while in HDR.

well it wasn't obviously wrong until I went into the dark area. I climbed the tower and admired the view etc everything looked ok. Then went down into the dark part and was like hold on this is all wrong.

here is the setting page
http://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/product-help/CT20098005-1437131182045-menu-settings

basically by default, off, it forces color 4:2:0
on, it allows 3 modes including 4:4:4 which the PS4 happily uses and HDR games look good. I think.

however this page
https://www.avforums.com/threads/hdmi-deep-colour-on-or-off.1376483/
says there is almost no point to enable it. In which case the PS4 Pro warning is misleading and should not ask people to fiddle with the TV settings?

and yet this page
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...w-to-display-4k-hdr-on-an-lg-tv/#202869366dda

says it definitely should be ON for HDR on 4k.

What a confusing mess.

I'm struggling to find information on this so feel like asking might be interesting:

In terms of peak brightness, how big would the difference between a 2011 led and a decent 2017 TV be? I can't find any numbers for 2011.

Is the UK Samsung MU6400 the same model as the US Samsung MU7000? If so, what is the deal with the UK Samsung MU6470? It looks the same, but it's £80 dearer for the same size (40").

SnakeNL

The latest B6 firmware broke HDR in game mode. You can try rolling back tke previous to fix. Lots of threads of AVSForums about it.

Wasn't that voor the C and i think E Series.
The B serie has another SOC thats why we always get the update later.

Macaco84

Well, i got my replacement sony xe90 today (65 inch) as the old one suffered from a noticeable vertical line running down the middle of the tv:

OXl7LeI.jpg

Well guess what? The new one has got exactly the same problem! This must be a general issue with the panel manufacturing or assembly process. As it is highly unlikely i would get the same fault twice in a row.

The problem is, it isnt really a major fault. It is only really noticeable when viewing content that pans eg football matches or playing an fps. The image above was captured in a completely dark room. In daylight it is much less noticeable. And even then most people probably wouldnt see it. But i am as picky as they come - i easily pick up on things like this.

But i blew £2500 on this tv. So i really dont know what to do.

Should i just accept this tv isnt for me if i cant live with this? There are literally no devent alternative 65 inch tvs at this price point that offer the same value as the sony. It is a really good tv aside from this.

Agh decisions.

(Thought i would post my replacement tv - just as bad as the old)

7LGeuRt.jpg

Pretty sure the X900E is considered an upgrade overall, albeit perhaps not a very big one.

According to rtings.com:

rtings said:
The Samsung KS8000 was our top recommended TV last year and, if you can still find it in stores, will be a slightly better choice over the X900E. Its blacks are deeper and even more uniform, and it's able to produce colors that are even more saturated. Most people will be pleased with either TV, but the KS8000 is a slightly better pick since it is cheaper.

The FALD on the Sony looks awesome but if your insurance covers a replacement with another KS8000, you'll be okay for now.

aravuus

KS8000 is something like KS7000 (like this one) in Europe, right? It's currently my backup choice if the OLED plan falls through for some reason.

It has those dumbass side stands which are probably just the tiniest bit too wide for my small (120cm wide) TV stand though, so I'm gonna have to do some weird hocus pocus if it comes to that.

Kyoufu

@Macaco84

I think there was (is?) a deal in the UK for the ZD9 at £2600. I'd return that XE90 and get the ZD9 at that price.

TheBoss1

According to rtings.com:

The FALD on the Sony looks awesome but if your insurance covers a replacement with another KS8000, you'll be okay for now.

Pretty sure you can't go wrong with either TV, but RTINGS definitely undervalue motion and upscaling. Almost all their TVs are rated the the same or similar when it comes to both categories unless it's different tech, like OLED vs LCD. I've read numerous times about the motion and upscaling being rough on the KS8000 while I almost always hear about any decent Sony being the cream of the crop in those categories.

I hear the same things about the differences between the OLED TVs from both Sony and LG as well from consumers.

Macaco84

@Macaco84

I think there was (is?) a deal in the UK for the ZD9 at £2600. I'd return that XE90 and get the ZD9 at that price.

Thanks for the heads up. What store is that? Although i am nervous about sony panels now. Just cant believe i have had an identical issue (to the nearest milimetre!) on two tvs.

I do wonder whether a lot of other xe90 owners have this issue but dont realise it as its one of those "once you see it you cant unsee it" but you may not see it if you dont play games or always watch the screen dead on centre or always watch in daylight etc.

MazeHaze

Banned
Pretty sure you can't go wrong with either TV, but RTINGS definitely undervalue motion and upscaling. Almost all their TVs are rated the the same or similar when it comes to both categories unless it's different tech, like OLED vs LCD. I've read numerous times about the motion and upscaling being rough on the KS8000 while I almost always hear about any decent Sony being the cream of the crop in those categories.

I hear the same things about the differences between the OLED TVs from both Sony and LG as well from consumers.
Sony definitely has better motion handling, but the upscaling on the KS8000 is actually phenomenal. I'd say it's on par with Sony in that regard.

Kyoufu

Thanks for the heads up. What store is that? Although i am nervous about sony panels now. Just cant believe i have had an identical issue (to the nearest milimetre!) on two tvs.

I do wonder whether a lot of other xe90 owners have this issue but dont realise it as its one of those "once you see it you cant unsee it" but you may not see it if you dont play games or always watch the screen dead on centre or always watch in daylight etc.

Currys. Something about a 25% off deal when you add a JVC TV or something. I saw it on AVForums in the ZD9 owners thread.

I would definitely get the ZD9 for that price over the XE90. Absolute no-brainer!

Newest firmware downloaded from LG EU site.

It for sure has. I tried out games like Gears 4, Injustice 2, Horizon ZD and as soon as we enabled game mode the nice and vibrant bright picture you'd normally get was totally gone. As if Xbox One's own dimmer had activated. It was especially horrible in Gears 4's main menu with JD in front of you and overall in Horizon ZD really badly too.

I am planning to buy 2 4k tv's for my living room. My wife and I both game and we are going to buy 2 Xbox One X's when they come out. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for 2 65'' 4k TV's that would be good for gaming. There was a TLC TV that we were looking at but we were worried about it only being 60 HZ. We are hoping to spend less then $2000 total for both TV's.

Macaco84

Currys. Something about a 25% off deal when you add a JVC TV or something. I saw it on AVForums in the ZD9 owners thread.

I would definitely get the ZD9 for that price over the XE90. Absolute no-brainer!

Sounds good but cant find the deal on their store online. The best i get is £3300.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It for sure has. I tried out games like Gears 4, Injustice 2, Horizon ZD and as soon as we enabled game mode the nice and vibrant bright picture you'd normally get was totally gone. As if Xbox One's own dimmer had activated. It was especially horrible in Gears 4's main menu with JD in front of you and overall in Horizon ZD really badly too.

Hmmm. I don't believe the B6 was given the firmware wth that bug tho...

TheBoss1

Sony definitely has better motion handling, but the upscaling on the KS8000 is actually phenomenal. I'd say it's on par with Sony in that regard.
Yeah that was the best bang for buck TV last year, so the X900E is just replacing it's status this year. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either.
I am planning to buy 2 4k tv's for my living room. My wife and I both game and we are going to buy 2 Xbox One X's when they come out. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for 2 65'' 4k TV's that would be good for gaming. There was a TLC TV that we were looking at but we were worried about it only being 60 HZ. We are hoping to spend less then $2000 total for both TV's.

I don't know if it's possible to get two 65" 4K 120 HZ panels for a total of $2,000 unless you find a great deal/sale going on or look for older models.

MazeHaze

Banned
I mean, if you want to pay less than 1000 dollars for a decent 65 inch 4k TV, you're gonna have to settle for things like only being 60 hz. That shouldn't matter for gaming really though, games on the xbox will only run at 60 fps.

A few years ago I bought a Sony KDL-55W900A. Recently I lost the remote and the tv doesn't have buttons on it, so it's literally unusable. I've tried searching online but none of the remotes are exactly the same. They'll probably work anyway but I'm anal and want the exact same remote. All the ones I'm finding look very similar but with 1-2 different buttons. Anyone know how to go about finding the correct remote?

Edit: I think I found it.

http://www.remotecontrols.com/product/RM-YD087.html

Is this website reputable?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Damn, two 65" 4K TVs in the same room, that's something.

But yeah, except for TLC there are no particularly good 4K TVs at $1000 AFAIK, at least not at 65". At 55" you might be able to get something if you find a good deal.

aravuus

Damn this dim HDR Game Mode talk lol, making me second guess myself and lean towards the B7. Just to be sure: the LG B7 doesn't have any problems with its HDR Game Mode, right? It's nice and bright and has tiny input lag? Now that I've been thinking of it, a bad HDR for games definitely is a deal breaker.

Since it also seems to have less image retention/burn-in problems and less aggressive ABL to the point of being unnoticeable, I think I could justify throwing the extra hundreds for it. Also I could go and get it like tomorrow.

Damn this dim HDR Game Mode talk lol, making me second guess myself and lean towards the B7. Just to be sure: the LG B7 doesn't have any problems with its HDR Game Mode, right? It's nice and bright and has tiny input lag? Now that I've been thinking of it, a bad HDR for games definitely is a deal breaker.

Since it also seems to have less image retention/burn-in problems and less aggressive ABL to the point of being unnoticeable, I think I could justify throwing the extra hundreds for it. Also I could go and get it like tomorrow.

It's not the tv. It's the lg firmware.

Well, i got my replacement sony xe90 today (65 inch) as the old one suffered from a noticeable vertical line running down the middle of the tv:

OXl7LeI.jpg

Well guess what? The new one has got exactly the same problem! This must be a general issue with the panel manufacturing or assembly process. As it is highly unlikely i would get the same fault twice in a row.

The problem is, it isnt really a major fault. It is only really noticeable when viewing content that pans eg football matches or playing an fps. The image above was captured in a completely dark room. In daylight it is much less noticeable. And even then most people probably wouldnt see it. But i am as picky as they come - i easily pick up on things like this.

But i blew £2500 on this tv. So i really dont know what to do.

Should i just accept this tv isnt for me if i cant live with this? There are literally no devent alternative 65 inch tvs at this price point that offer the same value as the sony. It is a really good tv aside from this.

Agh decisions.

(Thought i would post my replacement tv - just as bad as the old)

7LGeuRt.jpg

I went through like 5-7 Sony x850 last year. I made them open them up before buying and they all had dead pixel(s) and that line down the center. It's like they fuse the panel together with 2 pieces. I would just return and find something else.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I went through like 5-7 Sony x850 last year. I made them open them up before buying and they all had dead pixel(s) and that line down the center. It's like they fuse the panel together with 2 pieces. I would just return and find something else.

Was that also a 65"? Wondering if this might be something specific to that panel size...? All reviews of the X900E (and the X930E) seem to be of the 55", and I have seen no mention of anything like this.

Tater

I just got a 10% coupon for Best Buy, which would bring the cost of the C7 down to $1980. I'm really close to pulling the trigger to replace my 10 year old 42" Sharp Aquos, but I'm seriously debating waiting for HDMI 2.1 to be present.

Anyone think it's worth holding out for the newer spec, given that it's less than a year away?

Schlomo

With equivalent settings, it looks about the same as Cinema HDR mode to me. There have been others claiming it's "dim" on their B7 too, but I suspect they are comparing different settings.

Rahvar

Ok, so I was pretty much set on getting the B6 but going through the last few pages I am starting to question with image retention and bad HDR patches.

Primary use will be gaming, I play to play A LOT of Destiny 2 and don't really want retention on the UI. Secondary use is movies, me and my wife watch at least 3-5 movies a week.
Third use is sports, football (soccer) and Formula 1.
I got Netflix, Crunchyroll and HBO Nordic and a PS4 Pro.

I'm looking at either the LG OLED55B6V or the Sony Bravia KD-55XE9005. They are both priced about the same here in Sweden, about $2000. Hoping to get either down to around $1600 by Black Friday.

Any reason I should pick one above the other?

EDIT: Reading the reviews from rtings.com I ama bit worried about the bad viewing angle and sound on the Sony, I do not really fancy a soundbar and I do sit a couple feet of centre when I play.

DirtyLarry

Okay Gaf. I definitely need your help.

My wife gave me the okay to get a new TV.
Long story short my parents lived with us for over 2 years, they just moved out, so the room that was their main room is now becoming my office (I primarily WFH) / 2nd family living room.

I currently have a 65" Vizio M65C1. It has been an okay TV and has done me okay for the past 2 years. But it lacks HDR.

So the new TV will be 4K and HDR as well. Preferably it will stay 65"
I have an XBox One S. PS4 Pro. Switch. I no doubt will be gaming on the TV as well.
Will also be picking up a One X. So yeah, I am pretty sure HDR is a must have. But there is something holding me back. More on that below*

The only "catch," if you can even call it that, is I have to keep it under $2,000.

So based on my research and things I have read on this very website, I am leaning towards a Sony XBR65X900E. I can get it for exactly $2,000. Even better I can get it in person as it is on sale this weekend. As far as I can see $2000 is also the same price on Amazon, so I do not have to worry about delivery etc. I can just pick it up.

* Or, I do not get the XBR65X900E (or similar TV, open to suggestions) and just pick up a 4K TV for under $1000 and if I can somehow get HDR great, but I am not expecting to do so in that price range. The one and only reason to do this... It tides me over until LG's OLED's are a bit more reasonable in price. This "less expensive (probably) non HDR" TV can be used for the next year or so until I can afford an OLED. I absolutely love, hell I adore, the LG OLED TV's. I just cannot justify spending so much money on a TV right now.

So that is my dilemma GAF. Do I just say fuck it and take the plunge to HDR right now and spend $2000 and not get an OLED? Or do I wait about a year or so, wait until the LG's (or other companies) come down in price, and live with a non HDR TV to wait for OLED??

Also please realize I am also very open to other suggestions about a TV to pick up besides the XBR65X900E above. I am absolutely open to other suggestions.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I want to do this right. I also need to make a decision pretty damn soon so we can get this other room setup.

Ok, so I was pretty much set on getting the B6 but going through the last few pages I am starting to question with image retention and bad HDR patches.

Primary use will be gaming, I play to play A LOT of Destiny 2 and don't really want retention on the UI. Secondary use is movies, me and my wife watch at least 3-5 movies a week.
Third use is sports, football (soccer) and Formula 1.
I got Netflix, Crunchyroll and HBO Nordic and a PS4 Pro.

I'm looking at either the LG OLED55B6V or the Sony Bravia KD-55XE9005. They are both priced about the same here in Sweden, about $2000. Hoping to get either down to around $1600 by Black Friday.

Any reason I should pick one above the other?

EDIT: Reading the reviews from rtings.com I ama bit worried about the bad viewing angle and sound on the Sony, I do not really fancy a soundbar and I do sit a couple feet of centre when I play.

For retention you only need to pay attention to apps like Youtube, Crunchyroll etc. where some pictures are much brighter than other things. Bright red, yellow etc give my 65B6 retention pretty easily but it goes away very quick too. Furthermore, i've been playing Diablo 3 quite a bit with OLED Light and contrast set at max and that game has plenty of static hud elements and none of that gave retention.

Was that also a 65"? Wondering if this might be something specific to that panel size...? All reviews of the X900E (and the X930E) seem to be of the 55", and I have seen no mention of anything like this.

Yep 65" size. It was obvious just your pics on each one of them. Finally gave up and went oled. So glad I spent the extra money.

Mrbob

I just got a 10% coupon for Best Buy, which would bring the cost of the C7 down to $1980. I'm really close to pulling the trigger to replace my 10 year old 42" Sharp Aquos, but I'm seriously debating waiting for HDMI 2.1 to be present.

Anyone think it's worth holding out for the newer spec, given that it's less than a year away?

There is speculation but no one knows. The HDMI 2.1 spec hasn't been finalized yet. Or if the TVs next year will have full HDMI 2.1 spec. It's a big guessing game. You have to determine how badly you want those HDMI 2.1 features and if that is worth the wait. If you buy a TV every 10 years, I'd probably wait. If you buy a new TV every 5 years that's where it gets more interesting. Because it might take a couple years for TVs to implement full HDMI 2.1 spec with devices out there that actually use HDMI 2.1. Even if you buy a "HDMI 2.1" TV in 2018, it may not handle all HDMI 2.1 functionality. We have to wait for more information.

MAX PAYMENT

Define reasonably? Everyone has a different definition so it's hard to recommend anything without a budget range in mind.

Going by your name I imagine you'll have no problem with a Sony ZD9. :p

Ha, the opposite really.

Less than 1000. Maybe 1200 if it was great bang for buck.

Stiler

Long story short my parents lived with us for over 2 years, they just moved out, so the room that was their main room is now becoming my office (I primarily WFH) / 2nd family living room.

I currently have a 65" Vizio M65C1. It has been an okay TV and has done me okay for the past 2 years. But it lacks HDR.

I have an XBox One S. PS4 Pro. Switch. I no doubt will be gaming on the TV as well.
Will also be picking up a One X. So yeah, I am pretty sure HDR is a must have. But there is something holding me back. More on that below*

The only "catch," if you can even call it that, is I have to keep it under $2,000.

So based on my research and things I have read on this very website, I am leaning towards a Sony XBR65X900E. I can get it for exactly $2,000. Even better I can get it in person as it is on sale this weekend. As far as I can see $2000 is also the same price on Amazon, so I do not have to worry about delivery etc. I can just pick it up.

* Or, I do not get the XBR65X900E (or similar TV, open to suggestions) and just pick up a 4K TV for under $1000 and if I can somehow get HDR great, but I am not expecting to do so in that price range. The one and only reason to do this... It tides me over until LG's OLED's are a bit more reasonable in price. This "less expensive (probably) non HDR" TV can be used for the next year or so until I can afford an OLED. I absolutely love, hell I adore, the LG OLED TV's. I just cannot justify spending so much money on a TV right now.

So that is my dilemma GAF. Do I just say fuck it and take the plunge to HDR right now and spend $2000 and not get an OLED? Or do I wait about a year or so, wait until the LG's (or other companies) come down in price, and live with a non HDR TV to wait for OLED??

Also please realize I am also very open to other suggestions about a TV to pick up besides the XBR65X900E above. I am absolutely open to other suggestions.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I want to do this right. I also need to make a decision pretty damn soon so we can get this other room setup.

If you can wait, TCL's 65" version of their popular p series is coming out later this year. It's going to be $1,000 and will have 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision and have FALD just like thee 55" one that's currently out (rtings best budget 4k tv atm, especially with their low input lag).

That should easily tide you over if you want to make the leap to OLED in the future but want a decent 4k tv right now.

That is exactly what I am doing, getting the TCL so I can enjoy 4k/hdr movies and games right now but budgeting so that I can splurge on a good OLED , mainly when HDMI 2.1 comes out sometime next year and is supposed to be the next big thing for tv's.

DirtyLarry

If you can wait, TCL's 65" version of their popular p series is coming out later this year. It's going to be $1,000 and will have 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision and have FALD just like thee 55" one that's currently out (rtings best budget 4k tv atm, especially with their low input lag).

That should easily tide you over if you want to make the leap to OLED in the future but want a decent 4k tv right now.

That is exactly what I am doing, getting the TCL so I can enjoy 4k/hdr movies and games right now but budgeting so that I can splurge on a good OLED , mainly when HDMI 2.1 comes out sometime next year and is supposed to be the next big thing for tv's.
Damn. I really, really like the sounds of this. So just to confirm, the current 55" you mention, is it this one, the 55P605??

EDIT - Or I see a higher model number on Amazon, which is also great in price. This is the P607.

EDIT 2 - I see thanks to a thread on GAF, they are the same TV, just different remotes. I can live without an Enhanced Remote for $80, especially since I use Cortana voice for everything right now.

If so, I am going to pick it up now. $600-$700 is right, I get HDR, and it lets me wait for the OLED (and HDMI 2.1 as you pointed out). I also need to get a entertainment stand still, a receiver or sound bar, so I still need all that other stuff, so this is the more prudent move and my wife will be extra happy if I keep the TV lower in price.

I do think going down to a 55" will be okay, as I kind of need something in this other room sooner rather than later, and the room we will primarily be in does have a smaller viewing distance than the other room. So I can put my current Vizio in this other room, use the 55" for myself and my wife's room (our current room) and be done with it.

If you can confirm which model is the TV you are talking about right now that supports HDR, it would be appreciated.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

I have the 65inch x900e and it's amazing. It's worth getting, especially over the TCL which has far inferior picture quality. If you want picture quality, the Sony wins hands down.

You will be happy with the Tv for many years. I use it for gaming on my Pro, Xb1S, and 4k blu Rays. It's truly a fucking awesome tv.

Do. It.

Top Bottom