• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

ApharmdX

Banned
It's because of the price. IMy budget is 2K and I can get the LG OLED for 55 C7.
But yeah, I wish the price of the 65 OLED was better... Outside my realm right now.

For the OS. I don't use it and won't use it much. I have an Nvidia Shield TV that does everything media related for me + game streaming.

The 65" B7A (and maybe the B7 and C7) should hit $2k at least once this holiday season. If you can wait a month and change until Thanksgiving weekend you can probably have a 65" OLED for what you'll pay for a mid-range Sony LCD now. Or, if you want an LCD, there may be sales that allow you to move up in range on the Sony LCDs.

julrik

Wait, all this talk in the thread of people prefering the X900E over the LG C7. Can someone state their reasons? Or is it because they can get larger panels at the same price point?

Is there any advantage of the Sony X900 over the LG C7? Thought OLED would be the sure decision for a Movie and Gaming TV
- Cheaper
- Brighter
- Better near-black uniformity
- Better motion
- Better upscaling
- No ABL

I have a 2016 OLED, and compared to that, the X900 has a couple of more positives:

- Better shadow detail
- Option to calibrate Game Mode

Which is why I'm going to buy one on BF.

The 65" B7A (and maybe the B7 and C7) should hit $2k at least once this holiday season. If you can wait a month and change until Thanksgiving weekend you can probably have a 65" OLED for what you'll pay for a mid-range Sony LCD now. Or, if you want an LCD, there may be sales that allow you to move up in range on the Sony LCDs.

I would be very, very, very surprised to see a price that low, unless you're counting the fly by night guys and hoping for a credit card match.

Maybe early next year when new models roll out and X7's go clearance.

Kermy

I would be very, very, very surprised to see a price that low, unless you're counting the fly by night guys and hoping for a credit card match.

Maybe early next year when new models roll out and X7's go clearance.

It’s already close to $2k. Beach Camera has it for $2200 just by calling in.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It’s already close to $2k. Beach Camera has it for $2200 just by calling in.

Is beach camera actually a reliable retailer? I remember people saying they sold grey market goods, or worse repackaged stuff. I never knew if that was true though, curious to know.

Pagusas

Elden Member
- Cheaper
- Brighter
- Better near-black uniformity
- Better motion
- Better upscaling
- No ABL

I have a 2016 OLED, and compared to that, the X900 has a couple of more positives:

- Better shadow detail
- Option to calibrate Game Mode

Which is why I'm going to buy one on BF.

Now some of those things surprise me. Specifically the better motion part. How so? Most Sony VA panels, including their flagship 940e and z9d have some of the worst motion handling in the industry in terms of actual pixel to pixel performance. The trails on these panels are very obvious when dealing with grey on grey motion. Rting shows it in detail.

Ashhong

Is beach camera actually a reliable retailer? I remember people saying they sold grey market goods, or worse repackaged stuff. I never knew if that was true though, curious to know.

As far as I know they are an authorized retailer of LG so it's 100% reliable

It's because of the price. IMy budget is 2K and I can get the LG OLED for 55 C7.
But yeah, I wish the price of the 65 OLED was better... Outside my realm right now.

I'm basically in the same boat as you, and hoping that the 65 inch B7 falls in price, or does so at a retailer that Best Buy will price match with.

Im thinking of grabbing the LG C7 myself, as thats the only model that shops here sell that i like and know is decent.

My Question is, is a soundbar truely needed, and if so, whats the best one i can get for a decent price?

ElNino

I haven't seen the B7 the same price as C7 anywhere...but the B7 also has the silver trim around the screen. I agree it doesn't seem necessary to have both models
Interesting, when I was shopping around every one had both models for the exact same price. And when they went on sale, everyone had the exact same sale price or promo (presumably coming from LG)

What's the best way to prove the lower price if its an online retailer without a dated ad? I sent a screen cap, but it didn't have the date on it. Would a wider one with the computer date at the bottom right suffice?

Asking here since it's been brought up several times before.

Edit - The reason I ask is because their response said they attempted to "locate the advertisement" on my behalf, which sounds like BS, because a quick google search would've shown the retailer (EbuyUSA) and the price.

muggen76

So today i decided to visit the stores to check out the sets that catched my eye. Was leaning towards Sony x900e for my gaming and tv needs before the visit. But now after its hard to ignore the iq of the LG B7 oled,damn!how much of a problem is this dim HDR gamemode ive been reading abort? And the lower brightness compared to Sonys 900e? Please help me GAF!

Ashhong

Interesting, when I was shopping around every one had both models for the exact same price. And when they went on sale, everyone had the exact same sale price or promo (presumably coming from LG)

You mind linking a place? I find that hard to believe, unless that place marked up the B7 to be the C7 price. A C7 down at the B7 price would be great

So today i decided to visit the stores to check out the sets that catched my eye. Was leaning towards Sony x900e for my gaming and tv needs before the visit. But now after its hard to ignore the iq of the LG B7 oled,damn!how much of a problem is this dim HDR gamemode ive been reading abort? And the lower brightness compared to Sonys 900e? Please help me GAF!

I haven't tried an HDR game yet but for regular HD and SD I don't have any problems with brightness.

Kermy

People on avsforums and slickdeals say they are. I’ll let you know next week when I receive my B7.

Arkanius

C7 and B7 prices in Portugal are exactly the same by the way for the 55 inch model.

I think I'm going to narrow down my choice to the 55 inch C7 and the 65 inch X900E since they are similar in price

torontoml

Has anyone played around with the Technicolor mode on the B7/C7 after the update, I turned down the OLED light from 80 to 65, but that's about it other than turning off some extra processing stuff.

julrik

Now some of those things surprise me. Specifically the better motion part. How so? Most Sony VA panels, including their flagship 940e and z9d have some of the worst motion handling in the industry in terms of actual pixel to pixel performance. The trails on these panels are very obvious when dealing with grey on grey motion. Rting shows it in detail.
I don't have a clue about the 940 or ZD9, to be perfectly honest, but the 900E has great motion performance - supposedly better than the 930 too (and maybe 940 and Z9D? They have different processors).

The motion on OLEDs, on the other hand, is nothing to write home about, except for the pixel response time, and the motion controls introduces teŕrible artifacting.

Poppyseed

I don't have a clue about the 940 or ZD9, to be perfectly honest, but the 900E has great motion performance - supposedly better than the 930 too (and maybe 940 and Z9D? They have different processors).

The motion on OLEDs, on the other hand, is nothing to write home about, except for the pixel response time, and the motion controls introduces teŕrible artifacting.

Not sure what you mean. The motion on my C7 is sensational, and with instant pixel response times there’s simply no better panel on which to game.

julrik

Not sure what you mean. The motion on my C7 is sensational, and with instant pixel response times there’s simply no better panel on which to game.
I don't have first hand experience with the C7, but AFAIK the motion is the same between the 2016 and 2017 models (?). I've had three E6's and they all had judder and as soon as you touch the motion controls to reduce it, there's motion artifacts all over the place. Probably the main reason why I'm looking elsewhere at the moment.

Edit: I see now that you said "on which to game". That's a whole 'nother matter. I use my TV for more than that - which is where the motion issues are prominent - generally in 24 and 50 fps content.

Poppyseed

I don't have first hand experience with the C7, but AFAIK the motion is the same between the 2016 and 2017 models (?). I've had three E6's and they all had judder and as soon as you touch the motion controls to reduce it, there's motion artifacts all over the place. Probably the main reason why I'm looking elsewhere at the moment.

Edit: I see now that you said "on which to game". That's a whole 'nother matter. I use my TV for more than that - which is where the motion issues are prominent - generally in 24 and 50 fps content.

The 2017 OLEDs, as far as I’m aware, do not suffer from the judder issues prevalent on the 2016s. I watch a LOT of 24p content without issue, and I’m sensitive to that stuff. I get very clean motion/panning without any motion nonsense turned on.

The 2017 OLEDs, as far as I’m aware, do not suffer from the judder issues prevalent on the 2016s. I watch a LOT of 24p content without issue, and I’m sensitive to that stuff. I get very clean motion/panning without any motion nonsense turned on.
This is both true in my experience. Motion is a lot better on the 2017 OLEDs compared to earlier sets. However, when watching Blu-rays and other 24fps content, the Sonys were a definite step up. Then again, I am obviously biased.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Motion on LG 2017 models is good. It handles 24p material great for example. It's a debate whether trumotion off vs on (with blur/dejudder on 0) is the most optimal though.

Arkanius

These are the prices I can get for the C7/B7 and the X900E in a store over here. I think my decision will be between the 55" C7 and the 65" Sony
I'm more biased towards the OLED, but you all said bigger is better, even if the motion/contrast and other stuff is better on the LG. The 65" C7 is beyond my budget

-TV OLED 55" LG OLED55C7V

..........1.849,00€

-TV Oled 65" LG OLED65C7V

...........3.349,00€

-TV Oled 65" LG OLED65B7V

..........3.299,00€

-TV Led 55" Sony KD-55XE9005

...........1.435,00€

-TV Led 65" Sony KD-65XE9005

...........2.075,00€

So I have to ask again.

Amazon has the 55 B7A Certified Refurbished from Beach Camera at 1,500.

I read the reviws that go back to Septemember and they seem to be ok for the certified refurbished set as far as a montg back.

Why shouldn't I but this at this price?

Aren't refurbished items better tested than original ones so they should not be faulty?

I am just curious because 1,500 vs 1,800 is a decent amount.

ApharmdX

Banned

What are you talking about? OLED has near-instant pixel response, so motion on OLED isn't muddy like it is on LCD. 900E is better than the Z9D, which in its 65" size is totally unacceptable for gaming, but it still displays a trail on certain transitions even @60Hz.

Motion controls as in interpolation? You should never, ever game with motion interpolation on, it adds significant input lag. Who cares about interpolation except for on 24Hz film?

Of the sample-and-hold display technologies, OLED produces the best motion. It's inferior to CRT and plasma, of course, but it's better than LCD, LCoS, or DLP. edit: DLP isn't sample-and-hold but they do have distracting motion artifacts

Not sure what you mean. The motion on my C7 is sensational, and with instant pixel response times there's simply no better panel on which to game.

CRT, followed by plasma, are still better. OLED needs a high-refresh black frame insertion option or something IMO.

muggen76

These are the prices I can get for the C7/B7 and the X900E in a store over here. I think my decision will be between the 55" C7 and the 65" Sony
I'm more biased towards the OLED, but you all said bigger is better, even if the motion/contrast and other stuff is better on the LG. The 65" C7 is beyond my budget

-TV OLED 55” LG OLED55C7V

……….1.849,00€

-TV Oled 65” LG OLED65C7V

………..3.349,00€

-TV Oled 65” LG OLED65B7V

……….3.299,00€

-TV Led 55” Sony KD-55XE9005

………..1.435,00€

-TV Led 65” Sony KD-65XE9005

………..2.075,00€

I think i will bite on a good deal for a 65" x900e on black friday. Thought the blacks was good enough. Brightness, bigger and better motion.

What are you talking about? OLED has near-instant pixel response, so motion on OLED isn't muddy like it is on LCD. 900E is better than the Z9D, which in its 65" size is totally unacceptable for gaming, but it still displays a trail on certain transitions even @60Hz.
Pixel response isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to motion, at least not in the way LG has currently employed this inherent OLED advantage.

Therefore, referring to pixel response when discussing motion is only partially relevant.

I'll back this up with this bit from the HDTVTest review

In terms of motion handling, slow panning shots in 24Hz movies did not exhibit any telecine judder, although there could still be very faint judder inherent in 24p (depending on how close you sit to the screen) that certain users may choose to smooth out using gentle [De-Judder] interpolation in the [TruMotion] ”User" submenu. When it comes to outright 24fps smoothness without needing interpolation, we think Sony and Panasonic still have the slight upper hand.

Let's hope a manufacturer finds a way to better utilize the possible advantages OLED brings.

Also, sidenote, why would a 65" size panel be unacceptable for gaming?

julrik

Motion controls as in interpolation? You should never, ever game with motion interpolation on, it adds significant input lag. Who cares about interpolation except for on 24Hz film?

Of the sample-and-hold display technologies, OLED produces the best motion. It's inferior to CRT and plasma, of course, but it's better than LCD, LCoS, or DLP. edit: DLP isn't sample-and-hold but they do have distracting motion artifacts.
If you actually bothered to read my whole post, you'd see that I wasn't just talking about gaming, but 24 and 50 fps content as well. If you only play games on your TV - good for you, but I am not. Thanks for your input, though, I guess.

Edit: And as the above poster mentioned; 65" unacceptable for gaming? What are you talking about?

ApharmdX

Banned
Pixel response isn't the be-all end-all when it comes to motion, at least not in the way LG has currently employed this inherent OLED advantage.

Therefore, referring to pixel response when discussing motion is only partially relevant.

I'll back this up with this bit from the HDTVTest review

Let's hope a manufacturer finds a way to better utilize the possible advantages OLED brings.

Also, sidenote, why would a 65" size panel be unacceptable for gaming?

The trailing is really bad on that model of the Z9D:

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/z9d/z9d-motion-blur-large.jpg

30ms for some transitions. That's pretty bad. The 2017 Sony LCDs do a better job. Not perfect, because they are VA-based, but acceptable for gaming.

And yeah, pixel response isn't the only metric for motion. But there's not a good technology currently on the market in terms of motion IMO. Maybe DLP projectors, if you aren't sensitive to the artifacts caused by single-chip DLP?

Would love some insight. Have a dark living room mainly used at night. Sit around 8 feet from TV. I can afford either a 65 Sony 900 or 55 lg c/b7. Main use is mix of Netflix, YouTube, and gaming. No cable TV. Any recommendations from anyone with both or who also has this dilemma? Read rtings review on both and still can't decide. Thanks

Would love some insight. Have a dark living room mainly used at night. Sit around 8 feet from TV. I can afford either a 65 Sony 900 or 55 lg c/b7. Main use is mix of Netflix, YouTube, and gaming. No cable TV. Any recommendations from anyone with both or who also has this dilemma? Read rtings review on both and still can't decide. Thanks

Scoot the couch up and get the oled (If you watch with the lights out, or dimmed)

Kudo

OLED in dark room has blown my mind recently, games and movies look too good on it.

Pagusas

Elden Member

8ft is too far for a 55” tv. It’ll be itty bitty. Just far too tiny. Either save up a little more for the 65” Oled or just get the 900.

Asking again for advice:

I read the reviws that go back to Septemember and they seem to be ok for the certified refurbished set as far as a montg back.

Aren't refurbished items better tested than original ones so they should not be faulty?

Reallink

They're legit, I had the complete experience with refund and all. I purchased over the phone from them, received it within a week. First unit was brand new, but the panel was clearly defective from the factory. Called up their customer service and explained the issue, they emailed me a prepaid return label. They weren't able to do a direct exchange, so I had to rebuy the second unit. They refunded the borked unit in full pretty much as soon as they received it. Second unit is fine and also brand new.

So I have to ask again.

Asking again for advice:

A brand new unit was $1549 (maybe cheaper by now) if you purchase from Beach Camera over the phone (Ray was the guy), just confirm it's new and not a refurb. There is a very good chance that refurb is the unit I returned 2 or 3 weeks ago. The issue was not visible on bright or busy content, only solid mid tones and darker. A couple warehouse jockeys probably threw on an HDR Demo and couldn't see or reproduce the issue. I returned it in pristine condition with all the packaging, so it's not surprising they would try to sell it if they couldn't see the problem.

ElNino

8ft is too far for a 55” tv. It’ll be itty bitty. Just far too tiny. Either save up a little more for the 65” Oled or just get the 900.
I think "far too tiny" is a bit much. I have seating further than 8ft away from my 55" B7 and it is still looks great, although 65" is much further away.

In a dark room however, I'd still lean towards the OLED.

So I'm about to move in with my fiance and her living room has about a 10-11ft gap between the TV spot and the couch which means 4k will be worthless to me.

Any tips on finding a 65ish 1080p screen for a good price?

Madness

I can't go below 65" for a television in my living room either. I find I could easily fit 80" or more with no issues.

I think either television will give you great dark room viewing. OLED one weakness is super bright rooms, so if it is a dark room, just get the 55" OLED. Or like someone said, save up a bit more ans get the 65" OLED.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I can't go below 65" for a television in my living room either. I find I could easily fit 80" or more with no issues.

I think either television will give you great dark room viewing. OLED one weakness is super bright rooms, so if it is a dark room, just get the 55" OLED. Or like someone said, save up a bit more ans get the 65" OLED.

Thats how I am, I went from 52 to 75", have found 75" to be a pretty good sweet spot. Come march what every 77" OLED LG has for 2018, will be mine. Hope I dont regret leaving my x940c.

So I'm about to move in with my fiance and her living room has about a 10-11ft gap between the TV spot and the couch which means 4k will be worthless to me.

Even if new Full HD TVs in 65" still existed, they don't have any HDR support, so it would be like throwing your money out of the window IMO.
I think Sony released Full HD TVs with HDR, but those were small sizes.

BumRush

Those charts are misleading. You will definitely be able to tell the difference between 1080P and 2160P content at 10', if your eyes are normal.

In the same "65-inch Sony X900 or 55-inch LG B7 OLED" discussion, I'm also wondering how much weight to put for how the LG supports Dolby Vision while the Sony supports HDR10.

Top Bottom