• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

BumRush

Doesn't FFXV have a checkerboard Pro mode? I would take higher resolution any day, it looks pretty bad at the standard PS4 resolution.

I had heard it looked bad (in spots) on an OG, but so far that's definitely not the case on the Pro.

Not sure about the 2160p vs 2160c convo though...haven't really looked into 4K gaming too much.

sector4

I have the c6 and 2 of the floor speakers you recommended. My 940d will be here Friday
Congrats dude! :D Whoa, a 940D as well as a C6? Crazy man, sounds like you'll have an excellent couple of setups. How are those speakers going?

ZD9/Z9D had (has?) performance/stability issues.

You shouldn't be concerned about the Sony OLEDs OS. In my experience the Z9D's OS doesn't have performance / stability issues. It's actually an excellent performing OS, and the built in chromecast support is awesome.

Yoday

Is there any word yet on Samsung's 2017 lineup in regards to improvements and price? I'm looking at this 65" KS8000, and $1500 seems like a pretty damn good price. However, I don't have any need for it yet, as my first 4K capable device will be Scorpio later this year. So, I would only be interested if there aren't going to be noticeable improvements in the 2017 line, and if the 2017 black Friday prices are expected to be a fair bit more than what the 2016 prices are now.

I'm not locked down to just Samsung either, I just know that I'd prefer LED this time. OLED looks great, but I've had plasmas for almost a decade now and even the best anti glare filters can't compete with the numerous windows and light sources in my living room.

I just bought the lg 65 inch uh6030, primarily for my ps4 pro, I got a really good deal on it. Is this good for ps4 pro or should I return it and buy the samsung ks8000 series?

Congrats dude! :D Whoa, a 940D as well as a C6? Crazy man, sounds like you'll have an excellent couple of setups. How are those speakers going?

You shouldn't be concerned about the Sony OLEDs OS. In my experience the Z9D's OS doesn't have performance / stability issues. It's actually an excellent performing OS, and the built in chromecast support is awesome.

They are amazing.

I got TVs for the price of 1. Figured I'd maximize my investment. I'll get a new TV in 5 years or so

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I know nothing about TV's but I just purchased a 65" LG OLED TV and it is not displaying 4k or HDR with my PS4PRO. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I just restarted the tv after a firmware update and it displays in 2160 now. It still says that HDR is not supported with my TV when it certainly is, however.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
65E6 owners, can you help me out?

What's the distance from the very bottom of the set to the actual image panel?

1Ebl9Ap.png

Dave_6

Any idea if the Youtube app on the LG OLEDs is ever going to be updated to actually display HDR videos correctly?

NYR

65E6 owners, can you help me out?

What's the distance from the very bottom of the set to the actual image panel?

1Ebl9Ap.png
Just measured. 2 inches from the base to the top edge of the speaker, 2.5 inches going from the base to the bottom edge of the screen border(basically including that little strip where the lg logo is that seperates the speaker and the screen).

0ykoNOz.jpg

AddiF

Just measured. 2 inches from the base to the top edge of the speaker, 2.5 inches going from the base to the bottom edge of the screen border(basically including that little strip where the lg logo is that seperates the speaker and the screen).

0ykoNOz.jpg

Do you own a PS4 Pro and connected to your E6?

NYR

Do you own a PS4 Pro and connected to your E6?
Yep. Has caused me some issues, lol. I have whined about it in this thread, I have had a lot of issues with it in terms of the HDMI Handshake issue, only seems to work flawlessly when on HDCP 1.4 or when connected to HDMI 1.

AddiF

Yep. Has caused me some issues, lol. I have whined about it in this thread, I have had a lot of issues with it in terms of the HDMI Handshake issue, only seems to work flawlessly when on HDCP 1.4 or when connected to HDMI 1.

I'm having massive issues with 4K mode. Everytime I play a game with Pro patch (Rise of the Tomb Raider and Watch Dogs 2) it crashes. The screen freezes with a looping sound from the game from a few seconds to a few minutes, before returning to a "Report problem" screen or just a whole lot of nothing... and I'll have to pull the power cord out of the wall.

Do you know what's causing this? Is this PS4 Pro firmware issue or LG E6 handshake issue causing some hardware problems in the Pro?

This is driving me nuts!

NYR

I'm having massive issues with 4K mode. Everytime I play a game with Pro patch (Rise of the Tomb Raider and Watch Dogs 2) it crashes. The screen freezes with a looping sound from the game from a few seconds to a few minutes, before returning to a "Report problem" screen or just a whole lot of nothing... and I'll have to pull the power cord out of the wall.

Do you know what's causing this? Is this PS4 Pro firmware issue or LG E6 handshake issue causing some hardware problems in the Pro?

This is driving me nuts!
Wow. That sounds really odd. I have basically read every post and info on the Internet about the Pro and the E6 and that is the first I have heard of this issue. It is Normally a black screen and no sound or an Fail message.

I would first try HDCP 1.4 to see if that will work. If not, try an HDMI CERTIFIED cable, not a regular HDMI cable. Also, are you direct hooking into the TV or through a AVR?

AddiF

Wow. That sounds really odd. I have basically read every post and info on the Internet about the Pro and the E6 and that is the first I have heard of this issue. It is Normally a black screen and no sound or an Fail message.

I would first try HDCP 1.4 to see if that will work. If not, try an HDMI CERTIFIED cable, not a regular HDMI cable. Also, are you direct hooking into the TV or through a AVR?

Yup this is insane. I'm on Pro nr. 2 as I had the first replaced but the second one is just the same. I transferred everything from OG PS4 to PS4 Pro. I've replaced it as I said. I've tried rebuilding the database. I've tried deleting Rise of the Tomb Raider and redownloading it. I've tried disconnecting from the internet. I've tried signing out from PSN. I've yet to try HDCP 1.4 but then I won't be able to play games in Pro mode anyways, right? Beats the purpose...

It's hooked directly to the E6 through HDMI port 1. I have it connected with the HDMI cable that came with it, but I might have to try a different one.

I got my Vizio M-55 today and I promised I'd give some people my impressions. From the second I turned it on, I could tell the black levels were much better than my old Samsung led set. Also, I couldn't detect any light bleed either from the edge of the screen or within the screen itself. The setup was alright, but I had to do all of it with an android tablet that came in the box. More on the tablet later. Also, only one input has hdmi 2.0, but I don't think that's a problem for the price we paid.

Since we don't have a uhd bd player yet, I popped in uncharted 4 and enabled hdr mode. I was greeted with a disgusting puke-green picture. It turns out I needed to update the tv's firmware a second time, but I didn't see an option to do it. I guess it can only update when the set is off, so I turned it off for a bit and it downloaded the update pretty quickly. After that, everything looked great. I played the last chapter of uncharted 4 and the colors looked pretty damn incredible. Not as good as the ks8000 my friend has, but definitely in the ballpark. Input lag seemed fine at first blush as well, but I'm not that sensitive to lag in the first place.

Well, when it came time to watch some 4k content, I had to use the included tablet to use chrome cast to play any streaming apps. This seems like a good idea, and it's fine when it works. Unfortunately, the tablet is a bit cheap, but it gets the job done fine...when it works. I had a few problems trying to connect to Netflix, but i just had to hard reset the tablet to get it to work again. Luckily it looks like you can also cast with your phone, including iOS, and that seemed to work fine for me.

I don't think I can comment fully on how the picture looks before we get a bd player, but it's pretty damn good from what I've seen. The set has terrific black levels, but I only wish the whites were a bit brighter. I watched a bit of Marco Polo on Netflix, and it was pretty fantastic looking. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say it was a scene with a lot of fire. The lights from the flames weren't blown out and I was amazed at how great the details in the dark background were.

Those are just my initial impression, but I have to say I'm totally satisfied with the purchase. Now I just need to calibrate it. Oh joy! ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
75mm or 2.95 inches

0ykoNOz.jpg

Thank you very much guys.

This is much shorter than my current 65VT60. Hmm
Have to think about center speaker placement.

NYR

Yup this is insane. I'm on Pro nr. 2 as I had the first replaced but the second one is just the same. I transferred everything from OG PS4 to PS4 Pro. I've replaced it as I said. I've tried rebuilding the database. I've tried deleting Rise of the Tomb Raider and redownloading it. I've tried disconnecting from the internet. I've tried signing out from PSN. I've yet to try HDCP 1.4 but then I won't be able to play games in Pro mode anyways, right? Beats the purpose...

It's hooked directly to the E6 through HDMI port 1. I have it connected with the HDMI cable that came with it, but I might have to try a different one.
Actually, you can play in 4K games In HDCP 1.4. You lose the ability to play HDR and 4K content on netflix because of digital rights management on 2.2.

holygeesus

Banned
Actually, you can play in 4K games In HDCP 1.4. You lose the ability to play HDR and 4K content on netflix because of digital rights management on 2.2.

It is more shocking to me, that LG haven't fixed the PS4 Pro handshaking issue with the C6/E6/G6 than it is that they haven't released the B6 Game HDR firmware (here in the UK)

It was months ago that the B6 was fixed. Very worrying.

Hello, everyone! First time poster. I've been browsing this thread for a couple months, anxiously waiting to participate, and I'm very happy to be able to do so now.

In any case, I picked up a 55" B6 OLED tonight at my local Best Buy, and I'm thinking I've probably lost the panel lottery here. As you can see in the close-up picture, the upper right corner seems defective. I mean, there's no physical damage of any kind, but something's definitely up with that corner. So, my question is, has anyone seen this, and is it something that could go away within a couple hundred hours of use? Any input is appreciated, thanks very much!

On a related note, 5% gray looks pretty bad overall, especially on the right. Returning/exchanging TVs is always is a hassle, and I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. :-/

wege12

Are there any cheaper 4k HDR LCDs that incorporates backlight strobing or blinking and motion interpolation to almost remove all motion blur?

Kyoufu

Hello, everyone! First time poster. I've been browsing this thread for a couple months, anxiously waiting to participate, and I'm very happy to be able to do so now.

In any case, I picked up a 55" B6 OLED tonight at my local Best Buy, and I'm thinking I've probably lost the panel lottery here. As you can see in the close-up picture, the upper right corner seems defective. I mean, there's no physical damage of any kind, but something's definitely up with that corner. So, my question is, has anyone seen this, and is it something that could go away within a couple hundred hours of use? Any input is appreciated, thanks very much!

On a related note, 5% gray looks pretty bad overall, especially on the right. Returning/exchanging TVs is always is a hassle, and I'd like to avoid it if at all possible. :-/

Do you notice any of it when watching normal content? I'd return it if so because that sort of thing doesn't usually clear up by itself.

Do you notice any of it when watching normal content? I'd return it if so because that sort of thing doesn't usually clear up by itself.

Normal content seems fine. Then again, I've only had it for a few hours. I only noticed the imperfections while running dark gray slides. But, you're right, it most likely won't go away on its own. I suppose I'll watch some more regular content before packing it up and taking it back. Thanks again!

Hammer24

Banned
I'm going the cheapest I can yet above certain criterias (4K, low latency, HDR, 4:4:4 Chroma) with the idea that I will splurge out for a $5000 Bravia OLED w/HDMI 2.1 in 2019.

You are doing yourself a disservice, trust me. I came from a (very good) 50'' Plasma to the 65'' C6 - it is not even a comparison. This is like night and day.
My advice would be - get a 2016 OLED that fits your wallet, they will still have very decent resale value when your 2019 dream model rolls around.

You are doing yourself a disservice, trust me. I came from a (very good) 50'' Plasma to the 65'' C6 - it is not even a comparison. This is like night and day.
My advice would be - get a 2016 OLED that fits your wallet, they will still have very decent resale value when your 2019 dream model rolls around.

Why? As far as stopgap TVs go, Wollan has a pretty good upgrade plan. I'd say go with KS8000, and size depends. Bigger is normally always better, but if this is a stopgap I'd say save the money.

Wollan

I see the 60" actually has a smaller footprint for the stand (since it has two leg placement options) compared to the 55".
The 60" with it's smallest leg position being 41" at the tips is just barely within the edges of table (while the 55" has leg positions at 44").

Hammer24

Banned
Why? As far as stopgap TVs go, Wollan has a pretty good upgrade plan. I'd say go with KS8000, and size depends. Bigger is normally always better, but if this is a stopgap I'd say save the money.

I say it depends in what country you live in (not sure in Wollans case). In some places the difference in price between a 60'' KS8000 and a 55' B6 is not that big - but the difference in quality is.

Kyoufu

Normal content seems fine. The again, I've only had it for a few hours. I only noticed the imperfections while running dark gray slides. But, you're right, it most likely won't go away on its own. I suppose I'll watch some more regular content before packing it up and taking it back. Thanks again!

Well, I mean, the last thing anyone should do is check greyscales on the first day. Or ever, really. I mean, if you can't see any issues during normal content then why does it matter?

Give it a few days and see how it is. If you can see things that shouldn't be there when watching a TV show or playing a game then you should definitely return it. If you don't see anything, then I don't see the point of returning it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I see the 60" actually has a smaller footprint for the stand (since it has two leg placement options) compared to the 55".
The 60" with it's smallest leg position being 41" at the tips is just barely within the edges of table (while the 55" has leg positions at 44").

What's your current tv size? I'd be tempted to recommend the 55" because it'll be cheaper which helps with the upgrade plan and also you'll have a bigger size increase when it comes around.

But if you have limited space to accommodate it, you might be forced to get the 60" by the sound of it. Or you can get a vesa tabletop stand

Wollan

Current is a 55" Bravia (KDL-55W805A, 2013 model). I'm moving in a few months, current apartment is rented alongside furniture, so not interested in buying a new TV stand.

edit: Pulled the trigger. Ordered a 60" KS8000.

2nd edit: Cancelled it. See below.

longdi

Banned
LG 55b6 seems to drop lots until i say it's affordable, just under usd2000. Wonder if I should wait for this year revision.

Well, I mean, the last thing anyone should do is check greyscales on the first day. Or ever, really. I mean, if you can't see any issues during normal content then why does it matter?

Give it a few days and see how it is. If you can see things that shouldn't be there when watching a TV show or playing a game then you should definitely return it. If you don't see anything, then I don't see the point of returning it.

That's right. I'll give it a few days and see how it goes. Hopefully it's a keeper. =)

Geneijin

LG 55b6 seems to drop lots until i say it's affordable, just under usd2000. Wonder if I should wait for this year revision.
Not really.

To sum up; all 2017 OLEDs should have more or less identical picture quality, including B7. And in 2017 that means:
Higher peak brightness (HDR)
A redesigned ABL system
Improved SDR brightness control
More consistently high 99% DCI-P3 coverage
Improved HDR tone-mapping
Improved HDR calibration options
Slightly improved shadow detail reproduction

- http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1484640539

Wollan

I cancelled my KS8000 order from earlier today and went for the LG OLED55B6V.

Price has greatly reduced in the UK. It launched at £2799 and now I got it for £1619. Pretty great drop. KS8000 in comparison: £1799 -> £1249.

@Burdy75 informed me that it doesn't have the HDR switching annoyance present with KS8000 (that could be patched out any moment or never). Im hugely in favor of practical/easy-to-use solutions (ergo I'm purely digital these days when it comes to gaming, movies etc). And you know... OLED. I had to go down from 60" to 55" but I'm fine with that. Hopefully 4K detail is good enough that I won't be disappointed once I go back up to 65" or so in 2019.

Top Bottom