• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell GAF about your home town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Teach me about your city and I will teach you about mine. What is it best known for? What should it be known for? I love to hear/read little snippets about cities and locations I may otherwise never know.

Wiki-links or better if possible.

Kansas City - Things everybody should know about
1. Kansas City Chiefs started as The Dallas Texans and were brought here by Lamar Hunt, who coined the term "Super Bowl" after his daughter's bouncy ball.

2. Kansas City Royals, began after the Athletics (now in Oakland) left KC. They are now a 40 year-old franchise. Kansas City used to be home to the Negro League team, The Monarchs, and KC now houses the Negro League Hall of Fame. Satchel Paige, Jackie Robinson, and Buck O'Neil all played for the Monarchs.

3. The Country Club Plaza and much of Johnson County's layout (that's the rich side of town on the Kansas side of our city) were designed by JC Nichols (Reece & Nichols) after he visited and fell in love with Madrid, Spain. It is supposed to be a replica in miniature and is filled with upscale shops and restaurants. Fun to visit.

4. The Liberty Memorial is the only national monument to World War I. "It was dedicated on November 11, 1926, by U.S. President Calvin Coolidge. In attendance at the groundbreaking ceremony on November 1, 1921, were Lieutenant General Baron Jacques of Belgium, Admiral Earl Beatty of Great Britain, General Armando Diaz of Italy, Marshal Ferdinand Foch of France, and General John Pershing of the United States."

5. Barbeque. Or more specifically, cows. Kansas City used to be a nationwide hub for cattle distribution and much of KC's lifestyle was shaped by that industry as the city was growing in the early 20th century. The Royals are named after a major livestock/rodeo thing called "The American Royal." But you should know about the barbeque. Best on the planet.

Kansas City - Some Trivia
1. Walt Disney began his artistic career in Kansas City.
2. President Truman is from Independence, MO, suburb of KC.
3. The Power & Light building was used as inspiration for the building in Ghostbusters. It's the one to the left of the tallest building in the background in the picture below.
4. Tech N9ne is from KC.
5. Kate Spade, purse designer, and David Spade, sad comedian, are both from KC.
6. The Union Station Massacre is said to have precipitated or were the first inept steps of the FBI.

1100px-Downtown_from_Top_of_Liberty2.jpg

Panoramic View of KC from the top of the Liberty Memorial.

Now teach GAF about your home town!

slider

I like this thread and am pleased with the piccie you posted. I won't post about London cos it's all old news. But yeah. Hoping for some interesting stuff.

EDIT: This post contains my views on London and my place in it.

B.K.

It's in the middle of nowhere. You have to go 70 miles in any direction to get to anything. There are no jobs here other than Wal-Mart, a few fast food places, and a couple factories. The county's unemployment rate is the second highest in the state at 18.8%.

Chichikov

It’s awesome.
You can get a drink on 7am on a Tuesday, you can dance till sunrise, and then chill until noon, you can buy great cheap food 24 hours.
The ocean is great, the weather is mostly nice, it has the most beautiful women in the world and the best sport team in the history of the universe.
Sometimes busses explode and the mayor is a giant cunt, but what you gonna do?
I miss it.
Badly.

aznpxdd

Taipei

2086242398_dd3ed2a88c_b.jpg

3102488538_a4d324c702_b.jpg

You can get all the info from Wiki, but yeah, great street food in Taipei. Just came back from there a month ago after staying for a couple weeks.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Calgary: Heart of the New West

Basically, we house alot of oil companies who have decided to base their oil sands operations here. We have a population bigger than Edmonton, despite them being the capital. Urban sprawl is an issue (1.5 million in a city with the footprint of New York, or so I've heard).

Things of interest:
The Flames (We try hard but damnit...)
The Calgary Stampede (a glorified rodeo and carnival..."The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth")
Really close to the Rockies (Banff, Kaninaskis Country, and many other things are not too too far away)
The Calgary Tower (was the tallest freestanding object in the world for a short while)

Other than that, last call is 2am across the city and transit only runs till 1am. Not a good place to get drunk, especially since more people seem to be getting shot.

besada

Banned
Hurst, Texas.

One of the "mid-cities", Hurst was stolen from the Caddo Indians, who were so freaky they scared the shit out of other Native Americans. Originally settled and named after William Letchworth Hurst.

It contains just under 40,000 people. It's composed of 9.9 square miles of almost completely flat land, with no lakes or ponds to speak of. The entire area is essentially a big suburb for Ft. Worth and Dallas. It is a member of the H-E-B ISD (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) and sends the young men and women to L.D. Bell High School.

The only famous residents are Tommy Maddox (of the NFL), who I went to high school with, Robert Farout (also of the NFL) and a couple of mid-list novelists (romance and horror, respectively).

It is the home of Bell Helicopter, and we were told in no uncertain terms in school that we were one of the many cities targeted for destruction because of that.

It is a quiet and uninteresting place to live. Dallas and Fort Worth are each about twenty miles away, though.

This is what it looked like in 1975, before I lived here:
2jtcth.jpg

Trurl

Banned
Upper Sandusky, Ohio:
I think its population is about 7,000.
When I was a boy the town was virtually all white, now it's nearly all white with a small Hispanic population.
Neil Armstrong lived in Upper Sandusky for a few years in his adolescence.
Parts of Shawshank Redemption were filmed here--I still haven't seen that movie. . . .
I believe it was the site of the last Indian reservation in the state of Ohio.
It's mentioned on the first page of Fast Food Nation.
3 years ago Wal-Mart opened a store in Upper Sandusky.
The downtown is slowly dying, I blame the Wal-Mart.
People that live in Upper Sandusky just call it "Upper."
It's actually more than an hour's drive south of Sandusky, the home of Cedar Point.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Plattsburgh, NY

• Pop. 19,000 -- within NY, it's the biggest "city" for roughly 100 miles; Burlington, VT is nice and is across Lake Champlain ($25 ferry ride!) and Montreal is about an hour north.
• The city was founded on land originally owned by a man named George Clinton. :lol
• Moderately significant battles during the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812 were fought here.
• We used to have an Air Force base here, but it was closed in '95, having a huge impact on the local economy and population.
• We just got our first Target and Best Buy stores one and four years ago, respectively, and a second theater just opened at the beginning of this year. :lol
• Sort of uniteresting people who are from here: the guy who wrote the carol "We Three Kings," the guy who won a Tony for Jersey Boys, one of the astronauts who died in the space shuttle Columbia explosion; Fidel Castro's older brother went to boarding school here and one of the Columbine shooters lived on the Air Force base once.
• One of the tracks from Frampton Comes Alive was recorded at the local college...
• There are a lot of damn mountains, trees and hicks up here, and no cultural points of interest. Would it kill them to get an art museum or something? Everyone likes our maple syrup, though.
• The Lake Champlain "monster" Champy has been featured in quite a few Unsolved Mystery-type shows. Oooh!
• A local eatery was featured in Gourmet magazine in '06 for their inexplicably named Michigans, a [superior] chili dog of sorts. A bakery used to make special buns for these until about ten years ago when they were discontinued, prompting the hilarious and bizarre front page newspaper headline: "BUN CRISIS '98" :lol

2s9d2xz.jpg

hsjbxf.jpg

2cei7bo.jpg

slpwz4.jpg

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
5dj66e.jpg

Not much to say about Glasgow really. Except that it's got an unfair reputation in the UK (to say the least) and that over half the population of Scotland live within 30 miles of the city. It is currently considered one of the ten best places to visit by Lonely Planet, was the European City of Culture of 1990 (and more importantly the Curry Capital of Britain in 2006) has the third oldest subway in the world (behind London and Budapest) and the tallest cinema in the world.

Glasgow's music scene is second to none in Scotland, with a ton of great bands coming from Glasgow, notable venue halls like King Tuts and the Barrowlands. It's the only British city (iirc) to be awarded the UNESCO City of Music as well.

And most importantly it's a better city than Edinburgh. Nane ae this "£3.50 a pint" shite. :D

More info:

http://www.seeglasgow.com/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland/glasgow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow

Camberley, Surrey in England.

Nothing good has ever or will ever come from this place. No real music venues, and until a few months ago there wasnt even a cinema! It's basically a collection of pubs and restaurants and utter cultural retardation.

Actually, the awesome rock band Reuben come from here, but they are more asscociated with nearby Aldershot, as it's the closest place with a decent venue for them to play in.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I hope someone does Minneapolis. I've become interested in the surrounding area recently, for whatever reason.

Tek

LouisvilleNightSkyline2-small.jpg

Louisville is most famous as the home of "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports": the Kentucky Derby, the widely watched first race of the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing.

Derby.jpg

One-third of all bourbon whiskey comes from Louisville.

Louisville is home to several major corporations and organizations:

* Brown-Forman Corporation (Fortune 1000)
* Hillerich & Bradsby (known for Louisville Slugger baseball bats)
* Hilliard Lyons (investment firm)
* Humana (Fortune 100)
* Kindred Healthcare Incorporated (Fortune 500)
* Norton Healthcare
* Papa John's Pizza
* PharMerica (Fortune 1000)
* Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
* Republic Bank & Trust Company
* SHPS (healthcare and human resources services company)
* Stock Yards Bank & Trust
* Yum! Brands (owners of KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell which were formerly Tricon Global Restaurants (a spin-off of PepsiCo) as well as Long John Silver's and A & W Restaurants which were formerly Yorkshire Global Restaurants) (Fortune 500)

On Memorial Day weekend, Louisville hosts the largest annual Beatles Festival in the world, Abbey Road on the River. The festival lasts five days and is located on the Belvedere in downtown Louisville.

LouisvilleSluggerMusem.jpg

It is also home to Louisville Extreme Park, open since 2002, and which skateboarder Tony Hawk has called one of his top five skate parks

Louisville_Skatepark-night-2002.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

I'm originally from Bakersfield, CA.

It's so exciting I'm not sure where to begin.

It gets really hot in the summer.

People drive a lot of trucks there.

KoRn is from there. But it was the stomping ground of Buck Owens and Merle Haggard, so that counterbalances things.

It has a mall.

It's not so bad, truthfully. There are worse places in California, that's for sure.

Tim-E

Chapmanville, West Virginia. Population 1,200. Let's show you some of the facts about the town. 99.8% is white. That means there are 9 Asians and 5 people who are "two or more races." Quite the diverse place. A few years ago an African American girl was held captive in a trailer for 5 days by 6 crazy hillbillies and was raped and forced to eat feces, among other things.

I hate this place.

I'm from Vallejo, I lived there when it was the murder capitol of California! Home to such things as the Zodiac killer, metal detectors in the classrooms, and the color gray. In 2008, it was the largest city in California to file for bankruptcy! We moved after somebody got killed in the church parking lot down the street. I moved back to the bay area years later, and found out my best friend had killed himself.

2pu06jk.jpg

minor effort said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakersfield,_California

I'm originally from Bakersfield, CA.

It's so exciting I'm not sure where to begin.

It gets really hot in the summer.

People drive a lot of trucks there.

KoRn is from there. But it was the stomping ground of Buck Owens and Merle Haggard, so that counterbalances things.

It has a mall.

It's not so bad, truthfully. There are worse places in California, that's for sure.

I live in Pismo Beach right now and everybody hates the fucking Bakos. Sorry bro, somebody had to break in to you. We know it's you by the way you read the menus in the restaurant windows.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
industrian said:
And most importantly it's a better city than Edinburgh. Nane ae this "£3.50 a pint" shite. :D

More info:

http://www.seeglasgow.com/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland/glasgow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow

Just like a dirty Weedgie to have an inferiority complex about not being the capital and compound it with fibbery.

a) My city has a castle, a palace, an extinct volcano and the Scottish parliament within its walls.
b) There are plenty of places in Glasgow where a pint costs more than three-fifty.
c) I love Glasgow, but it's no Edinburgh.

Downtown Edinburgh:

35hlr7o.jpg

Zeke

800px-Sanantonioskylinenw.jpg

San Antonio AKA The Alamo City
Home of the 4 time NBA Champs
Second largest city in Texas and seventh largest in the US
Home to Fort Sam Houston, Lackland Air Force Base, Randolph Air Force Base, and Brooks City-Base, with Camp Bullis and Camp Stanley right outside the city.
We also have Sea World and Six Flags
San Antonio athletes include Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Sam Hurd, New York Giants defensive back Aaron Ross, New Orleans Hornets guard Devin Brown, Minnesota Vikings 2006 second-round draft pick Cedric Griffin (I went to high school with him), Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes(his kids go to the school my sister teaches at), Houston Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu(my sister went to middle school with him), Florida Marlins pitcher Logan Kensing, Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal (lulz), Olympic gold medalist Darold Williamson, Kansas City Chiefs Tackle Anthony Alabi, and Pittsburgh Steelers Linebacker Patrick Bailey.
Now some pics
The Alamo
800px-Alamo_TX.jpg

San Antonio circa 1939
785px-San_antonio_tex_1939.jpg

The RvierWalk
Riverwalk_Christmas_05-2.jpg

The Missions these date back to the early 1700's
800px-Mission-Concepcion.jpg

Tower of the Americas its just a restaurant that spins
248px-SA_SN_tree.jpg

industrian

OuterWorldVoice said:
Just like a dirty Weedgie to have an inferiority complex about not being the capital and compound it with fibbery.

a) My city has a castle, a palace, an extinct volcano and the Scottish parliament within its walls.
b) There are plenty of places in Glasgow where a pint costs more than three-fifty.
c) I love Glasgow, but it's no Edinburgh.

The best doner kebab I've eaten in the UK was in Edinburgh. I'll give you that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
industrian said:
The best doner kebab I've eaten in the UK was in Edinburgh. I'll give you that.

Let's agree to swan around this thread with a lofty sense of Scottish self-importance. Alba Go Bragh!

industrian

OuterWorldVoice said:
Let's agree to swan around this thread with a lofty sense of Scottish self-importance. Alba Go Bragh!

Considering I'm bailing out to South Korea next Wednesday it may not be appropriate for me. But what the hell, I'm up for it.

Far off in sunlit places,
Sad are the Scottish faces,
Yearning to feel the kiss of sweet Scottish rain.
Where tropic skies are beaming,
Love sets the heart a-dreaming,
Longing and dreaming for the homeland again!

Basch

Sioux Falls, South Dakota (Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sioux_Falls)

Population: 150,000+
Surrounding Area: 230,000+

4lgkdd.jpg

2wfr60g.jpg
34zatrp.png
veb4et.jpg

To this day, I wouldn't be able to tell you why we get tourists. Probably our Falls, which isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Maybe that's just because I grew up around it. Whatevs. It's a nice place though. Beautiful during Spring. Lots of trails all over the city for biking, hiking, and jogging. Tons of people from hundreds of miles around come here. Probably to shop, but also because we're the largest city in the state and possibly in the region 'til you hit the Twin City areas in Minnesota. I wouldn't be surprised if we gained a few suburbs in the next fifteen years.

2dqnjwj.jpg

We can have some brutal winters, though. It can get shockingly cold. The greatest part I loved about the season is that right before the storms would hit, there would be a clear night sky, and I would often walk around a couple miles after Midnight. It can be quite beautiful sometimes.

25ums2d.jpg

Not much else I can say. I went to high school at O'Gorman, and I work at the place pictured above. The Main Branch Library (pictured above) is located downtown, but is currently under reconstruction. We're expanding the building two fold. Will be done sometime next year. We're moving into the second half right now. They're going to renovate the first half throughout the rest of this year. Kind of exciting. We open back up a week from now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, we've also been in quite a few Top 10 (15, etc...) lists. Voted Best City I don't know how many times. Don't remember the criteria, but good to see nonetheless. Here's some of our accolades we received...

Wikipedia said:
Accolades

In 1992, a healthy economy, low unemployment, and a low crime rate led to Sioux Falls being named "the best place to live in America" by Money Magazine.

In 2006, Men's Health Magazine ranked Sioux Falls as the 93rd Angriest City in the Nation, out of 100 cities studied in the survey.

In 2007, Allstate awarded Sioux Falls with the Allstate Safety Leadership Award in recognition of the safe drivers of the area, with Sioux Falls residents averaging an accident once every 13.7 years. Sioux Falls was honored with the award again in 2008.

Also in 2007, Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal ranked Sioux Falls the 9th Best City for Minor League Sports, In its ranking of Minor League Markets.

In the November 2007 issue of Men's Health Magazine, Sioux Falls was ranked #2 on the list of cities with the least debt, finishing just behind Billings,Montana.

Forbes named Sioux Falls the #1 Best Small Place For Business And Careers in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.

Forbes also released the University of Cincinnati's 2006 "United States Drinking Water Quality Study Report", which had Sioux Falls ranked 3rd in Cleanest Drinking Water.

In 2009, CNN ranked Sioux Falls the 45th best place to live and launch out of a list of 100

God's Beard said:
I live in Pismo Beach right now and everybody hates the fucking Bakos. Sorry bro, somebody had to break in to you. We know it's you by the way you read the menus in the restaurant windows.

Pismo Beach is a nice place. I used to go there yearly when I lived in Bakersfield. Sorry about stinking up your quaint beach community. Also, I'm kind of curious if you could elaborate on the window menu reading . :lol

I live in SF now, so it isn't so terrible to go back and visit every now and then. I'm heading back to Bakersfield for the weekend.

Tarazet

Morgan Hill, California. Medium-sized cow town which has become a bedroom community to the Silicon Valley with its 30-minute commute to San Jose, and, as a result, its property values went absolutely berserk. Builders responded by flooding the market with hundreds upon hundreds of 4000 square foot houses, with predictable results.

We grow a lot of mushrooms. They don't smell too good. Get off 101 at Dunne, and well, that's part of it. The other half is around Hale & Miramonte. Good lord it smells bad out there. It smells like someone shit inside Lebron's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom