• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Namco to bring Tales franchise to the West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
EDIT: the original link is broken, follow the updates on Namco facebook site

http://www.facebook.com/NamcoBandai

Hey guys! I'm Richard Bantegui, aka "FilthieRich," the Community Manager for Namco Bandai Games. If you've got any thoughts, requests or suggestions about any of our games such as Tekken, SoulCalibur, PAC-MAN and yes, even Tales, let's chat

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Heh. Every post on there is begging for Tales. I don't blame people wanting them though... playing through Tales of Graces F right now and it's really good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did my part. :)

Firestorm

I love how he says "even Tales".

"If you have any anything you want to say about our games or even one we won't localize, go ahead"

Sqorgar

Banned
I have. At every opportunity since Tales of Destiny. Still waiting on Tales of Destiny 2. Been waiting a while. There's even a damn PSP port. There's still time!

I think Namco weighs the number and conviction of these requests against their complete inability to give a shit, then brings out Tales of Legendia (with a gimped localization) just to laugh in our faces.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
spidye said:

It's a damn shame Namco has basically given up on the Tales series in the west, while other companies like Atlus, XSEED, and NISA keep bringing over ever niche title they can. I understand that the production costs for Tales games are higher than those, but Namco really could succeed if they put enough effort and marketing behind it.

Canova

Banned
Kagari said:
It's a damn shame Namco has basically given up on the Tales series in the west, while other companies like Atlus, XSEED, and NISA keep bringing over ever niche title they can. I understand that the production costs for Tales games are higher than those, but Namco really could succeed if they put enough effort and marketing behind it.

yeah they tried their hardest to cater to the West gamers by bringing flop after flop after flop like Enslaved, Majin, Splatterhouse, (Knights Contract is next) Yet, they can't see that West gamers actually love and appreciate their Japanese titles, i.e The Tales franchise.

I really don;t understand Namco

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have a feeling if they localized Tales of Xillia or Tales of Graces f or Tales of Vesperia PS3, it will sell more than Enslaved. :lol

Looks like they're going to release some Tales in the future if I see the comments there :D Let's just hope they don't forget Europe...

Why would you do that? said:
I can't add a comment to it for some reason. :(

You have to 'like' the Namco page first.

spidye

Kagari said:
It is a shame but I hate you for rubbing salt into our wounds. I've always wanted to play tales of graces.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
canova said:
yeah they tried their hardest to cater to the West gamers by bringing flop after flop after flop like Enslaved, Majin, Splatterhouse, (Knights Contract is next) Yet, they can't see that West gamers actually love and appreciate their Japanese titles, i.e The Tales franchise.

I really don;t understand Namco

Yeah, those western titles sure backfired in their face. That seems to be the common theme among Japanese developers trying to be something they're not these days.

spidye said:
It is a shame but I hate you for rubbing salt into our wounds. I've always wanted to play tales of graces.

The PS3 is region free, so you could always import it.

Anony

community manager, and this guy picks a nickname "FilthieRich"
and that display picture helps too, very professional

Did my part too, if we can get a 3000+ people complaining then they actually might give a damn because thats basically more people than who bought Enslaved.

Who am I kidding, they don't give a damn about American Tales fans.

Kagari said:

If only it was that easy...

entremet

Kagari said:
Yeah, those western titles sure backfired in their face. That seems to be the common theme among Japanese developers trying to be something they're not these days.

Not everyone is fluent in Japanese. I never understand why this advice is given with text heavy games like RPGs?

Rolf NB

V_Ben said:
Did my part. I just want to play Vesperia on my PS3, in English.
For serious now. This should be so easy to do. They've already translated the game for the Xbox 360 release.
Kagari said:
But I don't speak Moon :(

farnham

Banned
entrement said:
Not everyone is fluent in Japanese. I never understand why this advice is given with text heavy games like RPGs?
to be fair

tales is never about the story as it is cliche animu crap all the time

tales is about the battle system

Ledsen

Anony said:
community manager, and this guy picks a nickname "FilthieRich"
and that display picture helps too, very professional

You don't think he had that nick before he worked at NB?

hatchx

Banned
Namco is really losing ground imo.

Tekken and Soul Calibur aren't what they used to be....and the genre is pretty stagnant.
They couldn't whore Pacman more if they tried.
Their 'western' titles are mediocre at best and sell mediocre at best.
Look what has happened to the Tales franchise.

....what from Namco should I care about? I havn't purchased a title from them since Soul Calibur 2.

LiK

Rolf NB said:
For serious now. This should be so easy to do. They've already translated the game for the Xbox 360 release.
The problem with that is the PS3 ver has a new character and scenarios so they would need to localize all the new content and even that would be too much for the mighty Namco.

Linkified

hatchx said:
Namco is really losing ground imo.

Tekken and Soul Calibur aren't what they used to be....and the genre is pretty stagnant.
They couldn't whore Pacman more if they tried.
Their 'western' titles are mediocre at best and sell mediocre at best.
Look what has happened to the Tales franchise.

....what from Namco should I care about? I havn't purchased a title from them since Soul Calibur 2.

But but Enslaved

Kagari said:
Heh. Every post on there is begging for Tales. I don't blame people wanting them though... playing through Tales of Graces F right now and it's really good.

I'm reaching the end of Abyss and reading posts like these doesn't help the fact I'm becoming more inclined to play more of the series. Although I won't be as vocal as others, I wonder what significance if any NamcoBandai will take in consideration.

I hope people are post about Gundam Vs. like _dementia mentioned we are still lacking good mecha action titles.

entremet

LiK said:
The problem with that is the PS3 ver has a new character and scenarios so they would need to localize all the new content and even that would be too much for the mighty Namco.
New VA too.

@Farmharm: I played Vesperia on the 360. I sure as hell would've had a hard time playing that in Japanese. Not to mention missing all the skits. Sure I could probably get one of those walkthroughs for imports JRPGs, but that's no way to play a game.

Canova

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I have a feeling if they localized Tales of Xillia or Tales of Graces f or Tales of Vesperia PS3, it will sell more than Enslaved. :lol

no doubt that each of those Tales title will outsale Enslaved

Enslaved was a pretty good game. Best retail release with the Namco name this gen, better then the 2 Tales games I played this gen. Don't know how anyone could expect it to be a big game though. Would like Graces to come out here, but I doubt a stupid facebook thing is going to do anything.

And Tales is never about the story? BS. Vepseria, Abyss, and Symphonia all have incredible focus on their story.

canova said:
no doubt that each of those Tales title will outsale Enslaved
Yeah, because Vesperia was such a big hit right!

LiK

Rahxephon91 said:
And Tales is never about the story? BS. Vepseria, Abyss, and Symphonia all have incredible focus on their story.
Yea, ToV had such great characters and a satisfying ending. Really good stuff.

farnham said:
to be fair

tales is never about the story as it is cliche animu crap all the time

tales is about the battle system
:-/

The battle system is good but the plot and narrative are a huge part of pretty much any JRPG, especially ToV.

Canova

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Enslaved was a pretty good game. Best retail release with the Namco name this gen, better then the 2 Tales games I played this gen. Don't know how anyone could expect it to be a big game though. Would like Graces to come out here, but I doubt a stupid facebook thing is going to do anything.

Yeah, because Vesperia was such a big hit right!

They just chose the wrong platform.

They tried to sell Japanese title in the platform dominated by bro-gamers, good luck with that

canova said:
They just chose the wrong platform.

They tried to sell Japanese title in the platform dominated by bro-gamers, good luck with that
Yeah, because being on the PS3 would magically make it sell better. You know that system with such amazing non bro games such as:

Killzone 2
MAG
Socom Confrontation
Uncharted 1 and 2
and the incredible Niche nerd game known as God of War 3
I bet you senpais can't wait till Killzone 3 and Socom 4 come out. Resistance 3 looks good don't you think conova-chan.

Man the 360 sure sucks with it's bro games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Magna Carta, and Tales of Vepseira. Total Bro Gamer System, whatever the fuck that means.

7Th

Kagari said:

Really? I'm pretty sure there is no Tales game with more dialogue or written text than Ar Tonelico 3, which is coming to America.

Canova

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Yeah, because being on the PS3 would magically make it sell better. You know that system with such amazing non bro games such as:

Killzone 2
MAG
Socom Confrontation
Uncharted 1 and 2
and the incredible Niche nerd game known as God of War 3
I bet you senpais can't wait till Killzone 3 and Socom 4 come out. Resistance 3 looks good don't you think conova-chan.

Man the 360 sure sucks with it's bro games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Magna Carta, and Tales of Vepseira.

and each one of those Japanese title flopped in 360, so what's your point?

canova said:
and each one of those Japanese title flopped in 360, so what's your point?
That your comment was dumb as rocks.

Oh and Lost Odyssey did pretty well, but I guess that's a bro game too.

Being on PS3 isn't going to make the title sell magically better here. It has nothing to do with the 360 being a bro system, especially when the PS3 isn't some super niche rpg bread winner. It has more to do with the miss management of the franchise as a whole(lets release the Symphonia followup on another system!) and maybe just general lack of interests in what the franchise does. What makes you think that the PS3 has some magical user base that is open to something like Tales and will make it a big success? I have no idea myself as I'm not sure what makes a system a bro system. It's not like typical bro games like CoD and Madden aren't also popular on the PS3. Isn't CoD the most played online PS3 game? It's not like Eternal Sonata's PS3 port sold amazingly either. Want does that say about PS3 gamers(well to me it says they don't like shit). So I really don't understand where you are getting this idea. Hell Valkyria Chronicles didn't do too hot on the PS3 did it. By your logic shouldn't a non bro system(which I guess makes it an otaku system?) buy a game like VP like hotckakes? What about Folksoul?

Rahxephon91 said:
It has more to do with the miss management of the franchise as a whole(lets release the Symphonia followup on another system!)

I'm not going to argue that Namco knows what the fuck they're doing with the Tales series, because they clearly don't, but this makes no sense to me. Symphonia came out on the GameCube and the sequel was released on the Wii several years later. Seems like a pretty logical thing to do to me.

rainking187 said:
I'm not going to argue that Namco knows what the fuck they're doing with the Tales series, because they clearly don't, but this makes no sense to me. Symphonia came out on the GameCube and the sequel was released on the Wii several years later. Seems like a pretty logical thing to do to me.
I'm talking about Abyss.

Canova

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
That your comment was dumb as rocks.

Oh and Lost Odyssey did pretty well, but I guess that's a bro game too.

Being on PS3 isn't going to make the title sell magically better here. It has nothing to do with the 360 being a bro system, especially when the PS3 isn't some super niche rpg bread winner. It has more to do with the miss management of the franchise as a whole(lets release the Symphonia followup on another system!) and maybe just general lack of interests in what the franchise does. What makes you think that the PS3 has some magical user base that is open to something like Tales and will make it a big success? I have no idea myself as I'm not sure what makes a system a bro system. It's not like typical bro games like CoD and Madden aren't also popular on the PS3. Isn't CoD the most played online PS3 game? It's not like Eternal Sonata's PS3 port sold amazingly either. Want does that say about PS3 gamers(well to me it says they don't like shit). So I really don't understand where you are getting this idea. Hell Valkyria Chronicles didn't do too hot on the PS3 did it. By your logic shouldn't a non bro system(which I guess makes it an otaku system?) buy a game like VP like hotckakes? What about Folksoul?

why so angry? did I hurt your feeling in the past or something?

I said ToV flopped because they chose the wrong platform, 360. Had it been released in ps3, it would've done alot better. Period. If you don't believe that then you're fucking idiot.

If I was namco, I would have bundeled Tales of Vesperia PS3 with Demon's souls Black edition.

canova said:
I said ToV flopped because they chose the wrong platform, 360. Had it been released in ps3, it would've done alot better. Period. If you don't believe that then you're fucking idiot.
They should have made it multiplatform from the beginning for best results.

PS: calm down, guys :p

canova said:
why so angry? did I hurt your feeling in the past or something?

How am I an idiot? You have no reason to believe that other then some obvious bias. There is simply no real proof that if Vesperia was on the PS3 it would sell better in the US. I may be an idiot, but I'm not you. So how about actually giving a reasonable argument instead of going "lol bro gamers". At least this idiot here had some examples.

rainking187 said:
So you're mad they released the Tales games on more than one system?
Huh? I have Abyss. I don't even like Symphonia. What are you talking about? The point is that instead of selling a new game and perhaps building up the audience that perhaps Symphiona created, they didn't have a cube release of Abyss. I understand that that made more sense for Japan, but it didn't help creating and sustaining the fanbase here. I thought one of the agreed problem with the series is that it moves around consoles so many times that no one really knows where it will go.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
rainking187 said:
So you're mad they released the Tales games on more than one system?
They built a substantial audience (in the West) with Symphonia.. if they had a lick of intelligence, they would have had at least a port of Abyss for GameCube for the overseas release.

Quixzlizx

I'm guessing this will have about as much of an effect on his Japanese Scamco masters as a random online petition would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom