• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale is pulling The Walking Dead: The Final Season from digital stores

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As the trials and tribulations of Telltale Games continue, various storefronts including Steam, GOG, and the Xbox One and PS4 stores have abruptly begun to halt sales of The Walking Dead: The Final Season.

In a statement provided to Kotaku, a Telltale representative says this decision comes after yesterday's news that "potential partners" might be brought in to finish production on episodes three and four of the series.

"We’re currently still working to find a way to hand off production of episodes 3 and 4 so that the season can be completed," said the representative. "The outcome of those efforts will determine when and how The Final Season returns to stores. We hope to have a firm announcement before the end of the week."

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3273...Dead_The_Final_Season_from_digital_stores.php

Since I have not downloaded it yet (paid for it), and am now unable to... is this cause for mass refunds by the storefronts?

Welcome to the digital future.

Last edited:
Oof, I feel for ya deep. Did you get it on steam? I'm wondering If I deleted it now If I could download it again.

Hopefully they can complete the production on those episodes and all this sketchy business will be a foot note in the conclusion to Clem's story. With all that's going on I don't feel great about the likelihood of that, though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oof, I feel for ya deep. Did you get it on steam? I'm wondering If I deleted it now If I could download it again.

Hopefully they can complete the production on those episodes and all this sketchy business will be a foot note in the conclusion to Clem's story. With all that's going on I don't feel great about the likelihood of that, though.

PSN. I have it downloaded I believe from pre-order and pre-load. I will have to check to confirm. Maybe I can get episode two from within the game, otherwise, there is going to be some uproar in the gaming community I wager.

Fbh

Makes sense, no point in still selling it if they don't even know if it will be finished

On a somewhat off topic note. Is Telltale Batman still worth playing ? I have it from Ps+ and wanted to give it try but if it's going to be some big ongoing story that's now never going to get an end I probably won't even start

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Makes sense, no point in still selling it if they don't even know if it will be finished

On a somewhat off topic note. Is Telltale Batman still worth playing ? I have it from Ps+ and wanted to give it try but if it's going to be some big ongoing story that's now never going to get an end I probably won't even start

Yes, but you can't even get it when you already paid for it. They could have had it set to no more purchases, but still there for those that did, kind of like pre-order items and themes not allowing purchase, but able to be seen and downloaded on the networks.

They totally killed it for those those who DID pay for it as well. Thus I did NOT get what I paid for, at all because I did not download in time, you know before they pulled it without announcing they were going to.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes, but you can't even get it when you already paid for it. They could have had it set to no more purchases, but still there for those that did, kind of like pre-order items and themes not allowing purchase, but able to be seen and downloaded on the networks.

They totally killed it for those those who DID pay for it as well. Thus I did NOT get what I paid for, at all because I did not download in time, you know before they pulled it without announcing they were going to.

Depends on the platform, I'm honestly not sure how PSN works. With Steam and Xbox, if you purchased the game before it was "pulled" from the digital storefront, you are free to delete it / redownload it whenever you'd like in the future. I've got games on Steam that were pulled years ago that are still playable. I also have a few Xbox games that have been pulled for licensing issues - they still show up on my "ready to install" menu. If PSN doesn't do that, then yeah definitely time to ask for a refund.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Depends on the platform, I'm honestly not sure how PSN works. With Steam and Xbox, if you purchased the game before it was "pulled" from the digital storefront, you are free to delete it / redownload it whenever you'd like in the future. I've got games on Steam that were pulled years ago that are still playable. I also have a few Xbox games that have been pulled for licensing issues - they still show up on my "ready to install" menu. If PSN doesn't do that, then yeah definitely time to ask for a refund.

Yes, but you also need to "purchase" the episodes individually as they launch on all the platforms. As in, "add to cart or download" to trigger the license for each episode, even if they are free due to the season pass. I did not get the chance to add Episode 2 yet, I still have the base game and can still redownload that.

I will double check in game if I can do that, but they are not showing up on the webstore.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3273...Dead_The_Final_Season_from_digital_stores.php

Since I have not downloaded it yet (paid for it), and am now unable to... is this cause for mass refunds by the storefronts?

Welcome to the digital future.

The last sentence sounds so edgy towards digital games. It’s not the “digital futures” fault that Telltale Games suffer, and of course you will get refunded if you don’t get what you paid for.

It’s not the digital futures fault you didn’t get what you paid for. You could have pre ordered the game in GameStop and the same thing would have happened.

You paid for something that you ain’t gonna get, and therefore you get refunded instead. I don’t get why digital sale is the villain here other than an old mindset.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The last sentence sounds so edgy towards digital games. It’s not the “digital futures” fault that Telltale Games suffer, and of course you will get refunded if you don’t get what you paid for.

It’s not the digital futures fault you didn’t get what you paid for. You could have pre ordered the game in GameStop and the same thing would have happened.

You paid for something that you ain’t gonna get, and therefore you get refunded instead. I don’t get why digital sale is the villain here other than an old mindset.

I am unable at this time to download Episode 2 (tentatively). The game came out so far, if I had a disc, I would not have this issue. But since you are ever the contrarian, these are still causes for concern for digital. I buy lots of digital, but I can still criticize it when silly shit happens. It will be okay.

And that comment was a heavy dose of sarcasm, to mirror what everyone else does. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_smirking:

Either way this whole situation has been fubar.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yes, but you also need to "purchase" the episodes individually as they launch on all the platforms. As in, "add to cart or download" to trigger the license for each episode, even if they are free due to the season pass. I did not get the chance to add Episode 2 yet, I still have the base game and can still redownload that.

I will double check in game if I can do that, but they are not showing up on the webstore.

Oh yeah - that's definitely a byproduct of Playstation's shit webstore. With both Xbox and Steam the individual episodes are DLC but they're automatically added to your account as they're released. Hopefully you're able to redeem in-game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh yeah - that's definitely a byproduct of Playstation's shit webstore. With both Xbox and Steam the individual episodes are DLC but they're automatically added to your account as they're released. Hopefully you're able to redeem in-game.

That may be the case as well in the game list, I have yet to check on the console itself.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

Yes. I really enjoyed what Telltale did with their Batman series. They had an interesting take on matters regarding the Waynes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes. I really enjoyed what Telltale did with their Batman series. They had an interesting take on matters regarding the Waynes.

As did I, and yes, it is worth playing. The story does not end in a way that forces to play the second... too much.

Top Bottom