• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead - Story Discussion (UNMARKED SPOILERS)

Jarlaxle

Just finished this right now. I played Episode 1 back in May or June or whenever it came out. I waited until a couple of weeks ago to start Episdoe 2 and went straight through them. I really enjoyed it. Episdoes 2 and 3 were the standouts to me while I think 4 was probably my least favorite. It dragged a little too much for me. I enjoyed the quicker pace of episode 5.

I think that more than half of my choices were not in the majority. A litte surprised. I think I may have been a little more practical than some people. I never really had the attachment to Clem that most people seemed to have. While I liked her very much and wanted to protect her, the ending didn't really pull at my heartstrings much at all. However, that scene in episode 3 where you have to walk with Kenny to go say goodbye and eventually shoot Duck. That shit had my straight up crying. Amazing moment that really stuck with me.

Kenny was my favorite character (other than Lee). I felt so bad to see him go. He was my buddy. Ugh.

Quick question about that scene after the credits. Are the two people Clem sees on the horizon supposed to be Omid and Christina (I think that was her name), or was it supposed to be walkers/new people?

I assume that since this did very well they will be making a second season continuing on with Clem?

Trigger

Quick question about that scene after the credits. Are the two people Clem sees on the horizon supposed to be Omid and Christina (I think that was her name), or was it supposed to be walkers/new people?

Left intentionally vague. lol, people even tried examining the character models.

I assume that since this did very well they will be making a second season continuing on with Clem?

We don't know, but I'd feel that such a thing would be the most in line with the comic's themes and nature.

inm8num2

I'm guessing the new content will
give Clementine a transition into life without Lee, and season 2 will pick up with Clementine firmly established in her new survival efforts.

Kadayi

Banned
Hyped about the recent news. I suspect it will be maybe a bridging episode setting up the future group before season 2 proper. Can't wait.

Splatt

Finished the game few days ago. Last two eps felt kinda rushed. Still, I enjoyed the whole ride, even though I kept getting annoyed that most of my decision didn't mean squat in the long run.

I'm hoping that the success of WD doesn't mean that TT will stop making new seasons of their other franchises like Monkey Island and Sam & Max.

theowne

Just finished this game and was reading through the comments.

This question stuck out to me:

To the people who got an emotional reaction out of the game, like me: Would you get that same amount of reaction if you read this as a comic book instead? How about as a movie, or a TV show? As a novel?

That's interesting to me because I was thinking the same thing as I was playing it. Personally, the game affected me more than most tv shows or movies do, even though objectively I feel like many movies have better writing or acting. And the reason is basically the very simple addition of adding a level of choice and interaction that makes me feel like a participant in the world.

A good example is Kenny. Probably, in a movie, I would hate the guy by the end because he does so much annoying shit. In the game, though I hated him often, I also felt close to him because we had been together from the start. So even if he pissed me off, I never despised him. If I was just an observer of a movie, it would be much easier for me to just hate him.

Another example is the ending. Of course it was sad, but I also felt something else. I kept hoping and looking for some option that could delay the inevitable, which of course never came , and that emotion was worse than just being depressed. It was more like a feeling of helplessness. Again, not something I would have felt if I was just watching it all as a movie.

I notice a lot of people using the term "interactive movie" in a derogatory way. Personally, that's what I think this game is, I don't think that it's a negative thing, and I feel that it is weaker when it diverges from that too much (i.e. extended puzzle solving on the train). It's just a different genre of game, maybe a "sub-genre" of adventure game, and I really enjoyed it.

Finally, when it comes to choice, I think that, obviously, anyone would prefer to have more choices that matter and to have story lines branch out more clearly, multiple endings, etc. I think Telltale probably wishes they could do that too. I don't know much about the industry but I assume it's a matter of budget. Hopefully if these games become more popular, they can spend more time crafting more varying storylines. But I was never disappointed with TWD as I was playing it.

Violet_0

Banned
played through all episodes in one go yesterday. Episodes 1 & 2 were fantastic (even though the "secret" in episode 2 was very predictable), episodes 3-5 were quite good but not great. After finishing the series I went to gamefaqs.com and discovered that nearly every decision leads to almost the exact same outcome. I mean, I heard about this before, but wow - Telltale really did managed to produce a game about choices and consequences in which nothing what you do actually really matters :(

I understand why they did this - the more variables there are, the more content they have to produce of which 95% of the players will never get to see all of it anyway - but it's still very disappointing. Ah well, still looking forward to season 2, maybe they change a few things about the gameplay.

As a side note, I noticed that gaffer Gary Whitta of was the lead writer of episode 4 and co-writer on some of the other episodes! Also, Clementine is one of the more well-written character I've seen in a long time.

and just for the fun, here are some screenshots of my post-game stats (forgot to take one from episode 4)
episode 1
episode 2
episode 3
episode 5

MrDaravon

Bought all of of the episodes on 360 over Christmas (?) when the first episode was free and all of the other ones were half off; I had played through Episode 1 at the time, but then just got around to playing episodes 2-5 in one go all day today.

This was possibly the worst goddamn idea. I am an emotional wreck. Fuck.

pargonta

played through all episodes in one go yesterday. Episodes 1 & 2 were fantastic (even though the "secret" in episode 2 was very predictable), episodes 3-5 were quite good but not great. After finishing the series I went to gamefaqs.com and discovered that nearly every decision leads to almost the exact same outcome. I mean, I heard about this before, but wow - Telltale really did managed to produce a game about choices and consequences in which nothing what you do actually really matters :(

I understand why they did this - the more variables there are, the more content they have to produce of which 95% of the players will never get to see all of it anyway - but it's still very disappointing. Ah well, still looking forward to season 2, maybe they change a few things about the gameplay.

just to point out a key point in this thread again, it is not a requisite for a story driven game to allow you to choose your own adventure and form your own story. you should not expect that from story and choice driven games in the future. the art form does not owe you branching paths. that may be what you want, but that's not the game's fault.

MrDaravon

Oh, and I've mentioned this elsewhere but I really hope Telltale gets their tech shit together for their next game. On 360 menus and everything are laggy as shit, and I had the game freeze on me twice forcing me to replay decent-sized segments, and I still know people that can't play the PC version.

That said I'm probably in day one for this as well as Fables (used to read the comic years ago).

spekkeh

Banned
just to point out a key point in this thread again, it is not a requisite for a story driven game to allow you to choose your own adventure and form your own story. you should not expect that from story and choice driven games in the future. the art form does not owe you branching paths. that may be what you want, but that's not the game's fault.

And I still think experiencing a nice interactive story, then afterwards reading gamefaqs and retroactively being bummed out about the smoke and mirrors is the same as not liking Lord of the Rings after you see the making of, and finding out it's all CGI. It's about the illusion of choice. No need for it to be actual choice.

Violet_0

Banned
And I still think experiencing a nice interactive story, then afterwards reading gamefaqs and retroactively being bummed out about the smoke and mirrors is the same as not liking Lord of the Rings after you see the making of, and finding out it's all CGI. It's about the illusion of choice. No need for it to be actual choice.

it's not what games should strife for in my opinion. Computer games are interactive media, the actions you take during the game should be meaningful in some way. What they did with Walking Dead is incredibly lazy, and the game outright lies to you about the choices having any significant impact on numerous occasions. And I was already vaguely aware that your decision wouldn't matter in the end, just not that they lead exactly the same outcome (nearly) every single time. In retrospective and after having watched the TV series up to the latest episode, I'm kind of disappointed with this game. I still like the first two episodes though

Mr. RHC

So what was everyone's hardest decision? It probably was the "taking the supplies from the car" one for me, I had a major "oh shii" moment when it turned out to be so fatal in the end, lol.

pargonta

So what was everyone's hardest decision? It probably was the "taking the supplies from the car" one for me, I had a major "oh shii" moment when it turned out to be so fatal in the end, lol.

oh i took that stuff no problem, lol

the final things with clem stand out, specifically telling her where to go and who to trust.
i told her to stay away from omid and christa and trust no one, for example, which was a really hard decision.

Trigger

Why would you tell her to stay away from Omid and Christa? They're only in the city to help you, and both of them seem responsible enough to look after a little girl.

Bladenic

Episode 2 was fuck amazing. The last part during the storm, Jesus.

Anyone else feel EXTREMELY bad for poor Mark? I really liked him too. Poor dude.

Mark was cool--I was excited to hang out with him and, well, we all know what happened.

Also, I felt ep 2 was too predictable (but after the main reveal happens, it's pretty wondeful). I think ep 3 was the best one of the series and ep 5 was a nice, if very short, cap to the whole 1st series.

Trigger

Episode 2 was fuck amazing. The last part during the storm, Jesus.

Anyone else feel EXTREMELY bad for poor Mark? I really liked him too. Poor dude.

Why are you so LTTP tho?

I felt sorta sorry for Mark, but I knew him for all of one episode so I didn't shed any tears.

Bladenic

Why are you so LTTP tho?

I felt sorta sorry for Mark, but I knew him for all of one episode so I didn't shed any tears.

Well I hardly shed tears lmao. Just his death was so gruesome and sad, and he was likable unlike some of these other fucks.

Edit: HOLY FUCK LILLY YOU BITCH!! CARLEY NOOOOOO!!!!!!

DAMN it why wasn't there an option to blast a cap in Lilly's dumbass self? Fuck her and fuck Larry. I wish they showed us Lilly getting ate. I know it's spoilers, but does she reappear? Or is she a character in the comics or TV show as well like Glenn?

I know it's spoilers, but does she reappear? Or is she a character in the comics or TV show as well like Glenn?

Technically she's a character in the comics. [I say technically because her in-game actions aren't canon after a novel released contradicting her actions within it.]

Trigger

Well I hardly shed tears lmao. Just his death was so gruesome and sad, and he was likable unlike some of these other fucks.

Edit: HOLY FUCK LILLY YOU BITCH!! CARLEY NOOOOOO!!!!!!

DAMN it why wasn't there an option to blast a cap in Lilly's dumbass self? Fuck her and fuck Larry. I wish they showed us Lilly getting ate. I know it's spoilers, but does she reappear? Or is she a character in the comics or TV show as well like Glenn?

Carley was supposed to be my booty call.
r4CiE.png

Lily is in the comics.

If you don't care about comic spoilers:
last we ever see of her she's out of ammo and stuck in an over run prison.

Bladenic

Carley was supposed to be my booty call.
r4CiE.png

Lily is in the comics.

If you don't care about comic spoilers:
last we ever see of her she's out of ammo and stuck in an over run prison.

I read that they retconed her and this Lily is an original character now? Shit, I hope she reappears in S2 only to die brutally.

But if they are one and the same, I hope comic Lily dies.
And she's the one who kills Lori and her baby? Jesus, DIE BITCH!

JustinBB7

Just finished ep 5, Finished it in 6 days, I played one episode every night at midnight. Had to skip 1 night but besides that played 1 ep straight every night.

God damn the feels.

Some questions:

How many people can survive at the end? I killed Ben because he's a fuckhead and he was responsible for stealing meds, and because he didn't confess the cute girl got shot by Lilly. But at the end only Clem, Omid and Christa are alive. What's possible here? Lilly, Ben maybe?

If you don't take the supplies from the car, does Clem get kidnapped as well? I certainly think so but what's the reason for it then?

I just watched all the stat trailers, good watch if you haven't yet and just finished the game. They're over here: http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead

Trigger

Some questions:

How many people can survive at the end? I killed Ben because he's a fuckhead and he was responsible for stealing meds, and because he didn't confess the cute girl got shot by Lilly. But at the end only Clem, Omid and Christa are alive. What's possible here? Lilly, Ben maybe?

If you don't take the supplies from the car, does Clem get kidnapped as well? I certainly think so but what's the reason for it then?

I just watched all the stat trailers, good watch if you haven't yet and just finished the game. They're over here: http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead

1)Christa, Omid, Molly and Clem are the only survivors. Obviously characters like Glenn from the earlier episode live if they have a comic role to play. Everyone else bites it one way or the other.

2)Regardless of whether you take the goods, you still get blamed. The Stranger simply needed a reason to justify his problems and desire to kidnap Clem.

Helmholtz

Just finished ep 5, Finished it in 6 days, I played one episode every night at midnight. Had to skip 1 night but besides that played 1 ep straight every night.

God damn the feels.

Some questions:

Heh, you're about the discover a major point of debate on the forums. The fact that most major plot points are predetermined and your choices arguably don't actually affect the story too much. Ben dies no matter what, Lilly (if you let her stay) steals the RV and goes away (fate unknown). Other than that the only possible survivors are Clem, Omid and Christa as far as I know. Apparently if you don't take the supplies the rest of your group takes them anyway and the kidnapper still blames you.
It's up to you whether or not that's disappointing. Personally it didn't affect my experience at all, because I didn't find out until later, and the game unfolded in a pretty natural way for me.

JustinBB7

Heh, you're about the discover a major point of debate on the forums. The fact that most major plot points are predetermined and your choices arguably don't actually affect the story too much. Ben dies no matter what, Lilly (if you let her stay) steals the RV and goes away (fate unknown). Other than that the only possible survivors are Clem, Omid and Christa as far as I know. Apparently if you don't take the supplies the rest of your group takes them anyway and the kidnapper still blames you.
It's up to you whether or not that's disappointing. Personally it didn't affect my experience at all, because I didn't find out until later, and the game unfolded in a pretty natural way for me.

I don't really mind. Would it have been better to have more different outcomes and have your decisions be bigger? Sure, but looking at the stats trailers, most of the big choices that CAN impact the game are around 15/20% to 75/80%. The few ones that are closer are ones that won't matter that much in the end. The final one with Clem shooting you or leaving you is around 50/50, you die either way.

It's kinda like the Witcher, why make all this content if only 15% sees it. It's cool but wastes a lot of their time/money I suppose.

Colocho

Banned
1)Christa, Omid, Molly and Clem are the only survivors.

To be fair, in both of Kenny's "deaths" we never see what actually happens to him, well in any other kind of game it'd be obvious to assume he's dead, but in the Walking Dead universe if you don't see them die, there's still a chance they're alive, so I wouldn't put it past the devs to have Kenny make a cameo appearence or maybe even have a bigger role in the story.

JustinBB7

To be fair, in both of Kenny's "deaths" we never see what actually happens to him, well in any other kind of game it'd be obvious to assume he's dead, but in the Walking Dead universe if you don't see them die, there's still a chance they're alive, so I wouldn't put it past the devs to have Kenny make a cameo appearence or maybe even have a bigger role in the story.

I think so too, how else can Kenny die? Besides the saving Christa one.

Trigger

lol, I'm still not convinced. Molly at least has a bigger window to survive. Kenny was surrounded on all sides with an empty gun as his only weapon. That's a shitload of pistol whipping. If only there was another salt lick around......

If you kept Ben, then he falls into an alley and attracts a small horde of walkers. There's no chance to save Ben so Kenny chooses to mercy kill him and stay behind in the alley.

Colocho

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsMurzkzUqg

IMO I think this one is better than the other one (and it's the one I got cause I saved Ben).

lol, I'm still not convinced. Molly at least has a bigger window to survive. Kenny was surrounded on all sides with an empty gun as his only weapon. That's a shitload of pistol whipping. If only there was another salt lick around......

Yeah I know the odds are clearly against him surviving, but I think there's a reason why in neither of his deaths we see him actually dying. Maybe he doesn't appear in season 2, but maybe they decided to leave it like that so that they could use him again if they wanted to.

Great game. It's better than ToMI and really captures the feel of old adventure games while still being modern. The ending was rather sad but it made for an awesome game. I really enjoyed it. Is BTTF, JP, SnM season 2 and 3 any good? Thinking about buying one of those.

My main issues were technical, the game did crash once (on the train level, after training Clementine to use a gun, I couldn't cut her hair or show her the map or do anything) and the framerate issues. Often times I felt the game was about to crash, and I'm not one to really notice framerates....

Do we know what platforms S2 are going to be on? I would honestly replay S1 if it got released on vita, especially if it's cross buy with the ps3 version.

Rikyfree

Just finished the game. I was getting awkward stares from the family because I was crying like a little girl. This fucking game and the feels.

I watched the Dawn of the Dead 2004 remake last night.

The similarities between DotD and TWD game get so close at times that I was almost ready to call plagiarism. Like:

- The car crash at the beginning. Even the imagery of driving down the freeway is pretty similar.

- Andre and Lee are similar in that they both allude to doing bad things, and because of that they want to provide a better life for a child (Clem and uh.. I guess the zombie baby).

- Eastern European waifu character

- The whole plan to get to a character's boat to escape is exactly the same.

- Having to venture into a besieged store to retrieve something (the gun shop in DotD and the Everett family store in TWD).

- There is a parallel between using the train in TWD and the armored buses in DotD to escape from the hordes of zombies.

- There's the whole "character got bit and now must sacrifice himself" trope that's shared between Lee Everett and Michael at the end.

- Hell, Kenny even looks and acts in an irrational redneck fashion like CJ:

Kennyhospital.png
dawnofthedead-1.jpg

TWD is still one of the best games of 2012. This doesn't affect that one bit as a lot of its success is due to its own stellar writing and character development. But i'd certainly like the next season to have a bit more originality in its storylines.

WTF?! What was that ending after the credits? Clementine went off somewhere by herself when I told her to find Omid and Christa?

Also, "You and 36% told Clementine to leave Lee"... why would you wanna tell that little girl to do that? Lee was handcuffed... he wouldn't have gone after her. I mean shit. Forcing her to shoot the only person she cared for when it wasn't crucial? NOPE! I would never.

Also, wtf the car stealing having a crucial part in the story. DON'T LEAVE YOUR CAR UNATTENDED THEN. What happens if you don't steal the stuff? How does the story change?

LOL @ "Did you help Omid?" I was gonna help him, but I panicked and pressed the wrong button then he was all pissed at me for a while. WHATEVER.

Episode 2 was INSANE. I was shitting myself with the meat thing. Great game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally finished this. I played episode 1-3 then kind of got sidetracked. Great series and great (awful) ending. Can't wait to see the DLC.

RiZ III

Just finished this and I have to say the ending was a bit abrupt. I was expecting more for some reason. Guess I'll see what's in the 400 days episode.

Overall I thought the episode with the cannibal family and the death of duck and the wife were the best episodes. The Duck death scene was the only one I had a funny feeling in my throught as I held back being more emotional.

The last episode was a but slow and really emo, I'm assuming it had a different writer? Felt very different.

The story and presentation in this game were way better than the tv show imo. The show has no likable characters and moves really slow and is also worse acted. The comic reigns supreme but this game does the universe justice.

Jake

Just finished this and I have to say the ending was a bit abrupt. I was expecting more for some reason. Guess I'll see what's in the 400 days episode.

Overall I thought the episode with the cannibal family and the death of duck and the wife were the best episodes. The Duck death scene was the only one I had a funny feeling in my throught as I held back being more emotional.

The last episode was a but slow and really emo, I'm assuming it had a different writer? Felt very different.

The story and presentation in this game were way better than the tv show imo. The show has no likable characters and moves really slow and is also worse acted. The comic reigns supreme but this game does the universe justice.

1, 3, and 5 were written by the same person, and the whole season was overseen by the same core of people.

Just finished this and I have to say the ending was a bit abrupt. I was expecting more for some reason. Guess I'll see what's in the 400 days episode

I don't think the 400 episode will feature Lee or Clementine. It seems like it's about five new characters and their stories. Might be some cameos though.

Top Bottom