• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tenchu Community Thread: "I see you have come to meet your fate".

Bulbasaur

Banned
Great games that suffered from poor graphics. Same as the Shinobido games. Bad looking games.

The first game's visuals blew my mind at the time. Running on rooftops. Mocap assassinations. I actually ran out and bought a Psx just to play it. I don't believe there was anything wrong with the graphics, considering the hardware. Tenchu Z possibly though.

Arklite

I've only played Tenchu 2 and loved it. I tried playing Tenchu 3 last year but didn't get very far. The levels in that game are surprisingly narrower and kind of boring compared to 2's. Didn't have the same charm.

Also played Shinibido 2, has some cool ideas with the faction manipulation.

Tizoc

Y'all need to look into playing the JP version of the original PSOne games as there was a release that featured some fanmade stages and put on a disc.

The original Tenchu is still the best in the series and also has one of the best gaming soundtracks ever. The FMV intro is freaking awesome still to this day and the levels were brilliant, so many ways to tackle the enemies and objectives.

Gradon

Y'all need to look into playing the JP version of the original PSOne games as there was a release that featured some fanmade stages and put on a disc.

Shinobi Gaisen and Shinobi Hyakusen.
I own both physically. Gaisen was a re release of 1 with a level editor, and Hyakusen was like 300 fan made levels from the community using the Tenchu 1 level editor.

Shame the PS2 games didn't get a level editor.

Tenchu1 is classic. Unfortunately I never played 2. Not sure why really, but I played a few of the later games and liked them. I haven't played any in a while, but I recall being very disappointed in the sequels due to the corridor-ness/linearity as opposed to the sandboxes the first game had. So far ahead of it's time. With the rise of open spaces in games and the success of mgsv and Hitman. I'd love to see a sandbox tenchu game with emergent gameplay and various methods of assassination with modern graphics and design

So I'm playing Tenchu 2 this weekend and omg I miss the Mission Editor so much. Why can't modern games implement something like this anymore? It's really fun playing through the campaign and unlocking more tilesets and characters and making my own missions and maps from scratch.

Gradon

So I'm playing Tenchu 2 this weekend and omg I miss the Mission Editor so much. Why can't modern games implement something like this anymore? It's really fun playing through the campaign and unlocking more tilesets and characters and making my own missions and maps from scratch.

I played so much of that back in the day. It's truly ridiculous how much I love it.
The PSP game had the best level editor though, it was so good.

Sesha

Tenchu always had a lot of cool features. Editor in 2, Boss Rush, co-op and versus in 3, boss time attack in Fatal Shadows.

Top Bottom