• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic isn't actually playing that well - he's 6 winners to 9 UEs. It's just, Nishikori is playing like someone outside the top 50 right now.

Smellycat

Yuck, and here I was hoping this match would be long so that Djokovic would at least be tired (on equal level as Murray). Tomorrow is going to be a massacre

It's only one match for the season so hopefully physical factors aren't too big a factor tomorrow. I thought Murray would be wrecked after that epic against Nishikori but he came out and wrecked Wawrinka. Djokovic is definitely the favourite though.

Oh my word Djokovic is being pretty brutal but this is pretty pathetic from Nishikori. The generation below the big 4 are all so weak mentally in the big matches.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nishikori 8-21. Hasn't hit a winner since 4-1 in the first set. Djokovic 10-10. Just pathetic, absolutely pathetic. Why not retire if you know you're not fit to play?

raw

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Nishikori hits his first winner in 6 games, lol.

EDIT: Is this even making an hour?

EDIT: Kei avoids the bagel and the prospect of this being a sub-hour match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
First time the WTF final has been the YE#1 decider since 2001!

Shame Djokovic basically got a walk-over and Murray had a match approaching 4 hours. Can't see Murray overcoming that in a day, and even on a good day it's not the best match-up for him.

He should be able to get the #1 ranking back early next year and keep it for a while though.

Raonic finishes the season at #3!

Never thought I'd see a Canadian in the top 3 (Yes, I know Fed and Nadal are injured.....but Raonic had a bunch of injuries too!)

Xun

I don't think there's much of a chance Murray will win. He must be shattered!

A shame, but hopefully it won't take him too long to get back #1 again.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
that overhead was astonishingly shit AND the ball was going out anyway.

but djokosee, djokosmash

I know Murray is playing well now, but I don't think he's going to win this. The fact he's started out so aggressive and is going for winners at the first opportunity, even in risky situations, is very out of character for him. Makes me think he's playing on adrenaline and his body won't cope with longer points. I think he'll fade as the match goes on.

murray is clearly trying to put some pace on the ball in the early stages, probably because he's knackered and is going for it straight away. he absolutely crushed the ball in that last point.

but djokosee, djokosmash

I know Murray is playing well now, but I don't think he's going to win this. The fact he's started out so aggressive and is going for winners at the first opportunity, even in risky situations, is very out of character for him. Makes me think he's playing on adrenaline and his body won't cope with longer points. I think he'll fade as the match goes on.

it's a win the first set or bust strategy which is definitely the right one given both his record and his tiredness.

Smellycat

Wow color me surprised

Murray takes the first set 6-3 and he actually looks like the more confident player. Djokovic is leaking errors.

It was crucial for Murray to win that first set!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray playing really, really well. I can't remember the last time I saw this much focused aggression from him - good few months, at least.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well.

Well well well.

Well well well well well.

Djokovic is getting worse and worse as the match goes on. Had positive winners/UEs early on, it's going rapidly negative now. Basically just threw that last game away.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
this is fantastic from murray. about the best he's played all year which no one would have considered an hour ago.

Maybe being fuckarse tired is actually really good for him?

EDIT: Murray throwing in some casual botting. Lad.

EDIT: Total mental collapse from Djokovic going on.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What;s really interesting is that Djokovic has actually hit more winners but also more UEs. In almost every match they play, it's the other way round - Murray feels pressured all the time and pulls his forehand too often, giving him some winners but ultimately losing the match. This is... bizarro world Murrovic here, with Murray confidently pressing in the rallies and Djokovic losing patience.

Top Bottom