• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Now that Murray has finally reached #1, I wonder who'll follow the Big Four at the top spot? Djokovic and Murray will probably trade it back and forth through 2017, but beyond that it could be someone like Raonic or Nishikori - fear Wawrinka is too old and inconsistent to make a serious go at it - or straight on to a "next gen" leader (I'd back Zverev).

In a way it would be fitting if Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray completely blocked out half a decade's worth of players, and might be good to help the ATP move on from them.

Hazzuh

Now that Murray has finally reached #1, I wonder who'll follow the Big Four at the top spot? Djokovic and Murray will probably trade it back and forth through 2017, but beyond that it could be someone like Raonic or Nishikori - fear Wawrinka is too old and inconsistent to make a serious go at it - or straight on to a "next gen" leader (I'd back Zverev).

In a way it would be fitting if Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray completely blocked out half a decade's worth of players, and might be good to help the ATP move on from them.

The only comparable grouping to the big 4 are Connors/Bjorg/McEnroe/Lendl who managed over 14 years at #1 continuously (737 weeks I think). Right now Federer/Nadal/Djokovic/Murray are at 12 years 9 months (665 weeks), will be interesting to see if they make it to 737+. Lendl also added another 80 weeks after that to make it 817 total which seems like a big ask. Still, I don't see Wawrinka, Raonic or Nishikori ever getting to #1.

milanbaros

Member?
I wonder who the next star on the ATP will be?

The big 4 have dominated the sport for 10+ years an no one has come close.

I think the ATP tour has only really gone through one period without massive stars which is post Agassi and Sampras but pre Federer. Yes, you had Hewitt and Roddick but they weren't close to the big stars.

Ricker

Isner might pull this off...3 3 in the third set.

Or not...Isner missing some great chances near the net...oh well grats to Murray.

Ricker

''After 3 hours 48 minutes Pliskova defeats Mladenovic 16-14 in the final set to give the Czechs a 1-0 lead.''

Those FED matches are awesome sometimes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Can Djokovic take back world #1 if he beats Murray in the finals?

Something like that, I think he needs to do better than Murray. Murray is losing some points because of the Davis Cup final I think, but not sure how many points Djokovic would need to make up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Something like that, I think he needs to do better than Murray. Murray is losing some points because of the Davis Cup final I think, but not sure how many points Djokovic would need to make up.

Murray needs to do at least as well as Djokovic to retain number one. If they both record the same result (i.e., both SF losses), then Murray keeps it. So if they both make the final, that match will decide it.

If you take off Murray's DC points, he was on 10,910 coming into this. Djokovic was on 10,780. It's 200 for an RR win, 400 for a SF win, and 500 for champion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
this first set tiebreak is incredible.

EDIT: Absolutely deserved by Nishikori, fair play to him. That was some brilliant stuff, no shame in that.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
thank tennis christ murray got it done. now that disgusting donkey cheese billionaire will have to actually win the tournament if he wants to get another undeserved year-end number one.

What a match, amazing from Murray to come through it. Not many 3 setters go over 3.5 hours.

Don't see him beating Novak though, got a bit of a mental block against him.

milanbaros

Member?
Can imagine Murray getting stomped on tomorrow. Hasn't he just recorded the two longest WTF matches ever in the space of 4 days? This following a marathon run of matches and a very very long season.

After the week Murray has had with the 2 longest WTF matches ever tomorrow might just be one win too many but he's super close in the rankings now and Djokovic has a whole load of points to defend in early 2016 compared to very few for murray so we should see these 2 trade no1 often next year.

Jeez, Nishikori is a mental midget against Djokovic.

Top Bottom