• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA: Coming to PS4 and Xbox One in 2017

Izayoi

Banned
Enjoy it... I spent over a thousand hours on the PC version, once upon a time. Absolutely gorgeous world with an endgame that was rather lacking (at the time, it was just MCHM).

Not sure if it's improved on that front, but it has a lot going for it IMO.

Jolkien

Played at launch didn't even make it to max level it was thoroughly mediocre to average. Wonder how the game changed if there's a drought I might give it a go.

BigEmil

Played at launch didn't even make it to max level it was thoroughly mediocre to average. Wonder how the game changed of there's a drought I might give it a go.
You can look up YouTube videos of it, it changed alot since launch 2011 much better

MikeyMike

Given it is the English version, I'm guessing that it is censored. No uncensor patch either, for obvious reasons.

I remember hearing about this when the game came out... was it only affecting Elin outfits? It felt like a pretty minor change to me.

BigEmil

I remember hearing about this when the game came out... was it only affecting Elin outfits? It felt like a pretty minor change to me.
Yeah Elin's undies mostly, some undies is like a thong where in censored it turned into normal undies but the change is really minor

Hexer06

Signed up for the beta a while back I guess cuz it said I'm already signed up lol. Well I hope I get in. Haven't played since pretty much launch on pc.

Now if only GW2 would make the leap, I really enjoyed it on PC but I can't run it anymore.
Plus aside from inventory stuff control wise GW2 should have been a pretty manageable port.

It's pretty dang good for a free mmorpg. The combat feels awesome, all the classes are very unique. The only thing I have to gripe about is once you get to a point, the grind becomes very real, and the visuals are 6 years old. It was gorgeous for its time but now, it really shows its age.

This game had the best combat of any mmorpg. They ruined it when all the new classes were restricted to the child looking race and locking classes to specific genders.

NeOak

You might be thinking of Aion.

Tera was a lot of fun when I played it near PC launch. Very pretty and it was a lot of fun playing a tank. As the game is real time, more akin to an action game - smashing aside bosses big attacks with my shield and then ramming my lance into their face, whilst protecting the team behind me never got tiring. I'll look forward to this on PS4 later in year.

Played it when it was brand-new on PC. The combat was really good, but everything else seemed like the most boring MMORPG standard stuff. There was little to no exploration and everything seemed so lifeless.

Wondering how it evolved over the years. Will definitely give it another try on PS4.

Signed up for PS4. Thanks! I can't wait to run this on something better than my PC!

While the combat is fantastic, I also found the old-school MMO Quest grind a major chore... which makes me think I won't even get as far as I did on PC... But the beautiful locations and combat could make it worth it again, especially if I play a lot with my friends!

If you want something different, which also scratches an action-combat MMO itch, try Skyforge. If there has ever been a game that breaks the mold, it's that one.

So is this a typical F2P grindfest with a few dungeons and a million palette-swapped mobs? Or is it worth playing?

Agree with this. The combat is amazing, best in the genre. It kept me going through the content til about level 50.

The game is just too grindy, takes too long to get to end game. This was a few years ago though so maybe things have changed.

I'd definitely say check it out for the combat though.

It used to be a grindfest not sure about now. There were dungeons and they were pretty tough if I recall. The best thing about dungeons was disbanding the group afterwards and killing all your party members. I remember there being a decent variety in monsters. Around lvl 30? 50? you can fight some monsters called BAM's. Big ass monsters. They're zone unique bosses that require a group to kill.

You can take down strong huge enemies solo if you are skillful enough. If that sounds interesting to you, it is really worth checking out. Otherwise, it is as you describe above.

It did not start as F2P though, so the foundation is a bit more concrete perhaps.

More like level 10 if I remember correctly... they start early. And as I stated above, you can solo them if you are skillful enough. The combat is pure action. No locked targeting. For many people, that is what set the game apart and drew them in.

Tera is a very polished MMO (been kept updated for several years) and, in my opinion, is a much better game than Aion.

What sets it apart is the combat, which is action oriented and very fluid and precise. Game looks great and the BAM (Big Ass Monsters) models are quite original in some cases.

On the minus side, quests were boring and it could take quite a while to get into a dungeon with party search as a DPS.

I stopped playing when the Reaper class came out, so it's been a while and the game might have evolved to an even better game now. I'm actually seeing 4 other new classes now which is insane.

I played it at release, does the game still gear bases ? Even for a action RPG the equipment were way too important. You could kill BAM without getting hit, but everything else was really unbalanced. Did they correct that aspect ?

Hopefully we'll get to see more pking in the newbie area again so I can get back to pkking, truly the greatest form of entertainment. I wonder if they'll leave the "path" to Baldera open, or if it will even be accessible with console controls.

Enjoy it... I spent over a thousand hours on the PC version, once upon a time. Absolutely gorgeous world with an endgame that was rather lacking (at the time, it was just MCHM).

Not sure if it's improved on that front, but it has a lot going for it IMO.

Played at launch didn't even make it to max level it was thoroughly mediocre to average. Wonder how the game changed if there's a drought I might give it a go.

Is this the censored version or the uncensored version?

Given it is the English version, I'm guessing that it is censored. No uncensor patch either, for obvious reasons.

It's pretty dang good for a free mmorpg. The combat feels awesome, all the classes are very unique. The only thing I have to gripe about is once you get to a point, the grind becomes very real, and the visuals are 6 years old. It was gorgeous for its time but now, it really shows its age.

You guys are in for a surprise:

- BAMs were nerfed to the point that they are just big regular enemies
- Dungeons pre 65 were nerfed so bad a healer could solo them. They buffed them a bit, but meh
- Sandbox has been reduced in options.
- QoL changes means that it has been simplified to get you to endgame ASAP
- Endgame is a gear grind
- Lore took an arrow to the knee
- OWPvP is level 65 only. Can't gank anymore.

The game isn't difficult anymore. There is no "journey" to endgame, so you get to 65 in 8 to 10 hours.

Oh, and outfits aren't censored anymore.

If you do play however, hit me up in the Tempest Reach Server. Still GM of the GAF Guild lol.

Alexlf

You guys are in for a surprise:

- OWPvP is level 65 only. Can't gank anymore.

WHAT?! Is this for real? Even on the PVP servers? Dodging the clouds of level 60 gankers on the first towns bridge was genuinely one of the most memorable parts of the game, that'd be crushing if true.

How will they get this running on console when it runs so poorly on much more powerful computers? I stopped playing this about an hour int because of how inconsistent the performance was.

Xiaoki

How will they get this running on console when it runs so poorly on much more powerful computers? I stopped playing this about an hour int because of how inconsistent the performance was.
The PC version is only 32-bit. So, it's running off one CPU core and 3GB of RAM.

The console versions will actually help the PC version because to get it to run on consoles they would have to upgrade it to 64-bit.

That's what happened with ESO, but it took like a year for the 64-bit client to be released after the release of the console versions.

NeOak

WHAT?! Is this for real? Even on the PVP servers? Dodging the clouds of level 60 gankers on the first towns bridge was genuinely one of the most memorable parts of the game, that'd be crushing if true.

Yup

The PC version is only 32-bit. So, it's running off one CPU core and 3GB of RAM.

The console versions will actually help the PC version because to get it to run on consoles they would have to upgrade it to 64-bit.

That's what happened with ESO, but it took like a year for the 64-bit client to be released after the release of the console versions.
32 bits doesn't mean it cannot run in more than one core. 3GB RAM limit is irrelevant too since the game doesn't use more than 2GB.

The game can use 4 cores or more, but the UI will slow down the game in high population areas due to how it works with the server.

If they fix the UI, that would allow the game to run fine.

Xiaoki

Yup

32 bits doesn't mean it cannot run in more than one core. 3GB RAM limit is irrelevant too since the game doesn't use more than 2GB.

The game can use 4 cores or more, but the UI will slow down the game in high population areas due to how it works with the server.

If they fix the UI, that would allow the game to run fine.
I heard about an .ini tweak that would force the game to use 4 CPU cores but I never heard of anyone actually getting it to work.

And the UI bugs causing slowdown have been mostly ironed out.

But, really, who cares. The game in its current state on PC is completely incompatible with consoles. It will have to be redone from the ground up to even run on consoles, which should greatly improve the PC as well.

ESO did it and Black Desert is currently doing it so Tera has hope.

Just got an email with a brief survey to confirm platform, region, and language for the Tera Online console technical test coming in a week or so. Check your emails if you signed up for the beta, they said they are prioritizing codes for people who respond to the survey.

Laws00

i forgot to select the console i wanted and tried to do it again. wouldnt let me said my emai l was already in use lol

Ichabod

Banned
I played the game when it first launched and had a ton of fun but got tired of running the same handful of endgame dungeons and set it down. Way later down the line, I went back when they released the gunner class and found the game was still a blast even though it was easier to faceroll content that had once been quite a bit more challenging. Any chance they'll allow pc users to use their login info on xb1x?

Top Bottom