• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TESIV: Oblivion - So you want to start using mods, eh?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, this game is evil. I guess I'll stick to textures packs and OOO.
but I want Deadly Reflex too...

pirata

So, I guess for someone like me with a laptop running Vista 67, with 512 megs of vram, and who has very little experience with PC games in general, let alone modding them, this is all just a lost cause, isn't it? :(

Vinlaen

After you install all the mods and game looks amazing and has extra monsters, etc, what do you really do?

I think the game is too open ended for me which is too bad because some of these mods make the game look breath-taking :(

njr

Thanks for the headstart. I haven't fully played Oblivion yet, but I plan to with the overhauled textures. I would suppose the atmosphere is much better.

r1chard

Wow, with OOO this game is hard. Completely unlike the few playthroughs I did unmodded back in the day. I need to find me some easy quests to knock over :)

Clevinger

Vinlaen said:
After you install all the mods and game looks amazing and has extra monsters, etc, what do you really do?

I think the game is too open ended for me which is too bad because some of these mods make the game look breath-taking :(

Pick a guild and go join and do the quest line. The Dark Brotherhood (assassin guild) is good for any kind of character if none of the others interest you. If you don't know how to join, just kill some random, non-hostile NPC and then go to sleep somewhere.

r1chard

Oh yeah, so far I've installed:

• OBSE, BOSS and OBMM of course
  • Unofficial patches for Oblivion and Shivering Isles
  • OOO
  • Better Cities (4.6.1)
  • Unique Landscapes bundle ... had tried out a couple of these back when they were just starting and I'm looking forward to discovering all the changes
  • DarNified UI
  • HGEC body (underwear version)
  • FALS
  • Optimised Qarl's
  • Lanscape LOD texture replacement
  • Midas Magic Spells of Aurum
  • Enchantment Restore Over Time
  • Alluring Potion Bottles
  • Book Jackets Oblivion Standard Res

Since I originally bought Oblivion back in the day (that would've been Day One) I've upgraded to an ATI 5850, 8GB RAM and a quad-core Q6600. I'm running the game at 1680x1050 with all sliders set to max ... though they keep resetting every time I start the game which probably has something to do with the way the game crashes on exit :)

Unfortunately I've got some purple textures in-game ... gonna try reinstalling the mods and see if the can be fixed...

Also I don't have All Natural installed yet 'cos getting Wrye Bash running is proving to be ... fun (actually, impossible at the moment).

Edit: deactivated HGEC and FALS to remove those purple textures. Didn't really need them anyway to enjoy the game, just thought FALS could fix some of the more ridiculous female armours.

r1chard

Brilliant. Disabled HGEC & FALS and the game crashes on startup. Reinstalled them and it still crashes on startup :-(

Hmm, actually, might've been one of the others. Wow, this is fragile :)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
r1chard said:
Brilliant. Disabled HGEC & FALS and the game crashes on startup. Reinstalled them and it still crashes on startup :-(

yes, I had the same problem but with other mods. Fallout 3 is much more stable with mods.

Ledsen

r1chard said:

You just have to find a setup that works for you, and be very careful when installing, always reading every readme etc checking for incompatabilites and installation instructions. I've never had any problems or crashes with my setup, but I'm very restrictive about adding complex mods if I don't absolutely need them. Try making a post in the official mod forums and they might help you if any of the mods you're running don't go well together. Better Cities for example seems like an extremely complex mod that can cause a lot of conflicts and problems (check this thread for more info).

Purple textures mean that something has been installed in the wrong place and the game can't find the texture where it's supposed to be, or you forgot to do Archive Invalidation.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Reinstalled Oblivion and all of its DLC and the expansion last night. Got all of the main tools installed but then ran into a road block with Qarl’s Texture Pack 3 Redimized because it is taking so long to download from file planet. The Dead End Thrills guide is really nice, cheers GAFFER that made it, and cheers to the OP.

Is there a better alternative to OOS that is less challenging? I hate level scaling.

Apath

Couldn't someone just upload their Oblivion Data folder, and people could simply backup and replace their current one with the downloaded folder to get all of the mods? Or would that not work?

Ledsen

Kenak said:
Couldn't someone just upload their Oblivion Data folder, and people could simply backup and replace their current one with the downloaded folder to get all of the mods? Or would that not work?

Well, that's theoretically possible, but that would be a collection of mods that the uploader has installed and configured according to his taste, which doesn't necessarily coincide with other people's... plus my Data folder is 12 GB :lol

vermadas

Think I'm going to give up on this or at least scale back the number of mods I'm trying to use. It's wasting too much of my time.

At first I had issues with Unnecessary Violence. I disabled it. Then everything was fine except for a bug where my cursor would freeze when looting until I hit esc a couple times. So I tried disabling and reinstalling Darnified UI. Then I couldn't even get to the main menu without crashing.

I started over. Things are promising until I CTD after killing a rat. I reload and it happens again. Fuck.

To make things worse, every time I CTD my Xonar soundcard likes to loop the last sound it was playing when the crash occurred. I can only make it go away with a reboot.

Apath

Ledsen said:
Well, that's theoretically possible, but that would be a collection of mods that the uploader has installed and configured according to his taste, which doesn't necessarily coincide with other people's... plus my Data folder is 12 GB :lol
I'm sure whatever anyone else has configured would be much preferred to Vanilla Oblivion ;) By this I mean anyone who has Oblivion running on Windows 7 64-bit and wouldn't mind compressing their data folder into a .Rar should definitely look into a standard GAF Oblivion Mod Package :D

Trojita

Well hopefully that Qarl’s Texture Pack 3 Redimized download is finished when I get home tonight.

Is it just me or does it seem like most of the people playing this game are playing it for posing characters for screenshots?

I just want a great game, with great gameplay, great locales, great story, and good looking NPC's.

r1chard

Trojita said:
Is it just me or does it seem like most of the people playing this game are playing it for posing characters for screenshots?
Not me - I'm having fun getting back into the exploring and the biffo.

Just started modding this the other night and got a bunch of stuff running. Trying to figure out Wyre Bash and how to add faces from FaceGen (Octagons guide) onto my characters but haven't worked on it since that night. Wyre Bash is frustrating and sometimes the README files of mods don't actually help in explaining how to install. I really want to get All Natural working and AWLS. Both sound like really awesome mods. The game looks fucking stunning when modded though.

Is there a way to find out which mods were being used on a save game?

I re-installed oblivion but my save game is bugging out, possibly due to some mods missing that I don't remember (I get a missing mods warning at the start).

My character gets stuck on NightEye when I use the Hunters Sight, even after the spell ends the screen remains blue :S

Ledsen

Metalmurphy said:
Is there a way to find out which mods were being used on a save game?

I re-installed oblivion but my save game is bugging out, possibly due to some mods missing that I don't remember (I get a missing mods warning at the start).

My character gets stuck on NightEye when I use the Hunters Sight, even after the spell ends the screen remains blue :S

Yeah just open Wrye Bash, go to the "Saves" tab, click the save and check the Masters List on the right, it says which mods the save uses.

Woffls

oh gawd, I've just borrowed Oblivion from a friend (I have 360 version already) and I've been following that flow chart. I've now downloaded the official patches for Oblivion and Shivering Isles, and unofficial patches for both. Looks like this could take some time :D I'll just install things to make it look pretty first, to see how it runs at 1080p, then I'll look into total conversions and all that. Been soooo long since I've done any modding.

Quagm1r3

Awesome thread, it convinced me to buy oblivion for PC. But now I have the same problem as this guy:

Okay, so let's get this out of the way, I'm completely new to this and I know practically nothing.

So I've downloaded OBMM and when I start the setup, it gets to the part where it tells me it's going to install to this folder, but no folder is selected.
When I go to pick a folder, it tells me that OBMM must be installed into Oblivion's installation directory. I have no idea how to access that or even what it's talking about. Could someone plese clarify for me, or give me a step-by-step installation breakdown?

The mod creator responded:

Just re-install Oblivion and you should be good

Now I'm anxiously waiting for it to reinstall. Mods are great but they take precious time to set up.

Also, I've been reading the posts praising OOO and bow + stealth sounds really appealing. However, something I thought was missing from vanilla oblivion was lack of damage from melee sneak attacks. Is there a mod that increases this damage?

Just wanted to start playing this again, installed, Oblivion + SI + Nights o' 9. I have currently NO mods or anything installed, just whats on the DVDs, and i get this error every time i open the game, on the logos at the beginning.

Anyone know whats causing this?
2wdzitg.png

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Setvan2734 said:
Just wanted to start playing this again, installed, Oblivion + SI + Nights o' 9. I have currently NO mods or anything installed, just whats on the DVDs, and i get this error every time i open the game, on the logos at the beginning.

Anyone know whats causing this?
http://i56.tinypic.com/2wdzitg.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Multiple monitors?

water_wendi said:
Multiple monitors?
nope, just one. I actually had Oblivion somewhat working before with mods, but uninstalled it because one or more werent working. But now that i re installed it, i cant do anything.

Ledsen

Quagm1r3 said:
Awesome thread, it convinced me to buy oblivion for PC. But now I have the same problem as this guy:

The mod creator responded:

Now I'm anxiously waiting for it to reinstall. Mods are great but they take precious time to set up.

Also, I've been reading the posts praising OOO and bow + stealth sounds really appealing. However, something I thought was missing from vanilla oblivion was lack of damage from melee sneak attacks. Is there a mod that increases this damage?

Are you saying you can't even pick the folder where you want to install OBMM? If you can, simply choose your Oblivion folder (if you're on Steam, it's c:/programs/steam/steamapps/common/oblivion, otherwise something like c:/programs/bethesda softworks/oblivion) and install it there.

There are tons and tons of mods that change the stealth multiplier. I don't know much about stealth mods since I don't use them myself, so maybe you could check out the official mod forums.

Setvan2734 said:
Try not running it in windowed mode and make sure you don't have any active programs that will momentarily turn the program window inactive (my old firewall used to do that for a split second each time it wanted to run a check).

Oblivion really doesn't like it if you try and switch windows, even if you only just click on the taskbar it probably will crash.

Quagm1r3

Ledsen said:
Are you saying you can't even pick the folder where you want to install OBMM? If you can, simply choose your Oblivion folder (if you're on Steam, it's c:/programs/steam/steamapps/common/oblivion, otherwise something like c:/programs/bethesda softworks/oblivion) and install it there.

There are tons and tons of mods that change the stealth multiplier. I don't know much about stealth mods since I don't use them myself, so maybe you could check out the official mod forums.

Thanks man, managed to figure it out on my own. Currently running UOP, OOO and some others that came with it. I'm planning on installing MMM soon, as well as some texture mods.

This is a stupid question but I exhausted every option I could think of. How do you drop an item??? I found myself permanently over-encumbered because I couldn't figure this out. I checked controls: nothing. I right clicked the item in the journal: nothing. I pressed every key on the keyboard while highlighting the item in the journal: nothing. What am I missing here?

Ledsen

Quagm1r3 said:
Thanks man, managed to figure it out on my own. Currently running UOP, OOO and some others that came with it. I'm planning on installing MMM soon, as well as some texture mods.

This is a stupid question but I exhausted every option I could think of. How do you drop an item??? I found myself permanently over-encumbered because I couldn't figure this out. I checked controls: nothing. I right clicked the item in the journal: nothing. I pressed every key on the keyboard while highlighting the item in the journal: nothing. What am I missing here?

You hold down a button, I think shift, and click the item. As for installing MMM and OOO at the same time, that could require some fiddling to make it work. Be sure to read the MMM readme for compatability notes with OOO!

Trojita

I think I might have done something wrong when installing the mods. I created an omod of Qarl's Texture Pack 3 redimized by adding the Archive I downloaded into OBMM. I made the mistake of activating it before I installed the unofficial patches so I went back and unactivated it but now I'm not sure if the old textures were delted or something because I don't see them in the folders that Qarl's pack unextracted into. I see a bunch of oblivion archived files in the data folder.

If you're at all interested at playing a melee character you must get Deadly Reflex 5: Timed Block - 250% damage. Vanilla melee combat is awful, and this does a good job of making it more dangerous/exciting. I don't use the rest of deadly reflex because it's too over the top for me, I just wanted to find something to make combat feel more weighty and deliberate and this did the trick.

I've tried to play with OOO before and I can't stand it, where Francesco's just makes the game better. OOO is just too un-scaled, it doesn't make sense for 95% of the game world to be off-limits to a lvl 1 character because it's filled with lvl 5+ mobs. It's no fun exploring the first level of a dungeon, realizing the second level is far too much for you and leaving. Francesco's keeps it interesting without giving every tom, dick and harry on the road daedric armor of the gods.

Also, because someone asked before: FCOM (Francesco) + time block +250% damage makes archers very dangerous--almost too much, since it doesn't seem like they suffer any negative effects from being in melee range.

Ledsen

Trojita said:
I think I might have done something wrong when installing the mods. I created an omod of Qarl's Texture Pack 3 redimized by adding the Archive I downloaded into OBMM. I made the mistake of activating it before I installed the unofficial patches so I went back and unactivated it but now I'm not sure if the old textures were delted or something because I don't see them in the folders that Qarl's pack unextracted into. I see a bunch of oblivion archived files in the data folder.

This is where you went wrong. You have to unpack the archive into a new folder, than add that folder to OBMM. The folder you add to OBMM should contain all the folders that otherwise would go directly into the Data folder. So for example, in this case you would have a folder called Qarls Texture Pack (or whatever), and in that folder would be folders called textures, meshes etc etc (depending on the mod). This Qarls Texture Pack folder is the one you add to OBMM. When you activate an omod, it will simply put the files you put in it into the Data folder, completely unchanged. So since you added an archive to the omod, that archive will be ´put into the Data folder when you activate it.

Oh and don't worry about overwriting the default Oblivion files, they are NOT stored in the Oblivion/Data folder but in .BSA archives ensuring that you can never accidentally overwrite them.

Trojita

Ledsen said:
This is where you went wrong. You have to unpack the archive into a new folder, than add that folder to OBMM. The folder you add to OBMM should contain all the folders that otherwise would go directly into the Data folder. So for example, in this case you would have a folder called Qarls Texture Pack (or whatever), and in that folder would be folders called textures, meshes etc etc (depending on the mod). This Qarls Texture Pack folder is the one you add to OBMM. When you activate an omod, it will simply put the files you put in it into the Data folder, completely unchanged. So since you added an archive to the omod, that archive will be ´put into the Data folder when you activate it.

Oh and don't worry about overwriting the default Oblivion files, they are NOT stored in the Oblivion/Data folder but in .BSA archives ensuring that you can never accidentally overwrite them.

That's odd. I actually had tried that first but OBMM wasn't adding the folder. I'll try it when I get back home.

Majeh

Is there a comprehensive list of the install order for mods? Agiel's Oblivion Plugins list hasn't been updated in a year and it's pretty daunting for a first time oblivion modder me :)

Somewhat older thread, but this didn't warrant its own topic

I have some mods I'd like to find, but searching didn't find me much

1. A companion like the Vilga mod. She's a great companion, but she doesn't fit with my black panther style Kajiit theif/assasin and his pet black panther (a petshop mod). Are there any more super deep companions, with voice acting? Maybe a darker character or a male?

2. A mod that refreshes the objects in stores and houses? I've cleaned Bravil out of anything worth anything, and it seems odd that weeks go by and nobody replaces any of their stolen goods.

3. Insta-backstab mod. I hate backstabbing people while they're sleeping and having them only lose 50% of their health. Come on, that would have easily killed them. It also goes well with my shadow Kajiit that lurks around murdering and looting.

4. Any good quests with full voice acting? I have a strict policy of not getting quests without voice acting, so I'm stuck with just Let the People Drink and Theivery in the Imperial City. I've looked at the Skeleton Horse quest I found, but it's outside the map boundries for god knows what reason. I don't want to have to cheat to get a quest...

5. I know this is a pipe dream, but a hawk companion that can be used as a weapon kind of like Borderlands and Twilight Princess. Hawk taming seems like something that would work in the world of Oblivion.

Thanks for your help. Oblivion turns into a fantastic game just by modding different things. I've got a half dozen environmental change mods already, and it changes the environment buitifully.

So I installed some mods but I have a problem : the game crashes right at launch (no message, it's simply closing). Problem is I don't know if the mods are the problem as I didn't launch the game once before installing them... I own the steam version btw.
Here's a screen of OBMM in case there's something wrong :
HBIh4.jpg

And yes I also properly installed OBSE.
I'm on 7 x64 bits btw.
The way I installed the mods :
1.downloaded them
2.extracted them in a temporary folder
3.created an omod file from this folder
4.activated the omodfile via OBMM
I read the readme files each time. Also I didn't have any compatibility problems between mods except once and I just disabled the mod in question...

Ledsen

LordPhoque said:
So I installed some mods but I have a problem : the game crashes right at launch (no message, it's simply closing). Problem is I don't know if the mods are the problem as I didn't launch the game once before installing them... I own the steam version btw.
Here's a screen of OBMM in case there's something wrong :
HBIh4.jpg

And yes I also properly installed OBSE.
I'm on 7 x64 bits btw.
The way I installed the mods :
1.downloaded them
2.extracted them in a temporary folder
3.created an omod file from this folder
4.activated the omodfile via OBMM
I read the readme files each time. Also I didn't have any compatibility problems between mods except once and I just disabled the mod in question...

a few things:

- You have to de-activate the "All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp". Its only purpose is to act as a filter by being integrated in the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash, if you activate it you can expect all sorts of problems. Check the All Natural readme for more info.

- You have both versions of Enhanced Water active. You're only supposed to use one. Again, check the mods readme.

- I don't know anything about that IC beauty pack or whatever, but make sure it's compatible with OOO, otherwise disable it.

- I suggest you use BOSS to fix your load order. Check the OP for more info.

Ledsen said:
a few things:

- You have to de-activate the "All Natural - Indoor Weather Filter For Mods.esp". Its only purpose is to act as a filter by being integrated in the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash, if you activate it you can expect all sorts of problems. Check the All Natural readme for more info.

- You have both versions of Enhanced Water active. You're only supposed to use one. Again, check the mods readme.

- I don't know anything about that IC beauty pack or whatever, but make sure it's compatible with OOO, otherwise disable it.

- I suggest you use BOSS to fix your load order. Check the OP for more info.

Thanks a lot, disabling those actually fixed my startup crash problem...

Crazetex

I once spent three days modding Oblivion in my free time, then uninstalled it all and started from scratch over five hours.

The person I was doing it for played it once for about three hours, then never touched it again.

Apath

:lol
So I was following TR0LL's guide, and all I have to say is fuck this shit. I greatly appreciate how he went through the trouble of trying to explain what to do and (probably painstakingly) put everything together, but it's just a mess. You have to jump around the guide, a lot of things are not clear, and there are contradictory messages. Sometimes I won't even realize something is wrong until I get to a later step that includes information a previous step missed.

It has led to me launching Oblivion after the first time going through the "Quick Start Guide" and having the W key, instead of being move forward, is now what I believe to be Shield Bash, with no real explanation of how to change this. After spending about two hours getting to this point, I am a little more than annoyed -_-

Overall this is just a colossal pain in the ass.

Ledsen

Kenak said:
:lol
So I was following TR0LL's guide, and all I have to say is fuck this shit. I greatly appreciate how he went through the trouble of trying to explain what to do and (probably painstakingly) put everything together, but it's just a mess. You have to jump around the guide, a lot of things are not clear, and there are contradictory messages. Sometimes I won't even realize something is wrong until I get to a later step that includes information a previous step missed.

It has led to me launching Oblivion after the first time going through the "Quick Start Guide" and having the W key, instead of being move forward, is now what I believe to be Shield Bash, with no real explanation of how to change this. After spending about two hours getting to this point, I am a little more than annoyed -_-

Overall this is just a colossal pain in the ass.

I don't know who TR0LL is or what his guide looks like, but it sounds unnecessarily complex. You should always pick out the mods you want yourself instead of blindly following someone else's advice. That's why my guide is very general and tries to give you the tools to pick out your own mods. Read the OP, check out a few links and on the bottom I've got a list of some pretty basic (with a few exceptions) mods that don't change too much and aren't that complicated to install.

edit: I found TR0LL's guide. So... you've got no experience modding, and you're trying to install FCOM? FCOM is a modder's worst nightmare, the equivalent of getting a Master Degree in Oblivion Modding. FCOM is a mashup of several HUGE mods that really have no business working together and it will severely break your game if you even get the slightest detail wrong during installation. You shouldn't even consider it if you haven't been modding for ages, are extremely comfortable with every aspect of it and enjoy spending days and days scratching your head over obscure bugs you've introduced but can't find the cause for. Even I haven't tried it! Holy shit FCOM :lol

edit2: It's not just FCOM, he has hundreds of mods in there... so take what I said in the previous paragraph and multiply it by a hundred. Seriously, don't even try it. To be honest I have no idea why he went through the trouble of compiling that guide, it's completely useless to everyone but him since no one else will have the exact same taste in mods. Also installing that many mods without any experience is such a clusterfuck that the game will buckle under its own weight and stop working for 99% of the people that try to use that guide. It's like asking a Programming 101 student to program the control system for a nuclear powerplant, and the results will probably be similar.

Apath

Ledsen said:
I don't know who TR0LL is or what his guide looks like, but it sounds unnecessarily complex. You should always pick out the mods you want yourself instead of blindly following someone else's advice. That's why my guide is very general and tries to give you the tools to pick out your own mods. Read the OP, check out a few links and on the bottom I've got a list of some pretty basic (with a few exceptions) mods that don't change too much and aren't that complicated to install.

edit: I found TR0LL's guide. So... you've got no experience modding, and you're trying to install FCOM? FCOM is a modder's worst nightmare, the equivalent of getting a Master Degree in Oblivion Modding. FCOM is a mashup of several HUGE mods that really have no business working together and it will severely break your game if you even get the slightest detail wrong during installation. You shouldn't even consider it if you haven't been modding for ages, are extremely comfortable with every aspect of it and enjoy spending days and days scratching your head over obscure bugs you've introduced but can't find the cause for. Even I haven't tried it! Holy shit FCOM :lol

edit2: It's not just FCOM, he has hundreds of mods in there... so take what I said in the previous paragraph and multiply it by a hundred. Seriously, don't even try it. To be honest I have no idea why he went through the trouble of compiling that guide, it's completely useless to everyone but him since no one else will have the exact same taste in mods. Also installing that many mods without any experience is such a clusterfuck that the game will buckle under its own weight and stop working for 99% of the people that try to use that guide. It's like asking a Programming 101 student to program the control system for a nuclear powerplant, and the results will probably be similar.
Hahaha, and I thought I was just retarded. The problem is I tried other ways but it seems to require a major amount of investment in not only getting it to work but learning how to do everything as well. I really want to enjoy the modded Oblivion experience, but just cannot find myself willing enough to invest hours upon hours on something that may not even work in the end.

Ledsen

Kenak said:
Hahaha, and I thought I was just retarded. The problem is I tried other ways but it seems to require a major amount of investment in not only getting it to work but learning how to do everything as well. I really want to enjoy the modded Oblivion experience, but just cannot find myself willing enough to invest hours upon hours on something that may not even work in the end.

But you've already invested hours in it :) Just read my OP and try some of the mods I list. The only big "game changers" there are OOO (which for the record is one of the mods merged together in FCOM) and Oblivion XP. Try them if you like, only OOO requires some thought to install, and I've linked an easy to follow OOO install guide in the OP as well. You're obviously already familiar with OBMM, and the only external programs you really need with my list are OBMM and BOSS. Wrye Bash is only needed if you have more complex mods interacting with each other.

So basically you need to:

- Know the basic structure of the files and folders in a mod in order to learn
- ...how to make an .omod
- Know how to use OBMM
- Know how to use BOSS (eg double clicking on a .bat file)
- Remember to read the readmes

that's it really.

Top Bottom