• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla unveils autopilot, range assurance, and trip planner features in Model S update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla's preparing a software update that will bring powerful auto-steering functionality to its Model S fleet. During today's press call — which mostly focused on curing range anxiety — CEO Elon Musk revealed that Tesla will ship a software update "in about three months" that will turn on auto-steering, or "autopilot" as Musk often refers to it. "We can basically go between San Francisco and Seattle without the driver doing anything," Musk said of the autonomous system that Tesla has developed. For now, you'll only be able to engage auto-steering on highways. We got a preview of the autopilot functionality during our initial test drive in the P85D, which you can watch below.

"It is technically capable of going from parking lot to parking lot," said Musk. "But we won't be enabling that for users with this hardware suite, because we don't think it's likely to be safe in suburban neighborhoods," he said, noting that such streets often lack posted speed limit signs and pose obstacles like children playing in the street. In the future, drivers will be able to summon an unmanned Model S to their location or direct the car to drive itself into a garage.

Musk noted that these features remain illegal on most US roads, so he cautioned that drivers will be restricted to using them on private property. He also made clear that autopilot isn't to be confused with a proper self-driving car. "There’s certainly an expectation that when autopilot on the Model S is enabled, that you’re paying attention. But it should also take care of you if you have moments of distraction."

http://theverge.com/e/8021974?utm_c...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Makki

A flap will open under your feet which will allow you to propel your own Tesla and dispose of anxiety at the same time.

subrock

Probably a UI update, not a performance update. Although they have retroactively increased range before though. Could also be a program to push out more charging stations too

Flo_Evans

Probably an update to the nav to alert you of the closest supercharger.

Of all the cool shit in the cars OS I was shocked the nav didn't take superchargers into account when planning routes.

Probably an update to the nav to alert you of the closest supercharger.

Of all the cool shit in the cars OS I was shocked the nav didn't take superchargers into account when planning routes.

I'm shocked Google maps and every other map company has yet to provide a way to search for food/gas stations/POIs in general along the way of your route. It's my most requested feature by far. It's annoying as fuck having to look up the route, remember where the lines were on the map, then search for the business you want to visit and select one along that line.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wish we could have F-zero like pads on the interstates you drive over and they refuel the battery.

n0razi

its basically this
1560056-nintendo-64-expansion-pak-0.jpg

HariKari

Could this be an announcement related to the battery swap tech Tesla demoed a couple years ago?

http://www.cnet.com/news/tesla-demos-electric-battery-swap-in-just-90-seconds/#!

It will likely be something that says "you're in range of a swap/quick charge, you're safe" rather than minor tweaks to eek out a few extra miles. Like if you wanted to plot a cross country trip and the navi kicked back "we're good to go, stop here, here, and here."

Not really unlimited range but it reduces the feeling that you could be marooned somewhere without a charge.

I'm shocked Google maps and every other map company has yet to provide a way to search for food/gas stations/POIs in general along the way of your route. It's my most requested feature by far. It's annoying as fuck having to look up the route, remember where the lines were on the map, then search for the business you want to visit and select one along that line.

How the fuck are they the market leader? When it shows directions clicking on anything is disabled wtf?

I bet the feature is that the car no longer shows you range. Nothing to be anxious at anymore!

Still completely unviable in most of the country, and probably won't be for years yet to come.

The nearest destination city to me is a 3-4 hour drive. God forbid I get stuck in traffic.....

Still completely unviable in most of the country, and probably won't be for years yet to come.

The nearest destination city to me is a 3-4 hour drive. God forbid I get stuck in traffic.....

Yeah that's nut how density works.

Most of the country lives in cities along the coasts.

People who live three hours away from anything, for the purpose of business, so not matter

Yeah that's nut how density works.

Most of the country lives in cities along the coasts.

People who live three hours away from anything, for the purpose of business, so not matter

Where did I say that was how density works?

Do people who live in the big cities never travel anywhere else? Because god forbid they need to travel to a different major city once or twice a year.

FyreWulff

An electric car doesn't use burn away energy while it's not moving.

And you'd need to make stops in a gas car anyway.

I always thought the "but MILES" excuse was poor FUD against electric cars anyway. I live out in the damn prairie. I will drive more than the range of the tesla in one go like.. twice a year, at most.

Where did I say that was how density works?

Do people who live in the big cities never travel anywhere else? Because god forbid they need to travel to a different major city once or twice a year.

I'm actually surprised how many stations have opened since I last checked this map out a year ago. I don't know the last time you checkout out the charging station map, but major cities seem pretty well covered these days:

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=supercharger&name=us

Nowhere near as good as gas stations obviously, but from NYC it looks like I could pretty much go to any other major city in the country.

SRG01

yeh okay elon. stock is about to freefall and this won't help.

Not really. 190-200 seems like the stable price range for the stock. Even Elon Musk said that 220+ was way too high several months ago. You can draw a parallel between Tesla and Facebook when Zuckerberg openly stated that he wasn't catering to short-term investors... and he was eventually proven right if you look at FB's performance now.

Stock performance usually has weak correlation to a company's activities, especially during the initial phases. In fact, I'd be more worried if Tesla wasn't incurring more costs (which investors are clamoring about, amongst other small issues) at this point, since it would mean the company wasn't expanding.

If there's one misstep that one could rightfully call out Tesla for, it's their inability to gauge the Chinese market. The urban infrastructure just isn't there to support electric vehicles yet.

rokkerkory

All Tesla battery packs are anywhere between 50-75% unlocked, meaning there is another at least 25% to be unlocked. This is for both power and range.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If you lift the car and spin the wheels backwards, it turns out it produces more energy than it consumes.

Version 6.2 of Tesla Model S software has two new features.

1. Range assurance communicates real time with Tesla superchargers and warns you before you drive out of range. Navigation system will direct you to the nearest supercharger taking into account numerous factors.

2. Trip planner. Model S will direct you to you destination taking into account the most convenient charger locations and charge time needed.

Shrug?

Tesla's preparing a software update that will bring powerful auto-steering functionality to its Model S fleet. During today's press call — which mostly focused on curing range anxiety — CEO Elon Musk revealed that Tesla will ship a software update "in about three months" that will turn on auto-steering, or "autopilot" as Musk often refers to it. "We can basically go between San Francisco and Seattle without the driver doing anything," Musk said of the autonomous system that Tesla has developed. For now, you'll only be able to engage auto-steering on highways. We got a preview of the autopilot functionality during our initial test drive in the P85D, which you can watch below.

"It is technically capable of going from parking lot to parking lot," said Musk. "But we won't be enabling that for users with this hardware suite, because we don't think it's likely to be safe in suburban neighborhoods," he said, noting that such streets often lack posted speed limit signs and pose obstacles like children playing in the street. In the future, drivers will be able to summon an unmanned Model S to their location or direct the car to drive itself into a garage.

Musk noted that these features remain illegal on most US roads, so he cautioned that drivers will be restricted to using them on private property. He also made clear that autopilot isn't to be confused with a proper self-driving car. "There’s certainly an expectation that when autopilot on the Model S is enabled, that you’re paying attention. But it should also take care of you if you have moments of distraction."

http://theverge.com/e/8021974?utm_c...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

phaonaut

Can't wait to make my car go to the parking lot after dropping me off.

--

Side note

With self driving cars (you can sleep) and cheap electricity to power them($8 per 300miles). I think this bring about a resurgence in cross country travel by vehicle.

sarcastor

not sure if i want a self driving car that is 100% completely fucking silent. especially since I am a soft and squishy pedestrian.

Laekon

Really think the auto pilot is an exaggeration. The GPS is not dependable or accurate enough to always know what lane you are in so how is it going to take a corner or off ramp? Being 3 feet off the mark while pulling into a garage could be disastrous. THe sensors for it to know what is around it is also very limited.

jblank83

I can't wait for auto-pilot cars.

Even if it's only 30 minutes a day, that's time I could spend doing something else.

Bit-Bit

Really think the auto pilot is an exaggeration. The GPS is not dependable or accurate enough to always know what lane you are in so how is it going to take a corner or off ramp? Being 3 feet off the mark while pulling into a garage could be disastrous. THe sensors for it to know what is around it is also very limited.

GPS isn't used how you think it is.

Most of the autonomous cars unveiled have a laser that spins 360 degree, allowing the car to "see" all around it at the speed of light. Better than most humans, I think :p

androvsky

GPS isn't used how you think it is.

Most of the autonomous cars unveiled have a laser that spins 360 degree, allowing the car to "see" all around it at the speed of light. Better than most humans, I think :p

I presume they're talking about the update to current Teslas, so a scanning laser would be one hell of a software update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom