• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla unveils autopilot, range assurance, and trip planner features in Model S update

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Wait, so how is this autopilot thing going to work? Were the original Model S's shipped with a LIDAR system just waiting to be used in a software update like this?

Really think the auto pilot is an exaggeration. The GPS is not dependable or accurate enough to always know what lane you are in so how is it going to take a corner or off ramp? Being 3 feet off the mark while pulling into a garage could be disastrous. THe sensors for it to know what is around it is also very limited.

My minivan can detect lane departure, cars in blind spots, and potential collision ahead to give you a warning to brake/slow down based on your current speed. It also has sensors both in front and back to warn of collision. If the Model S has several of these, I would think it would be enough to drive on the freeway.

Robotguy

Wait, so how is this autopilot thing going to work? Were the original Model S's shipped with a LIDAR system just waiting to be used in a software update like this?
All the Model S's for a few months have shipped with the necessary sensors for autopilot, the earlier ones don't have them.

Zaph

In the future, drivers will be able to summon an unmanned Model S to their location or direct the car to drive itself into a garage.

if6Pt2rjY9Wyv.gif

So are we talking mass market pricing here? Because that would be truly disruptive.

Also, fuck Chrome and all the damn gifs that slow me down.

Prologue

I'll believe it when I see it. Out of all the cool technology out there, I see unmanned driving to be the least probable scenario.

I didn't know the Model S had enough sensors to do autopilot like that. That's crazy. There's no way it can do full-on autopilot right?

I'll believe it when I see it. Out of all the cool technology out there, I see unmanned driving to be the least probable scenario.

Yeah this doesn jive with what technology we have.

Take the google self driving car.

It ONLY goes on routes where a team of google engineers have previously driven and mapped everything in HIGH detail. They do NOT drive on virgin territory. The car cant do it alone, it needs the etam to go out in advance.

It CANNOT handle detours, construction, rain, or snow.

No self driving car can go into a garage that hasnt had every stall mapped.

But Telsa says they can do it on preexisting hardware?

No, I think this is essentially cruise control with lane departure warnings. If you want to exit the highway, change lanes, or drive in bad weather, you have tot ake the wheel.

Yeah this doesn jive with what technology we have.

It ONLY goes on routes where a team of google engineers have previously driven and mapped everything in HIGH detail. They do NOT drive on virgin territory. The car cant do it alone, it needs the etam to go out in advance.

No self driving car can go into a garage that hasnt had every stall mapped.

But Telsa says they can do it on preexisting hardware?

No, I think this is essentially cruise control with lane departure warnings. If you want to exit the highway, change lanes, or drive in bad weather, you have tot ake the wheel.

They've already demonstrated it...there are videos out there of it steering itself. To change lanes you just signal and it does the rest...

Obviously what they are patching in is just for highway driving. You still have to be attentive though.

Sean

Banned
That's not a Tesla

I know, just would suck to be in a position where you miss your doctors appointment or dinner reservations because of a forced car firmware update. Don't get me wrong, a car getting better/smarter over time via software is awesome, but hopefully they figure out a way to make the updating process convenient.

It ONLY goes on routes where a team of google engineers have previously driven and mapped everything in HIGH detail. They do NOT drive on virgin territory. The car cant do it alone, it needs the team to go out in advance.

Google put out a video last year showing their self-driving car navigating through a construction zone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3oc1Hr62g

I know, just would suck to be in a position where you miss your doctors appointment or dinner reservations because of a forced car firmware update. Don't get me wrong, a car getting better/smarter over time via software is awesome, but hopefully they figure out a way to make the updating process convenient.

See that ^cancel^ button? Guess what it does.

Wthermans

Banned
Probably a UI update, not a performance update. Although they have retroactively increased range before though. Could also be a program to push out more charging stations too
Their charging station program is garbage from a business perspective. You get a $1500 subsidy for their charger (which averages 4x more to install) and have to market the charger to prospective customers.

Most businesses would rather just install a 240 charger with no marketing requirements.

btrboyev

I could never trust an auto pilot driven car. Only if all cars had them built in.

Especially in highway 101. Fuck that noise.

Foffy

Banned
I could never trust an auto pilot driven car. Only if all cars had them built in.

Especially in highway 101. Fuck that noise.

Moore's law all but assures as this technology increase, it will be better at these tasks.

It will be incredibly likely that in your lifetime, cars on auto pilot will be safer than cars being driven by people, especially when they're fully driverless. Get ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom