• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tetris 99 is great!

Shaqazooloo

So, i've been watching a few Tetris players and now I want to get good at it. I fired up Tetris 99 today I feel like I did decent this time around. I remember last time I played I couldn't get higher than 80, I actually managed to get to the top 20 before I got destroyed.

I even did a mini T-Spin, still need to figure out the set up for the double T-Spins.

I'm having a lot more fun now that I sort of understand how to play, I'm gonna keep at it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So, i've been watching a few Tetris players and now I want to get good at it. I fired up Tetris 99 today I feel like I did decent this time around. I remember last time I played I couldn't get higher than 80, I actually managed to get to the top 20 before I got destroyed.

I even did a mini T-Spin, still need to figure out the set up for the double T-Spins.

I'm having a lot more fun now that I sort of understand how to play, I'm gonna keep at it.

I will never understand tspins

Nymphae

Banned
Understanding the higher level Tspins is awkward because you have to be intimately familiar with the rotation system being used in the game and know what kicks are available to you.

But the basic concept of a Tspin is fairly simple, you're rotating a T piece into it's locked position, that's basically it. Rotating it into a space that it couldn't get to without the rotation.

Nymphae

Banned
qQgU1LX.gif

This is a good image to show what it is. This is a huge Tspin stack setup, but the idea is simple and applies to all Tspins.

you can see the T piece is only able to fit into the top spot if it's on it's "side", so you put it on it's side and stick it there, and then a single counter clockwise rotation will lock it in because the gap is Tshaped and the kick system makes this possible.

You're able to rotate again after the first Tspin is placed (for a Tspin triple - 3 lines cleared with it) because of the way the kick system works ("kicking" a piece is the games system for where to rotate a piece if the rotation you want would result in a block on top of another block) Some games have restrictive kicking systems and others are much more user friendly and helpful.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
qQgU1LX.gif

This is a good image to show what it is. This is a huge Tspin stack setup, but the idea is simple and applies to all Tspins.

you can see the T piece is only able to fit into the top spot if it's on it's "side", so you put it on it's side and stick it there, and then a single counter clockwise rotation will lock it in because the gap is Tshaped and the kick system makes this possible.

You're able to rotate again after the first Tspin is placed (for a Tspin triple - 3 lines cleared with it) because of the way the kick system works ("kicking" a piece is the games system for where to rotate a piece if the rotation you want would result in a block on top of another block) Some games have restrictive kicking systems and others are much more user friendly and helpful.

I look back to your set up post and I think that's where my brain just dies.

I guess my question would be is it better to try and set up tspins from line one or is it supposed to be used as a way to get out of a bad situation?

Shaqazooloo

qQgU1LX.gif

I feel like I understand it, but I don't know the timing or something. I practiced against CPU's today and most times when I tried to put the piece in it would just get placed before I had a chance to rotate or I rotated it too early.

Also I guess my setups are kind of messy too, it's difficult to get things even.

hymanator

For a T-spin double:
Make an outline of a T shape and put a ledge on top.

6PFHoKM.png

Using the proper clockwise and counter-clockwise rotation button will allow you to fit the piece correctly with a single button press.

Nymphae

Banned
I feel like I understand it, but I don't know the timing or something. I practiced against CPU's today and most times when I tried to put the piece in it would just get placed before I had a chance to rotate or I rotated it too early.

Also I guess my setups are kind of messy too, it's difficult to get things even.

It takes some practice before you can start nailing them with ease. To be honest I never try to setup tspins, I just go for ones that appear as I recognize them, occasionally I have the foresight to see a few pieces ahead and try to set up a small one, but in general I find it too confusing to set up big ones like in that gif.

If you're playing multiplayer it's way more important because you can dominate if you know how to set these up a lot. My bag is just playing super fast single player tetris, so it's not really important at all to set up tspins, but important to know how the mechanic works so you can always make ideal placements.

Nymphae

Banned
I look back to your set up post and I think that's where my brain just dies.

I guess my question would be is it better to try and set up tspins from line one or is it supposed to be used as a way to get out of a bad situation?

Yeah honestly I don't do setups like that gif, it's confusing but mostly just tedious to set that shit up unless you've trained for it specifically.

To answer your question, I would say it depends on how you want to play. If you're playing T99, it would probably be highly beneficial to learn how these setups work, to go to the tetris wiki or youtube and study some patterns for base building for tspins. I don't enjoy doing this, but ifyou get good at it you can setup huge shit like in that gif and just crank out tspins which are super potent in multiplayer, IIRC they are even better than going for tetrises in a multiplayer context.

But I don't play for multiplayer, and just prefer to build perfect stacks as fast as possible, so personally I use tspins as a way to "get out of a bad situation" so to speak. I'm not setting up bigmassive tspin sections, but maybe if I get some unfortuitous piece drops, I'll set up a single one because doing anything else would result in a less than ideal stack, you know what I mean? Like pretend my entire stack in that gif I showed earlier was only the top 4 lines. The ideal move is to tspin your next tpiece into that hole. So I like I said to Shaq, for me it's less important to worry about setting them up, and simply more important to recognize when I am able to do a single tspin to keep my stack clean.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah honestly I don't do setups like that gif, it's confusing but mostly just tedious to set that shit up unless you've trained for it specifically.

To answer your question, I would say it depends on how you want to play. If you're playing T99, it would probably be highly beneficial to learn how these setups work, to go to the tetris wiki or youtube and study some patterns for base building for tspins. I don't enjoy doing this, but ifyou get good at it you can setup huge shit like in that gif and just crank out tspins which are super potent in multiplayer, IIRC they are even better than going for tetrises in a multiplayer context.

But I don't play for multiplayer, and just prefer to build perfect stacks as fast as possible, so personally I use tspins as a way to "get out of a bad situation" so to speak. I'm not setting up bigmassive tspin sections, but maybe if I get some unfortuitous piece drops, I'll set up a single one because doing anything else would result in a less than ideal stack, you know what I mean? Like pretend my entire stack in that gif I showed earlier was only the top 4 lines. The ideal move is to tspin your next tpiece into that hole. So I like I said to Shaq, for me it's less important to worry about setting them up, and simply more important to recognize when I am able to do a single tspin to keep my stack clean.

I feel like setting up tspins I am not longer playing tetris but something more like pyuo pyuo which is why I think I don't like the mechanic. It's a cool thing but if it doesn't indeed give you more garbage to throw than a Tetris that seems crazy to me.

Nymphae

Banned
I feel like setting up tspins I am not longer playing tetris but something more like pyuo pyuo which is why I think I don't like the mechanic. It's a cool thing but if it doesn't indeed give you more garbage to throw than a Tetris that seems crazy to me.

I think it does throw more garbage than a tetris, a tspin triple

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I dunno, it's harder to setup especially in a multiplayer situation where you have less control over the shape of your stack because of garbage, it makes sense to me that they reward the higher skill maneuvers

It makes sense for sure. I'm just not a fan of it personally. It's always felt untetrisy to me. Patent pending on that word

Nymphae

Banned
Is that good enough to win T99? I've only even gotten a top 5
I've never played it so I'm not quite sure, but typically in multiplayer tetris, I've done well just focusing on speed stacking and tetris clears. If you're up against a tspin stack master you will get destroyed, but that's every tetris game

Shaqazooloo

A guy that I watch on Youtube named SimpleFlips said he took screenshots and video's of this person named amemiya until he understood the set ups, it's kind of how he got good at it. I suppose I might give that a shot in the future if I feel the need, right now I think i'm improving enough so that I don't think it's necessary for now. I can get mini t-spins and i've gotten a few t-spin singles, I think if I just keep grinding for now I might just pick up on these set ups.

Nymphae

Banned
A guy that I watch on Youtube named SimpleFlips said he took screenshots and video's of this person named amemiya until he understood the set ups, it's kind of how he got good at it. I suppose I might give that a shot in the future if I feel the need, right now I think i'm improving enough so that I don't think it's necessary for now. I can get mini t-spins and i've gotten a few t-spin singles, I think if I just keep grinding for now I might just pick up on these set ups.

Harddrop is a pretty good resource for really studying in depth, here's the page on tspins, there's some great info here, you can memorize a few of the simple setups to get started

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Holy shit!

I can stand my ground at Tetris. I’ve even won at Tetris 99 a handful of times - this one time the top 15 of the match were all Japanese nicknames. I can make Tetrises rain if I want. But the T-spin is elusive to me, because it never was a thing when I started playing the game on the original Game Boy.

I guess that when you have only 10 players or so left and suddenly you go from bottom to top of the screen in two attacks it’s people doing T-spin chains, right? There’s times I’m holding up fairly well, then some guy just sends me a ton of shit in the span of a few seconds and it’s bye bye.

Tetris 99 is the best shit ever. There’s no variants like in Tetris Effect, but the game plays like a dream. Perfect legibility with no clutter onscreen, excellent themes, absolutely fantastic music.

Shaqazooloo

So, I think i'm improving quite a bit. I can get into the top 50 more consistently, a few days ago I got close to the top 10 (finished 11th) and today I got 7th place on top of also having one round where I got close to top 10 again. Some of these games have been really intense too with having to fend off a few attackers and trying to get rid of all the garbage, I swear I don't know how I got out of some of situations people put me in.

I'm having a really good time with it, I might end up getting one of the newer Tetris games some time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom