• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tex Murphy: Project Fedora Kickstarter project [Ended, $611K funded]

mclem

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised at how much it's looking like the older games. Not a complaint, but many years have passed. Technology has gotten better for graphics and such.

I don't know. Captures the essence of what these folks did. They were huge in the FMV scene. Go back and look at their older games. It's a huge step up in that regard. I think it looks fantastic for a Tex Murphy game. They may not be a team concerned with the latest technology and trends.

Plus, of course, they didn't make *that* much money. I think they're doing great with the resources they have.

Aaron

Like I said, I've got no problem with the way it looks. Most of these nostalgic kickstarters have ended up looking radically different from the originals, and I'm not sure if that's for the best.

I love how the interiors (furniture, decoration, lighting) look very much in line with the art direction from previous games. Like the past 15 years never happened, except for the fact that everything is in glorious HD now.

This pic is a Big Finish Forums "exclusive", but the people deserve to see it!

ProjectFedora-Release2.jpg

I know, the nostalgia is almost too much to take in. Looking forward to getting a release date, the devs previously said they were on time with their production schedule, so hopefully this fall if not the end of the year.

inm8num2

damn, bringing the sexy back to FMV. I hope that this game will be successful and open a pah for a few more FMV adventures.

Looking forward to this game. I love the look of it - the slightly-cheap look of the FMV stuff suits the genre's heritage and it's probable that this will be pretty well written.

Holy shit, seems like it's gonna come out sooner than later.

I just requested some vacation time to coincide with GTA V's release but I might have to re-schedule...

It's so cheesy... and I love it!
Should we expect a release this Fall? I think it may be pushed in Q1 2014 to avoid the AAA titles releasing before Xmas, but who knows?

protonion

Update!

Greetings Mutant League,

I have some very exciting news that I wanted to let you guys know about. As it turns out, some of the members of the Mutant League also work in the gaming industry and wanted to help us with Tesla Effect.

Atlus games approached Big Finish and offered to help market and distribute Tesla Effect. Several members of Atlus were backers to our project and wanted to support us as an independent gaming studio to reach a wider audience.

So, I am pleased to announce we are partnering with Atlus games to publish Tesla Effect. Now, what does this mean?

- This will give Big Finish Games the opportunity to work with the biggest online distributors

- Atlus has relationships with Game magazines, websites and blogs and can get Tesla Effect featured in more articles.

- Their team with play test our game every week, ensuring the best possible product for you guys.

- Their support will help throw some more polish into the final game. More object animations, better visual effects, and a few more surprises.

- We are in the midst of deciding on a release date. We want to release the game at an optimal time so since there are two new consoles debuting this Christmas, we are aiming for a first quarter release in 2014.

We are so excited about this relationship and how it will help Tesla Effect be a much more polished and widely seen game.

The Mutant League has really been amazing. We would have never, ever, EVER been able to bring Tex back without you guys. We have been soooo humbled by your support and we are so excited for this game we’re going to bring you.

For the official press release, check it out HERE!

Now, we have released several screenshots from the game today – so take a look at those. We will also be releasing the SECOND Trailer for Tesla Effect AT Salt Lake Comic Con.

Mutant League, if you can come to Salt Lake Comic Con, we would love to see you guys and thank you in person.

Chris Jones

Good for them! A 100% Kickstarted game from start-to-finish is a noble idea, but partnering with a smallish publisher like Atlus is a smart move.

They just released the 8+ minute trailer they debuted at Salt Lake Comic Con for backers and it was everything I could've hoped for and more. It's full of stars! Don't worry if you didn't back, official release is soon.

inm8num2

Very nice trailer. Jesus, this game is going to be huge with all the HD FMV. I'll probably need a new hard drive just to have enough space. :)

protonion

Greetings Mutant League!

Here are some October updates about Tesla Effect. The wallpaper pack is now available for backers who donated $5 and above to download. Login to www.bigfinishgames.com and then to the downloads section (http://www.bigfinishgames.com/mutant-league-download) to get your reward.

Also, Tesla Effect had a panel at the 2013 Salt Lake Comic Con. Video from the panel can be viewed on our Big Finish YouTube Page. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFj8cywZDc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPDCIuNbVnqvLRiVwStbvUQ

Our publishing partner ATLUS has helped us officially get onto STEAM. So, when the game debuts in the first quarter of 2014 – you have the option of getting your copy through STEAM. If you don’t want to go through STEAM, we’ll have more information on how to obtain a copy closer to the release of the game.

Last month, the AMAZING Kevin Murphy recorded voice work for Tesla Effect. He was super funny and gracious to fly out to Salt Lake to record Voice Over work and participate on our Comic Con panel. If you want to check out Kevin’s current work, go to www.rifftrax.com.

Thanks again!

Chris

Gonna have to play moon, directive & overseer to get myself back in the groove.

I love Chris Jones's videos, they're always so good. Guess it comes from all the experience he's built up making FMV games.

mclem

April 1st warning, but I don't think there's anything egregiously wrong with what I'm seeing, so I think it's legitimate:

It's up on GoG for preorder - and as a corollary, that means we have a release date.

April 22, 2014

Of course, I'm sceptical, given today, but that sounds about right given what they were aiming for.

Edit: Oh, that's a reassurance. I was bothered by the 1.3GB size, given the amount of 1080p FMV that should be in this, but apparently it's simply a placeholder.

Tizoc

Yo can we get an OP please? This being sold for $20 is wicked I might get it off Steam once the pre-order's up for them playfire rewards.

mclem

That's a pretty attractive price point.

Yeah, I was thinking that. The lowest buy-in for the game on the KS was $15, so it's still a saving if you went for the KS, but the pricepoint still reflects the fact that this is a slightly niche product. The only people who might possibly take issue is $30 backers who only went for that level for the soundtrack, but that's still quibbling over $12, and they got the making of out of it too.

Mr_Zombie

I've just played the demo. It's so strange to play a FMV adventure game in 2014. :D
Cinematics are great (Chris Jones is amazing). In-game 3D graphics... not so much. It's serviceable, but really simple on technological site (simple objects, flat textures etc). But one can get used to it. I must say that it's pretty dark in the demo. Without flashlight turned on you can easily miss few things.

The demo is quite lengthy - it took me about 1.5 hour. I spent a lot of time on the sliding puzzle though. I hate those. Other puzzles were rather easy.

For someone who have never played a Tex Murphy game before, what games in the series are essential to play in order to know what's going on?

I've just played the demo. It's so strange to play a FMV adventure game in 2014. :D
Cinematics are great (Chris Jones is amazing). In-game 3D graphics... not so much. It's serviceable, but really simple on technological site (simple objects, flat textures etc). But one can get used to it. I must say that it's pretty dark in the demo. Without flashlight turned on you can easily miss few things.

The demo is quite lengthy - it took me about 1.5 hour. I spent a lot of time on the sliding puzzle though. I hate those. Other puzzles were rather easy.

For someone who have never played a Tex Murphy game before, what games in the series are essential to play in order to know what's going on?

Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer. The latter is lesser Tex but ends on a cliffhanger that links to Tesla Effect.

Some people will suggest skipping Under a Killing Moon. Those people are fools!

They're all available on GOG.com.

Top Bottom