• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Gov. getting pissy over the NFL taking business elsewhere due to bathroom law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/governor-of-texas-rips-nfl-over-super-bowl-threats-concerning-bathroom-bill-181541549.html

Much like the NCAA pulling its championship events out of North Carolina due to the state's controversial transgender bathroom law, the NFL has said a similar bill in Texas could affect future plans in that state.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott didn't take kindly to that.

Senate Bill 6, which would make it illegal for transgender people from using bathrooms they feel match their gender identities, has been filed by Texas legislators. NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Associated Press that if a ”proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law there," it would be a factor in awarding future events. Simply put: If the bill becomes law, that will be included in the discussion of whether Houston or Dallas gets a Super Bowl in the future.

”The NFL is walking on thin ice right here," Abbott told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, according to the Texas Tribune. ”The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics."

Abbott had already made a nonsensical comparison to the NFL's ”bathroom bill" comments and Tom Brady's deflate-gate case, but his comments to Beck were a lot more forceful.

”For some low-level NFL adviser to come out and say that they are going to micromanage and try to dictate to the state of Texas what types of policies we're going to pass in our state, that's unacceptable," Abbott told Beck. ”We don't care what the NFL thinks and certainly what their political policies are because they are not a political arm of the state of Texas or the United States of America. They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics."

Abbott's comments are tough, but ultimately meaningless. The NFL has a right to take its business anywhere, and it has no obligation to give Texas any more Super Bowls.

The NFL has fucked up a lot, but who would have thought our sports organizations would support and have a big effect on Tranrights?

For more of Abbott's douchebaggery

Of course, no one could fault Mr. Abbott for accepting a settlement of more than $10 million from the homeowner of the property where he received his injury. Yet it seemed kind of churlish that he went on to work tirelessly against so-called frivolous lawsuits, and the tort reform he championed capped awards for people injured by medical malpractice at $250,000.

He refused to take Syrian refugees, which he doesn't have the power to do.

He ordered churches to stop offering refugees help. Churches told him he could stuff it and they would continue giving help.

Volimar

Abbott to learn that he's nowhere near as popular in Texas as football.

Also, it shouldn't need to be said, but humanitarianism isn't politics for most people.

rjc571

Banned
When the NFL has a claim to moral and ethical superiority over you, that's when you know you've really fucked up.

Piecake

“The NFL is walking on thin ice right here,” Abbott told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, according to the Texas Tribune. “The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics.”

The fuck does this even mean? The NFL doesn't owe Texas any Super Bowls. They are a private organization who can decide on their own whether it is in their best interests or whether it conflicts with their own morals to have a Super Bowl in Texas

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Durrr we want business to have freedom to do what it wants! As long as it lets us discriminate! Me angry! They mess with Texas! Durrr!

“The NFL is walking on thin ice right here,” Abbott told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, according to the Texas Tribune. “The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics.”

Nice head Abbott, you effin hypocrite.

Matty77

Texas is football capital of the world, too. This is a big deal.

Abbott to learn that he's nowhere near as popular in Texas as football.
Truth.

And kudos to the NFL, a league I follow and care a lot about, but not what I think of when think of progressive ideas and values for making the statement and hopefully standing by this decision.

Now if they could just do more about injuries, healthcare and players doing evil shit.

Tommy DJ

Politics is in every sport, its such a goddamn dumb statement. Even if the sport upholds the status quo, its still a political statement that your organisation agrees with the current state of things.

Even the Boston Celtics had an all black starting lineup because they were the best players to field, it was still a huge political statement at the time.

RPGCrazied

Good. Its hard to be a liberal living in this state if you don't live in a big city, like me. I'm all for getting a Democratic governor soon.

The title is excellent.

I'm down for the NFL standing up for rights, I just will believe it when I see it. But for now it looks good, as they will include it in future 'discussions'.

The real meat is if Texas does pass said bill... well... then we can see. But the hope is legislation like this gets murdered in the first place.

slit

”The NFL is walking on thin ice right here," Abbott told conservative radio host Glenn Beck, according to the Texas Tribune. ”The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics."

Why? What will happen? There are those that treat football as a religion. Even though their television ratings are down, people aren't going to stop watching or buying jerseys.

Hazmat

Abbott is a piece of shit that should recognize the importance of the government setting standards to preserve the dignity of its citizens when they are using public restrooms.

RPGCrazied

Why? What will happen? There are those that treat football as a religion. Even though their television ratings are down, people aren't going to stop watching or buying jerseys.

He can't do anything. He thinks he can, but he can't. Hot air.

Protein

Banned
Football and Big Business are a religion in Texas. Republican state legislature must feel conflicted right now.

Fuchsdh

Republicans love small government until small government goes against them.

No one actually loves small government in the US. Republicans and Democrats both want big government, just with different parts bigger than others.

But yeah, this is the free market at work. Deal with it, chumps.

Fuck 'em. You want to stomp on my rights, I have no sympathy. Let the economies of these states crash and fucking burn. I'm done feeling sorry.

Eusis

Dumbass is (willfully?) ignoring that politics is fundamentally about how we want the country to be run and what laws and policies are in place to work best for our lives. And the NFL clearly doesn't think this is something that is good for them or their audience.

And if this ban isn't just on government employees it'd be a potential issue to worry about at their games. That'd be pretty directly their fucking business!

EDIT: Nevermind that usually we kind of need outside help usually to actually make progressive changes. But then he wouldn't want that, would he?

This reminds me of that comment from Trump (or one of the other idiots) about keeping politics out of Hamilton >.>

Football games include the National Anthem, Military regalia, the Flag of the United States sometimes covering the entire field and Air Force flyovers... but please keep politics out of it!

Spasm

For more of Abbott's douchebaggery

Of course, no one could fault Mr. Abbott for accepting a settlement of more than $10 million from the homeowner of the property where he received his injury. Yet it seemed kind of churlish that he went on to work tirelessly against so-called frivolous lawsuits, and the tort reform he championed capped awards for people injured by medical malpractice at $250,000.
Ah, the proud conservative tradition of pulling up the ladder behind you.

finley83

Banned
What happened to letting the free market decide? It almost feels like Republicans don't have any principles at all!

Glix

So fucking laughable.

They arent dictating your policy, asshole. They are just telling you what the consequences will be.

Lot of Republicans waking up in the afterglow and realizing that the "validation" of their garbage beliefs offered by electing Trump does absolutely nothing to change the fact that, since he lost the popular vote and probably lost the "wallet" vote (ie, votes from people with disposable income) by even more, his policies are still poison for anyone who relies on the public goodwill to function properly, including major corporations.

Like there were legit huge numbers of GOP dipshits who thought winning one election meant they could just run outside and start shouting slurs at the top of their lungs and there would be no blowback anymore.

291323.gif

I mean, I like discrimination as much as the next guy
/s
, but is it really worth the money it'll cost you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom