• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Gov. getting pissy over the NFL taking business elsewhere due to bathroom law

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hypocrisy lol

Small government conservatives promote mindful consumer activism as a superior alternative to regulating unethical and unfair business practices.

"We don't need the civil rights act! People should have the right to discriminate and people should have the right to take their business elsewhere if they don't like it!"

Then when the free market reacts unfavorably to conservative policy making, they lose their shit.

Acting as if a business like the NFL shouldn't be political is hilarious. Making business choices around policy is smart business. You'll never see conservatives say that banks, insurance companies, and pharmaceutical companies shouldn't be involved in the political process. Insurance companies want to lobby to keep tax advantaged financial products? Hey that's fine!

Is the NFL fairly progressive or is there another reason they would make such a statement?

Obligatory fuck Abbott.

The math on opposing trans/gay rights already shakes down pretty poorly due to the concentration of the country's income into "liberal bastions", and it gets worse with every passing year as opinions shift on the issues.

Anti-LGBT, from a business perspective, just is not an intelligent political position for a major national/international corporation to take. That's why you have seen a major shift in public support from corporations on the issue in recent years: as soon as it hit the tipping point where being in support was more financially viable than being opposed, every corporation that runs based on pure profit motive made the switch (or continued to cultivate quiet neutrality while doing their due diligence in the background).

This is the reality of the "free market" that Republicans constantly trumpet.

Nydius

This is the line that had me laughing the most:

“The NFL needs to concentrate on playing football and get the heck out of politics.”

That has to be the most tone deaf statement I've ever heard, especially since politicians love to turn the screws to pro sports leagues over revenues, taxes, public stadium funding, and the like. How dare the league have a political opinion!

Kthulhu

Fuck Abbott. You'd think a paraplegic man would have more kindness and understanding.

At least Rick Perry was stupid. Abbott's just a dick.

"“For some low-level NFL adviser to come out and say that they are going to micromanage and try to dictate to the state of Texas what types of policies we’re going to pass in our state, that’s unacceptable,” Abbott told Beck. “We don’t care what the NFL thinks and certainly what their political policies are because they are not a political arm of the state of Texas or the United States of America. They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics.”
"

"We don't care what the NFL thinks, and therefore will complain a lot about what they think"

But seriously, the NFL is governing football. Doing business in a state that has such bathroom laws would see those laws applying to people visiting Texas, which would include trans people. Indeed, the NFL is explicitly obligated to protect trans fans from discrimination, and they are not obligated to give Texas business, no questions asked.

This is a great business move for them.

1. Texas benefits more from the Super Bowl than the NFL benefits from being there
2. There is so little competition for the NFL that boycotting them basically cuts the boycotter out of any quality football games (they would also be boycotting the NCAA)
3. Going off from that, cishet people - the people I would reckon are the most likely to boycott (and ultimately give in) - I would also reckon have the biggest % of interest in the NFL, bigger than the LGBT+ community. Opposing LGBT rights does not gain them anything, but supporting them attracts people who may otherwise not be interested (if only a handful of new fans).

Fisty

I would love to see Abbott try to enforce this law.

Line up for your crotch checks! Abbott decides which bathroom you use!

I would love to see Abbott try to enforce this law.

Line up for your crotch checks! Abbott decides which bathroom you use!

We already saw examples in NC, where women (trans and cis) were assaulted by cis men under the notion that they were quote-unquote "not really women," who ironically went into the women's bathroom to attack a woman.

Matty77

The GOP wants men to use the women's room and women to use the men's room if they are trans because they don't know shit about trans people and think they are all sexual predators.
Ehh, I'm willing to bet a lot of them don't actually think trans people are predators but they think it plays better than just saying they hate trans people for no reason.

Or no good, logical reason.

Ehh, I'm willing to bet a lot of them don't actually think trans people are predators but they think it plays better than just saying they hate trans people for no reason.

Or no good, logical reason.

Nah, this is a legitimate belief, or at the very least this mindset is so old that the disgusting nature of the belief should be tied to them. Gay men and trans women have been targeted as pedophiles, sexual predators, etc. for as far back as I can remember by conservatives.

ReAxion

I wonder what else you could extract from the voting public of Texas if you told them "no superbowls unless..."

What I would really love to see is the NFL holding their position that they will bail if the law passes, but then bail anyway even if the law never happens. I want to see corporations punish these people for even considering bullshit of this magnitude.

Matty77

Nah, this is a legitimate belief, or at the very least this mindset is so old that the disgusting nature of the belief should be tied to them. Gay men and trans women have been targeted as pedophiles, sexual predators, etc. for as far back as I can remember by conservatives.
I'm not saying it doesn't have history, I am just of the belief it comes from a "they're not like me so they must be perverts" and self projecting from why somebody they refuse to believe could have a different gender than physical biology would want to go in the bathroom. i.e.," they have a penis so they must be male, so it must be sexual since it's a women's bathroom" (not forgetting trans women, substitute pro nouns when neccasery) than it does from any kind of logical reasoning or empirical evidence.

Though I will retract my statement and say they do have belief, thinking something that can't be proved is true based on faith.

What I would really love to see is the NFL holding their position that they will bail if the law passes, but then bail anyway even if the law never happens. I want to see corporations punish these people for even considering bullshit of this magnitude.

The problem with that is that it reduces the threat of lost business if the NFL would leave with or without the bill, leading to Texas going hog wild. Better to reward fiscal conservatism for abandoning social conservatism than to make social conservatism eventually have no real economic threat.

I'm not saying it doesn't have history, I am just of the belief it comes from a "they're not like me so they must be perverts" and self projecting from why somebody they refuse to believe could have a different gender than physical biology would want to go in the bathroom. i.e.," they have a penis so they must be male, so it must be sexual since it's a women's bathroom" (not forgetting trans women, substitute pro nouns when neccasery) than it does from any kind of logical reasoning or empirical evidence.

Though I will retract my statement and say they do have belief, thinking something that can't be proved is true based on faith.

Fair 'nuff

Ponn

Banned
We just dealt with this shit here in Jacksonville, and won. At least we got something right in part of Florida. It was still fought hard by the "concerned parents" and preachers but in the end it was the businesses worried about their pocket books and what happened with NC who got our protection bill through. The power of sports finally came through for some good.

Texan here. Abbott is a piece of shit. Still can't believe Wendy Davis blew what momentum she had with one of her PACs pushing a wheelchair ad.

Good on the NFL for sticking it to Texas. The more heat on this state's obsession, the better. I hope the NCAA follows.

I was watching the Super Bowl with a bunch of conservatives and they were acting like such snowflakes.

Anything remotely political drove them nuts.

"And crowd thy good, with brotherhood and sisterhood"

"They just had to get in that political digg, didn't they?"

"Oh Lady Gaga better not come out and say something political!"

Wulfric

Hmm, doesn't he believe in a free market? The NFL is more than welcome is do business in a state where politics don't dictate where people take a pee. It's like these idiots don't see what happened to North Carolina. They don't listen to their constituents, just the sound of corporations moving their money out of state.

Buckle

Money is the only thing that talks to these people. You would think North Carolina would be a lesson to these people
Pretty much.

Their convictions are not nearly as strong as their greed.

Threatening their wallet is the quickest way to deal with them.

"They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics."

This seriously reads like a shitpost in an Anita Sarkeesian youtube comment section...good lord.

I don't think it's going to happen... the NFL can talk about this whilst it's an abstract idea.
If it ends up being something they actually get into they'll negotiate before they walk out of Texas.
They're not going to put money on the line over this.
Not whilst there's still a Dallas Cowboys gridiron team.

Josh7289

"They need to learn their place in the United States, which is to govern football, not politics."

This seriously reads like a shitpost in an Anita Sarkeesian youtube comment section...good lord.

Yup, it's also very authoritarian. The "small government" myth of the Republicans is such a sham.

I bet Jerry Jones is really hoping that the state isn't stupid enough to do this bill.

Houston just got a second Super Bowl on the back of getting $50m in renovations to the stadium to bring it up to the standard of the Super Bowl. The town previously got one in 2004 for building their current stadium in 2002. Otherwise, the league tends to award Super Bowls as a reward for getting taxpayer funded stadiums built.

They got this one because there was a gap where new stadiums had already been used and Houston's a good climate for a February game. They will most likely not get another Super Bowl until it's time to replace NRG unless things turn dire in other warm weather climates. They're pretty much out of the running at this point and probably don't care all that much.

On the other hand, Jerryworld got the game in 2011 and might get a crack at a second in the span around 2022-4 (which would be the next few games the league decides on). But the league had headaches with getting the game done back then, not the least was the fact that the stadium is located in Arlington while all the stuff people want to do are either in Dallas or Fort Worth, which are a solid 25-30 minute drive on a crowded interstate. Add in this political bullshit, and the NFL might decide it doesn't need another round through Arlington.

I don't think it's going to happen... the NFL can talk about this whilst it's an abstract idea.
If it ends up being something they actually get into they'll negotiate before they walk out of Texas.

The NCAA is pretty big in North Carolina (not NFL big, but pretty big considering it's the home of Duke/UNC/Wake Forest/NC State), and they warned NC about HB2, and then they followed through.

The only one who could get them to change their minds is Jerry, and I don't see him doing it.

They won't talk about it because the NFL has less to lose than Texas. There are other markets that would be happy to host the Super Bowl, and the NFL can afford to lose Texas more than Texas can afford to lose the NFL. Abbott is so aggressive about it because the more frightened you get, the angrier you get.

LycanXIII

I'd extend past the Super Bowl into Playoff games as well, especially since the Cowboys did well this season. See if Jerry Jones has any influence then.

I'd extend past the Super Bowl into Playoff games as well, especially since the Cowboys did well this season. See if Jerry Jones has any influence then.

Playoff games are hosted by the team with the better record, and I don't think they'd go as far as to change that because of politics.

///PATRIOT

Banned
The GOP wants men to use the women's room and women to use the men's room if they are trans because they don't know shit about trans people and think they are all sexual predators.

Republicans want to force this guy to use the women's bathroom:

CMC2016_Wildcard_Benjamin_ohne_Logo_800x462.jpg.jpg

wow, that's pretty dumb.

Of course, no one could fault Mr. Abbott for accepting a settlement of more than $10 million from the homeowner of the property where he received his injury. Yet it seemed kind of churlish that he went on to work tirelessly against so-called frivolous lawsuits, and the tort reform he championed capped awards for people injured by medical malpractice at $250,000.

Anyone who trots out the above is either ignorant of the law or is willfully misleading the ignorant. Awards aren't capped at 250,000, that is for pain and suffering. There is no cap on awards for medical bills and lost income. Anyone that states the cap is 250k without using the words "pain and suffering" has an agenda, so be wary.

edit: that sounds harsh against the OP, I intend that to be against whatever journo wrote the original quote

What has the NFL to lose by not letting Texan teams the Superbowl? There are more than enough stadiums that'd love to host the Superbowl..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom