• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Texas Gun Owners Worry That Open Carry Is Backfiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koppai

Well this is an oddly sensationalist article that made me think gun advocates were actually unhappy about gun prevelance. Instead it's a stupid logistics issue. All it'll take is a couple of protests and a state-forced pricing adjustment by the organization that prints the signs (make the double notice three times as expensive or something), and all will be right for NRA enthusiasts.
I don't think it cost anything to print a sign...I think they just go online and print it.

entremet

Next stop: repealing the 30.06 law.

Won't be surprised if it happened!

Businesses are pretty powerful in Texas. I can't see it happening.

It's funny because this a far right dilemma. Who's freedoms matter more the gun owners or the businesses who have the right to refuse service?

Blader

6XHMEFl.gif

This gif always cracks me up

Ekdrm2d1

Businesses are pretty powerful in Texas. I can't see it happening.

Houston is the energy capital of the world per se. There are tons of oil and gas companies headquartered in Houston.

Oddly enough, when you are dealing with billions of dollars... 30.06 and 30.07 signs are posted outside their oil towers.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how stores banning concealed handguns will deter CHL owners from carrying. The weapon is CONCEALED so they can walk into any store they want and no one will know they are carrying unless stores put in metal detectors at the entrances. It's not like CHL owners announced to everyone they had a weapon on them as they walked into every store. The reason Target and other stores are openly banning concealed handguns is to make the anti-gun crowd have peace of mind. So at the end of the day everyone wins from a mentality standpoint. Anti gun people are happy that stores are banning people from carrying, and CHL carriers can continue to carry guns into stores that banned them because they are concealed and they'll never know guns are being brought in. Ignorance is bliss y'all. 30.06 on a door is essentially cosmetic and meant to give everyone the best of both worlds

CHL carriers have been bringing guns in stores for years but you would never know it. They won't suddenly be more dangerous if they disobey the 30.06 sign
we've been told all along that if you "ban all guns, only outlaws will have guns" implying that "responsible gun owners" follow the rules, are you now saying that these "responsible gun owners" aren't going to follow the rules?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Before the "responsible gun owners" response to Newtown and all this crazy open carry shit started happening i was an advocate of gun ownership with a very open view of the 2nd Amendment. It was then i realized that "responsible gun owner" most likely meant insane scared weaklings too afraid to confront actual tyranny and changed my mind.

Sushi Nao

we've been told all along that if you "ban all guns, only outlaws will have guns" implying that "responsible gun owners" follow the rules, are you now saying that these "responsible gun owners" aren't going to follow the rules?

Apparently gun forums have a ton of "defeating checks" topics.

I think it's probably more important to them that they feel cool and badass, rather than follow librul laws

Sylas

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see how stores banning concealed handguns will deter CHL owners from carrying. The weapon is CONCEALED so they can walk into any store they want and no one will know they are carrying unless stores put in metal detectors at the entrances. It's not like CHL owners announced to everyone they had a weapon on them as they walked into every store. The reason Target and other stores are openly banning concealed handguns is to make the anti-gun crowd have peace of mind. So at the end of the day everyone wins from a mentality standpoint. Anti gun people are happy that stores are banning people from carrying, and CHL carriers can continue to carry guns into stores that banned them because they are concealed and they'll never know guns are being brought in. Ignorance is bliss y'all. 30.06 on a door is essentially cosmetic and meant to give everyone the best of both worlds

I like to imagine we live in a world where everyone who has a CHL isn't insane or a raging asshole. Just because it's concealed doesn't mean you won't accidentally show it to someone when you're bending over to pick something up, moving your jacket around--any number of things. With the ban openly and immediately stated, it's very likely that a CHL-carrier opens themselves up for a lifetime ban from a store, if not litigation, for carrying where it's clearly not allowed.

Genuine accidents happen when it comes to showing someone that you're carrying and I imagine a lot of these people that are complaining are complaining about that.

Note: This isn't supporting CHL or anything. Just saying what I imagine some of the mindsets are like here.

zma1013

I think it's probably more important to them that they feel cool and badass, rather than follow librul laws

Seems like to me these people like finding whatever loopholes or grey areas they can in a neverending effort to "stick it to the govment" It's as if they are playing the annoying "I'm not touching you" game and enjoy harassing and boasting about how close they come without touching you.

aeolist

Banned
i used to only see these signs at bars and some grocery stores so i was under the impression that they were only at places where alcohol was served.

now they're everywhere. knowing this actually makes me feel better overall, since it was incredibly easy to buy guns and get a CCL even before the new laws. never saw anyone open carry around town either so this is really just hurting the CCL holders which i'm all for.

Ekdrm2d1

i used to only see these signs at bars and some grocery stores so i was under the impression that they were only at places where alcohol was served.

now they're everywhere. knowing this actually makes me feel better overall, since it was incredibly easy to buy guns and get a CCL even before the new laws. never saw anyone open carry around town either so this is really just hurting the CCL holders which i'm all for.

tumblr_n0uph7XgRv1qc542uo2_250.gif

Eh most people are not gonna just go "fuck it" and take a risk of breaking the law. They also take a chance of things going bad and losing the right to even own a gun if the property decides to press charges

idlewild_

The majority of businesses are against the new law. You see posted signs at every other business.

Some of the signs:

It makes me smile with joy every time I see one of these.

So these are only for handguns? The quotes in the OP seemed to say it was for all open carry.

Yea, I don't understand why I should feel safe when some random person comes in to my place of business with a gun. Why should I think that person is any less crazy than the loonies I see on TV?

aeolist

Banned
lol it's only a class c misdemeanor if you ignore the signs

As of January 1, 2016, the charge for failing to heed signage has been reduced to a Class C misdemeanor, unless it can be shown at trial that the actor was given oral notice and failed to depart, in which case it remains a Class A misdemeanor. This is a significant difference, in that conviction of a Class A or B misdemeanor will result in the loss of your handgun license for at least 5 years, this is not the case if convicted of a Class C misdemeanor.

jmdajr

Yea, I don't understand why I should feel safe when some random person comes in to my place of business with a gun. Why should I think that person is any less crazy than the loonies I see on TV?

Feel same. Hell people don't even trust them on law enforcement, let alone random dude playing old west.

Ekdrm2d1

Even then.. people can snap.

PhD's, doctors, attorneys, judges, social workers.. You can't trust anybody with a gun.

Example:
A spinal surgeon just caught his wife having an affair. His mental state will not be the same.. If he has a gun he might use it.

Blader

Does deliberating trying to bypass checks and carry firearms (concealed or open) into private businesses that specifically forbid it not constitute an irresponsible gun owner?

Measley

Honestly that entire push for open-carry just seemed like a middle finger to Obama and liberals. No one actually feels more safe when they're at an Applebee's or a Wal-Mart surrounded by people with guns.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's pretty much a fact that owning and carrying a gun makes you more dangerous and puts you and your family in danger more than keeping you safe...

So yeah...

Businesses don't want guns. If guns are so safe why do financial interests disagree? If capitalism is good at something it's maximizing profit.

johnny956

I like to imagine we live in a world where everyone who has a CHL isn't insane or a raging asshole. Just because it's concealed doesn't mean you won't accidentally show it to someone when you're bending over to pick something up, moving your jacket around--any number of things. With the ban openly and immediately stated, it's very likely that a CHL-carrier opens themselves up for a lifetime ban from a store, if not litigation, for carrying where it's clearly not allowed.

Genuine accidents happen when it comes to showing someone that you're carrying and I imagine a lot of these people that are complaining are complaining about that.

Note: This isn't supporting CHL or anything. Just saying what I imagine some of the mindsets are like here.

This happened at Best Buy recently. Guy was bending over, revealed concealed gun. Employee told GM, who informed a cop who happened to be in store. They went over to the guy and told him if he doesn't leave immediately he'll be charged with trespassing and some other gun related crime. GM told the guy if he comes back into the store again armed that he will be charged immediately

entremet

It's pretty much a fact that owning and carrying a gun makes you more dangerous and puts you and your family in danger more than keeping you safe...

So yeah...

Businesses don't want guns. If guns are so safe why do financial interests disagree? If capitalism is good at something it's maximizing profit.

I'm fine with the 2nd Amendment as is personally, but open carry scares the crap out of me.

Even seeing military soldiers with their standard rifles in places like Grand Central Station in NYC freaks me out and they're obviously trained and only doing their job.

Regular dudes with them? Yikes.

I'm ok with this.

I never got the whole "I want to show my gun to the world" angle.. I mean if I was at the supermarket and some dude stood next to me with a gun in clear sight, I probably wouldn't feel comfortable and would probably stop going to that supermarket.

I don't know who this person is or what his intentions are but I do know he has something in plain sight that could kill me. fuck that.

Ekdrm2d1

Even seeing military soldiers with their standard rifles in places like Grand Central Station in NYC freaks me out and they're obviously trained and only doing their job..

Same.

I would like them trained with mental health. They are military, not doctors or social workers.

People who carry firearms needs extensive education. PhD's, licensed clinical social workers, etc.

People with guns in plain view are more of a target for a crime than people with concealed guns or no guns at all. They're also more threatening to everyone around them.

It's like having your cash sticking out of the back of your pocket in plain view. That gun is a means to all sorts of ends for some other nefarious people.

The foolish fantasy of some gun owners is that they'll see the danger or threat coming and have time to draw their gun and make a clean shot. But having that gun in plain view is tipping off the criminal to be more covert about whatever their agenda is.

The reality is that most criminals and thieves are not going to allow you to be ready to react. They will be more prepared to deal with your weapon than you will be prepared to use your weapon.

jmdajr

So I guess that's why open carry in most states isn't even a big deal since most places of business etc. ban them.

It's like have 3 stripes of lamb's blood to let the plague go by.

If this is a nono, just delete the post mods. I think the people who were behind this bill would have a way to blackball businesses who put these signs up thinking they would be only a few. Interesting to see it's a noticeable amount to have the NRA to think this was a wrong move.

Tobor

I've noticed in VA these signs are now everywhere. No idea if there are legal implications for ignoring them here or not, but the signs are up.

Bradach

It seems to me that the american constitution needs an update. It was written hundreds of years ago. The world was a different place then.

In Ireland we vote to make changes to the constitution often.

Feel same. Hell people don't even trust them on law enforcement, let alone random dude playing old west.

The police in Ireland don't have guns, you'd like it here. There is a special branch that are armed but the normal patrol man just has a 2-way radio and his wits about him.

So does religious books.

That's a different subject.

Couldn't agree more!

Chariot

I've noticed in VA these signs are now everywhere. No idea if there are legal implications for ignoring them here or not, but the signs are up.
I think somebody explained that ignoring them and going with firearms into the businesses would be handled like trespassing.

inky

Turns out businesses don't feel any safer with you people walking with your guns out like it was 1860. Who knew?

mAcOdIn

So I guess that's why open carry in most states isn't even a big deal since most places of business etc. ban them.
I think there's also been a mood change in the country with Obama in office, I doubt if a Republican were in office that people would have flooded Chili's and Target with open carry protests in the numbers they did nor do I think State and local officials would have backed them like they did. I think people were a tad more reasonable. Excluding rural areas where you may have a gun rack or some shit but I mean, rural and city America are two different beats. Perhaps I'm wrong and there were always large open carry protests and shit but to me it felt different recently.

Ekdrm2d1

Turns out businesses don't feel any safer with you people walking with your guns out like it was 1860. Who knew?

JP Morgan Chase and Bank of America allow Open Carry.

So weird!

Edit: I did research a few weeks ago. I may be mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom