• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Texas Gun Owners Worry That Open Carry Is Backfiring"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the american constitution needs an update. It was written hundreds of years ago. The world was a different place then.

In Ireland we vote to make changes to the constitution often.

From what I've seen of american politics, there's a certain group of politicians that venerate the founding fathers and their constitution to the point that changing it in any way (especially the 2nd amendment) is seen as blasphemy.

As long as people like that have influence, nothing will change.

The Wall

Banned
So we have gun nerds that no one wants to be around? Fuckers thought the 2nd amendment gave them a cool pass. Good, no one wants you around.

See, here's where I want to say I think people should try to differentiate between gun nerds and gun nuts. To me, gun nerds are people who have an interest and appreciation for something, but want to follow laws, be as safe as possible and enjoy their hobby without bothering or hurting anyone. Gun nuts, from my perspective, are the ones that turn it into something... else...

jmdajr

I think there's also been a mood change in the country with Obama in office, I doubt if a Republican were in office that people would have flooded Chili's and Target with open carry protests in the numbers they did nor do I think State and local officials would have backed them like they did. I think people were a tad more reasonable. Excluding rural areas where you may have a gun rack or some shit but I mean, rural and city America are two different beats. Perhaps I'm wrong and there were always large open carry protests and shit but to me it felt different recently.

As far as I know it wasn't a problem, and then it became one. GOP politicians just want to go more extreme. They have to do more idiotic shit to stir up the base.

Maybe stuff will be less crazy with a white person as president again. Fucking sad.

Parch

He's not boycotting them, he's just not allowed in.
Gun nuts not allowed in so they want to consider it a boycott. That's not a boycott.

A much more effective boycott would be customers refusing to shop at stores who don't put up the signs. In a sane world, every building in the state would display those signs loud and proud.

platocplx

This happened at Best Buy recently. Guy was bending over, revealed concealed gun. Employee told GM, who informed a cop who happened to be in store. They went over to the guy and told him if he doesn't leave immediately he'll be charged with trespassing and some other gun related crime. GM told the guy if he comes back into the store again armed that he will be charged immediately

i saw a guy open carrying like that at a best buy too its pretty damn scary. gun grip had tape on it and shit too.

platocplx

From what I've seen of american politics, there's a certain group of politicians that venerate the founding fathers and their constitution to the point that changing it in any way (especially the 2nd amendment) is seen as blasphemy.

yeah if you think about it its pretty freaking crazy to think that people 200 - 300 plus years ago or longer know better than people of today on every law or act when you can point at so many fallacies of their day. They were right about some things but some things and traditions do need to die.

Ekdrm2d1

This happened at Best Buy recently. Guy was bending over, revealed concealed gun. Employee told GM, who informed a cop who happened to be in store. They went over to the guy and told him if he doesn't leave immediately he'll be charged with trespassing and some other gun related crime. GM told the guy if he comes back into the store again armed that he will be charged immediately

I will be the customer who tells the GM there is somebody with a gun.

idlewild_

I think the signs just uses a simple hand gun to get the point across

The text explicitly says handgun instead of all firearms, which is why I was wondering.

edit:
PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.07, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY LICENSE
HOLDER WITH AN OPENLY CARRIED HANDGUN
), A PERSON LICENSED
UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN
LICENSING LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A HANDGUN
THAT IS CARRIED OPENLY

Bradach

As an outsider, I get that impression too. The constitution should reflect the will of the people, so why not put it to the people? I don't see why there shouldn't be a vote on deleting the 2nd amendment for example.

Darksol

tinyviolin.gif

Gun nuts not allowed in so they want to consider it a boycott. That's not a boycott.

A much more effective boycott would be customers refusing to shop at stores who don't put up the signs. In a sane world, every building in the state would display those signs loud and proud.

In an even saner world those signs would never be put up in the first place because nobody would feel the need to go everywhere with a gun :p

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
JP Morgan Chase and Bank of America allow Open Carry.

So weird!

Edit: I did research a few weeks ago. I may be mistaken.

Was highly skeptical of this claim and a few seconds on Google show that both Chase and Bank of America do not allow open carry.

edit: hell even some on open carry forums say Chase and Bofa wont give loans to or even open up accounts for gun stores or gun manufacturers.

In a sane world, they wouldn't have to.

edit: beaten by Darksol ;)
tinyviolin.gif

In an even saner world those signs would never be put up in the first place because nobody would feel the need to go everywhere with a gun :p

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm fine with the 2nd Amendment as is personally, but open carry scares the crap out of me.

Even seeing military soldiers with their standard rifles in places like Grand Central Station in NYC freaks me out and they're obviously trained and only doing their job.

Regular dudes with them? Yikes.

Im also ok with the second amendment but shit needs to be regulated. I would have strict standards for ownership and strick limitations on where you are allowed to take your gun.

The right to bear arms (as part of a well regulated militia) doesn't mean the right to bear all and any arms with no regulations whatsoever.

As a Texan, I have yet to see someone open carry. Granted, I live in a metropolitan area/suburb, where guns aren't really seen unless its during a criminal act. In general, the "law abiding citizens" line is pretty true. Gun lovers are quiet responsible, but where they lose me is buying into the NRAs messaging about not allowing any sort of expanded protections on who can buy guns. Its conspiracy theory level of reasoning. They fear having their guns stripped away from them via having a database with all gun owners in it. But at the same time, they are right that criminals will get a gun regardless.

I have no doubt that open carry will cause an incident somewhere, because of irrational thinking in the heat of the moment. But is open carrying really the main issue with guns? Not really. To me, poverty and financial burdens are the main culprits of deaths from guns, whether it is organized crime, the drug war, suicide or just plain irresponsibility in storing guns, the issue is more cultural than just guns vs no guns.

The best way to get rid of guns is to have a society that doesn't need them.

Ekdrm2d1

Was highly skeptical of this claim and a few seconds on Google show that both Chase and Bank of America do not allow open carry

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/which-private-businesses-have-opted-out-of-open-carry-8029865

Similarly, Bank of America offered a less-than-specific response. In emails, spokesperson Tara Burke would only say that the bank will "abide by state law." Again, based on that non-answer it seems as though the bank's Texas branches will allow open carry inside. How security will be able to differentiate a lawful gun-toting citizen from your average bank robber is unclear.

Updated 11:30 a.m.: Chase Bank will not prohibit open carry, according to an email sent to us by spokesman Greg Hassell on Wednesday morning: "In states where open carry of a weapon is allowed, we do not restrict a customer from carrying a weapon, unless that customer is acting in an aggressive, hostile or intimidating manner, or making menacing references to a weapon."

boiled goose

good with gravy
As a Texan, I have yet to see someone open carry. Granted, I live in a metropolitan area/suburb, where guns aren't really seen unless its during a criminal act. In general, the "law abiding citizens" line is pretty true. Gun lovers are quiet responsible, but where they lose me is buying into the NRAs messaging about not allowing any sort of expanded protections on who can buy guns. Its conspiracy theory level of reasoning. They fear having their guns stripped away from them via having a database with all gun owners in it. But at the same time, they are right that criminals will get a gun regardless.

I have no doubt that open carry will cause an incident somewhere, because of irrational thinking in the heat of the moment. But is open carrying really the main issue with guns? Not really. To me, poverty and financial burdens are the main culprits of deaths from guns, whether it is organized crime, the drug war, suicide or just plain irresponsibility in storing guns, the issue is more cultural than just guns vs no guns.

The best way to get rid of guns is to have a society that doesn't need them.

I agree the issue is cultural because im sure most people already dont need gun.

Statistically, owning a gun is more dangerous than not. So Yeah... not needed.

jmdajr

H-E-B, Whole Foods and Safeway (which owns Randall's) announced last week that they will not allow open carry inside their Texas locations.

But gun owners can carry their handguns openly in Kroger grocery stores,

Heh, they are building a Kroger next to my HEB. Gun nuts rejoice!

Ekdrm2d1

H-E-B, Whole Foods and Safeway (which owns Randall's) announced last week that they will not allow open carry inside their Texas locations.

But gun owners can carry their handguns openly in Kroger grocery stores,

Heh, they are building a Kroger next to my HEB. Gun nuts rejoice!

I am boycotting Kroger.

Central Market (H-E-B) is where it's at :p

RPGCrazied

Good, as a Texan this affects me. Any store I go into and see someone with a gun on their hip, sane or not, I'm out. I detest guns.

mclem

So does religious books.

That's a different subject.

It does seem that there's a certain mentality among some in the US that basically regards the constitution as a religious document. Which is interesting when you take into account the Second Commandment...

Used-ID

I've yet to see any signs barring entry for either concealed or open carry where I live in Texas (woodlands area).

As a gun nerd with a concealed carry permit (now open carry) I'm kind of glad things are going against the gun nuts.

And I say that even having bought a semi-auto .308 on Sunday.

The state, and the country need better gun laws - ones that aren't watered down BS.

Richbirdhunter said:
So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
lol

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81652&sid=ba8d125248830f863707f6a7efff0f74#p1041163

Ekdrm2d1

I've yet to see any signs barring entry for either concealed or open carry where I live in Texas (woodlands area).

Oh my. I just called the Woodlands Waterway Marriott, a class-a hotel, and they allow open carry just not at the bar. Disgusting.

Thought class-a buildings prohibited it. Don't want to scare away the wealth.

So I went to the forums referenced in OPs article... fun read, this is one of my favourite posts though:

As I see it those who post signs are showing me what they really think of my right to carry. My response to them.... You will never see me in your establishment ever again. I will let every one of my friends know that you restrict our right to carry. Not because of requirements by law but that you chose to post a 3006 and a 3007 sign. I am sure you will have others who will walk right past your signs and never give them a second glance and still pay for your goods or services. I, being a responsible gun owner, will walk away taking my money with me.

Good bye and good riddance I say.

Ponn

Banned
Sounds like those gun nuts who pop up after shootings who parade around with rifles and AR-15's.

"I'm just walking around on the street and JC Penny in public with my rifle to make people more comfortable with gun owners and show we are responsible gun owners, whats the problem??"

Iorv3th

Oh my. I just called the Woodlands Waterway Marriott, a class-a hotel, and they allow open carry just not at the bar. Disgusting.

I don't really see why it upsets you so much. They still have to be licensed. Which before they would have been licensed but just had it concealed so you wouldn't have known they had guns or not.

I have yet to see anyone open carrying though.

Used-ID

If it makes you feel better, I've yet to see a single person open carry.

It only seems to be a big deal for the nuts out there.

What I'm waiting for are the news reports about guns stolen while someone is open carrying. Or better yet, open carry people losing their gun somewhere while they shop/run errands.

mclem

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?

lol

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81652&sid=ba8d125248830f863707f6a7efff0f74#p1041163

I'm mostly surprised that he's acknowledging that Obamacare does, in fact, make people safer.

download_20160113_1107372_zpslspdkezx.jpg

Meanwhile where I work, customers left this comment

Ekdrm2d1

I don't really see why it upsets you so much. They still have to be licensed. Which before they would have been licensed but just had it concealed so you wouldn't have known they had guns or not.

I have yet to see anyone open carrying though.

I don't believe in guns. I stayed at that hotel during my brother's wedding. I was in awe of the beautiful building. It's a shame to know they support guns that's all.

I wonder how easy it is to get a gun license. It should be as hard as a Doctorate degree. You should go to school for 8 years in order to be a licensed gun owner.

Guevara

This is all pretty hilarious, until you remember these people honestly expect to enter into (AND WIN) a Matrix lobby-like shoot out at literally any moment.

evilr

Banned
What an insane law... What year is it? People are actually allowed to show their guns in public? So if an actual terrorist walked in with a gun no-one would bat an eyelid until it's too late?

Remind me to never visit Texas, nor America for that matter. The gun law in general is totally fucking nuts, thank goodness I'm English.

Yeah signs have been popping up all over around here (south of DFW), I don't think I've even seen a person open carry at all at this point. It's a good feeling

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I live in Houston and haven't seen not one person open carry. I feel that most people, even gun owners, don't see the need for it. I live on a street with 3 law enforcement officials. Before the law went into effect they all said that the only thing open carry is going to do is bring more scrutiny on gun owners. Two of them even went conspiracy theory and said they thought that was the real intended purpose of the law. Either way, seems like they were right.

To see NRA board members openly saying open carry (in the OP) was a bad idea is something I never thought I would see. I do think that the majority of people in Texas don't agree with the law, but more importantly don't understand the need to open carry.

evilr

Banned
Guns do NOT make you safer. Better defences also increases offence capabilities.

5 in every 100,000 people are murdered with a gun in the US, yet only 1 in 100,000 are in the UK.

Ban guns altogether, it's insane, and I fear for any man's safety that allow such medieval practices.

This is 2016, not the flipping Wild West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom