• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas teachers give ‘most likely to become a terrorist’ award to 13-year-old

Downhome

I really would have liked to have been in the room when these idiots were coming up with this idea. I can imagine a cute little joking ceremony being still and stupid and everyone having a good time, and actually giving out "fake" awards that were lighthearted. I'm sure that's been done before, nothing wrong with that. But terrorist? Homeless? I can't fathom who in their mind would come up with that, much less teachers. Yes, everyone involved in that should be fired.

Hyun Sai

Found one of the teachers

James-McAvoy-filth-middle-finger.gif

Budi

That is some mortifying shit. Was there any attempt by the teacher to backpedal that comment or were they just totally clueless?

Well, I guess this another example isn't as blatant. But I also got awarded "Hymypoika"-statue in the 6th grade, it's an award that was given by teachers to a boy and a girl who are friendly, polite, cheerful or something. But it came in a styrofoam box and that same teacher said something along the lines "You can also use that box to store all the ice cream". Without the another slight with the ham, I wouldn't think much about this. Since kids like ice cream. But because it was the same teacher, I'm pretty sure it was a deliberate joke too. With all this though, I still liked the teacher honestly. But I don't think that kind of joking was really appropriate at all. I guess he thought I can take a bit of ribbing.

sphagnum

Banned
Honestly, I think it's badly timed but kind of funny. I would have appreciated one of my teachers giving me something like that. But obviously it's not for everybody and unless you have a good relationship with your teacher where you know each other's senses of humor it's inappropriate.

Armaros

Honestly, I think it's badly timed but kind of funny. I would have appreciated one of my teachers giving me something like that. But obviously it's not for everybody and unless you have a good relationship with your teacher where you know each other's senses of humor it's inappropriate.

In this environment? When actual terrorism is occurring across the globe? And rampant islamapobia?

F34R

I would have stood up, and my speech would start with, "Ma'am, you're probably right, and you'll be the first person I search for..."

Zomba13

What the fuck? And some of those other awards are fucked up too. Fair enough you want to have some mock award ceremony for fun or whatever but pick, you know, fun categories.

Dalek

Texas Teacher Who Gave Student ‘Most Likely to Become a Terrorist' Award Is Out of a Job

A teacher at a Texas middle school is out of a job after she gave mock awards to students that included designations like ”most likely to become a terrorist" and ”most likely to blend in with white people," the school district and local media reports said.

”We have concluded our investigation, and the teacher responsible is no longer employed by the district," the Channelview Independent School District said in a one-sentence statement when asked on Wednesday to confirm reports that the teacher was no longer working at the school, located in Channelview, near Houston.

A spokesman did not reply to questions about whether the teacher had been fired or had resigned.

The teacher was not named in the district statement, but the certificates were signed by Stacy Lockett, who handed out the ”awards" last week as part of a ceremony to celebrate the end of the term at Anthony Aguirre Junior High.

Lizeth Villanueva, 13, a seventh grader in the teacher's AVID program, which prepares advanced students for college, told KPRC television that her teacher ”just laughed" when she signed and handed her the certificate printed with the words ”most likely to become a terrorist" above her name.

”I was bothered," she said. ”I don't like it." She told the station that other students were given certificates that read ”most likely to cry" or ”most likely to become homeless in Guatemala.'"

According to a report on Fox 26, the mother of a black seventh grader said that her daughter, Sydney Caesar, was given an award that read ”most likely to blend in with white people."

"For that child to either be called a terrorist or she's not black enough, basically now the students are taking that, and that's her label for the rest of the school year," said Sydney's mother, Latonya Robinson.

Debbie Feinberg, a spokeswoman at AVID, which is based in San Diego, said the teacher was not an AVID employee. AVID is a nonprofit organization that offers its academic and social support to students to help them prepare for college.

An AVID statement called the episode a ”reprehensible action of a single teacher" that did not reflect the organization's values and said it was a ”terrible lapse in judgment by this one teacher."

Ms. Lockett could not be reached on Wednesday. KPRC also reported that other students had said they liked her as a teacher.

VRFg3c8.png

Kids get bullied enough in school by their peers. They don't need this shit.

Teachers that hand out fake awards should make them funny and positive, like "Most likely to own several mansions" or "most likely to own the coolest pet" or "Most likely to meet the tooth fairy".

Kids get bullied enough in school by their peers. They don't need this shit.

Teachers that hand out fake awards should make them funny and positive, like "Most likely to own several mansions" or "most likely to own the coolest pet" or "Most likely to meet the tooth fairy".

Mine was "most likely to end up on a sex offender registry". Well in your face teachers! Shows what you know!

I think it begs the comparison between "most likely to cry" and "most likely to become a terrorist." One is based in (presumably) the person's emotional state, while the other is based in the person's religion. I could see it being not as offensive if the other student was given a "most likely to have eight kids in a trailer park" award to a white girl, but that didn't appear to happen.

KillLaCam

Banned
So as a college student I'd laugh if I got the most likely to blend in with white people award. But no kid should be given anything like that, its 100 times worse giving that to a kid. That's not a joke in that situation.

The terrorist thing isnt a joke in any situation though. Those teachers are idiots.

Two Words

So as a college student I'd laugh if I got the most likely to blend in with white people award. But no kid should be given anything like that, its 100 times worse giving that to a kid. That's not a joke in that situation.

The terrorist thing isnt a joke in any situation though. Those teachers are idiots.

Why would paying for the education out of your own pocket make it any more acceptable?

KillLaCam

Banned
Why would paying for the education out of your own pocket make it any more acceptable?

I guess I should have said "Today I would have found that funny if it was given to me". It has nothing to do with actually being in College, more about my age. I just used college because we're talking about an award given to someone at school.

I personally would have found it funny because I'm a black guy who sounds like the stereotypical blonde surfer dude. So thats actually something I wouldn't have been surprised about if it was handed to me. Especially since im on joking/hangout terms with alot of my former professors. I can't count the number of times that people thought I was one of those guys. It's not offensive to me because I 100% sound like the stereotype.

You can't just give that to a random college student and expect it to be acceptable.

Two Words

I guess I should have said "Today I would have found that funny if it was given to me". It has nothing to do with actually being in College, more about my age. I just used college because we're talking about an award given to someone at school.

I personally would have found it funny because I'm a black guy who sounds like the stereotypical blonde surfer dude. So thats actually something I wouldn't have been surprised about if it was handed to me. Especially since im on joking/hangout terms with alot of my former professors. I can't count the number of times that people thought I was one of those guys. It's not offensive to me because I 100% sound like the stereotype.

You can't just give that to a random college student and expect it to be acceptable.

Eh, as a Black guy who similarly is always told I "sound white", people need to cut that shit out. There isn't really anything funny about it. It is just them saying they expect black people to sound a certain way and you don't fit that. Instead of them opening their perspective that black people don't all sound like they're from the hood, they write us off as "sounding white". Instead of allowing their perspective that black people can be different, they quarantine us into these weird special cases.

Altairre

Reminds me of when the "Most likely to live in this town for the rest of their life", award in elementary school was given to a mentally disabled kid in our class.

What a shocker that this happened in Texas. I would hope that there is something done about this but knowing the culture there she'll probably get a raise and a promotion. Pretty sad people can defend this with a straight face saying it was a joke.

My guess is she will run for local office and win.

As someone who had to go through post-9/11 high school being constantly called a terrorist by students, faculty and coworkers, this has me fucking seething. That teacher and everyone who took part in such mockery are horrible, horrible fucking people.

KillLaCam

Banned
Eh, as a Black guy who similarly is always told I "sound white", people need to cut that shit out. There isn't really anything funny about it. It is just them saying they expect black people to sound a certain way and you don't fit that. Instead of them opening their perspective that black people don't all sound like they're from the hood, they write us off as "sounding white". Instead of allowing their perspective that black people can be different, they quarantine us into these weird special cases.

90% for me it's another black person. For some reason alot of people (of all races) think that speaking proper English means you sound white. Which is ridiculous.

I've actually never been told that I sound white by a white person, they've literally always said "surfer dude" it's just that the stereotypical surfer happens to be white. Nothing to do with speaking like someone "from the hood" or proper English.

That's pretty much the only reason it wouldn't have bothered me in my personal situation. 99% of the time it'd be offensive

Rmagnus

Banned
I guess that so called teacher has the u need a new job award, come on people... Have some common decency. How the hell does someone like this becomes a teacher.

Surfinn

Sounds like some fucked up version of the Dundie Awards

As someone who works in education, I find this completely disgusting. This is even inexcusable to do at work with actual adults.

Top Bottom